PDA

View Full Version : Season Ticket Holders--How Do You Do It?

Procol Harum
07-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Every Sox home game I see this one same dude sitting in about the 4th row behind the visitor's dugout--he's in a lot of the shots of left-handed batters. He's probably in his early 50s, greyish hair. What I've noticed about this fellow is his rather stoic, resigned expression throughout nearly every game, including last night's.

Last night it hit me--how does this guy manage to keep himself showing up for this craptacular night in and night out? Especially when the Sox are playing the Twins? So, for you season ticket holders--particularly those of you with full-season plans, how the heck do you cope? Besides the expense involved (tickets, parking, food, the mandatory churros), how the heck do you do it??

As a guy who attends anywhere between 5-10 games a year it's a tough reality to envision under these conditions. Of course, I guess I can sympathize to some degree--hey, I watch this donkey-doo every night in my own house and wonder why I'm passing up a perectly good "House Hunters" or "Finding Bigfoot" in favor of watching Dunn and Rios producing an automatic 8 outs a night. I imagine a lot of you are burning up StubHub. So, please: your keys to sanity?

KenBerryGrab
07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
My sister's a season-ticket holder, and her family can't give the seats away some nights. Her comment: "Never again."

Harry Potter
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
For me its simple: I'm a die-hard Sox fan and good seasons or bad, I love going to games.

A group of us (usually 4-5 guys in total) have split a full-season since 2006. A few of us always talked about getting season tickets and we got in when the Sox ran the World Series ticket promotion in 2005. While this may have a been a year or two earlier then I had anticipated getting season tickets, it was too good an offer to pass up.

Having season tickets, I've been able to see some amazing games the past few years (the Blackout game, Buehrle's no-hitter, Thome's 500th, AJ's walk-off vs. the Dodgers, etc.) although I realize those games have often came through blind luck based on which games I "drafted" this season.

But you're right, it has also been maddening at times. The 2007 campaign, parts of 2010 and a good part of this year. But I still find myself making the trip out there - to meet up friends, see the regulars in my "home" of Section 158 the past 6 seasons, etc.

mrfourni
07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
This is my first year since 2005 that I haven't had a seasont ticket plan. The amount of deals out there for really good tickets for most games makes paying face value for tickets foolish in my opinion. For the money I'm saving on the secondary market with tickets, I figure I will be able to overspend for playoff tickets down the road.

If the Sox were to become like the 2000-2010 Cubs, or the current Red Sox and sell out every game, I would consider buying a ticket plan again.

salty99
07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
My sister's a season-ticket holder, and her family can't give the seats away some nights. Her comment: "Never again."

I would gladly take free tickets!

kittle42
07-08-2011, 11:46 AM

I won't say never, but I'm done after this season. It is simply not cost effective at all to buy any tickets for any game way ahead of time unless it's a *guaranteed* sellout game or you have a huge group going.

Oh, and the team sucks.

Nelfox02
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM

I wonder how many other people are saying this........

Jpgr91
07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Fantasy Baseball rooting interests keep things interesting.

Jpgr91
07-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I wonder how many other people are saying this........

I am one. I have had tickets since 2003 and I will not be renewing, I can not envision a situation where I will purchase them again.

Law11
07-08-2011, 01:03 PM
These are very interesting comments. Ive often wondered the same thing as the original post.

Iron Dragon2
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey, I like cheap tickets. Those who can't give them away aren't trying hard enough. :smile:

dllrbll7
07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
From a financial aspect, if people are willing to buy my tickets I sell them. There are very few games I save for myself. I can always get other tickets if I need them. If I dont sell them then I go to the game. I sell alot on stubhub, without it, I dont know if I would be able to keep them.

I always get something for them though, even if I am getting single digits for my premium lower deck box seats....

Chez
07-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 and attend between 15-25 games a year. No matter how bad or disappointing the team is, I still love going with family and/or friends. Even when played, managed or coached poorly, baseball is still a great game.

I'm as frustrated as most are on this board; but it's baseball, not chemotherapy! Maybe that should be the Sox new marketing slogan: "White Sox baseball 2011, it still beats chemotherapy." Someone e-mail Brooks. :D:

Iron Dragon2
07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 and attend between 15-20 games a year. No matter how bad or disappointing the team is, I still love going with family and/or friends. Even when played, managed or coached poorly, baseball is still a great game.

I'm as frustrated as most are on this board; but it's baseball, not chemotherapy! Maybe that should be the Sox new marketing slogan: "White Sox baseball 2011, it still beats chemotherapy." Someone e-mail Brooks. :D:

As someone who not only has first-hand knowledge of chemo and baseball (once at the same time even!), I agree. I'll always choose baseball.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 and attend between 15-25 games a year. No matter how bad or disappointing the team is, I still love going with family and/or friends. Even when played, managed or coached poorly, baseball is still a great game.

:rolling:

That's good perspective.

From a financial standpoint, I agree in this computer day of age, maybe it doesn't make the most sense to buy a season ticket plan since you can cruise StubHub or Craigslist and find way under market value deals. But, evreyone I know who has season tickets always says it's nice to just have them and make yourself go. There have been at least 2-3 games this year I've already backed out of going to a game at the last moment because I got too lazy to look for, pay for, etc. tickets. Buy them in advance and you just have to make it work. And really, once I get to the park, all the problems melt away. I was at the game Monday, and it was a lot of fun, even if the Sox were playing like ass for most of the game.

DumpJerry
07-08-2011, 04:16 PM
So far this year, I've had to take a bath on only one ticket-I sold a $34.00 ticket for $5.00. Otherwise, all but two other tickets (which were sold for within $10 of face and one person bought me $10 of food at the game) have been sold at or above face.

JC456
07-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Yep, never again!

keloms
07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
So far this year, I've had to take a bath on only one ticket-I sold a $34.00 ticket for $5.00. Otherwise, all but two other tickets (which were sold for within $10 of face and one person bought me $10 of food at the game) have been sold at or above face.

I haven't been as lucky, but, that's somewhat similar to my experience. Between games that we couldn't attend / haven't been able to sell, I'm only down 5% which isn't too bad considering the hellacious start and I still plan on selling a game or two from the Red Sox / Yankees series so that gap should close a bit and prepare for what could be a bowling shoe ugly September.

As far as renewing, it's a back and forth thing every year. At the end of the season, I was done and had no intent on re-upping, but, then came the re-signings and bringing Dunn on board and I decided to give it another shot. If I had to make the decision right now, I'd probably say that's it, but, there's still a lot of time to go.

Procol Harum
07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
And really, once I get to the park, all the problems melt away. I was at the game Monday, and it was a lot of fun, even if the Sox were playing like ass for most of the game.

:lol:

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2011, 07:11 PM
:rolling:

That's good perspective.

From a financial standpoint, I agree in this computer day of age, maybe it doesn't make the most sense to buy a season ticket plan since you can cruise StubHub or Craigslist and find way under market value deals. But, evreyone I know who has season tickets always says it's nice to just have them and make yourself go. There have been at least 2-3 games this year I've already backed out of going to a game at the last moment because I got too lazy to look for, pay for, etc. tickets. Buy them in advance and you just have to make it work. And really, once I get to the park, all the problems melt away. I was at the game Monday, and it was a lot of fun, even if the Sox were playing like ass for most of the game.
Does that have anything to do with a certain nacho helmet?

whtsox13
07-09-2011, 07:43 PM
I have been a season ticketholder since 1985 and have seen far worse teams than this. I go to every game and it does get frustrating. But I can't imagine not going.

BainesHOF
07-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Every Sox home game I see this one same dude sitting in about the 4th row behind the visitor's dugout--he's in a lot of the shots of left-handed batters. He's probably in his early 50s, greyish hair. What I've noticed about this fellow is his rather stoic, resigned expression throughout nearly every game, including last night's.

Last night it hit me--how does this guy manage to keep himself showing up for this craptacular night in and night out?

I know the guy a little after running into him at a few concerts. I admire his dedication, too. He schedules work appointments that are on the way to the park on game days.

Brian26
07-09-2011, 08:51 PM
I know the guy a little after running into him at a few concerts. I admire his dedication, too. He schedules work appointments that are on the way to the park on game days.

This is the "Richard Gere" guy, correct?

AZChiSoxFan
07-09-2011, 09:41 PM

That's classic!

soxfanreggie
07-09-2011, 09:51 PM
If I lived closer to Chicago, it would be much easier to attend games. A four-hour round trip makes it tough with gas on top of parking. Even if the tickets are free, that's a big financial outlay for each game.

I like to go to a couple games each year, and I do. However, I don't think I could justify season tickets without a couple promotions at work and maybe retirement. :D:

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 09:58 PM
If I lived closer to Chicago, it would be much easier to attend games. A four-hour round trip makes it tough with gas on top of parking. Even if the tickets are free, that's a big financial outlay for each game.

I like to go to a couple games each year, and I do. However, I don't think I could justify season tickets without a couple promotions at work and maybe retirement. :D:
Pffffff, you can take Amtrak from Bloomington/Normal and back! It's not like you're in Florida anymore. :tongue:

soxfanreggie
07-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Pffffff, you can take Amtrak from Bloomington/Normal and back! It's not like you're in Florida anymore. :tongue:

Yeah, but getting the time off to come to the games is also another part. You're right, that would be nice to avoid gas and parking, but a train pass would probably be expensive too.

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but getting the time off to come to the games is also another part. You're right, that would be nice to avoid gas and parking, but a train pass would probably be expensive too.
OR you could get a human transporter from Steve Urkel? You know, he does live here (and I know the exact house). :tongue:

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2011, 10:45 PM
It is very interesting to read the reactions of people on here. I couldn't give away Red Sox tickets in 09. It was really cool having the weekend package in 08-09, but, like most have posted here, it is so much cheaper to get BETTER seats through other outlets, than paying premium for all those crappy April-early June games.

If I were to do it again (and I probably will down the road), I would get the partial week night games instead of weekend package. To answer the original poster seeing that guy sitting there night after night: I don't know how those people do it. I can't even watch it on tv anymore, unless I check out the score on my phone first to see if it's worth turning on the tv.

soxfanreggie
07-10-2011, 11:02 PM
OR you could get a human transporter from Steve Urkel? You know, he does live here (and I know the exact house). :tongue:

I wonder if more people stop by the Family Matter's houses or the Full House place in San Fran.

As far as season tickets, we had this very discussion on the way back from StL. I went with 6 Cards fans and a Cubs fan. With the price of tickets and the cost of transportation and other costs, it would be very difficult for someone to make season tickets work without splitting a package.

There are some people at work that have them, but if they don't split them, they're selling off most of the games. If the Sox consistently made the playoffs, I could see it as an investment where selling half the playoff games could pay for a nice portion of the tickets. However, that isn't something we can bank on 50% or more of the time.

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2011, 11:25 PM
I had season tickets from 2005-2009 (You can thank me for the reason they won the World Series...I moved to the neighborhood during the offseason before and ordered my first season tickets for that season). I enjoyed the camaraderie of sitting with the same people for my entire plan (I had the 27-game weekday plan). Going to the ballpark is also so convenient. But, I took on a job that paid less, so I had to cut my costs some way. I'm still doing fine financially (with this current job, I don't have union dues deducted from my paycheck, am taxed less, and my health care is less expensive), but the extra financial flexibility that not spending the over $1,000 my package cost has been worth it.

soxfanreggie
07-11-2011, 12:30 AM
I had season tickets from 2005-2009 (You can thank me for the reason they won the World Series...I moved to the neighborhood during the offseason before and ordered my first season tickets for that season). I enjoyed the camaraderie of sitting with the same people for my entire plan (I had the 27-game weekday plan). Going to the ballpark is also so convenient. But, I took on a job that paid less, so I had to cut my costs some way. I'm still doing fine financially (with this current job, I don't have union dues deducted from my paycheck, am taxed less, and my health care is less expensive), but the extra financial flexibility that not spending the over $1,000 my package cost has been worth it.

I guess getting married could dramatically increase the discretionary spending in my life...aka more sports tickets. :smile:

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I guess getting married could dramatically increase the discretionary spending in my life...aka more sports tickets. :smile:
Same here, Tim! I'll have my entire ISU student loans paid off in about a year and a half too!

soxgirl617
07-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I've been a season ticketholder since 1991, in various combinations of groups. I've never owned less than a 1/3 of a season, and have owned half a season in my current seats since 2005. For me, the things I've been able to see as a result of being a season ticketholder are well worth the cost and aggravation we sometimes feel. I've seen the playoffs in 1993, 2000, and 2008, and of course the unbelievable run and championship in 2005. I attended all "sessions" of the 2003 All-Star Game, and saw the Blackout Game in 2008. I've seen "near" no-hitters, several one-hitters, one no-hitter, and The Perfect Game (I like to capitalize that!). And then there are all the exciting regular season games I've seen. Sure, it's possible I could have done all of that without being a season ticketholder, but it's not likely (and it would have been a lot more work).

Maybe more importantly, I just love going to baseball games, especially at The Cell. As an earlier poster noted, it's as if the stresses of life disappear while I'm at the park. Baseball is a wonderful game, and is best seen in person.

There have been years I've had some tickets go unused, but that doesn't happen often. We sell somewhere between 10 and 18 games (depending on the year) of our half-season. We now have "regulars" who buy a few games from us every year (at face value), and we offer those games for sale very early in the season. That seems to help.

Bottom line is that I see myself being a season ticketholder indefinitely. It's important to me. That doesn't mean I don't hate seasons when the Sox are just bad, but I still love baseball.

soxlady8
07-11-2011, 11:52 PM
I've been a season ticketholder since 1991, in various combinations of groups. I've never owned less than a 1/3 of a season, and have owned half a season in my current seats since 2005. For me, the things I've been able to see as a result of being a season ticketholder are well worth the cost and aggravation we sometimes feel. I've seen the playoffs in 1993, 2000, and 2008, and of course the unbelievable run and championship in 2005. I attended all "sessions" of the 2003 All-Star Game, and saw the Blackout Game in 2008. I've seen "near" no-hitters, several one-hitters, one no-hitter, and The Perfect Game (I like to capitalize that!). And then there are all the exciting regular season games I've seen. Sure, it's possible I could have done all of that without being a season ticketholder, but it's not likely (and it would have been a lot more work).

Maybe more importantly, I just love going to baseball games, especially at The Cell. As an earlier poster noted, it's as if the stresses of life disappear while I'm at the park. Baseball is a wonderful game, and is best seen in person.

There have been years I've had some tickets go unused, but that doesn't happen often. We sell somewhere between 10 and 18 games (depending on the year) of our half-season. We now have "regulars" who buy a few games from us every year (at face value), and we offer those games for sale very early in the season. That seems to help.

Bottom line is that I see myself being a season ticketholder indefinitely. It's important to me. That doesn't mean I don't hate seasons when the Sox are just bad, but I still love baseball.

Awesome post -- especially the 2nd paragraph -- I feel that way !!

Bucky F. Dent
07-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Last night it hit me--how does this guy manage to keep himself showing up for this craptacular night in and night out? Especially when the Sox are playing the Twins?

Heavy duty pharmaceuticals!