PDA

View Full Version : MLB Team Can't Make Payroll?

whitesoxwilkes
07-11-2002, 06:49 AM
Saw an article on Bloomberg news this morning where Bud came right out and said 2 teams are in serious jeopardy right now--one of them might not be able to make payroll this coming Monday and the other has so much debt that they may not be able to play out the season. Of course, he's not naming names, got any ideas as to who they might be?

sox_fan_4life
07-11-2002, 07:13 AM
The same article is on espn.com right now.
I read that and my gut started hurting, what if one of them is the Sox?
Porbably just my paranoia talking.

Paulwny
07-11-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
The same article is on espn.com right now.
I read that and my gut started hurting, what if one of them is the Sox?
Porbably just my paranoia talking.

LOL, you're not alone. The thought also crossed my mind.

Viva Magglio
07-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

LOL, you're not alone. The thought also crossed my mind.

While KW has said things like "We cannot afford the team we have," I actually think we're not in as bad shape as Tampa Bay and Arizona are. They are rumored to be the two teams in the most trouble.

Paulwny
07-11-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

While KW has said things like "We cannot afford the team we have," I actually think we're not in as bad shape as Tampa Bay and Arizona are. They are rumored to be the two teams in the most trouble.

Bud's statement was that the 2nd team in trouble "Will surprise you". It could be a well established team.

TheGipper
07-11-2002, 08:19 AM
I heard the one that might not make the payroll on Monday is the Detroit Tigers. ESPN also stated that it might be the reason that they let Weaver go the way they did to help them free up money to take care of other needs and keep their head above water.

Kilroy
07-11-2002, 08:30 AM
just reading that it might be the tigers was surprising...

duke of dorwood
07-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Right, considering the new stadium, already low payroll, and they have to get some decent broadcast $ being in Detroit. I know they havent been drawing well. Maybe they have a bad deal on the new stadium.

Viva Magglio
07-11-2002, 09:37 AM
I still say it's Arizona. Jerry Colangelo's organization is in HUGE debt problems, and he had had several players already defer their salaries already. I think they are drawing relatively well, but they're not knocking down the gates to Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix to get in.

Paulwny
07-11-2002, 10:01 AM
How about Toronto ?
They gave Mondesi away for an A player, an obvious salary dump.
Supposedly any player is available.
The value of the Canadian $ vs the US $. All player contracts are payable in US $$. I've heard this complaint out of Toronto for a few years now.
Attendance keeps dropping every year.

raul12
07-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
How about Toronto ?
They gave Mondesi away for an A player, an obvious salary dump.
Supposedly any player is available.
The value of the Canadian $ vs the US $. All player contracts are payable in US $$. I've heard this complaint out of Toronto for a few years now.
Attendance keeps dropping every year.

yes, the canadian dollar is very weak--has been for the last 4 years or so (exchange rate about 1.50 Can to 1.00 US).

It's anybody's guess as to who it might be....this seems a much more legit claim than the one he made earlier regarding several teams. I doubt it's the sox...that would be awful though.

Cheryl
07-11-2002, 10:39 AM
I say Bud's lying.

nut_stock
07-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Well, if true the 2 teams won't remain secret for much longer.

nut_stock
07-11-2002, 10:45 AM
And I don't see how one of those teams could possibly be the Sox. It seems that Reinsdorf, although an ass, has been fiscally responsible compared to everyone else.

raul12
07-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
And I don't see how one of those teams could possibly be the Sox. It seems that Reinsdorf, although an ass, has been fiscally responsible compared to everyone else.

if responsible means cheap ass, then yes. :whiner:

nut_stock
07-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by raul12

if responsible means cheap ass, then yes. :whiner:

DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Dadawg_77
07-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Tampa Bay is rumored to be the other team, the one that might not make through the year.

Paulwny
07-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Az gm claims they are NOT one of the 2 teams.

whitesoxwilkes
07-11-2002, 01:06 PM
as does Detroit. According to MLB's COO,all teams will be able to meet their July 15th payroll.

Daver
07-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I say Bud's lying.

I agree with Cheryl.

Seems kind of strange that this is revealed right after he botched the call on the ASG,and on the day before the CBA negotiations are due to resume.

Bud is building a public sympathy case in effort to force the union NOT to strike for fear of public perception,a tactic that will most likley will not work and add fuel to the union's fire.

ma-gaga
07-11-2002, 01:52 PM
I thought Bud was saying this to deflect additional criticism from the All-star game fiasco.

:)

MarkEdward
07-11-2002, 05:46 PM
So says ESPN:

http://www.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0710/1404343.html

Here's my theory: Selig made this outrageous statement on Wednesday, without consulting anyone. Some of the smarter members of MLB management, knowing most (if not all) teams were in pretty good shape financially, needed to straighten things out. So they say this "mystery team" got a "loan" to help pay the players. Selig's statement was just trying to scare the union. Another plan blows up in Selig's face.

TheBigHurt
07-11-2002, 05:58 PM
ill believe when i see it. They've been saying this for so long now

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
ill believe when i see it. They've been saying this for so long now the owners should really open their books and show us the proof.

voodoochile
07-11-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
ill believe when i see it. They've been saying this for so long now

Yeah, I say if you can't run your $200 million dollar asset, then you should sell it and take the money...

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Tampa Bay is rumored to be the other team, the one that might not make through the year.

If that happens, does that mean that the remainder of that team's schedule would end in forfeits? If so, that means that we could etch in 7 more victories for this season!

Heather the Redbird

ISUSoxfan
07-12-2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Yeah, I say if you can't run your $200 million dollar asset, then you should sell it and take the money...
Exactly!