PDA

View Full Version : Feeling cheated? Get used to it

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Great article by Jim Caple at espn.com.

Rather than play the game to its logical conclusion -- a victory by either the National or American League -- baseball told the fans to go to hell and called the game after 11 innings with the score tied 7-7. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar02/s/2002/0710/1403880.html)

And it was also fitting that no one listened or cared what the fans think. Hey, we have planes to catch, people.

MattSharp
07-10-2002, 10:37 PM
I didn't read the whole article but that one quote sums it all up. The labor talks the outrageous salaries. Its all ME, ME, ME. Bastards...

Iwritecode
07-11-2002, 10:26 AM
I finally read the whole article and he has some pretty good ideas on how to fix this.

Expand the rosters. As I wrote last week, in 1960 when there were just 16 teams, each league had 30 players on the All-Star team. Now there are nearly twice as many teams and still only 30 players. Expand the rosters to at least 35 and you won't run out of players.

I still say that no matter how many players you have on your team it's still possible to use them all and end in a tie. The only thing this will do is allow for fewer deserving players to get snubbed. Either that or allow Joe Torre to bring his entire starting lineup...

Allow unlimited substitutions. Remember. It's just an exhibition game. Allow managers to put players back into the game if the situation demands it later in the game. That way they can put everybody in if they feel the need and still be covered if the game goes into extra innings.

This is a really good idea. Especially if someone gets injured. It can pretty much guarantee that all the position players will get a chance to play.

Don't worry about getting every player into the game. That not only was the problem Tuesday, it's been the problem for at least a decade. The managers concentrate so much on getting everybody into the game that they no longer manage to win. That not only ruins the competitive nature of the game, it leads to situations such as this year when there weren't enough pitchers to go around.

Hey, it's great if everyone can play. But this is the major leagues, not Little League. We don't need to worry about hurt feelings and low self-esteem. If a player doesn't get into the game, tough. He can buy himself a lot of snowcones with the $50,000 incentive clause in his contract.

Trust me. The world will survive if Robert Fick doesn't get into the game. If a player is truly an All-Star worth worrying about, he'll be back next year.

I'm not so sure I agree with this. If they allow unlimited subs, then they should get all the position players in at least. The pitchers they'll have to be a little more careful with. There will be some disgruntled fans somewhere if they don't get to see their team's only rep play.

Put something on the line. Whether it's who gets home-field advantage in the World Series, or whether the DH gets used, or whether you pit the U.S. against the World or old guys against young stars, put something at stake. Give the players some incentive to play other than the bonus clause in their contract.

In short, make people care about the game's outcome again.

People may not care who wins the All-Star Game anymore. But they sure as hell care that someone wins.

I could be wrong but I thought the winner of the AS game used to determine home field advantage? or was that another sport? or am I just going crazy? Anyway, I'm not real sure about the idea. The guys typically play to win anyway but the managers don't really manage to win. It would have to be some sort of incentive for the managers.

Speaking of them... why is everyone blaming this whole thing on Bud and not calling for Joe and Bob's heads? They're the ones who created this whole problem. Then they go to Bud and say "We have a problem, fix it." Then, in the space of 3 minutes, he's supposed to come up with a solution. Maybe something should have been done to plan for this type of thing but it was a little late by then wasn't it? I know Bud hasn't been the commisioner forever, why wasn't this situation planned for when the AS game was first created? It's the first time it's happened in 73 tries so I guess nobody ever thought about it. I just don't see why everyone is blaming this whole thing on Bud. He did the best he could in the time he had.

KruseControl04
07-11-2002, 12:55 PM
I agree, Caple had a lot of good ideas about how to fix the allstar game. I particularly like the unlimited substitutions idea. Or maybe expanding the rosters to 35. The big thing is: The managers shouldn't have to worry about getting every player in. I would love to see the game actually played because both sides want to win. I also agree with his ideas of putting something at stake, like who will get homefield advantage next year, or if the DH will be used. I just hope that by the time the All-Star game rolls around next year, they'll have a plan if the game goes into extra innings. I can't believe they didn't already.

Saracen
07-11-2002, 03:30 PM
I don't think I could watch if the rosters were expanded even more than they currently are. For God's sake, we're already forced to watch Robert Fick.

In normal games, managers are able to do just fine with 25 players. Expanding the All Star rosters to 35 would just put more pressure on them to get everyone into the game.

Do away with requiring a player from each team. Do away with starting pitchers only going 2 innings. Play the game to win.

The great thing about the old All-Star games is that players like Ted Williams & DiMaggio were around to hit dramatic 9th inning homers. That could never happen today: they'd never be in the game in the 9th inning, they'd be on a plane to Las Vegas like Bonds was the other day in the 7th inning.

Manage the game like every other game is managed - play to win.

steff
07-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
That could never happen today: they'd never be in the game in the 9th inning, they'd be on a plane to Las Vegas like Bonds was the other day in the 7th inning.

Manage the game like every other game is managed - play to win.

Bonds was still there at the end of the game Tuesday night. He was upstairs with Reggie Jackson, but he was still there.

Saracen
07-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Today's Dallas Morning News reported Bonds was on an airplane by the 7th inning.

steff
07-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Today's Dallas Morning News reported Bonds was on an airplane by the 7th inning.

We walked right past him and his son. Reggie was signing an autograph for him (his son), or I would have gone over and interrupted :D:

Saracen
07-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Well, that's just bad reporting then. Happy to hear it. Still think he's a prima donna, but at least he stuck around!

steff
07-12-2002, 07:59 AM
Well, that's just bad reporting then. Happy to hear it. Still think he's a prima donna, but at least he stuck around!

I thought that for a long time, too. Then we went to NY to see some games. We stayed at the same hotel and he came into the bar the first night we were there. We all just said "hi" (and he did not stay, Ice Tea to go). Then the next night he came in again and he said hi to us. I was pretty amazed that he remembered and bothered to take the time to say hi. I don't think he's at all as bad as he's made out to be. And after the interview on "The best damn sports show" Wednesday night, I think I even like him a little bit more.