PDA

View Full Version : Is this the year we finally deal Beuhrle to St. Louis?

PorkChopExpress
07-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I saw on mlbtraderumors.com that St. Louis was looking for pitching. If the Sox continue to stink it up in the Central, could we offer Beuhrle? Not sure if we are going to re-sign him after this year, and if not, then maybe we could get something for him and shed a tiny bit of salary at the end of this year. It doesn't look like St. Louis has much of a farm system, though.

Soxfest
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
I saw on mlbtraderumors.com that St. Louis was looking for pitching. If the Sox continue to stink it up in the Central, could we offer Beuhrle? Not sure if we are going to re-sign him after this year, and if not, then maybe we could get something for him and shed a tiny bit of salary at the end of this year. It doesn't look like St. Louis has much of a farm system, though.

If Sox are still under .500 by deadline I trade him IF he wants to go!

BleacherBandit
07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
If Sox are still under .500 by deadline I trade him IF he wants to go!

Could we get a good-fielding outfielder in return? To be honest, I don't want to trade Buehrle if the Sox don't get one of their glaring defensive problems solved in return. How about Jon Jay?

sullythered
07-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Could we get a good-fielding outfielder in return? To be honest, I don't want to trade Buehrle if the Sox don't get one of their glaring defensive problems solved in return. How about Jon Jay?

The offense is a MUCH more glaring problem.

hi im skot
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Who is Beuhrle?

BleacherBandit
07-08-2011, 04:01 PM
The offense is a MUCH more glaring problem.

True, but this guy does apparently hit for average.

tstrike2000
07-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Who is Beuhrle?

Ferris Beuhrle?

PorkChopExpress
07-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Who is Beuhrle?

Good catch. I spelled it wrong. Not sure anyone was going to get what I was talking about had you not pointed that out. U before E when after B, I guess.

palehosepub
07-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Buehrle has a no trade clause and if traded he has an automatic vesting option for next year for $15 million (baseball-reference.com) making him difficult to trade.

I hope we can sign him for three more years at about $11 -12 million per year, he's only 32, hes a very good pitcher that you can build a young staff around - guys like Sale, Santos and hopefully others. MB gave us 200 inning per year for 11 years assuming he does it again this year. He's a solid #2 starter and a #1 person and clubhouse guy. I think he wants to stay in Chicago if he's treated fairly. MB is one of the few current Sox I would try to keep and build around.

Tragg
07-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I'd like to keep him, too.
Much prefer dealing Jackson..maybe someone will actually give us a player for all of that great "stuff".

Noneck
07-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Buehrle has a no trade clause and if traded he has an automatic vesting option for next year for $15 million (baseball-reference.com) making him difficult to trade.

I believe that vesting option expired 7/15/10.

When the Sox decide to back up the truck, a determination will have to be made if Buehrle is in their plans for next year. They will also have to feel Buehrle out if he plans on playing next year and if so with the Sox. If both of the above are not met, then it makes absolute sense for both the Sox and Buehrle to be sent, probably to the cardinals.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 06:36 PM

I hope we can sign him for three more years at about $11 -12 million per year, he's only 32, hes a very good pitcher that you can build a young staff around - guys like Sale, Santos and hopefully others. MB gave us 200 inning per year for 11 years assuming he does it again this year. He's a solid #2 starter and a #1 person and clubhouse guy. I think he wants to stay in Chicago if he's treated fairly. MB is one of the few current Sox I would try to keep and build around.

There is some confusion on the vesting option. Almost everything I have ever read states the vesting option expired last July when Buehrle hit his 10-year mark and earned automatic no-trade protection as a 10/5 player. Earlier this year, however, Phil Rogers at the Tribune mentioned that it's still around, so that's food for thought, I guess, even though I trust Phil about... well, no, I don't trust Phil Rogers on anything.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Phil told me the individual with the White Sox organization that he asked about this issue.

Let's just say the individual should know about it...he helped write it in the deal.

According to Phil from this source, the clause is still in effect.

Take it for whatever that may be worth to you.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2011, 08:41 PM
With 10-5 rights, Buehrle can't be traded unless he specifically approves the trade.

Zisk77
07-08-2011, 10:56 PM
With 10-5 rights, Buehrle can't be traded unless he specifically approves the trade.

Yes, but is there really any doubt that Mark would accept a trade to the cardinals?

gosox41
07-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Yes, but is there really any doubt that Mark would accept a trade to the cardinals?

Not only will he probably accept it, there's a good chance he'd renegotiate his 'vesting' option on his contract to maybe spread the money over a couple of years.

Buehrle is one of the few major leaugers who has done it all. All except play for his childhood favorite team.

Bob

Tragg
07-09-2011, 01:06 PM

Likely would.
But the big question is that who do the Cards have for us?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Likely would.
But the big question is that who do the Cards have for us?

There's this Rasmus kid that I heard a lot of people are high on.

Unfortunately, it would take more than Buehrle to secure him.

Dan H
07-10-2011, 08:09 AM
It will be a sad day when Buehrle leaves the Sox, but this is the time to do it if he allows it. The White Sox need to take decisive action by realizing that this team needs an overhaul. They only have a few players who can bring them anything and Buehrle is one of them. They should be open to any offers from any team.