PDA

View Full Version : Parking for games

Iron Dragon2
07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
I did a search for parking around the stadium, but the best thread I found is 2 years old, so I'd like some updated info. We're driving 3+ hours to get to Chicago, and I'd like not to pay $23 to park. Where else can I go? Are the nearby streets metered? Thanks.

KMcMahon817
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I usually park in the Illinois Institute of Technology parking lot. I don't think you're really supposed to, but I have done it about 15 times and never had a problem.

DumpJerry
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Streets are metered and the ones not metered are zoned.

Iron Dragon2
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Zoned = Need a permit?

doublem23
07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Zoned = Need a permit?

Yes, they're zoned for local residents on game days.

There are a few tricks but I haven't driven to a Sox game in years and with the new pay boxes I don't know what's still safe and what's not. Best bet might be to go to one of the local, nearby bar/restaurants that offer free shuttles to and from each game. Rocky's on 32nd and Wings & Rings on Halsted do this, IIRC.

kevingrt
07-07-2011, 01:20 PM
29th and Canal

palehosepub
07-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Have a pop at Cork and Kerry's and get a parking pass and walk the few blocks to the park.

JimmyJoe
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Go to Cobblestone's at 39th & Parnell and go inside for a meal and they'll let you park in their lot for free.

skobabe8
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Or Connie's on Archer for some pizza and a free shuttle.

BainesHOF
07-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Unfortunately, the area around 35th even west of Halsted is now zoned. I parked on Lituanica by Catchers for years. I wondered what prompted the change after all this time.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Unfortunately, the area around 35th even west of Halsted is now zoned. I parked on Lituanica by Catchers for years. I wondered what prompted the change after all this time.
Tons of people either wrote to or talked with our Alderman (Balczer). He listened. There have been talks around the ward of moving the zoned boundary all the way north to 26th Street.

BainesHOF
07-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Tons of people either wrote to or talked with our Alderman (Balczer). He listened. There have been talks around the ward of moving the zoned boundary all the way north to 26th Street.

I understand the neighborhood wanting zoned parking, but I thought that was already pretty much the case. What I don't understand is why Lituanica was zoned, too, with Catchers there. That pretty much prevents anybody with a car from patronizing the bar. I thought the city doesn't/can't zone parking adjacent to businesses. For instance, there's a two-block stretch very close to the United Center that isn't zoned because there's a couple businesses located on the street.

Can anyone add anymore information about where there is non-zoned street parking around the Cell these days? What are the boundaries north, south, east and west?

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Or Connie's on Archer for some pizza and a free shuttle.

:thumbsup:

That was going to be my suggestion. Can't go wrong there!

doublem23
07-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I understand the neighborhood wanting zoned parking, but I thought that was already pretty much the case. What I don't understand is why Lituanica was zoned, too, with Catchers there. That pretty much prevents anybody with a car from patronizing the bar. I thought the city doesn't/can't zone parking adjacent to businesses. For instance, there's a two-block stretch very close to the United Center that isn't zoned because there's a couple businesses located on the street.

Most of the zoned parking around the Cell only applies to game days, though, right?

DSpivack
07-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Most of the zoned parking around the Cell only applies to game days, though, right?

Even so, that's still 81 days a year.