PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever dreaded going to a game?

MARTINMVP
07-07-2011, 08:57 AM
So.... I'm going to tonight's Sox game as part of my college alumni group. Looking forward to hanging out with friends and being at the ballpark. But as far as the actual game goes, I am absolutely dreading this. What doesn't help is that I also recently agreed to go on Saturday since another group had an extra ticket.

I want to hope and believe that the team will finally get over this thing with the Twins, but with how they have been playing, why should I even cling to any optimism...

No one is forcing me to go to these games, and again, the ballpark experience itself will be fun, but outside of that, has anyone else ever kind of dreaded going to a game like this?

I felt the exact same last last September. I had bought tickets far ahead to the Friday night, half way to St. Patrick's Day game -- that was the week that the Sox bottomed out to the Twins, pretty much ensuring they would not be playing in October. I went to that game absolutely disgusted, unable to stand up during the lineup introductions - was also disgusted because I knew I'd be back 48 hours later for the Sunday night game as well.

chisox12
07-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I have dreaded going to a few late in the season September games in the past.

I would absolutely be dreading going to any of these 4 games against the Twins this weekend. You just know how this is going to play out. I sure hope I am wrong...

spawn
07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I never dread going to a game, otherwise, what's the point in going? No matter how the team is playing, I always have fun at the park.

hawkjt
07-07-2011, 09:24 AM
I never dread going to a game, otherwise, what's the point in going? No matter how the team is playing, I always have fun at the park.

This. I understand how bad the mojo is right now,but it is baseball,where even the worst teams win 40% of the time. Yes,it is the Twins,and the Sox have not won 40% vs them recently,but odds are going to swing at some point,and the Sox will beat them...someday:wink:

Humber is on the mound tonite, so there is hope.

asindc
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I truly believe that some of the fans who bemoan the Sox genuflecting at the site of Alexi Casilla et. al should look in the mirror first. **** the Twinkees, I say.

Law11
07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Ive never dreaded going to a game. Ive dreaded the thought of sitting in traffic to get there but not the game itself. Tomorrow night is a perfect example for me. Heading into Chicago on a friday night.. Never fun traffic wise.

PeteWard
07-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Just don't go then.

DumpJerry
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Dread going to a game? Why would someone dread going to a game unless they knew that there is someone at the game who wants to kill them or they are scared they might get e. coli from a bad churro?

It's not like the movie "The Warriors" where if the Sox are losing badly and someone points at you and shouts "He! He's the one who cost us this game!" causing several thousand people, prompted by Gene Honda, to beat the daylights out of you.

JB98
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I dreaded going to games in 2009 because the Sox went 6-13 in the 19 games I attended.

It's baseball, so you're gonna see some losses when you go to as many games as I do. But the Sox lost every game I went to for about a three-month period that year, and it got to the point where I didn't really want to go anymore.

Worst of all, they never scored any runs when I was at the park. They were always getting beat 7-0 and 6-1. It wasn't much fun.

JC456
07-07-2011, 01:10 PM
You may see another no hitter thrown by the Twins Cy young!

kevingrt
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Humber is on the mound tonite, so there is hope.

That's about all the hope I have right now.

WhiteSox56
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Yep, that's how it should be.

KMcMahon817
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I truly believe that some of the fans who bemoan the Sox genuflecting at the site of Alexi Casilla et. al should look in the mirror first. **** the Twinkees, I say.

I like your style.

soltrain21
07-07-2011, 01:36 PM
It's a freaking baseball game. You aren't going to your public execution.

doublem23
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Two words: Nacho. Helmets.

You're welcome.

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I dreaded going to the White Sox/Red Sox series in 2007, and I went to 3 of the 4 games. That, if you remember, was the series we were outscored something like 46-8 or something close to that. My boyfriend was pissed that I wanted to leave early in one of them.

QueerGirrl
07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Dread going to a game? Why would someone dread going to a game unless they knew that there is someone at the game who wants to kill them or they are scared they might get e. coli from a bad churro?

It's not like the movie "The Warriors" where if the Sox are losing badly and someone points at you and shouts "He! He's the one who cost us this game!" causing several thousand people, prompted by Gene Honda, to beat the daylights out of you.

Haha! I love "The Warriors" references: hopefully the Sox will "come out and playaayyy!"

Two words: Nacho. Helmets.

You're welcome.

:drool:

Over By There
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
The only time I dreaded going to a game was Game 2 last season. It was 39 degrees and drizzling at first pitch, so I was dreading the elements a bit (not the actual game).

russ99
07-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Not often.

Sub 30 degree days in April, and days when I only have cash for a hot dog and one beer. :D:

As for the play on the field, never.

voodoochile
07-07-2011, 07:46 PM
No, dread is the last thing that comes to my mind when going to a baseball game. In fact I find the whole concept bewildering...

Edit: I will add that going to Bears/Packers games for many years did lead to heightened anxiety. More so when the games fell on Monday night...

Dan H
07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I dread any time a White Sox hitter comes up with runners in scoring position.

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I think that "dread" is much too strong a term here, or you shouldn't go to the game. That said, if the Sox drop Friday and Saturday's games vs the Twinkies (and 0-7 for the year vs those guys), the game I am going to on Sunday doesn't shape up to be a whole lot of fun at the old ball park.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
07-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Not dread, but when I realized that I was not looking forward to going to Sox games in Minneapolis, I stopped going.

gosox41
07-08-2011, 11:10 PM
So.... I'm going to tonight's Sox game as part of my college alumni group. Looking forward to hanging out with friends and being at the ballpark. But as far as the actual game goes, I am absolutely dreading this. What doesn't help is that I also recently agreed to go on Saturday since another group had an extra ticket.

I want to hope and believe that the team will finally get over this thing with the Twins, but with how they have been playing, why should I even cling to any optimism...

No one is forcing me to go to these games, and again, the ballpark experience itself will be fun, but outside of that, has anyone else ever kind of dreaded going to a game like this?

I felt the exact same last last September. I had bought tickets far ahead to the Friday night, half way to St. Patrick's Day game -- that was the week that the Sox bottomed out to the Twins, pretty much ensuring they would not be playing in October. I went to that game absolutely disgusted, unable to stand up during the lineup introductions - was also disgusted because I knew I'd be back 48 hours later for the Sunday night game as well.

I made a promise to take the kids on Sunday and since they're too young to understand the frustration of this team it is really hard to back out. I am dreading it though.

SephClone89
07-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Going to Sunday's game for a (newly engaged) friend's birthday.

He's also receiving a Mark Teahen jersey shirt, and will be forced to wear it to the game.

I think we'll have enough fun, though the last two times I saw them play the Twins it was 20-1 in '09 and the first game in thei final last series that buried the season...

tebman
07-09-2011, 10:59 AM
The Sox are bad this year, maddeningly so. I shake my head and mutter things under my breath watching some of these games.

But I always look forward to going to the ballpark. I'm going to Saturday's game, and after a tiresome week at work there's no place I'd rather be.

All they promise us when we buy a ticket is that a baseball game will be played. No guarantee of a win or of a spectacular moment, but part of the attraction is that either of those might happen.

Case in point: game 13 of my Ozzie Plan package in 2009 was a random Thursday afternoon game in July that I almost didn't attend because of the difficulty of taking a vacation day from work at that time. I was going to give the tickets to my son and suggest he find a friend to take, but I decided to go anyway. That was the day Buehrle pitched his perfect game. 'Nuff said.

I love being at the ballpark. It's like the scene in the movie "Patton" where the general is surveying a smoldering battlefield and tells his aide, "I love it. God help me I do love it so." Yeah, the Sox have reached new levels of non-performance but it's my battlefield and I'd still rather be there.

BubblingCalderon
07-09-2011, 11:53 AM
I know exactly how you feel I often dread going to games. I don't mind watching bad baseball if you get to see developing young players like the late 90's Sox. This team offers nothing of value. I will always watch the games on TV but I don't feel like spending money to watch a team that fails to move runners over, and hasn't score more than 5 runs at home, in a hitters ballpark, since June 3rd.

Over By There
07-09-2011, 12:22 PM
The Sox are bad this year, maddeningly so. I shake my head and mutter things under my breath watching some of these games.

But I always look forward to going to the ballpark. I'm going to Saturday's game, and after a tiresome week at work there's no place I'd rather be.

All they promise us when we buy a ticket is that a baseball game will be played. No guarantee of a win or of a spectacular moment, but part of the attraction is that either of those might happen.

Case in point: game 13 of my Ozzie Plan package in 2009 was a random Thursday afternoon game in July that I almost didn't attend because of the difficulty of taking a vacation day from work at that time. I was going to give the tickets to my son and suggest he find a friend to take, but I decided to go anyway. That was the day Buehrle pitched his perfect game. 'Nuff said.

I love being at the ballpark. It's like the scene in the movie "Patton" where the general is surveying a smoldering battlefield and tells his aide, "I love it. God help me I do love it so." Yeah, the Sox have reached new levels of non-performance but it's my battlefield and I'd still rather be there.

Great post, tebman. :cheers:

ChiSoxGal85
07-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Apparently I don't dread going to the games, because I was just offered two free tickets for tomorrows game - and I took them without a second thought. Would I have paid for them? Probably not. But I'm going to go and have fun and spend some quality time with my daughter. And hope for a win.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Apparently I don't dread going to the games, because I was just offered two free tickets for tomorrows game - and I took them without a second thought. Would I have paid for them? Probably not. But I'm going to go and have fun and spend some quality time with my daughter. And hope for a win.
That's great you got free tickets. Unfortunately, we're facing a no-name pitcher. Combine that with the fact that he pitches for the Twins, and that would make me cry. I don't think I will be going to any more Sox/Twins games in the near future.

Maybe you should bring a sign and show it to Ozzie telling him to stop respecting the Twins so much.

HomeFish
07-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes. On my birthday in 2006, the Sox were playing against the Twins and Johan Santana was starting.

I just plain didn't go, even though I had the tickets since April.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Was that the game Thome beat him with a home run?

Lip

LITTLE NELL
07-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Will be up in Chicago at the end of the month and was planning to go to the afternoon game against Detroit on the 27th. I thought it would be a battle for 1st place. Now I'm not so sure I even want to go.
This season so far has been a $127,000,000.00 nightmare.

Big Gus
07-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't dread going to a game because I have cut way back on tickets ever since they traded Aaron Rowand away. All references to 2005 are bogus, since no team was like the '05 team. Not even close.

Tired of the bad relief and lately starting pitching (not a big Floyd fan - a major league pitcher ought to be able to hold runners on base).
Quite a few players this year appear flat and that goes for the manager, too.
Broken record excuses on the post game Score Radio Shows are getting pathetic.

At least the fans are entertained by the antics of Dunn this year and can act like the Met fans did when their teams sucked back in the day.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm amazed that in the last few days, we've had several people who registered years ago but have almost no posts suddenly come out of the woodwork to complain. I'd think that if you don't care enough to post when things are going good, you wouldn't even be paying any attention now.