PDA

View Full Version : Gammons- Twins will win Central

Fenway
07-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Gammo on WEEI this morning says he now thinks the Twins will win the Centreal....they are poised for a good second half run and the other 3 teams ahead of them are ripe to be taken.

On the White Sox he expects Ozzie will be fired at the break...and said KW knows his neck is on the line - The Chairman is very, very unhappy.

Ozzie could well be managing the Marlins by next weekend he added.

tstrike2000
07-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Gammons going out on that proverbial limb again in regards to the Twins. I doubt anything will happen with Ozzie, as usual. If that makes Cora manager, then why bother.

SI1020
07-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Gammons going out on that proverbial limb again in regards to the Twins. I doubt anything will happen with Ozzie, as usual. If that makes Cora manager, then why bother. I actually agree with Gammons about the Twins. I didn't advertise it here, not being in the mood for the wrath that would have descended on me. As for the
Chairman being unhappy, I'm not so sure. I have no inside information but to me he always treated KW and Ozzie with kid gloves, like they were actually his sons.

Fenway
07-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Gammons going out on that proverbial limb again in regards to the Twins. I doubt anything will happen with Ozzie, as usual. If that makes Cora manager, then why bother.

I think the last 2 nights have forced KW to do something to save HIS job..

Ozzie from all accounts is headed to Miami...let him go now

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Who's next in line for manager if Ozzie goes?

Fenway
07-09-2011, 10:29 AM

http://images.ookaboo.com/photo/s/Southpaw_s.jpg

white sox bill
07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
A step in the right direction

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm sure some people here would tell you that this guy couldn't do any worse!

EDIT: You see...someone already beat me to it. :tongue:

Zakath
07-09-2011, 10:50 AM
So, if Gammons is correct, will it be Boston or New York that sweeps the Twins in the ALDS?

cards press box
07-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Gammo on WEEI this morning says he now thinks the Twins will win the Centreal....they are poised for a good second half run and the other 3 teams ahead of them are ripe to be taken.

OK, I'll play along. If Mr. Gammons is correct, then this is what would happen next: (1) the Twins make the playoffs, (2) the Yankees ask who the heck is Ben Revere anyway, (3) the Twins proceed to lose another ALDS to New York 3-0 and (4) Gardy finds himself with a career winning percentage of .200 (6-24) in the post-season.

If Ozzie goes, I suspect that the Sox would want a baseball man who is a low key, low maintenece kind of guy -- a guy who would be less of a rambunctious older brother but more of a feet-on-the-ground kind of dad. Could anyone see the Sox hiring this guy?

http://www.yougotschooled.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bob-Brenly-e1286559012774-175x175.jpg

Soxman219
07-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Great, the Twins season will extend an extra 4 days before getting swept by the Yankees again.

Hitmen77
07-09-2011, 12:08 PM

LOL! I was going to say "Southpaw" too:redneck

Frontman
07-09-2011, 12:17 PM
As with anything, I'll believe it when I see it. The Twins are a solid club; but they need to make up a lot of ground AND stay healthy to win the division.

As far as Ozzie being fired by Monday? *yawn* Wake me if it actually happens.

And when Ozzie is gone; I would be happy with a low-key non-profile manager. Granted, that immediately rules out Tony LaRussa; so that would be a good thing!!!!

tstrike2000
07-09-2011, 12:34 PM
I actually agree with Gammons about the Twins. I didn't advertise it here, not being in the mood for the wrath that would have descended on me. As for the
Chairman being unhappy, I'm not so sure. I have no inside information but to me he always treated KW and Ozzie with kid gloves, like they were actually his sons.

I should've put my comment about Gammons in teal, since it's expected the media will pick the Twins to win our weak division. With their current lineup and bullpen, it'll be tough.

tstrike2000
07-09-2011, 12:35 PM

:praying:

Red Barchetta
07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
If Ozzie goes, I doubt JR or KW would ever go after a high profile manager like Bobby Valentine. I would expect Cora to take over until the end of the season and then a wholesale change would be made.

I would love to see the next Joe Madden come in, however I have no idea who that is. The best managers already have jobs.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 02:15 PM
The fact that the Twins have not been healthy and are still in it leads me to agree that they will win the division. They WILL get healthy soon, and then look out! This is probably the perfect time for them to be playing us too...Right before the all star break where their guys will then have several days to rest.

I'd like to know the Twins' divisional record the past several years. They have to have the best record within our division.

dickallen15
07-09-2011, 02:37 PM
The fact that the Twins have not been healthy and are still in it leads me to agree that they will win the division. They WILL get healthy soon, and then look out! This is probably the perfect time for them to be playing us too...Right before the all star break where their guys will then have several days to rest.

I'd like to know the Twins' divisional record the past several years. They have to have the best record within our division.

What are the odds of them staying healthy? The same guys get hurt all the time. Its like thinking Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah will play an entire season and the playoffs. If the Sox could play .500 against their decimated line up, the Twins would be thinking 2012.

Zakath
07-09-2011, 03:34 PM

2010 47-25
2009 46-27 (extra game playoff win over Tigers)
2008 43-30 (extra game playoff loss to White Sox)
2007 28-44
2006 41-35
2005 40-35
2004 46-30
2003 43-33
2002 50-25

A. Cavatica
07-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Out with the old clown, in with the new clown.

JB98
07-09-2011, 05:10 PM
If the Sox are going to let Minnesota go 18-0 against them, then that's a huge edge for the Twins.

GoSox2K3
07-09-2011, 09:03 PM

On the White Sox he expects Ozzie will be fired at the break...and said KW knows his neck is on the line - The Chairman is very, very unhappy.

I'll believe it when I see it.

AZChiSoxFan
07-09-2011, 09:33 PM
A step in the right direction

ROFL.....that's hilarious.

TheOldRoman
07-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I agree about the Twins winning, unfortunately. The Sox are a more talented team, but they are well on their way to rolling over for the Twins again. And we haven't even gotten to our patented August slump. The Twins will get healthy, go on a tear in the second half and look unstoppable going into the playoffs, just in time to get dump-trucked by the Yankees.

As for Ozzie getting fired tomorrow, I don't think it happens, even though it should at this point. If it did happen, it would be the unfathomable situation where Greg Walker somehow keeps his job.

Tragg
07-09-2011, 10:13 PM

In one sense that's good news and portends changes.
On the other, I remember the Chairman publicly admiring the "Pirate Model"....this would be the model of the 90s - low budget, wins in the 70s. I just hope this gross poor use of budget resources of the last couple of years doesn't cause a major philosophical change from the Chair.

gosox41
07-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Finally, someone is recoginizing that hte greatest team ever should at least make the playoffs.

Bob

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Maybe Gammons just thinks the Twins are the shiniest turd in the division.

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Maybe Gammons just thinks the Twins are the shiniest turd in the division.

LOL, not a bad thought. And you do have to look back at the recent history of this division.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Finally, someone is recoginizing that hte greatest team ever should at least make the playoffs.

Not even close to teal.
:tealtutor:

Foulke You
07-10-2011, 01:25 AM
I've been saying for a while now that the Twins won't win the division this year because their bullpen is not good enough and they simply dug themselves too big of a hole to start the year. This is not even close to the Twins bullpen from last year. They don't have those lockdown right handers like Guerrier, Crain, and Rauch as they did before. Joe Nathan is also not the guy he was before the Tommy John surgery and Matt Capps is just an "ok" closer. The Twins recent mini-resurgence has been built primarily around some great starting pitching from guys like Scott Baker and Carl Pavano pitching 8 or 9 innings frequently and saving Gardenhire from having to use his ordinary bullpen.

WSox597
07-10-2011, 07:45 AM
So, if Gammons is correct, will it be Boston or New York that sweeps the Twins in the ALDS?

Beat me to it. Even if the "best manager ever", according to Harrelson, gets the Twins to the playoffs, it'll be three and out as usual.

CLR01
07-10-2011, 09:26 AM
As for Ozzie getting fired tomorrow, I don't think it happens, even though it should at this point. If it did happen, it would be the unfathomable situation where Greg Walker somehow keeps his job.

I think Walk is ready to take the next step and be manager.

Tragg
07-10-2011, 11:17 AM
They might win it, but I doubt it. I think there will be 3 teams within 5 games, with 1 of the top 4 fading in mid-August.
I don't have a good sense of whether Cleveland's pitching can hold up.

mzh
07-10-2011, 11:52 AM
They might win it, but I doubt it. I think there will be 3 teams within 5 games, with 1 of the top 4 fading in mid-August.
I don't have a good sense of whether Cleveland's pitching can hold up.
This is true. Their rotation has a lot of talent, Carrasco and Masterson are both looking like top of the line starters, but none of them save Carmona have pitched this many innings in one season. I can see the staff fading a la 2006/7 Tigers or early 2009 Twins.

Red Barchetta
07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I think Walk is ready to take the next step and be manager.

...yeah, he's really earned a promotion.

:?:

PalehosePlanet
07-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Gammons assumes that when the twinkies get their players back they'll get on a roll. What he negates to say is that they've played a hell of a lot better with the scrubs in the lineup then they did when Young/Kubel/Morneau were healthy. In fact, Morneau, Liriano, and Young were the biggest reason the team was 20 games under .500 at one point.

The fact that they still have a chance speaks volumes to how bad this division is.

NLaloosh
07-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Wow. That was shocking to read his prediction on Ozzie.

I don't really care either way with Ozzie since I don't belive managers make a huge difference.

However, general managers make an enormous difference. A truly horse**** one can ruin a franchise - see KW, White Sox.