PDA

View Full Version : Your Picks for Manager & Hitting Coach

Falstaff
07-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Well, since we will (sooner or later) see some turnover, please throw up some names and ideas as to who you would like to see replace Ozzie, Kenny, and Walker. It's going to happen some day, why not start working on the "short list", give Jerry something to think about. Especially wondering if you see any former White Sox players as suited to take the reins.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Well, since we will (sooner or later) see some turnover, please throw up some names and ideas as to who you would like to see replace Ozzie, Kenny, and Walker. It's going to happen some day, why not start working on the "short list", give Jerry something to think about. Especially wondering if you see any former White Sox players as suited to take the reins.

Manager: Bobby Valentine, Edwin Rodriguez...I'll have to look at a fuller list.
GM: Hahn
Hitting Coach: ANYONE

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2011, 12:00 AM
The Big Hurt was the best hitter in Sox history (and one of the most feared in baseball history). I'd like for him to at least be given a chance as our hitting coach. And, it's something that JR would probably at least consider, since he's all about loyalty.

SoxSpeed22
07-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Manager: Dino Ebel (Angels bench coach)
GM: Mike Chernoff (Indians director of Baseball Operations)
Hitting: Mike Boulanger (Round Rock hitting coach)
All outside hires since we could use different voices.

JB98
07-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Manager: Dino Ebel (Angels bench coach)
GM: Mike Chernoff (Indians director of Baseball Operations)
Hitting: Mike Boulanger (Round Rock hitting coach)
All outside hires since we could use different voices.

I wouldn't mind them promoting Hahn from within to GM, but in the dugout, I agree that some different voices would help.

Tragg
07-08-2011, 12:05 AM
I want a GM first

A. Cavatica
07-08-2011, 12:19 AM
GM: Ken Williams, Jr.
Manager: Oney Guillen
Hitting coach: Does Greg Walker have a daughter?

Daver
07-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Manager: Frater

Hitting coach: captain54

GM: JD05

Noneck
07-08-2011, 12:24 AM
GM: Ken Williams, Jr.
Manager: Oney Guillen

You switch those two and that would be amusing.

DumpJerry
07-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Since September, 1986, the Twins have had two managers. Kelly and Gardenhire. IIRC, their GM took over about two years ago from someone who had the job for a very long time. Why do you think change will happen? The Twins have had some total crap seasons since 1986.

I would add Khan as the Bench Coach since we need someone with brains there.

Falstaff
07-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Since September, 1986, the Twins have had two managers. Kelly and Gardenhire. IIRC, their GM took over about two years ago from someone who had the job for a very long time. Why do you think change will happen? The Twins have had some total crap seasons since 1986.

Why do I think change will happen? Well, to use your yardstick (above): The White Sox are demonstrably NOT the Twins. If its White Sox goal to emulate that organization's strong points, I think it would be folly to just plug in Ozzie and Kenny for the next 20 years for the sake of being more Twin-like. Also, we fans see the underperforming trends of this year and the last few years ad nauseum. If nothing changes, nothing changes, except attendance plummets. That's why.
Yes, I'd like to see Frank in some coaching/instructional role. He was a successful student of hitting (and not a bad baserunner either!) and likely has something useful to teach.

JermaineDye05
07-08-2011, 01:36 AM

You get to be Rongey.

thomas35forever
07-08-2011, 02:22 AM
You get to be Rongey.
Can I be Jeff Cox?

Mohoney
07-08-2011, 03:19 AM
You get to be Rongey.

Well done.

forrestg
07-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Ryne Sandberg as manager just to put a thorn in the northsider's fans. batting coach Carl Everett I liked when he changed his stance when he had 2 strikes on him. He had a lo of fire in him.. Stoney for GM , he just knows baseball and baseball talent. I think he could build a better team.

JermaineDye05
07-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Ryne Sandberg as manager just to put a thorn in the northsider's fans. batting coach Carl Everett I liked when he changed his stance when he had 2 strikes on him. He had a lo of fire in him.. Stoney for GM , he just knows baseball and baseball talent. I think he could build a better team.

I wouldn't mind putting Stone in a front office position. He's a very knowledgeable baseball man.

kobo
07-08-2011, 04:42 AM
I wouldn't mind them promoting Hahn from within to GM, but in the dugout, I agree that some different voices would help.
Agree. I don't want to see any more ex-players as coaches or manager for a while.

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't want anyone from this losing organization, screw loyalty. JR needs to hire people with a fresh outside look at this team.
The only guy close to the team I would consider as GM is Stone.

russ99
07-08-2011, 08:53 AM
The Big Hurt was the best hitter in Sox history (and one of the most feared in baseball history). I'd like for him to at least be given a chance as our hitting coach. And, it's something that JR would probably at least consider, since he's all about loyalty.

Frank is perfect for the hitting coach job, but would he give up his post-baseball lifestyle in Vegas to coach full-time? Especially to work with this group of supposedly unreachable hitters? This would be a great hire during the season, since someone like Frank would keep Ozzie on his toes.

If we're talking about offseason moves and that the current manager and GM have to go, I'd clear the decks with:

1) Jerry - sell the team. His philosophy in regards to drafting, player development and the usual crippled budgets (although we didn't see it this year) have more hindered our success than helped it. Also, the adversarial way he handles the fanbase rankles some people. You want to attract fans, not dismiss them.

I'd love to see an owner like Arte Moreno of the Angels who would rock the boat and directly challenge the Cubs for supremacy in this town, as it was before WGN and push the Sox closer to the level of the Yankees and Red Sox, which won't happen without a commitment by ownership.

2) GM - Andrew Friedman, give the Rays architect a chance to construct a team in a big market. Since he'd command a large salary and more power than the Sox usually give, we'd likely need #1 to make this happen.

3) Manager - I'd hate to see Ozzie go, But if he does, forget this idea of a no-name meek, quiet, book manager, the big-market Sox need a name guy with a track record of playoff success. Depending on how the playoffs shake out this year, some good managers could be available. If someone like Maddon or Francona are available, the Sox need to jump on that. I don't want to see LaRussa back, that's current Sox brass thinking.

4) Revamp the player development and scouting staff. Get rid of the Jerry "Sox family" hires, and bring in good judges of talent. Invest in the draft, the minor league and international systems and overall player development.

We've come a long way since 2001, but the next 5-10 years will tell if the Sox make the leap to the next level or backslide to the second division.

tsoxman
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Frank is perfect for the hitting coach job, but would he give up his post-baseball lifestyle in Vegas to coach full-time? Especially to work with this group of supposedly unreachable hitters? This would be a great hire during the season, since someone like Frank would keep Ozzie on his toes.

If we're talking about offseason moves and that the current manager and GM have to go, I'd clear the decks with:

1) Jerry - sell the team. His philosophy in regards to drafting, player development and the usual crippled budgets (although we didn't see it this year) have more hindered our success than helped it. Also, the adversarial way he handles the fanbase rankles some people. You want to attract fans, not dismiss them.

I'd love to see an owner like Arte Moreno of the Angels who would rock the boat and directly challenge the Cubs for supremacy in this town, as it was before WGN and push the Sox closer to the level of the Yankees and Red Sox, which won't happen without a commitment by ownership.

2) GM - Andrew Friedman, give the Rays architect a chance to construct a team in a big market. Since he'd command a large salary and more power than the Sox usually give, we'd likely need #1 to make this happen.

3) Manager - I'd hate to see Ozzie go, But if he does, forget this idea of a no-name meek, quiet, book manager, the big-market Sox need a name guy with a track record of playoff success. Depending on how the playoffs shake out this year, some good managers could be available. If someone like Maddon or Francona are available, the Sox need to jump on that. I don't want to see LaRussa back, that's current Sox brass thinking.

4) Revamp the player development and scouting staff. Get rid of the Jerry "Sox family" hires, and bring in good judges of talent. Invest in the draft, the minor league and international systems and overall player development.

We've come a long way since 2001, but the next 5-10 years will tell if the Sox make the leap to the next level or backslide to the second division.
Very well thought out post, Russ. I would counter a bit on the big-name manager. Getting a guy like that is fine, as long as he isn't long in the tooth like a Piniella. it could also be a bench coach who has served under a successful manager.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't really care who, all I know is that I would love to see Greg Walker fired, would really like to see Ozzie fired, and don't care one way or the other on Ken Williams.

Walker sucks. That is obvious. Ozzie sucks, too. But Williams, for all his goofy deals and bloated contracts as of late, still has been able to woo JR into opening his wallet, something I can't quite forget. I think, ideally, I'd like to see some new on-field management see if they can get through to these guys. Ozzie and Walk might be great coaches for all I know, but they cleary cannot get through to this team, so it's time to try something new. We still have a good pitching staff, if there could only be someone out there who could get through to Dunn, light a fire under Rios, and maybe find a way to save Beckham, we'd be sitting pretty. That said, if Williams was shown the door, I really wouldn't care too much.

soxfanatlanta
07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
:offtopic:

I'm curious...

I have read quite few times that Steve Stone would be a great GM, but is there any proof or track record to back up this claim? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to his perspective and insight, but can he really spot talent and architect an effective, winning organization?

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Manager - someone who doesn't worry about ****ing Twitter all day long.

Hitting Coach - someone with a pulse.

GM - someone who doesn't feel he has to compete with the Manager for attention from the President.

Good luck!

doublem23
07-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I have read quite few times that Steve Stone would be a great GM, but is there any proof or track record to back up this claim? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to his perspective and insight, but can he really spot talent and architect an effective, winning organization?

I think very few of us really have any sort of credible opinion on what it takes to be a good GM, manager, coach, etc. We know it when we see it happening, but I doubt any of us are really qualified to hand pick people to do the job. I see some folks clammoring for Frank Thomas as a hitting coach, which just seems absurd to me... A) he has no coaching experience that I know of and B) he had to basically have his own private hitting coach because the guy he did best under literally drove everyone else insane.

Rocky Soprano
07-08-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't really care who, all I know is that I would love to see Greg Walker fired, would really like to see Ozzie fired, and don't care one way or the other on Ken Williams.

Walker sucks. That is obvious. Ozzie sucks, too. But Williams, for all his goofy deals and bloated contracts as of late, still has been able to woo JR into opening his wallet, something I can't quite forget. I think, ideally, I'd like to see some new on-field management see if they can get through to these guys. Ozzie and Walk might be great coaches for all I know, but they cleary cannot get through to this team, so it's time to try something new. We still have a good pitching staff, if there could only be someone out there who could get through to Dunn, light a fire under Rios, and maybe find a way to save Beckham, we'd be sitting pretty. That said, if Williams was shown the door, I really wouldn't care too much.

Very well said. :gulp:

TomBradley72
07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Manager: I'd like to see Ozzie let go at the All Star break- I want someone for the 2nd half to assess the team overall- then make the long term decision in the offseason. For that specific role- I wouldn't mind seeing Robin Ventura or Carlton Fisk (not that it would ever happen).

GM: I hold KW more accountable for this mess than OG- I don't think any manager could make this collection of overpriced veterans, free swinging/slow footed hackers a real winner- he built this mess and he's saddled the franchise with contracts that NO ONE will want- just horrible. Plus a mediocre farm system after 15+ years of executive responsibility for that area. Promoting Hahn to GM would be OK with me, IF, they would bring in a Senior Exec to oversee the organization between the GM and JR and instill a consistent, long term "White Sox Way" of playing the game. KW has careened from one direction to the other each season- swinging wildly to build a short term winner- while trading talent like Gio or Hudson for quick fix veterans.

MeteorsSox4367
07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Manager - I don't think Bevington was given a fair enough opportunity when he was here. I know he'd probably have to give up his gig as a night manager at White Castle, but...

Actually, I loved Ozzie as a player and God bless him for 2005. And I love Ozzie's candor and the fact that he doesn't rely on Lovie Smith-like cliches to communicate with the media.

But I'm tired of all the drama and the Sox' lack of bleeping fundamentals at times and Ozzie looking into the stands while the game is being played. I just think it's time for someone else to manage my favorite team.

GM - Someone who can balance both spending through free agency and understands the value of the farm system. If Kenny stays, fine. If he leaves, fine.

Hitting coach - Walker is/was one of my favorite players. The Kittle/Walker era brings back some fond memories.

As a hitting coach, Walker drives me nuts. Watching Beckham - who I still think will develop into a quality major-leaguer - with that long, loopy swing just irritates the hell out of me. Watch some of Beckham's practice swings. He swings the bat like a driver.

Lack of clutch hits, lack of driving in runners from third with one out, lack of getting guys over, all that bleep needs to be improved. Someone has to be responsible for that. Sorry, Greg, but it's you, dude.

bluedemon45
07-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Baseball is the one sport where I really don't know what makes a good candidate for manager, general manager or hitting coach. So much is done behind the scenes in the clubhouse.

After last night, I'm officially for letting Ozzie Guillen go. One of my favorite players as a kid, and I'll never forget 2005 for the rest of my life. But we've underachieved so much and the one thing that has been consistent since 2005 is management.

If there is one manager I'd try to get I would look for someone that worked under Bobby Cox. The guy did something right all those years in Atlanta and he hand picked his predecessor who is doing great now in Atlanta.

Hitting coach...just someone different.

TheOldRoman
07-08-2011, 10:41 AM

Walker sucks. That is obvious. Ozzie sucks, too. But Williams, for all his goofy deals and bloated contracts as of late, still has been able to woo JR into opening his wallet, something I can't quite forget. I think, ideally, I'd like to see some new on-field management see if they can get through to these guys. Ozzie and Walk might be great coaches for all I know, but they cleary cannot get through to this team, so it's time to try something new. We still have a good pitching staff, if there could only be someone out there who could get through to Dunn, light a fire under Rios, and maybe find a way to save Beckham, we'd be sitting pretty. That said, if Williams was shown the door, I really wouldn't care too much.This is how I feel. Walker needs to be fired five years ago. Ozzie needs to be fired immediately and Kenny is a maybe. Aside from deferring to Ozzie on some personnel decisions, the biggest fault of Williams has been allowing Greg Walker to **** on his rug for the past 6 years.

Johnny Mostil
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Regarding Stone as GM: has any organization had success with an ex-player-turned-broadcaster-turned-GM? I recall the Sox had one previously, and it didn't go well. But I've no idea what is the typical career path for a GM.

DumpJerry
07-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Why do I think change will happen? Well, to use your yardstick (above): The White Sox are demonstrably NOT the Twins. If its White Sox goal to emulate that organization's strong points, I think it would be folly to just plug in Ozzie and Kenny for the next 20 years for the sake of being more Twin-like. Also, we fans see the underperforming trends of this year and the last few years ad nauseum. If nothing changes, nothing changes, except attendance plummets. That's why.
Yes, I'd like to see Frank in some coaching/instructional role. He was a successful student of hitting (and not a bad baserunner either!) and likely has something useful to teach.
Ever hear of two guys named Walter Alston and Tommy Lasorda? They ran the Dodgers from 1954-1996
Connie Mack ran the A's from 1901-1950.

It's not only the Twins who have decided stability at the Manager spot is important.

SI1020
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Ever hear of two guys named Walter Alston and Tommy Lasorda? They ran the Dodgers from 1954-1996

It's not only the Twins who have decided stability at the Manager spot is important. The White Sox need to make a clean sweep so maybe they can achieve that kind of stability in the years to come. At this point, there is little but stunning incompetence from the GM on down.

TomBradley72
07-08-2011, 11:19 AM

It's not only the Twins who have decided stability at the Manager spot is important.

Not necessarily the best example-zero first place finishes from 1932-1950.

jdm2662
07-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I have no problem with promoting Hahn to GM. Kenny Williams can either get kicked upstairs or be fired. I don't care either way.

As for the coaching staff, no more members from the good ol boys club. It's time to get outside people here. Who? I can't tell you specifically. I would be in favor of a hot bench coach under a top manager or if a good manager with experience will be available. For this year, I'd be ok with firing Ozzie and letting Buddy Bell finish the year as an intern manager. I always felt he was a decent manager, but he always got stuck with horse **** teams. I don't think Bell would be interested, though. He's not a long term solution, and I'm sure he'd want to be one.

My one requirement for a manager is not act like a drama queen. The most important thing is to win games, not making yourself look good.

jdm2662
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Regarding Stone as GM: has any organization had success with an ex-player-turned-broadcaster-turned-GM? I recall the Sox had one previously, and it didn't go well. But I've no idea what is the typical career path for a GM.

Making Stone a GM is probably not the best idea. However, giving him advisory role probably wouldn't hurt. This team just needs ideas outside of the good ol boys club. Stone will always be his own person.

russ99
07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Baseball is the one sport where I really don't know what makes a good candidate for manager, general manager or hitting coach. So much is done behind the scenes in the clubhouse.

After last night, I'm officially for letting Ozzie Guillen go. One of my favorite players as a kid, and I'll never forget 2005 for the rest of my life. But we've underachieved so much and the one thing that has been consistent since 2005 is management.

If there is one manager I'd try to get I would look for someone that worked under Bobby Cox. The guy did something right all those years in Atlanta and he hand picked his predecessor who is doing great now in Atlanta.

Hitting coach...just someone different.

LOL - Ozzie learned a lot of what he knows about managing from Bobby Cox.

I almost can't wait until we have a new manager so I can berate everyone for praising the same strategies that they currently rip Ozzie for.

Zisk77
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Got to disagree with you about Frank for th following reasons:

1. While the big hurt is the greatest hitter in W.Sox history, he is the only person on the planet that would be successful hitting with his hitting mechanics. So just what mechanically is he going to teach the hitters.

2. For most of his career Frank would not listen to anyone about hitting except Walt Hriniak. The Hrinkiak/Lau style of hitting has kind of fallen out of favor. It actually did this while frank was still in a Sox uniform.

3. Frank was a guy that learned best through watching video tape. He didn't want to hear what he was doing wrong or feel what he was doing wrong. My guess as an instructor he would likey try to show players what there doing wrong. However some learn by feeling (Rowand) and some by hearing (Konerko). Can Frank teach to other modalities?

4. Does Frank even want that thankless job. Frank is beloved by most of our fanbase. He won't be after spending some time as hitting coach. I'd give this site about a month before the fire Frank Thomas threads began. :scratch:

Also on another post (too lazy to find it) its Hahn not Khan (unless u mean Ghengis should be bench coach). I don't understand why you would want Hahn as a bench coach. He isn't a "baseball" guy as far as strategy goes. He's an administrator with baseball knowledge. That would fit the category of promoting a person until they reach a level of incompetence and then keeping them there (yes a realize that wouldn't be a promotion but you get the point).

Crestani
07-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Manager...Hawk Harrelson

Hitting coach...Hawk Harrelson

General Manager...Hawk Harrleson

He has all the answers..!!

tstrike2000
07-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Manager - I don't think Bevington was given a fair enough opportunity when he was here. I know he'd probably have to give up his gig as a night manager at White Castle, but..

:o:

tstrike2000
07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Manager...Hawk Harrelson

Hitting coach...Hawk Harrelson

General Manager...Hawk Harrleson

He has all the answers..!!

He'll put AJ in left field and convince MLB to let Ron Gardenhire be his special assistant even though he manages our division rival.

hi im skot
07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Also on another post (too lazy to find it) its Hahn not Khan (unless u mean Ghengis should be bench coach). I don't understand why you would want Hahn as a bench coach. He isn't a "baseball" guy as far as strategy goes. He's an administrator with baseball knowledge. That would fit the category of promoting a person until they reach a level of incompetence and then keeping them there (yes a realize that wouldn't be a promotion but you get the point).

Khan is a poster here. Probably the smartest guy on the board, if you ask him.

tstrike2000
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM

I almost can't wait until we have a new manager so I can berate everyone for praising the same strategies that they currently rip Ozzie for.

Do you think Bobby Cox would bat Morel 2nd and Dunn 3rd on more than one occasion, overuse the bullpen, and play people in spots they shouldn't be playing?

bluedemon45
07-08-2011, 12:31 PM

He says he looked up to Bobby Cox has an icon. Doesn't mean he learned anything. The only thing they have in common when it comes to managing.....is getting tossed out of games.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Yeah, I can't wait for our next manager's son to go berserk on Twitter. Every MLB team has to deal with that, right?

kufram
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I can't wait for our next manager's son to go berserk on Twitter. Every MLB team has to deal with that, right?

I have never read a single word that Onie, Oney or Oona or whatever the Ozzie kids are called have written and I don't understand why anybody would spend 2 seconds paying any attention whatsoever to anything any manager's kids say or do.

What was there to actually deal with that ignoring it wouldn't have solved?

Soxfest
07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a bad feeling Cora will get the manager's job. Hitting coach will be another JR loyalty guy.

captain54
07-08-2011, 01:13 PM

that's some killer material, my man....when do you open at Zanies?

Lip Man 1
07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I am hopeful that some changes will happen over the break but I've got to tell you that as of today (Friday) it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

A higher ranked member of the front office just let me know, "the prevailing feeling in the organization is that we can still win the division..."

Take that for what you will.

Now that opinion can always change I guess, especially if the last three games turn out to be as bad as Thursday night.

By the way I passed along in general terms how frustrated the fans are here at WSI, how many of those same fans are saying that without changes they want nothing to do with this club in the second half and how much 'doing nothing' is a gamble.

Lip

jdm2662
07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
He'll put AJ in left field and convince MLB to let Ron Gardenhire be his special assistant even though he manages our division rival.

He'd also trade half of the team for Carlos Gomez.

TomBradley72
07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't think Ozzie is a bad manager- I just think after 7.5 seasons, which is a long tenure for a major league manager, it's time for a change. I think the make up of the roster (Kenny's responsibility) is a bigger issue than how that roster is being managed.

Over the past 30 days, all these players have basically sucked: Rios, Quentin, Morel (weak offense/good defense), Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn, Lillibridge- the new manager definitely needs to come from outside the current organization (I still think Fisk or Ventura would be interesting for a few months)- we need an entirely different culture and clubhouse than we have today.

palehozenychicty
07-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't think Ozzie is a bad manager- I just think after 7.5 seasons, which is a long tenure for a major league manager, it's time for a change. I think the make up of the roster (Kenny's responsibility) is a bigger issue than how that roster is being managed.

Over the past 30 days, all these players have basically sucked: Rios, Quentin, Morel (weak offense/good defense), Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn, Lillibridge- the new manager definitely needs to come from outside the current organization (I still think Fisk or Ventura would be interesting for a few months)- we need an entirely different culture and clubhouse than we have today.

Indeed. The team has no identity in the lineup. They go up there just hacking with no purpose.

I think our pitching staff has one, in which they throw to contact. Unfortunately, we don't have enough players on the field who have the ability to play consistently. A lot of wild cards. I do think Morel and Beckham can be good major leaguers under a better hitting coach. They already play well defensively.

Ramirez is overrated. I don't like his baseball IQ.

Rios just sucks. How on earth did Ricciardi think this guy was worth that contract? He had to have been on hallucinogens.

Adam Dunn...I can't understand.