PDA

View Full Version : Selig on financial woes


Viva Magglio
07-10-2002, 10:17 PM
From CBS SportsLine:
Selig claims team might not make payroll Monday (http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,5508968_52,00.html)

From the Houston Chronicle:
Selig: Some teams at break point (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/1490288)

Daver
07-10-2002, 10:34 PM
The last thing the owners will allow is a team to go bankrupt.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by daver
The last thing the owners will allow is a team to go bankrupt.

Wouldn't that help their case that there has to be financial changes?

Daver
07-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Wouldn't that help their case that there has to be financial changes?

Their is no way that the owners can afford to let the courts get a look at the actual books of an MLB team,among other things it would put Bud Selig in jail for federal perjury.

kevingrt
07-10-2002, 10:51 PM
From ESPN.com

Selig told several newspapers Wednesday that one team might not be able to make payroll Monday, and another team was in so much debt it might not be able to finish the season.

A team going out Monday, midseason contraction, WOW

MattSharp
07-10-2002, 11:35 PM
What would this do to everything? I mean what about games that were supposed to be played against them, are they automatic wins? How would that work?

I think the Diamonbacks may be the "surprise" team.

Daver
07-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
What would this do to everything? I mean what about games that were supposed to be played against them, are they automatic wins? How would that work?

I think the Diamonbacks may be the "surprise" team.

Seeing that the Devil Rays and the Diamondbacks do not share in the TV revenue the rest of the league does,it is a safe bet.

MattSharp
07-10-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by daver


Seeing that the Devil Rays and the Diamondbacks do not share in the TV revenue the rest of the league does,it is a safe bet.

Why is that?

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Why is that?

They have to wait 5 years before being able to get tv money. At least I think it's 5.

MattSharp
07-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


They have to wait 5 years before being able to get tv money. At least I think it's 5.

Wow they really get screwed. The D-Rays must be in craploads of trouble. Losing two teams in mid-year would ruin the season IMO.

RedPinStripes
07-10-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


They have to wait 5 years before being able to get tv money. At least I think it's 5.

That makes a lot of sense. They give them all the hifg draft picks and an expansion draft, then they can't make the money the rest of the league gets. :?:

doublem23
07-11-2002, 12:59 AM
It's got to be those whacky Seattle Pilots.

danman31
07-11-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Wow they really get screwed. The D-Rays must be in craploads of trouble. Losing two teams in mid-year would ruin the season IMO. Not to mock what you said, but it's pretty obvious that it would ruin the season. I really hope contraction happens(not in the middle of a season though), it would be a very cool process. Honestly I don't give a damn about the teams that get contracted anyway. MLB never should have expanded anyway.