PDA

View Full Version : Selig: 'This will never happen again'

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 06:46 PM
Selig said the solutions are easy but that they would not be discussed until after the season. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar02/s/2002/0710/1404288.html)

He did say, however, that the answer was not expanding All-Star rosters. Instead, he suggested managers should use starters deeper into the game, instead of trying to play everybody.

Brenly informed Selig that pitcher Vicente Padilla had trouble loosening up. Selig said that if Padilla had been healthy, he would have ordered the game to continue.

Soxheads
07-10-2002, 08:48 PM
I would hope Selig wouldn't be the Comissioner by that time, but I know better.

Anywho, expanding rosters (32?) and not requiring every team to have a participant might help. Robert Fick will deserve to be on an All-Star team when I start making sensical posts. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-10-2002, 09:03 PM
hey, Fick did better than a lot of people last night, base hit, stolen base, run scored*coughshammewhocantbaseruncough*

FanOf14
07-10-2002, 09:14 PM
LMAO ChiWhiteSox1337!!! I honestly think the stopping of the game in the 11th wouldn't have been so bad if 1) there was an MVP or two and 2) They told the fans why the game was stopping when they announced it in the middle of the eleventh instead of just saying the game was over.

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Just how would expanding the rosters help, since the consensus here was that you are cheating the fans if you hold anyone back in case of extra innings? An expanded roster would just mean the manager would have to hustle even more to get everyone into the game by the 9th inning, and he'd still be out of players.

voodoochile
07-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Just how would expanding the rosters help, since the consensus here was that you are cheating the fans if you hold anyone back in case of extra innings? An expanded roster would just mean the manager would have to hustle even more to get everyone into the game by the 9th inning, and he'd still be out of players.

I would think you could name a starting pitcher as the 31st player with the understanding beforehand that they would not pitch unless the game went into extra innings (sort of an alternate starter). That way they could get the honor of being named, and would rarely get to pitch, unless the game went extra innings. Maybe set aside the honor for a long standing veteran who has never made the team before but has career stats that merit the pick. They would need to set an extra inning limit of 3 innings anyway, so as not to burn out a guy who might be starting later in the week. Maybe state up front that every manager has to expect to get to through the 10th without using the alternate (barring injury) and then they both come in no matter what. That would give them 13 innings guaranteed and the fans would know up front that no matter what, that was it.

This has only happened twice in the course of history anyway, once weather related and last night when they ran out of healthy pitchers. How many times has the game ever gone to extra innings? If so, what's the longest AS game in history inings wise?

I think it was very funny to watch all the griping and the moaning and the beating of chests over this one. It really isn't important who wins and loses, but I do agree that it was one more black eye in a season full of them for MLB. It's like they can't do anything right no matter what...

Poorly handled, but simple to fix...

Soxheads
07-11-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I would think you could name a starting pitcher as the 31st player with the understanding beforehand that they would not pitch unless the game went into extra innings (sort of an alternate starter). That way they could get the honor of being named, and would rarely get to pitch, unless the game went extra innings. Maybe set aside the honor for a long standing veteran who has never made the team before but has career stats that merit the pick. They would need to set an extra inning limit of 3 innings anyway, so as not to burn out a guy who might be starting later in the week. Maybe state up front that every manager has to expect to get to through the 10th without using the alternate (barring injury) and then they both come in no matter what. That would give them 13 innings guaranteed and the fans would know up front that no matter what, that was it.

This has only happened twice in the course of history anyway, once weather related and last night when they ran out of healthy pitchers. How many times has the game ever gone to extra innings? If so, what's the longest AS game in history inings wise?

I think it was very funny to watch all the griping and the moaning and the beating of chests over this one. It really isn't important who wins and loses, but I do agree that it was one more black eye in a season full of them for MLB. It's like they can't do anything right no matter what...

Nicely worded, voodoo. Good idea, too. :smile:

CLR01
07-11-2002, 02:46 AM

I was thinking pretty much the same thing earlier. One of the only differences i would bring 2 reserves along on each team so it could go even longer than 13 innings. Everything else i would agree with, these guys would come to the game knowing they wont play unless it goes into extra innings.

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 05:15 AM

Poorly handled, but simple to fix... didn't they use to do that in the 70's and earlier. i remember something like that and then the fans and players are saying that everyone should play if they are selected.

i may be wrong here.

voodoochile
07-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
didn't they use to do that in the 70's and earlier. i remember something like that and then the fans and players are saying that everyone should play if they are selected.

i may be wrong here.

It was never an official policy. The managers would hold back a pitcher in case there was extra innings, but people got upset that they didn't get to see their favorite player playing so they started trying to use everyone. An idea like the one above would be set in writing and would forbid the "Extra-Inning Starter" from pitching until the 11th inning except in case of injury. They would be designated before hand (like the 3rd QB in football) and if they came in no one else could pitch thereafter. Maybe add a rule that if a manager runs out of pitchers before the end of the game, the team forfeits - even if they are winning. That would be based on having to make 10 innings with the starters and add on 3 apiece for however many alternate pitchers you carry on the team...

idseer
07-11-2002, 10:28 AM

there have been 10 extra inning games with the longest being 15 innings.

as i recall there were ALWAYS players who did not make appearances in all star games. somewhere along the line the major leagues adopted the idea (probably from little league! maybe the players mothers got together and petitioned selig!) that everyone should play ... which in my mind is hogwash.
the honor is in being chosen.

Cheryl
07-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Another way to do it is limit the game to 9 innings. If it's a tie at the end of 9, then it's a tie.