PDA

View Full Version : Rangers fan falls to his death

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.themediahaven.com/2011/07/rangers-fan-falls-to-his-death.html

Hamilton was throwing a ball to him in the outfield stands, and the guy lost his balance and fell into the gap between the seating area and the wall, hitting a metal beam in the process. He was pronounced dead later on. Gotta feel bad for his little kid who was right next to him!

Another fan fell at the same ballpark last July, that time from the upper deck. Strange.

Shoeless_Jeff
07-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Man, you go to a ballgame to relax and have a good time, obviously you hope to never see something like this happen. His kid right there? Heartbreaking.

This is the Oakland feed where they were poking fun at the guy obviously before they knew just how bad his injury was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0nA-X-5MKA

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Horrible. I can't imagine how that kid must feel. Or Hamilton for that matter. My thoughts are with the family.

stl_sox_fan
07-08-2011, 08:31 AM
That was nuts. Our local affiliate teased the clip going to commercial, but showed the fall. Then when they came back they did the "please be aware that the footage is graphic"...even though you just watched it a few minutes ago. :?:
When I had heard about this I thought it was a fall from the upper deck, not from the outfield fence. Thoughts and prayers go to the family and to Josh.

g0g0
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
This just tears at me as I just had my son at a Cubs game last month. For him to witness what would ultimately be his dad's demise is heartbreaking. Especially as he was probably getting the ball for him. I can't imagine...

RIP and I hope the son gets the counseling he'll no doubt need. :(:

Frankfan4life
07-08-2011, 10:03 AM
How horrible! My heart goes out to this man's son and family. May God bless them.

spongyfungy
07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
he was a firefighter? I think a firefighter last year almost to the day, tried to catch a foul ball in arlington.

Truly heartbreaking for the kid. I can't imagine what Josh Hamilton is going through now. Though he's a man of faith we all know of his bouts with depression and drinking.

Law11
07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
The video is tough to watch and when you hear how he asked to make sure his son was ok even after what happened. That poor little guy has this now with him the rest of his life. I can only hope hes a little too young to remember it later but with the video out there... Ughh the family seeing it all.. Just horrible.

Weve all been there. Wanted to get that ball and Im sure I would have done the same thing. You dont think youll fall. His momentum swung over that rail and his weight shifted once that happened that was it..

I felt sick watching his son looking down at him.

Law11
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
he was a firefighter? I think a firefighter last year almost to the day, tried to catch a foul ball in arlington.

Truly heartbreaking for the kid. I can't imagine what Josh Hamilton is going through now. Though he's a man of faith we all know of his bouts with depression and drinking.

yep link attached. Watch the home plate reaction as they see it happen last year.
he survived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94R16LqJWg&feature=share

Soxfest
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
RIP............... Why did Texas not have something like wire mesh so nobody falls in the gap in the outfield?

g0g0
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
RIP............... Why did Texas not have something like wire mesh so nobody falls in the gap in the outfield?

+1 Seems like an easy solution.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 02:08 PM

The ballpark's railings are completely within safety limits as mandated by the International Building Code. If you look, a lot of parks (such as U.S. Cellular Field) have similar gaps between the 1st row of seats and the OF wall, I'd be willing to bet, to discourage people from jumping on the field.

This accident is jarring because he was just doing what anyone would do... Reaching for a ball. It's not like he was acting irresponsible or was ****faced out of his mind. Still, it seems that the moral of the story is its each individual's reponsibility to make sure they don't fall over the railing for a baseball.

MUsoxfan
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
+1 Seems like an easy solution.

It's very expensive and unreasonable to baby-proof every little thing

doublem23
07-08-2011, 02:25 PM
It's very expensive and unreasonable to baby-proof every little thing

Not a great way to get people to see your point of view

Frankfan4life
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Don't be surprised if the tossing of baseballs into the upper decks will be severely criticized if not outright banned after these incidents.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Don't be surprised if the tossing of baseballs into the upper decks will be severely criticized if not outright banned after these incidents.

This didn't happen in the upper deck, the guy was in the 1st row of seats in the OF. I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to throw a baseball into the upper deck.

Frankfan4life
07-08-2011, 03:10 PM
This didn't happen in the upper deck, the guy was in the 1st row of seats in the OF. I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to throw a baseball into the upper deck.Sorry, the video appeared to me that he was much higher up. Still, there might be a lot of scrutiny about tossing baseballs to fans in areas where the potential for falling out of the stands is present.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry, the video appeared to me that he was much higher up. Still, there might be a lot of scrutiny about tossing baseballs to fans in areas where the potential for falling out of the stands is present.

Maybe, but I hope not. 99.99+% of balls thrown into the stands doesn't result in someone's death.

Frankfan4life
07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe, but I hope not. 99.99+% of balls thrown into the stands doesn't result in someone's death.True, but I think having two such incidents will probably warrant an overreaction in the name of safety.

Soxfest
07-08-2011, 03:22 PM
It's very expensive and unreasonable to baby-proof every little thing The cost of a life is way more than whatever the cost to fix it.

guillensdisciple
07-08-2011, 03:34 PM
I've seen a lot of messed up ****, and this is not as disgusting or damning as that stuff, but this is messed up on another level. Son was right there. Wow, just wow.

PatK
07-08-2011, 04:01 PM

I think like someone mentioned, because it may allow someone to climb it onto the field.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 04:05 PM
The cost of a life is way more than whatever the cost to fix it.

I don't think you need to wrap the stadium in bubble wrap just because one guy died in a freak accident.

Frankfan4life
07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
The incident is going to be reviewed.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/NewsCore-Texas-Rangers-fan-death-to-be-reviewed-by-MLB-070811/?GT1=39002

I'm all for making sure that fans have a safe experience at the ballpark but this might mean the end of tossing baseballs, tee shirts, etc. into the stands.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm all for making sure that fans have a safe experience at the ballpark but this might mean the end of tossing baseballs, tee shirts, etc. into the stands.

Yes, you've already gone over that, but the article you linked doesn't mention that at all. Do you have any proof or are you just repeating an unsubstantiated gut feeling over and over again?

Soxfest
07-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't think you need to wrap the stadium in bubble wrap just because one guy died in a freak accident.
Not just 1 but 2 fans dead in a year's time, is not one freak accident.

MUsoxfan
07-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Okay, so 2 out of tens of millions of baseball fans have died at a game in a year. Put up nets protecting the crowd from every direction, provide everyone with hardhats and pad all the concrete in case someone trips and falls. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal responsibility.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 04:49 PM

You're right, two freak accidents. LET'S ALL GO ****ING CRAZY. It should also be noted that the other person who fell at a Rangers game last year did not die. And the other person who died at a ballpark earlier this year was trying to slide down a bannister before falling. You can make as many regulations, safety improvements, etc. as you want, nothing protects against stupid behavior.

So we're back to one person actually dying from a freak accident through really no fault of his own.

Have you, by chance, ever driven a car? Used an escalator? Eaten a hot dog? Held a pencil in your hand? All of these are statistically much more dangerous than going to a baseball stadium.

manders_01
07-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Back to the thread at hand...

Seriously one of the saddest things I've ever seen. May he rest in peace and may his son, family and Josh Hamilton somehow find peace as well. This has to be so hard for them.

Frankfan4life
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes, you've already gone over that, but the article you linked doesn't mention that at all. Do you have any proof or are you just repeating an unsubstantiated gut feeling over and over again?Not sure why you're all over me about this. Did I violate some rule or something? I don't believe I intentionally repeated anything over and over again. I gave my opinion, then I responded to your emails (that's called having a dialogue). I also linked an article which states that the incident was going to be reviewed (which I believed helped substantiate my gut feeling).

doublem23
07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Not sure why you're all over me about this. Did I violate some rule or something? I don't believe I intentionally repeated anything over and over again. I gave my opinion, then I responded to your emails (that's called having a dialogue). I also linked an article which states that the incident was going to be reviewed (which I believed helped substantiate my gut feeling).

No one is "all over you," you just haven't produced any proof that your opinion is anything other than just that. On my end of the dialogue, I assume rational people will prevail and will realize this was just a terrible accident that, you know, sometimes happen.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the White Sox have a little ledge in front of the bar in the outfield? I don't recall being able to look straight down into that tunnel area from the first row of seats. But, then again, I haven't been in the outfield seating area since last August.

Frankfan4life
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
No one is "all over you," you just haven't produced any proof that your opinion is anything other than just that. On my end of the dialogue, I assume rational people will prevail and will realize this was just a terrible accident that, you know, sometimes happen.It's difficult to prove an opinion. It's basically me wondering out loud and adding some food for thought.

The one thing we both agree on is that this was a terrible tragedy. I hope it never happens again.

Hendu
07-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Heartbreaking. It's just a sad reminder of how fragile our existence is. One moment a happy father & son at a baseball game and the next moment a little boy has to grow up without a dad.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 11:35 PM
So tonight, Josh Hamilton lined a foul ball off a fan's head, requiring stitches.

Rough 24 hours down there right now.

Brian26
07-08-2011, 11:44 PM
I've seen a lot of messed up ****, and this is not as disgusting or damning as that stuff, but this is messed up on another level. Son was right there. Wow, just wow.

Yep. I saw the clip once and can't stomach to ever see it again. Can't imagine that little boy standing up there all alone looking down at his dad.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Yep. I saw the clip once and can't stomach to ever see it again. Can't imagine that little boy standing up there all alone looking down at his dad.

Or being in the ambulance when he flatlined.

white sox bill
07-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Kinda like yrs ago when a hockey fan died in Columbus at the Blue Jackets game because a puck hit him or her, and IIRC were sitting on upper deck and this prompted the Jackets to net that area.

There are certain inherent risks on just about everything in life. We can't be forced to live in a bubble. Very sad and very tragic

g0g0
07-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Okay, so 2 out of tens of millions of baseball fans have died at a game in a year. Put up nets protecting the crowd from every direction, provide everyone with hardhats and pad all the concrete in case someone trips and falls. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal responsibility.

Who said put up nets everywhere? No one is saying baby proof every aspect of the stadium. But that gap in the section would easily be fixed with some safety netting.

Fenway
07-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Texas Rangers All-Star Josh Hamilton, devastated by fan's death, heard little boy scream for his dad (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2011/07/09/2011-07-09_texas_rangers_allstar_josh_hamilton_devastated_ by_fans_death_heard_little_boy_sc.html)

Woofer
07-09-2011, 11:32 AM
This is very disturbing. Like others have said, life is fragile. We can't have a knee jerk reaction to this however. What if he was reaching over to catch a homerun? The same thing could have happened. I think that the only solution would be to have higher railings, but I'm pretty sure that would impede the view from your seat.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
This is very disturbing. Like others have said, life is fragile. We can't have a knee jerk reaction to this however. What if he was reaching over to catch a homerun? The same thing could have happened. I think that the only solution would be to have higher railings, but I'm pretty sure that would impede the view from your seat.
I think the best thing would be to just plug the gap and have a solid ledge beyond the railing going all the way to the outfield wall.