PDA

View Full Version : Could baseball really bounce back from another strike?

MattSharp
07-10-2002, 10:43 PM
The only thing that truly brought baseball back was the famous HR race of 1998. If baseball went on another strike, especially with attendence and revenue down, would it ever be able to bounce back again? I mean another HR race wouldn't be as meaninful, and what other record could possibly attract as much interest as that?

Baseball is in major trouble if they have another strike. I would prolly stop going to games.....

Chisoxfn
07-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Sure its a problem and it will be effected, but I don't think it will become extinct. Plenty of people talk and speculate how many will leave the game, but I know I won't. I love the game way too much and have a blast going to baseball games. I think that right after the strike plenty of people won't be going, but if baseball becomes more competitive because there is a good labor agreement and some good games are being played the fans will come back. I know the first day baseball comes back from a strike(If there is one) I'll be sure to be at the game watching the game I love.

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 05:29 AM
interesting question.

i think the fans will always be there. alot of the older fans will have a bitter taste in their mouth, but they too will relent and come back. people have a short memory, if their local team does well, they will go and cheer them on. granted i think that some cities will suffer longer than others, esp if their team isn't doing too hot. that is my opinion.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2002, 11:30 AM
I think that only three teams will fully survive if there were to be another strike. These three teams are the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs. I think the Yankees will survive for obvious reasons. Simply because of the mystique of their ballparks, the Red Sox and Cubs will survive. All other teams will suffer.

Heather the Redbird

RKMeibalane
07-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Baseball will survive. Things will get worse, perhaps much worse, before they get better, but the game will continue to be a part of American culture. There are too many fans, myself included, who truly love and care about the game for there to be any chance of baseball dying.

I've always enjoyed watching baseball. I will continue to follow the game, even during its darkest hour. This game has given me so many wonderful memories that I can do no less than offer my support to the players, the managers, and anyone else affected by a labor dispute.

idseer
07-11-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
interesting question.

i think the fans will always be there. alot of the older fans will have a bitter taste in their mouth, but they too will relent and come back. people have a short memory, if their local team does well, they will go and cheer them on. granted i think that some cities will suffer longer than others, esp if their team isn't doing too hot. that is my opinion.

there's no way to know this of course.
for myself ... i haven't spent one dime on mlb (in any direct way anyway) since the last strike, and i imagine there are many like me. the next strike will be that much worse imo.
the buildup to this forthcoming strike is much bigger than it was before the last one and baseball has more competition than before also.
mlb has raped the public and i think the public may be more sour on it than they believe. at least i hope this is the case.
i hope baseball as we know it dies. it can be replaced by the same game where sanity reigns instead of pure greed.

Cheryl
07-11-2002, 11:42 AM
I swore I wouldn't go back after the last one, but I did. I don't know about this time--it depends on how much damage is done. Bud wants to get rid of the AL and NL as they stand now, and I don't think I'll be interested in a division that has both AL and NL teams in it.

I haven't been to a game this year since May, just because I don't want to sit through lousy games. This time it might be easier to just let it go altogether.

Moses_Scurry
07-11-2002, 11:56 AM
My anger will be considerably less if the Sox continue their craptacular play and don't make a run at the division. '94 pissed me off as much as it did almost entirely because the Sox were so good and had a chance that year. If they suck, then who cares if the rest of the season is cancelled. I'll be right back when baseball starts again, but alot will depend on how good the Sox are after the strike ends.

KruseControl04
07-11-2002, 12:27 PM
I was only eight at the time of the '94 strike, so I wasn't able to fully comprehend what was going on. All I knew was that there was no baseball on, and it was the player's and owner's fault. I based my opinions on hearing my dad grumble "Greedy players/owners" So when baseball was back ob the TV the next year I had no problem watching it or going out to ballgames. But this time around I actually understand whats going on. I don't think that I'll be too extemely mad if there is a strike. Not as long as it doesn't cancel post-season play. I don't see why the owners and players can't just agree on something that is best for the game and that doesn't just benifet themselves. But if it takes a strike to fix all the problems that baseball has, I think I can stand for it. I think baseball will survive. Baseball's attendance still hasn't fully recovered from the '94 strike, and another strike would be a huge blow. But I'll continue to go back to games as soon as play resumes. I just love baseball too much to stay away from it. I hate the people who say, "Yeah, I was a baseball fan, until the strike." If they were a true fan, they wouldn't have left the game. I think the true fans like me will stick by baseball through the thick and the thin. And besides, if MLB goes down the tubes and dissapears, there are plenty of indepentant leagues to take its place, right? But I don't think that's gonna happen, there are too many fans out there to let it happen.

idseer
07-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
I hate the people who say, "Yeah, I was a baseball fan, until the strike." If they were a true fan, they wouldn't have left the game. I think the true fans like me will stick by baseball through the thick and the thin. And besides, if MLB goes down the tubes and dissapears, there are plenty of indepentant leagues to take its place, right? But I don't think that's gonna happen, there are too many fans out there to let it happen.

if you think being a true fan means bending over and taking it in the rear by clowns who couldn't care less about the fact you're a 'true fan' then you may have it.

in that case i'm not a true fan! in fact, then i'd believe it's true fans that have a hand in this stupid situation baseball finds itself in!

Cheryl
07-11-2002, 12:43 PM
If they were a true fan, they wouldn't have left the game. I think the true fans like me will stick by baseball through the thick and the thin.

You know what, kid? That's precisely why the owners and players get to screw up the way they do. They know that 'true fans' like you will always go to the games, so they can do whatever they want, you'll always be there. Kind of like how Cubs management gets to field a team of has-beens and never-will-bes all the time and get away with it. Because their 'true fans' will always be there for them.

KruseControl04
07-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by idseer

if you think being a true fan means bending over and taking it in the rear by clowns who couldn't care less about the fact you're a 'true fan' then you may have it.

in that case i'm not a true fan! in fact, then i'd believe it's true fans that have a hand in this stupid situation baseball finds itself in!

Originally posted by Cheryl

You know what, kid? That's precisely why the owners and players get to screw up the way they do. They know that 'true fans' like you will always go to the games, so they can do whatever they want, you'll always be there. Kind of like how Cubs management gets to field a team of has-beens and never-will-bes all the time and get away with it. Because their 'true fans' will always be there for them.

Alright, I'm sorry if my definition of "true fan" isn't the same as yours. I'm just saying that no matter what happens, I'll always come back to baseball. Why? because I love it. I hate the offseason when there is no baseball, and every winter I can't wait until spring training comes around so I can listen to the Sox games on the radio, or catch the few that are one TV. I'm not saying that I like when there is a work stoppage, I hate it. But if its the only way the players and owners can get together and try and do what's best for baseball, then I won't mind. And I'll be right back there when baseball starts again becaue I love the game!

idseer
07-11-2002, 01:16 PM

Alright, I'm sorry if my definition of "true fan" isn't the same as yours. I'm just saying that no matter what happens, I'll always come back to baseball. Why? because I love it. I hate the offseason when there is no baseball, and every winter I can't wait until spring training comes around so I can listen to the Sox games on the radio, or catch the few that are one TV. I'm not saying that I like when there is a work stoppage, I hate it. But if its the only way the players and owners can get together and try and do what's best for baseball, then I won't mind. And I'll be right back there when baseball starts again becaue I love the game!

i doubt there is anyone who posts here who doesn't love the game.

Chisoxfn
07-11-2002, 01:31 PM
I'm with Kruse control on this. I get sick of people who always talk about how JR needs to spend more money or JR needs to get off his butt and do something because so many people who say this don't even support baseball and go to the games. How can you ask them to spend money if you don't want to spend money to go to the games and support your team. Ya, maybe you feel by posting on a board your supporting your team, but to me there is only one way to do it and thats watch the games on tv and to make your best effort to go to some games each year.

I don't have the ability to go see the Sox too often, but I do know when they come to Anaheim my butt is glued to a sit at Edison field for every game they are there or just about everyone. Ya, sometimes they have a crappy team, but they are my favorite team no matter what so you still go there and watch them. You still support them. Just because your team looses doesn't mean you can't follow them. You have to root for them to come back and watch the young players try to rebuild the team. Of course this is the worse part about baseball because no matter how great your young talent is, it isn't enough to beat the spend happy Skanks that go out and get everyone possible. Sure, Maybe you can win one, but even that is so hard to do when your getting outspent by millions by another team. This is why baseball needs to be fixed and they need to find some competitive balance.

Great post Kruse

voodoochile
07-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by idseer

i doubt there is anyone who posts here who doesn't love the game.

Indeed, and the question is, how much will we put up with? Can any of us really continue to devote as much time to a sport that cancels its championship once a decade? There was a huge outcry about a tied AS game, but what is a season without a champion? It's a 30 team tie...

If they cancel the playoffs again, then I would stop going to games until the Sox are in a pennant race, but even then, I wouldn't spend as much money. Still, they need to do something to fix the current economic problems. Oh how I wish they had some people who were willing to compromise for the good of the game and stop exclusively thinking about how to line their pockets with more of my money...

Chisox353014
07-11-2002, 01:43 PM

I think it is definitely possible to be a fan of the game of baseball but not a fan of MLB, or at least the current incarnation of MLB. Although I love the game of baseball, I don't love the way the game is set up right now. With the Sox being mediocre again this year, my interest in the game itself is slowly fading again. I don't enjoy watching the Skankees acquire talent at will and seeing the Skanks and D-Buck$$ again in the World Series is not my idea of a good time. The only game I watched last year was Game 7. I'd rather see them strike and actually fix some things about the game then have it continue in the state it's in now. Of course, if the Sox were poised to make a World Series run, I would probably be singing a different tune I admit. :D:

Cheryl
07-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I'm with Kruse control on this. I get sick of people who always talk about how JR needs to spend more money or JR needs to get off his butt and do something because so many people who say this don't even support baseball and go to the games. How can you ask them to spend money if you don't want to spend money to go to the games and support your team. Ya, maybe you feel by posting on a board your supporting your team, but to me there is only one way to do it and thats watch the games on tv and to make your best effort to go to some games each year.

I don't have the ability to go see the Sox too often, but I do know

How can you be a true fan if you're not living in Chicago so you can go to every game? .

KruseControl04
07-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Hey, thanks for the support chisoxfn!

Chisoxfn
07-11-2002, 02:30 PM

How can you be a true fan if you're not living in Chicago so you can go to every game? .

Simple, I support them by watching them when they come to my home town as well as I ocassionally go out to Chicago when I visit relatives that live there and watch the games. I also go to spring training every year(short drive from California) where I get to see the Sox play plenty.