PDA

View Full Version : The Pittsburgh Pirates

palehozenychicty
07-09-2011, 12:19 AM
...are in first place. They beat the Cubs tonight to take a percentage lead over the Cards. It has to be the first time since 1992 they've been there this late, correct? I know the division is also very weak like the AL Central, but Clint Hurdle has done a nice job. They've gotten nothing from Alvarez and Tabata has been hurt some.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Milwaukee says hi.

palehozenychicty
07-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Ah. You got me. Milwaukee won today and has a 1 game lead. Still, the fact they're alive this late is a nice story for them.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Ah. You got me. Milwaukee won today and has a 1 game lead. Still, the fact they're alive this late is a nice story for them.
Very. That division is a 4-team race! Right now, the Pirates are dominating the Cubs almost as badly as the Twins are dominating us.

doublem23
07-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Go Pirates!

NLaloosh
07-09-2011, 01:25 AM
I love it ! Go Pirates ! Go Brew !

Soxman219
07-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Wish the Sox had the heart the Pirates are showing right now.

QueerGirrl
07-09-2011, 02:07 AM
i love it ! Go pirates ! Go brew !

+1

TommyJohn
07-09-2011, 07:24 AM
I would love to see the Pirates win the Central if for no other reason than to read Telander and Morrissey's reactions to it. That would be fun, especially Telander. His whining about his favorite team is right on the same level as a fanboy blogger.

Jurr
07-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Pittsburgh is on fire right now for the Buccos. Last night was absolutely crazy.
A kid's first MLB homer comes off of Marmol right after another rookie ties the game.

They play with such a loose demeanor, and that goes to show you what a good manager can do. Ozzie lost that somewhere along the way.

The Pirates are the Anti-Sox.

palehozenychicty
07-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Pittsburgh is on fire right now for the Buccos. Last night was absolutely crazy.
A kid's first MLB homer comes off of Marmol right after another rookie ties the game.

They play with such a loose demeanor, and that goes to show you what a good manager can do. Ozzie lost that somewhere along the way.

The Pirates are the Anti-Sox.

Hurdle has a reputation for being a calm, upbeat presence. The Rockies only great year with him was the World Series run, but they didn't have the personnel either most of those years.

To the Pirates credit, this latest regime with Connelly and Huntington has done a better job of investing in the minor leagues. I don't see their starters being strong enough to win a division, but in a year or two, they'll complement the emerging positional players.

Zakath
07-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Very. That division is a 4-team race! Right now, the Pirates are dominating the Cubs almost as badly as the Twins are dominating us.

MLB is dominating the Cubs almost as badly as the Twins are dominating us.
They should thank God for the Astros.

Probably the reason that the division is a 4-team race is because the other 2 suck so badly (Cubs 18 under, Astros 30 under). Collectively, the division is 36 games under .500, mostly because the division went 37-56 vs. the AL (only Pittsburgh and St. Louis have winning interleague records, and they both went 8-7).

MeteorsSox4367
07-09-2011, 10:04 AM
The Pirates are my favorite NL team so this makes me very happy. Got my tickets for three games at PNC Park in August.

The only thing I don't understand is how McCutchen isn't an All-Star. Oh, well. He'll make it a few times, I'm sure later in his career.

Viva Medias B's
07-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Looking at the highlights, it appears the Pirates are drawing nice crowds to PNC. The way the Cubs are playing, I know it was not a case of Cubs fans filling the place like they used to.

Fenway
07-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Looking at the highlights, it appears the Pirates are drawing nice crowds to PNC. The way the Cubs are playing, I know it was not a case of Cubs fans filling the place like they used to.

Last week they sold out 4 games in a row....

GO BUCS GO

LITTLE NELL
07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Its great for Pittsburgh, the Pirates have had 17 or 18 straight losing seasons and it would be quite a story if they made the playoffs.

HomeFish
07-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I attended a Nationals/Pirates game in DC recently, and the Pirates fans were out in force. Many were actually dressed as Pirates, and they were boisterous in support of their team with chants and songs.

Jurr
07-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Last week they sold out 4 games in a row....

GO BUCS GO

Look at you, Fenway! Catching the fever! It's nice to see Buccos games being a place to go. It was always troublesome finding people to take!

Fenway
07-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Look at you, Fenway! Catching the fever! It's nice to see Buccos games being a place to go. It was always troublesome finding people to take!

If the Pirates win the division - Flubdom will be buying Kool-Aid..that would be the final straw.

Tragg
07-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Good to see the Pirates doing well.

guillensdisciple
07-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I will root for the Pirates like crazy if they made it. Always had a soft spot for them, probably my third favorite baseball team behind the Sox and the Rockies.

TheOldRoman
07-09-2011, 08:25 PM
They just announced McCutcheon has been added to the All Star team. Good for him and this club. I am pulling for the Pirates to win the division this year.

Lamp81
07-10-2011, 01:03 AM
1st of all, let's give Hurdle his due. The man can manage a ballclub. Give him the Manager of the Year award now.

I do hope the Pirates make the post season. Their stadium is beautiful, and would look great showcased on the national stage. What a contrast to their stadium, 3 Rivers, from the last time they made the post season. The backdrop on display at PNC is stunning. I wish our architects on the Cell would have realized this and had the outfield open up to the Chicago skyline.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Pirates have a brutal start after the all star break.

3 @ astros(lol)

3 vs reds

3 vs Cards

3 @ Braves

3 @ Phillies

After that they get a break vs the Cubs and Padres, then it's back to the grind @SF @MIL, home for STL, CIN, and MIL, then back on the road @ STL.

I think by the end of the Phillies series we will know how real this team is(only 3 out of their last 10 series have been against teams with winning records, but they have been around .500 most of the season, so it's not like they gained 8 games in the standings recently). I think this pirates team is very good, but very young. I think they could be the best team in the NL come 2013, but i don't think they will hold up this year.

Jurr
07-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Well, the Buccos had a run of series against Philly (won 2 of 3), Boston (won 2 of 3), Detroit, and Arizona. They won each series. Cleveland swept them, but this team is absolutely serious about contending.

Remember also that D'arnaud, McKenry, Watson, Harrison, Alex Pressley, and other kids weren't even supposed to be playing this season. They have all contributed. It's crazy. They're all rookies!

ComiskeyBrewer
07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Well, the Buccos had a run of series against Philly (won 2 of 3), Boston (won 2 of 3), Detroit, and Arizona. They won each series. Cleveland swept them, but this team is absolutely serious about contending.
!

Not all in a row like they have coming up now tho. Sure, they beat Philly and Arizona back to back, but then played the Mets and Astros. They also had Baltimore in between the Boston and Cleveland. Obviously it's not their fault how the schedule is made, but with that schedule, you can have a few off days and not really pay for it too much, because you can bounce back vs the terrible teams, or play poorly vs the terrible teams and still have a great shot at winning. With the exception of the opening series, they won't have an easy game for over two weeks, and after the mini vacation vs the cubs/padres, there is gonna be a 3 week span of top competition.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Pirates have lost 7 of their last 10, and are now 4.5 back of Milwaukee. However, they have a very good shot at making up some ground, as STL and MIL play a 3 game series while Pitt plays the Cubs. However, the next 6 games are pretty critical IMO. If they can't make up some ground, i have a hard time believing they will still be in the race come sept. The next 27 days is brutal for this team.

palehozenychicty
08-02-2011, 08:15 AM
They played the Phils with Pence added to the lineup. I do like the additions of Ludwick and Lee, which strengthen the lineup without Huntington giving up much from the system. Alvarez is back and hit well.

I wonder if their starters will hold up.

VenturaFan23
08-02-2011, 11:31 AM
5.5 back now. Damnit.

aryzner
08-02-2011, 12:08 PM
The Pirates are probably my favorite team to play as in online games of MLB 11 The Show.

waldo_the_wolf
08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I see Derrek Lee made quite a first impression as a Buc. I'm glad that he's with Pittsburgh now so I can actually root for him. Great player and seems like a great person.

g0g0
08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Glad the Cubbies could bring them back down to Earth (and not get swept), but DL is a class act. One of my favorite Cubs players during the past decade. Reminds me a lot of Grace - led with his bat and not his mouth.

Zakath
08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Six straight losses now. Looks like it's midnight in Pittsburgh.

palehozenychicty
08-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Ironic that they started tanking as they got back one of their bigger sticks like Alvarez.

TDog
08-04-2011, 01:10 PM
It looks like this Pirates team could be one of those teams that isn't very good compared with the rest of the league but is destined to be remembered fondly by its fans because it was competitive for the first four months, like the 1977 White Sox.

Maybe the Pirates will come back, though.

MeteorsSox4367
08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm actually out here in Pittsburgh watching my second-favorite team lose two in a row (while I'm here). Not only are the Pirates losing, but it's to the horsebleep Cubs.

At least PNC Park is beautiful and the Yuengling beer is cold and tasty.

Zakath
08-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Pirates headed to their eighth straight loss and 10th in last 11 games.

The game that started this slide? The 19-inning loss in Atlanta.

Soxman219
08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Jerry Meals must feel terrible, causing the Pirates collapse.

DirtySox
08-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Regression, nice to see you finally show up.

Zakath
08-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Man, they're getting slaughtered again by the lowly Padres.

When the wheels come off...

soxinem1
08-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Ironic that they started tanking as they got back one of their bigger sticks like Alvarez.

They are falling because some of the pitchers are coming back to Earth and the over-all lineup is weak.

Alvarez is one of the main reasons they have problems scoring runs. He was sent to AAA he was hitting so bad.

I for one would LOVE to see exciting baseball return to PIT. As I was growing up they seemed to contend every year in the 70's, then the early 80's and early 90's.

palehozenychicty
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
They are falling because some of the pitchers are coming back to Earth and the over-all lineup is weak.

Alvarez is one of the main reasons they have problems scoring runs. He was sent to AAA he was hitting so bad.

I for one would LOVE to see exciting baseball return to PIT. As I was growing up they seemed to contend every year in the 70's, then the early 80's and early 90's.

The pitching is why nobody thought they would even win 70 games this year. You are correct. I hope they can finally break .500, though. It'll be a huge step in the franchise's rebirth. They're not too far away.

thomas35forever
08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I had serious questions about their lineup and maybe that's one reason they've fallen back to Earth. Too bad. I was really hoping they could stay in the NL Central race until the end, if not close to it.

Jurr
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Like a lot of you said, regression to the mean is a bear!
They were playing '05 Sox ball without electric stuff that could hold up.

Timely hitting went out the door then the pitching tanked.
In a young team, confidence means a ton. Three against St.Louis, four against Atlanta, then 3 against Philly killed them.

Now it's just plain ugly.

Zakath
08-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Ten straight as San Diego comes to town and sweeps the Bucs.

Coupled with Milwaukee going on a tear, the Pirates now find themselves 9.5 out, which could be 10 if the Brewers beat Houston today.

Doesn't get any easier for them, as they start a series in San Francisco tomorrow night, followed by 3 at Milwaukee, and then a 10-game homestand (3 vs. St. Louis, 3 vs. Cincinnati, 4 vs. Milwaukee). They then go to St. Louis before they get a break heading to Houston.

soxinem1
08-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Ten straight as San Diego comes to town and sweeps the Bucs.

Coupled with Milwaukee going on a tear, the Pirates now find themselves 9.5 out, which could be 10 if the Brewers beat Houston today.

Doesn't get any easier for them, as they start a series in San Francisco tomorrow night, followed by 3 at Milwaukee, and then a 10-game homestand (3 vs. St. Louis, 3 vs. Cincinnati, 4 vs. Milwaukee). They then go to St. Louis before they get a break heading to Houston.

http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/composition/22963331/view/1/type/png/width/178/height/178/stick-a-fork-in-me-i-m-done-t-shirts_design.png

Lip Man 1
08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Boom goes the dynamite and it looks like the Bucco's are on their way to another losing season.

Lip

Noneck
08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Boom goes the dynamite and it looks like the Bucco's are on their way to another losing season.

Lip

I think so also but it will be interesting to see if they will put some of that attendance pop into payroll or just continue to rely on the Selig subsidy.

Fenway
08-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Pittsburgh tries to figure out what happened..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/1165939-150-0.stm

kittle42
08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Pittsburgh tries to figure out what happened..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/1165939-150-0.stm

It's not hard to figure out. Kevin Correia and Jeff Karstens aren't exactly Halladay and Lee.

palehozenychicty
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
It's not hard to figure out. Kevin Correia and Jeff Karstens aren't exactly Halladay and Lee.

Ding Ding Ding!

pR1Mmxr2Cb4

VenturaFan23
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah I think their offense was doing fine and they should have gotten a few arms at the deadline instead. Their pitching is basically crashing back down to earth. Oh well, it was a good run.