PDA

View Full Version : Haugh on Dayan "controversy"

Lip Man 1
07-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Seems to make some excellent points:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0707-haugh-chicago--20110707,0,2879948.column

Lip

doublem23
07-06-2011, 11:59 PM
I've been reading basically the exact same thing here for the past... twelve weeks?

Great columnist, that David Haugh is, though, always has his finger on the pulse of the big story.

Lip Man 1
07-07-2011, 12:05 AM
At least he got it out in the open Double from a 'mainstream media' standpoint. With all respect I figure more people read the Tribune than come to WSI.

I'd be curious to know who you think is a good sports media person either locally or nationally and why.

Lip

Noneck
07-07-2011, 01:29 AM
A couple of important things he didnt address. The fact that by leaving him in the minors, he is either more valuable to the Sox in the future or as trade bait.

jdm2662
07-07-2011, 09:16 AM
At least he got it out in the open Double from a 'mainstream media' standpoint. With all respect I figure more people read the Tribune than come to WSI.

I'd be curious to know who you think is a good sports media person either locally or nationally and why.

Lip

I think Haugh is ok. He's not great, but he's not terrible. Most of the stuff he writes is simply flavor of the month. This was especially the case when he was the Bears beat writer. Really, anyone can do that. I think he tries to be fair overall. He has flat out admitted he doesn't care for Cutler personally, but yet, Haugh was one of Cutler's biggest defenders after the NFC Championship game. So, I think he can have an open mind sometimes, unlike Joe Cowley.

balke
07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Guessing 4 more games until he is called up or traded. I have trouble getting excited for Viciedo. His bat sounds like thunder and he's king of the minor leagues... but will it translate into success? A lot of guys are about 6 weeks and a scouting report away from being a total bust.

All I know is this team needs a Dye like presence or better until we can relax about the offense - and that's asking a lot.

The lineup is broken because you have a guy who walks exclusively at the heart of the order - guys who hit at the front of the order - and multiple guys who don't hit at all - they just play defense. You string together hits by stringing together hitters.

Morel looks like he could develop well - but he's the worst bat in baseball at 3B next to Figgins. Coupled with Rios... this is bad. Need to upgrade one of those bats - and Rios is a lot tougher to replace because of finances.

4 games might be the last chance to prove themselves as contenders or pretenders. Split at home - go cheap and plan for next year. Beat the Twins - remain all in.

Harry Potter
07-07-2011, 09:48 AM
4 games might be the last chance to prove themselves as contenders or pretenders. Split at home - go cheap and plan for next year. Beat the Twins - remain all in.

Sadly, I think many of us, me included, would be tickled pink with getting a split this weekend against ****ing Minnesota.

The Immigrant
07-07-2011, 10:17 AM

I can't think of many, but I do think there's nobody that covers the White Sox better than Jim Margalus.

24thStFan
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
David Haugh is a hack who does not do his research diligently and then uses his privilege as a columnist to pursue his own personal agenda. Case in point--his slanderous stories about the non-existent sexual assault at Notre Dame.

Don't believe a word that he writes.

SephClone89
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
David Haugh is a hack who does not do his research diligently and then uses his privilege as a columnist to pursue his own personal agenda. Case in point--his slanderous stories about the non-existent sexual assault at Notre Dame.

Don't believe a word that he writes.

...Yeah, this is what they call an ad hominem attack.

EDIT:
(and "hack" is an overused, tired, almost meaningless shot that people level against just about anyone who they dislike)

btw, every journalist writes with some respect to a personal motivation to tell a good story, to generate some (hopefully meaningful) conversation. Using the loaded term "agenda" is a great attempt to obscure that fact.

Why don't people realize that the goal of any writer, especially a columnist, is to write a good story or compelling argument, based on some fact? A columnist doesn't have a responsbility to "do diligent research and write the facts." A columnist is supposed to use those facts, and put it in some context, and tell a story or argues an opinion. Hopefully, it's one worth reading or discussing...but if it's not, that doesn't make them a disgrace or a "hack." It just means they weren't as successful with their piece as they could have or should have been.

[/mediacounterrant]

24thStFan
07-07-2011, 10:50 AM
...Yeah, this is what they call an ad hominem attack.

Is that you, David?

What goes around comes around. Haugh is the master of personal attacks.

SephClone89
07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Is that you, David?

Yes.

I, David Haugh, masquerade as a Springsteen-obsessed 21 year old soccer and tennis fan history ed student on Sox forums.

You got me.

24thStFan
07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Yes.

I, David Haugh, masquerade as a Springsteen-obsessed 21 year old soccer and tennis fan history ed student on Sox forums.

You got me.

We knew the media read WSI!

SephClone89
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I can't think of many, but I do think there's nobody that covers the White Sox better than Jim Margalus.

This is probably true.

The best Sox guys are bloggers.

DirtySox
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM

+ a million. Jim is the best there is.

Johnny Mostil
07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
+ a million. Jim is the best there is.

+1 more

guillensdisciple
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Nah guys, we're fine, we are tearing the cover off the ball and need no help.

All in foreva!