PDA

View Full Version : * OFFICIAL * SOX WIN, SOX WIN OH MY GOD THE WHITE SOX WON Thread

doublem23
07-09-2011, 05:49 PM
:bandance:

soxnut1018
Perpetual losers.

cws05champ
didn't see it but glad they won!!!

russ99
07-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Walk off vs. the Twins. Sweeeeet.

A win tomorrow will go a long way.

spawn
07-09-2011, 05:51 PM
It's a Festivus MIRACLE!!!

soxfanatlanta
07-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Wait...what?

Brian26
Glad the Sox won this one, but, again, pretty brutal managing in the 9th inning with the inexplicable choice NOT to bunt in the most obvious, necessary situation.

Get them tomorrow and at least split the series.

DSpivack

Yay! No need to celebrate, we air grievances here daily!

sunofgold
Time for us to own the Twins for awhile. They aren't unbeatable! 3 unearned runs was ugly. Could have shut them out today, but still a winner is a winner. I take it . Put it on the board.

DickAllen72
07-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Sox won this game despite Ozzie's terrible mis-managing. He should be fired for the way he managed this game.

LongLiveFisk
The Twins suck. :tongue:

kufram
Nice to see the team smiling.

PeteWard
Despite the bad defense and giving the Twins three runs, that was a hell of an exciting game. For the first time in a log time I had a feeling that the clutch hit would come and thanks to Alexei, it did. Also thanks to the CF who robbed us earlier for a pathetic throw home to let AJ score.

Good game by Marc, Crain and clutch hitting by Pauly and Carlos to tie the game twice.

And Thome achieved the impossible. He looked worse than Dunn. :bandance:

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Sox won this game despite Ozzie's terrible mis-managing. He should be fired for the may he managed this game.

Many of our hitters have been in a season long hitting slump. Ozzie has been in a season long managing slump.

KMcMahon817
07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Great win, boys. Piss poor managing, Oz.

Another nice game for Juany.

Get better, Ramon. Hopefully it is not a serious break. Lucy or Flowers time?

DickAllen72
Glad the Sox won this one, but, again, pretty brutal managing in the 9th inning with the inexplicable choice NOT to bunt in the most obvious, necessary situation.

And the terrible choice in the eighth to take the bat out of the Sox' hottest hitter's hands (Ramirez) by making him bunt the runner from first and consequently taking the bat out of thier best hitters hands (Konerko).

PeteWard
Many of our hitters have been in a season long hitting slump. Ozzie has been in a season long managing slump.

Jesus, the Sox won. Enjoy it.

doublem23

Ozzie just had a terrible, terrible game today. I guess he's just trying to purposefully make mistakes to build some kind of an "us vs. him" mentality?

Maybe?

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Jesus, the Sox won. Enjoy it.

I am.

Just saying.

sunofgold
Beckham doesn't know how to bunt. That is why Ozzie let him hit away.

voodoochile
ZOMG!

I can't watch because of FOX and their wonderful restrictions on Saturday afternoons but I'm sitting there at home reading the screen as Beckham (in all his glorious stupidity) fails to hit the ball to the right side in the ninth which would of course (at least as far as I can tell by reading) have turned Teahen's flyball to center into the GWRBI, but then up comes Juan so I start chanting "in play, run(s)" at my laptop while praying for a miracle and dreading what comes next and of course Juan fails to drive in the run, but manages to work a walk and keep the inning going. Up comes Alexei and it's back to chanting "in play, run(s)" and then after taking one right in his sweet spot Alexei does the impossible and puts the ball in play which leads to run(s) and all of a sudden I can't stop smiling. Imagine that.

A win against the Twinkies? I repeat ZOMG!

3 games under! 5 games back!

:soxwin:
(has it really only been since Monday since I got to use that tag? It feels like so much longer)

:)

:supernana:

PeteWard
Great win, boys. Piss poor managing, Oz.

Another nice game for Juany.

Get better, Ramon. Hopefully it is not a serious break. Lucy or Flowers time?

Not sure who the #1 backup is :scratch: ...but he should be packing for the airport already.

billyvsox
07-09-2011, 05:57 PM

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Ozzie just had a terrible, terrible game today. I guess he's just trying to purposefully make mistakes to build some kind of an "us vs. him" mentality?

Maybe?

Are you insane?

ChiSoxGal85
07-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Yay! :bandance: I couldn't take another heartbreaking loss to the Twinkies. We're headed to tomorrow's game, and now I think the atmosphere will be a little more fun.

Buehrle was AWESOME today and Alexei was the game hero.

I wish Ozzie would quit putting Dunn anywhere near Konerko in the batting order.

I heard Castro's hand was broken. :(: that really sucks, he does a great job as a solid backup...now we'll be getting a backup catcher from the minors, ack.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 05:59 PM
:rolling:

Not to mention Ozzie's decision to NOT pinch-run for Castro.

Holy crap, I forgot what a win over the Twins felt like.

doublem23
Beckham doesn't know how to bunt. That is why Ozzie let him hit away.

Alexei is easily the worst bunter on this team yet he told him to put one down an inning earlier. BTW, Beckham has the 2nd most SH on this team.

PalehosePlanet
Sox won this game despite Ozzie's terrible mis-managing. He should be fired for the way he managed this game.

We won despite the ineptitude of our own manager, a huge error, a passed ball that our catcher broke his hand on, and a ****ty call.

That's what a couple of 2 out RISP hits will do for you. Imagine that, clutch hits win games? Who knew?

voodoochile
3GwjfUFyY6M

russ99
07-09-2011, 06:00 PM

Please enlighten me. For leaving in Buerhle in a tie game? Really terrible mismanaging.

doublem23
Are you insane?

Trying to be positive, the alternative is Ozzie called the game today like he did because he is, yes, a complete ****ing moron.

billyvsox
Pigs Fly...Monkeys coming out of butts...hell is freezing, but its feels good to beat the Twinkees on a saturday, so I can go out tonight feeling good!

Oh yeah...Ozzie is brutal....DSNB Peavy on the bump tomorrow for the split and the MUCH NEEDED all star break.

DickAllen72
07-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Maybe?
On another website they are saying Cowley is reporting that KW approached two former managers to guage their interest in the Sox job and one of them called up Ozzie and told him about it. Consider the source, but still interesting.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 06:02 PM
On another website they are saying Cowley is reporting that KW approached two former managers to guage their interest in the Sox job and one of them called up Ozzie and told him about it. Consider the source, but still interesting.
Are you suggesting Ozzie is "dogging it" because he suspects he won't be around much longer?

doublem23
Please enlighten me. For leaving in Buerhle in a tie game? Really terrible mismanaging.

The most damning was the Alexei bunt... You take the bat out of your 2nd best hitter's hand... So the other team can walk your best hitter... To face your worst hitter.

And then in the 9th, you don't bunt AJ over even with the Twins playing back on the infield.

Luckily TCQ and Alexei came through with some clutch hits, but Ozzie managed this game horribly... HORRIBLY.

DickAllen72
If that's what you think people are referring to then you have no clue. Bunting Ramirez in the eighth and not bunting Beckham in the ninth.

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:04 PM
OK, Ozzie made two mistakes. I agree. But guys, the Sox won the game. :rolleyes:

This is getting tiresome.

DickAllen72
07-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Are you suggesting Ozzie is "dogging it" because he suspects he won't be around much longer?
Maybe his head's not in the game because his heart is in Miami. I don't know. He didn't seem too passionate arguing that blown call at first either.

JB98
07-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Maybe?

This notion has crossed my mind. I've wondered if Ozzie has kept Dunn high in the order just to say, "Look at this piece of **** DH KW gave me."

For several years, I haven't felt like KW and Ozzie are on the same page. KW wants a slugging, OPS team. He brought in Swisher in 2008. He wanted to keep Thome for 2010, but caved in to Ozzie. Then, he signed Dunn.

Meanwhile, Ozzie likes speed and versatility -- to a fault. Players like Pierre, Kotsay and Vizquel have been given more AB than they merit in recent years.

Thank goodness we won today. The boys overcame some real clown shoes crap in the dugout to get this victory.

Nice swing by Ramirez in the ninth, not too greedy, took what the pitcher gave him.

rookie
07-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Walk off vs. the Twins. Sweeeeet.

A win tomorrow will go a long way.

How are you 5-1 at the Cell this season? I am 0-5, but I'm going tomorrow so hopefully I'll be 1-5.

billyvsox
07-09-2011, 06:06 PM
The most damning was the Alexei bunt... You take the bat out of your 2nd best hitter's hand... So the other team can walk your best hitter... To face your worst hitter.

And then in the 9th, you don't bunt AJ over even with the Twins playing back on the infield.

Luckily TCQ and Alexei came through with some clutch hits, but Ozzie managed this game horribly... HORRIBLY.

Ditto....Twitto....well said.

I really think Ozzie has to be a little smarter then he manages. I think he is just trying to be especially stubborn, maybe he does want to be fired, who knows. Every move he made was questionable or downright stupid.

The players must see this too and maybe leads to their percieved lack of interest or fire.

guillensdisciple
07-09-2011, 06:07 PM
2-4 in 19 game stretch.

Here's the deal, I don't think it will happen but the White Sox NEED to win tomorrow to salvage the season. This might be the type of win that gets us on a roll if we follow it up tomorrow and go into the break with a little bit of steam. We will be 2 games under and at worst 5.5 back. That 's pretty ****ty but it's not a horrible margin to overcome- I am solely basing this on the fact that maybe, just maybe, these hitters will wake up but we'll see.

I will be wary of the usual August and September pitching swoon though, so there are a lot of factors involved but the White Sox can do it. Tomorrows game essentially should decide whether the White Sox should sell or hold during the trade deadline.

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Maybe his head's not in the game because his heart is in Miami. I don't know. He didn't seem too passionate arguing that blown call at first either.

It was not possible to see that the guy was safe until the second replay. No way Ozzie could have seen that from his vantage point and no Sox player argued. Please, criticize his actual mistakes ---which are legion this year--but don't just make **** up.

russ99
07-09-2011, 06:11 PM
If that's what you think people are referring to then you have no clue. Bunting Ramirez in the eighth and not bunting Beckham in the ninth.

Really, you're all complaining about moving Pierre into scoring position - where he actually scored??

I guess then we should all swing for the fences and wish for that runner in scoring position after the loss.

BTW - we scored in the 9th too, in case you missed it.

But, please don't let me dissuade you from your lovely "Fire Ozzie" angry mob.

So done with this garbage. Enjoy the all-star break, I sure will enjoy a break from all this negativity.

spawn
07-09-2011, 06:13 PM
OK, Ozzie made two mistakes. I agree. But guys, the Sox won the game. :rolleyes:

This is getting tiresome.

I've been one that can be labeled an Oz-aplogist because I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this **** is getting ridiculous. Yes, they won the game, but that doesn't excuse the piss poor decisions he's been making all season long. Today is yet another example. They won this game in spite of him, not because of him.

October26
07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
:twinslose

:bandance: It feels so good to see this - Gracias, Alexei! :bandance:

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I've been one that can be labeled an Oz-aplogist because I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this **** is getting ridiculous. Yes, they won the game, but that doesn't excuse the piss poor decisions he's been making all season long. Today is yet another example. They won this game in spite of him, not because of him.

Stop making so much sense. :thumbsup:

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Fine but the Sox won and well over 50% of the posts are negative. It makes me sick as I came to the board for a little post-game positivity --dwell on the win a bit -- and mostly negative crap appears.

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
:twinslose

It feels so good to see this - Gracias, Alexei! :bandance:

But Ozzie sucks! What's wrong with you?

Soxfest
07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I still want OG and Walker gone 1 win in 7 tries does not get it!:angry:

JB98
07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Really, you're all complaining about moving Pierre into scoring position - where he actually scored??

I guess then we should all swing for the fences and wish for that runner in scoring position after the loss.

BTW - we scored in the 9th too, in case you missed it.

But, please don't let me dissuade you from your lovely "Fire Ozzie" angry mob.

So done with this garbage. Enjoy the all-star break, I sure will enjoy a break from all this negativity.

He took the bat out of both Alexei's hands and Paulie's hands in the eighth. That's unforgivable managing.

Quentin bailed Ozzie's ass out.

Ask anybody, I've been an Ozzie defender throughout most of his tenure. But the managing is just dog**** this year. ****ing dog****. I haven't see anything this bad coming out of the Sox dugout since 1997.

spawn
07-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Fine but the Sox won and well over 50% of the posts are negative. It makes me sick as I came to the board for a little post-game positivity --dwell on the win a bit -- and mostly negative crap appears.

Let's see...the Sox are still 3 games under .500 after a listless series against the Royals, a poor showing in the first game of this series, blow a 4 run lead yesterday, and almost have Ozzie manage them to a loss with his decisions today. You were expecting sunshine and rainbows in this thread? I'm about as optimistic a Sox fan on this board, and even I'm frustrated with this team.

Tragg
07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
He took the bat out of both Alexei's hands and Paulie's hands in the eighth. That's unforgivable managing.

Quentin bailed Ozzie's ass out.

Ask anybody, I've been an Ozzie defender throughout most of his tenure. But the managing is just dog**** this year. ****ing dog****. I haven't see anything this bad coming out of the Sox dugout since 1997.
Exactly.
Guillen's decision making is beyond bad. He can't think one move ahead and thinks nothing of giving away outs (at least they didn't strike out, the greates sin in Ozzie-land!)
He won't take Castro out of the lineup for a PR, but he'll take Konerko.
Oh and there's a big difference between giving away outs by bunting late in a tie game and bunting late when you are losing.
Glad to win.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
When you've been dominated for so long by one opponent, getting ONE win over them really does not seem like enough. We need much more than this.
Let's see...the Sox are still 3 games under .500 after a listless series against the Royals, a poor showing in the first game of this series, blow a 5 run lead yesterday, and almost have Ozzie manage them to a loss with his decisions today. You were expecting sunshine and rainbows in this thread? I'm about as optimistic a Sox fan on this board, and even I'm frustrated with this team.
It was only a 4-run lead, Spawn!!! :cool:

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Let's see...the Sox are still 3 games under .500 after a listless series against the Royals, a poor showing in the first game of this series, blow a 4 run lead yesterday, and almost have Ozzie manage them to a loss with his decisions today. You were expecting sunshine and rainbows in this thread? I'm about as optimistic a Sox fan on this board, and even I'm frustrated with this team.

Who isn't frustrated with the season? I just thought that the way the team came back from deficits twice with great clutch hitting somehow merited some discussion in a post-game thread. I guess not with this crowd.

spawn
07-09-2011, 06:28 PM
It was only a 4-run lead, Spawn!!! :cool:

Yeah, I realized that after I posted and changed it.:redface:

October26
07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
But Ozzie sucks! What's wrong with you?

:rolling:

I was mad at Ozzie during the gamethread but a win is a win and against the Twins? Hell yeah, I'll take it! Kudos to Buehrle for an outstanding outing today. Crain was good too. Love Alexei - Sox win! :bliss:

JB98
07-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Who isn't frustrated with the season? I just thought that the way the team came back from deficits twice with great clutch hitting somehow merited some discussion in a post-game thread. I guess not with this crowd.

I want the Sox to go to the playoffs this year. It's no wonder the team is mired in third place with all the foolishness that has gone on.

One win over a crap Minnesota team isn't going to change my point of view.

spawn

The decisions Ozzie made in this game were pretty poor. You thought we would ignore them because they won?

A. Cavatica

Five seasons and counting...

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I want the Sox to go to the playoffs this year. It's no wonder the team is mired in third place with all the foolishness that has gone on.

One win over a crap Minnesota team isn't going to change my point of view.

That was not my point but please, continue to enjoy your endless wallow in misery. I had a good time watching the Sox win.

JB98
07-09-2011, 06:42 PM
That was not my point but please, continue to enjoy your endless wallow in misery. I had a good time watching the Sox win.

What makes you think I'm miserable?

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:44 PM
What makes you think I'm miserable?

It was kind of a collective shot at all the negativity here. Sorry should not have directed it at you. For the record, it would not upset me if OG were canned at the break. I just kinda wanted to go over the win here today and only two or so others seem like-minded.

JB98
07-09-2011, 06:50 PM
It was kind of a collective shot at all the negativity here. Sorry should not have directed it at you. For the record, it would not upset me if OG were canned at the break. I just kinda wanted to go over the win here today and only two or so others seem like-minded.

We are all Sox fans and we all want the team to do well.

I just see a lot of problems with the organization right now, and I've lost confidence in the current regime.

It seems even when this team wins I find myself shaking my head at some things. I hate the Minnesota Twins with a fiery passion, and I'm glad the Sox (finally) beat them today. It just irritates me that the boys had to overcome some real foolishness coming out of the dugout this afternoon.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 06:50 PM
This one's for you, PeteWard! :cool:

6xB4W8thG28

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
This one's for you, PeteWard! :cool:

6xB4W8thG28

:bandance: Merci. It was played just about hourly for six months on WLS when I was 10 or 11. Ouch. Those pants hurt my eyes.

DickAllen72
07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
For the record, it would not upset me if OG were canned at the break. I just kinda wanted to go over the win here today and only two or so others seem like-minded.
Great game by Alexie and kudos for AJ coming up big after replacing the injured Castro.

Buehrle was simply excellent and deserved to win. Great defensive play by Crain there in the ninth.

Always great to beat the Twins. Let's totally kick their asses tomorrow! :gulp:

PeteWard
07-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Great game by Alexie and kudos for AJ coming up big after replacing the injured Castro.

Buehrle was simply excellent and deserved to win. Great defensive play by Crain there in the ninth.

Always great to beat the Twins. Let's totally kick their asses tomorrow! :gulp:

Quentin with a nice grab near the wall too. He has been coming on defensively.

TDog
07-09-2011, 07:12 PM

I was surprised as well that Bechham didn't bunt, but you don't need to bunt to get the runner over to third, especially with first base open. Old-school fundamental baseball is hitting it on the ground behind the runner. Bunting has became more common as salaries went up with free agency coupled with arbitration.

Guillen said in 2005 when asked about bunting in that situation that hitters are generally directed to get the runner over, and it is up to them whether to bunt. I don't know if that continues to be the case, but hitters many times will sacrifice (or attempt as much) a runner to third becaue it has no affect on either the batting average or on-base percentage. If you're playing the percentages, hitting to the right side is superior to bunting, in part because it can result in a hit, especially for a left-hander shaded to pull. But it depends on the hitter and it depends on the defense. Some hitters, particularly left-handed hitters with power, look to drive the ball deep to right to advance the runner if not drive him in. Of course, in this case, Beckham swung away and flied out to left. Whether he woulld have moved the runner over to third with a bunt doesn't matter, fortunately, because Ramirez picked him up with a two-out hit.

It comes down more to execution than to managing, although there are times when players don't execute that the manager is called an idiot for demanding they do things they can't do (i.e. Ramirez bunting into a triple play on a spectacular catch in the third game of the season, although he has has successfully sacrificed since and has even bunted on his own) I am guessing that if Beckham bunted into an out at third, Guillen would be called an idiot for bunting, even if Ramirez had singled after moving Beckham to second.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have bunted there. But if Beckham can't hit to the right side in that situation, he probably should be bunting.

Buehrle pitched a great game. The Twins showed the importance of getting runners to third with less than two outs, pushing across three unearned runs. Had Twins relievers kept the White Sox from getting two two-out hits with runners in scoring position, they would have made the three unearned runs stand up.

It is nice to see Sox starters keep the team in the game. This team will only go as far as the starting pitchers will take them, and for the last two months they have been winning more well-pitched games than most teams.

The Sox won because they got great starting pitching. They haven't had a starter keep them in the game since the first game of the homestand.

sachin
07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Ozzie flat out sucks managing this year! Why, he's telling Adam Dunn to play as bad as he can! And today, OMG, he should have replaced AJP with Lillibridge as a runner -- why didn't he do that in this game? I think all the REAL baseball geniuses who've clearly played the game, managed a pro team AND post on WSI should apply for the job as White Sox skipper TODAY!

Boondock Saint
07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah, Ozzie flat out sucks managing this year! Why, he's telling Adam Dunn to play as bad as he can! And today, OMG, he should have replaced AJP with Lillibridge as a runner -- why didn't he do that in this game? I think all the REAL baseball geniuses who've clearly played the game, managed a pro team AND post on WSI should apply for the job as White Sox skipper TODAY!

Brilliant job avoiding the point that everyone's been making and putting words in everybody's mouths.

Brian26
07-09-2011, 07:21 PM

We wouldn't have needed a pinch runner to score from third on that sac fly if AJ had been bunted over.

Marqhead
07-09-2011, 07:23 PM

I was beside myself with that decision. Oz likes to bunt, but not when the game is on the line apparently? :scratch:

Alexei was the guy I wanted at the plate for that last at bat, glad he came through. Fun day at the ballpark.

TDog
07-09-2011, 07:28 PM
We wouldn't have needed a pinch runner to score from third on that sac fly if AJ had been bunted over.

And you don't need to bunt to get him over.

JB98
07-09-2011, 07:29 PM

Adam Dunn is playing as bad as he can. That's why you bat him lower in the order, so the opposing manager doesn't have free rein to walk Paul Konerko intentionally with the game hanging in the balance.

Ozzie is doing a horrible job this season. He's Bevington-like. It's like he's trying to get fired.

sachin
07-09-2011, 07:30 PM

... and if that happened and then Teahen fans, what would the complaint be? Also, how did today's game ACTUALLY end?

JB98
07-09-2011, 07:35 PM
... and if that happened and then Teahen fans, what would the complaint be? Also, how did today's game ACTUALLY end?

The complaint would be that Teahen stinks.

If the manager puts the players in position to succeed and they fail anyway, it's the players' fault.

The Sox manager is setting his guys up to fail a lot this year.

spawn
07-09-2011, 07:37 PM

If the manager puts the players in position to succeed and they fail anyway, it's the players' fault.

Yep. And the thing that has turned me off of Ozzie this year is he's so willing to throw the players under the bus when they don't produce, but he has no problem with his bad managerial decisions.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Yep. And the thing that has turned me off of Ozzie this year is he's so willing to throw the players under the bus when they don't produce, but he has no problem with his bad managerial decisions.
AND he defends Greg Walker.

TDog
07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Adam Dunn is playing as bad as he can. That's why you bat him lower in the order, so the opposing manager doesn't have free rein to walk Paul Konerko intentionally with the game hanging in the balance.

Ozzie is doing a horrible job this season. He's Bevington-like. It's like he's trying to get fired.

Konerko is going to be walked in that situation no matter who is batting behind him.

Arguing that Guillen is a bad manager for batting Dunn in any RBI position in the order is close to arguing that Guillen is a bad manager for pllaying Dunn at all. Dunn does have a .432 on-base percentage in the 11 games he has started batting seventh in the order because pitchers are pitching around him, just as they did when he played for the Reds and Nationals. But the Sox didn't sign him so that pitchers could pitch around him when he comes up with weaker hitters on deck.

BainesHOF
07-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Okay, we finally beat the Twins, but so what? It's just more bad baseball by this team "led" by Guillen, who's doing so many dumb things now that I wonder if he's doing them on purpose.

And our big mouth manager can't even back up Konerko and argue a blown call, which wound up temporarily costing us the lead. What the heck?

I'm glad to hear Kenny is investing options to replace Guillen. It's long overdue.

JB98
07-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Konerko is going to be walked in that situation no matter who is batting behind him.

Arguing that Guillen is a bad manager for batting Dunn in any RBI position in the order is close to arguing that Guillen is a bad manager for pllaying Dunn at all. Dunn does have a .432 on-base percentage in the 11 games he has started batting seventh in the order because pitchers are pitching around him, just as they did when he played for the Reds and Nationals. But the Sox didn't sign him so that pitchers could pitch around him when he comes up with weaker hitters on deck.

Nonsense. With a man at first and one out, they are not going to walk Konerko intentionally. He's an inviting double-play target, so they'd pitch to him and try to get him to hit it on the ground. In doing so, they might make a mistake and leave one up.

If pitchers are pitching around Dunn, they are crazy. I'd lob it up there underhand to him before I'd walk him.

Soxman219
07-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I looked up and checked scores on my phone and saw the Sox scored more runs than the Twins today. I thought it was just a typo at first, then I looked at other score sites and it was true! :bandance::bandance:
Go for two in a row tomorrow.

DickAllen72
07-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Quentin with a nice grab near the wall too. He has been coming on defensively.
Yep. And a big hit too.

steviestayfresh
07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I read in the bottom of the box score on espn.com that Ramon Castro broke his hand in the 8th inning. Going to the DL? Who is getting called up? Viciedo or Flowers? I would probably think Flowers since they don't want to go wtih AJ as the only catcher on the roster.

Brian26
07-09-2011, 08:56 PM
I read in the bottom of the box score on espn.com that Ramon Castro broke his hand in the 8th inning. Going to the DL? Who is getting called up? Viciedo or Flowers? I would probably think Flowers since they don't want to go wtih AJ as the only catcher on the roster.

Flowers comes up. He left the game in Charlotte and was replaced by Lucy. Peavy has glowing reviews of Flowers from his rehap assignments down there. Flowers hit a HR today in his game with the Knights. Castro's been an unsung hero, but Flowers should be a capable replacement. Hopefully he gets enough ABs.

DickAllen72
07-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Flowers. He was pulled out of the game at Charlotte today shortly after Castro broke his hand. Had a HR in the game before he was pulled, I believe .

TheOldRoman
07-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Nonsense. With a man at first and one out, they are not going to walk Konerko intentionally. He's an inviting double-play target, so they'd pitch to him and try to get him to hit it on the ground. In doing so, they might make a mistake and leave one up.

If pitchers are pitching around Dunn, they are crazy. I'd lob it up there underhand to him before I'd walk him.Exactly. I laughed when Mitch Williams said, "Wow, I can't believe he would go right at Dunn there. He is playing with fire," or something like that. Dunn is seeing multiple meatballs per AB at this point. Pitchers know that he will take pitches over the heart of the plate and then swing at balls a foot outside. Nobody is pitching around him. In TDog's defense, I believe the situation he was talking about was after the bunt, with first base open. I agree that Konerko would be walked with first base open no matter who was batting behind him. That still doesn't justify the bunt.

I normally like Williams, but I was a little ticked when he said how the umps gave the Sox a make-up call in the 8th on the bunt to move the Twins runner over. Sure that call was missed in the Sox' favor, but it wasn't a make-up call because the guy who got on via a horrible call (he was out by three feet) was now at 2B and ended up scoring the go ahead run. Luckily (and amazingly) the Sox came back to win.

doublem23
07-09-2011, 09:53 PM

What negativity? No one is being negative for pointing out that Ozzie managed an absolutely terrible game today. Just like if Buehrle went out and let the Twins score 10 runs in the 1st, but the Sox came back and won 11-10, it wouldn't be negative to say, "great win, but Buehrle sucked."

Ozzie's moves this afternoon were indefensible. INDEFENSIBLE. Almost as bad as watching Terry Bevington clown it up by calling for a relief pitcher with no one warming in the bullpen.

Happy the Sox won and broke the losing streak. Will be ecstatic if they win tomorrow and salvage the series. But they got to get a lot better in a lot of facets of the game, especially game management.

doublem23
07-09-2011, 09:54 PM

That is not true. And, even suspending reality for a second and believe that it was, then at least you have your 2nd/3rd best hitter in Alexei, swinging the bat. Bunting Pierre over to 2nd guarantees neither Alexei or Konerko would get a pitch to hit. If the Twins want to put the tying run in scoring position via intentional walk, let 'em.

ShooterMcGavin
07-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Buehrle looked strong and had 8 strikeouts.

Ramirez was the player of the game.

I feel for Castro, he's been doing well in his backup role. Looks like Tyler Flowers will be called up.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I guess the positive here with Castro is that it did happen pretty much right before the All Star break, so he probably won't miss as many games.

DumpJerry
07-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok, who bumped a thread from 2005? The Sox beat the Twins in 2011? Yeah right. I'll keep an eye out for flying pigs....

Lip Man 1
07-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Thankful for a win, ANY win.

Losing Castro hurts, very good backup. He'll be out at least two weeks, says he broke the knuckle on his hand.

Lip

delben91
07-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Don't worry, the Sox will lose tomorrow and everything will be back to normal. I have a feeling we're back into 1 win a week territory with this team once again.

Their level of suckiness is truly disgusting to me. Horrendous excuse for a baseball team.

GlassSox
07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
We had a great time at the cell today. Nice job by Alexei. Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Nelfox02
07-09-2011, 10:28 PM
When the Twins scored the third run that late---I figured it was over. Still shocked they found a way to win this game.

Win tomorrow, and it is still a dissapointing 3-4 stand, but 3-4 sure looks a hell of a lot better than 2-5.......huge game for this team tomorrow, maybe more from a mental point of view than anything else

Oz was terrible today........

looks like we picked up a game on Det and Cle today....bonus.....

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Don't worry, the Sox will lose tomorrow and everything will be back to normal. I have a feeling we're back into 1 win a week territory with this team once again.

Their level of suckiness is truly disgusting to me. Horrendous excuse for a baseball team.
Only when it's the Twins we are playing. This team plays with a bit more emotion/seems to care a bit more when we're not playing the Twins.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-09-2011, 10:43 PM
That is not true. And, even suspending reality for a second and believe that it was, then at least you have your 2nd/3rd best hitter in Alexei, swinging the bat. Bunting Pierre over to 2nd guarantees neither Alexei or Konerko would get a pitch to hit. If the Twins want to put the tying run in scoring position via intentional walk, let 'em.

That bunt call was horrible. And then he compounds the mistake by pinch running Vizquel. Damn fool.

flo-B-flo
07-09-2011, 11:40 PM
This notion has crossed my mind. I've wondered if Ozzie has kept Dunn high in the order just to say, "Look at this piece of **** DH KW gave me."

For several years, I haven't felt like KW and Ozzie are on the same page. KW wants a slugging, OPS team. He brought in Swisher in 2008. He wanted to keep Thome for 2010, but caved in to Ozzie. Then, he signed Dunn.

Meanwhile, Ozzie likes speed and versatility -- to a fault. Players like Pierre, Kotsay and Vizquel have been given more AB than they merit in recent years.

Thank goodness we won today. Been thinking some of this for a while. Trying to show JR who would be at fault.....

Zakath
07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
That bunt call was horrible. And then he compounds the mistake by pinch running Vizquel. Damn fool.

A number of boneheaded managerial mistakes were made that we somehow overcame.

Bruizer
07-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Finally beat the Twins! :bandance:

We almost didn't go - glad we were there for it!

Foulke You
07-10-2011, 01:10 AM

The decision to sac bunt Alexei was indeed a horrible one in the 8th because Alexei was hot and you knew that Paulie would get walked. However, I wasn't as upset as others about the non-bunt in the 9th. I think Ozzie may have seen this team fail way too many times this season with a runner at 3B and less than 2 outs to try that anymore. AJ is a decent runner for a catcher and he rolled the dice that we would get that runner home with three batters to do it and no chance at a conventional double play. This pathetic offense needs every out they can get to score a runner from 2B.

I haven't see anything this bad coming out of the Sox dugout since 1997.
I was thinking this year's Ozzie has compared more to 2003 Jerry Manuel right down to the daily rotating batting lineups and underachieving squad. 1997 Bevington was complete and utter idiocy. I don't think Ozzie has reached that level yet.

SI1020
07-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Been thinking some of this for a while. Trying to show JR who would be at fault..... Add me to the list.

Sad
07-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Only when it's the Twins we are playing. This team plays with a bit more emotion/seems to care a bit more when we're not playing the Twins.

errr the previous Royals series :scratch:

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2011, 10:22 AM

I've always been an Ozzie supporter but even I am beginning to wonder about this myself.