soltrain21
07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Just leaving way too many guys on base.

soxnut1018
07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Well that sucked.

DickAllen72
07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Isn't there a good hitter in the minors the Sox could bring up?

Soxfest
07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Sox lose another game to a meatball pitcher that everyone else has crushed. 13 hits and 3 runs this team must love being under .500!:angry:

Patrick134
07-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I like Lillibrdge but his approach on that bases loaded at bat was atrocious.

ChiSoxGirl
07-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Just leaving way too many guys on base.

Thirteen, to be exact. Yuck!

A. Cavatica
07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Isn't there a good hitter in the minors the Sox could bring up?

What, and miss out on Dunn's big rebound?

SoxSpeed22
11 runners left on base, we made that Paulino guy look a lot better than he really is (wouldn't be the first guy we've done that for).

Soxman219
At least the Indians lost.

Soxman219
07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

JB98
07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
I guess the pitcher with the lifetime 7-27 record made pitches when he had to, while the former Cy Young award winner did not.

Just another night in an underachieving, disappointing season.

This club will finish between 78 and 84 wins. This is who they are.

Nelfox02
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
just cant go on a roll----imagine how this would look if we could just get on a modest 4-5 game streak.......

Nice to see Dunn return to form tonight.........

on one hand it was nice to see Rios get benched for not giving a **** last night, but on the other hand it was painful to watch those Lillibridge AB's, then again there is little reason to believe Rios would have done anything with men on either so.....

win this series tomorrow and then we can all run and hide as it is announced "the Twins are coming! The Twins are coming!!!!"

PalehosePlanet
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
3 Runs on 13 hits. We finished 0-9 w/RISP after Q's infield single got us our 3rd run in the 3rd.

Terrible KC pitching staff, and we can't do better than 8 runs in two games.

CHISOXFAN13
07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
At least the Indians lost.

To the Yankees. Cross another day off the calendar and a wasted opportunity.

We got what we could out of Lillibridge. He ****ing sucks.

russ99
07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Way too many missed opportunities tonight.

Lillibridge's at bat with Paulino on the ropes and wild should get him demoted to the minors.

The sad thing is would Rios done any better?

A. Cavatica
07-05-2011, 11:18 PM

Another season wasted, with management asleep at the switch.

Fire 'em all. Or don't.

Nelfox02
07-05-2011, 11:20 PM
To the Yankees. Cross another day off the calendar and a wasted opportunity.

We got what we could out of Lillibridge. He ****ing sucks.

still dont mind him on the team in a pinch run/late inning D guy.....good for the spot start for Rios, but the problem is not only does Rios suck, but he seems like he could really care less that he does.

but yeah, Brent is more Bridge than Beast

thomas35forever
07-05-2011, 11:20 PM
I begged my dad to take me to the game tonight. Glad he bought tickets for Thursday instead (though I'm not too optimistic about any game with the Twins).

Nelfox02
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Lillibridge's at bat with Paulino on the ropes and wild should get him demoted to the minors.

he might have gotten bat on ball for a shallow pop to short......

PalehosePlanet
07-05-2011, 11:23 PM
just cant go on a roll----imagine how this would look if we could just get on a modest 4-5 game streak.......

Nice to see Dunn return to form tonight.........

on one hand it was nice to see Rios get benched for not giving a **** last night, but on the other hand it was painful to watch those Lillibridge AB's, then again there is little reason to believe Rios would have done anything with men on either so.....

win this series tomorrow and then we can all run and hide as it is announced "the Twins are coming! The Twins are coming!!!!"

Within 3.5 games of us now and have beaten Price and Shields in back to back games, while we've sucked ass against Frances and Paulino.

Trying to be optimistic, but this team just drags me down big ****ing time.

sox230
07-05-2011, 11:28 PM

So you want to send Lillibridge to the minors for one at-bat and you continue to defend Ozzie game after game? Defend why it is a good idea to hit Dunn in the three hole batting well below .200 and when he has NEVER batted in the 3 spot during his years of success?

palehozenychicty
07-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Not a great team. Just average. What else is there to say?

Viva Medias B's
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Did anyone think TCQ was "dogging it" in right field tonight? I don't. I was at the game, and at least I didn't catch it. Callers brought it up to Ranger who promptly got really testy with them.

sox230
07-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Fire 'em all. Or don't.

The sad thing is that there is so much politics involved causing idle management. Uncle Jerry has a man-crush on Ozzie because he won him a WS. Kenny wants to can Ozzie immediately, bring up Viciedo, etc., but also wants to keep his job and not piss off Uncle Jerry, and Ozzie will keep his job as long as JR owns the team. It's painfully obvious. JR has always been a loyal guy, but he is putting loyalty in front of winning this year.

Nelfox02
07-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I had been hoping (praying?) for a big 5-2 run here....but a big component of that plan was an unlikely sweep of KC since I think about the best we can hope for vs Minn is 2-2.....

oh well....just get the W tomorrow.......pitching match up really does not favor the sox (then again does any pitching match up favor this offense?)

JB98
07-05-2011, 11:34 PM

Fire 'em all. Or don't.

Yeah, they're sleeping as usual.

The Tigers might win this thing with Verlander and nothing else in their rotation. That would be a huge indictment of the Sox.

The Sox have the deepest rotation in the division -- and a pretty good bullpen -- but they'll squander this opportunity because the position players (besides Konerko) all stink.

Every time the Sox get a RISP, the choke mechanism kicks in. Unless it's Konerko at the plate.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Why the hell can't this team get above break-even? Why do we struggle with RISP so badly? Why does this team routinely make scrubs look like Cy Young candidates? These trends are maddening!

hawkjt
07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
This team just does not hit in the clutch much.
KC has scored 7 runs in these two games on hits with two outs.
Sox have not gotten any hits with two outs with runners in scoring position in these two games.....nuff said.

They got hits,but Dunn,Lilly and Gordo were black holes tonite.

Jake has just not been that sharp since that relief outing vs the Nats.
His stuff has not been crackling vs the Rockies or KC.
Some bad luck in that last inning,but he has got to get Treynor,a .208 hitter.

PalehosePlanet

You mean take two fastballs down the middle then swing at a slider down and away and miss it by a foot?

Every time we have a bad pitcher on the ropes early we fail to deliver the knockout punch. Next thing you know it's three innings later and, lo and behold, guess who's still on the mound against us vying for the win? Yep, same pitcher who should have been in the shower 45 minutes ago.

2007, notwithstanding -- and due mostly to injuries -- this has to be the worst Sox offensive team since 1989.

Lip Man 1
Cleveland lost, Sox could have closed to 2 1/2 games...but no...more incompetence with men on base.

43rd time in 87 games they've scored three runs or less. Paulino may have been the worst pitcher the Sox saw this year and he still did whatever he wanted to.

Lip

DrCrawdad
07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
3 Runs on 13 hits. We finished 0-9 w/RISP after Q's infield single got us our 3rd run in the 3rd.

Terrible KC pitching staff, and we can't do better than 8 runs in two games.

The Tigers might win this thing with Verlander and nothing else in their rotation. That would be a huge indictment of the Sox.

The Sox have the deepest rotation in the division -- and a pretty good bullpen -- but they'll squander this opportunity because the position players (besides Konerko) all stink.

Every time the Sox get a RISP, the choke mechanism kicks in. Unless it's Konerko at the plate.

If the opposition allowed the Sox bases loaded every inning I could see the Sox walking away with no runs scored or only those the opposition pushed in via walks, hit batters and balks. If no other team has finished a 9 inning game with 27 runners left on base, I could see the Sox doing that.

Viva Medias B's
07-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Cleveland lost, Sox could have closed to 2 1/2 games...but no...more incompetence with men on base.

43rd time in 87 games they've scored three runs or less. Paulino may have been the worst pitcher the Sox saw this year and he still did whatever he wanted to.

Lip

We should have gotten to him and Rodrigo Lopez on Sunday.

soltrain21
If this didnt for sure show Ozzie that Dunn has no business in the three hole then please show him the door.

slavko
I'll take it that by the absence of Dump Pierre posts, you've all figured out who really is hurting the team. Are you ready for Pierre in CF and Viciedo in LF? Who goes down? Dunno. Lillibridge was exposed tonight and Rios is right where he's going to be offensively.

Pierre in CF. We've proven that outfield defense doesn't mean anything around here with Erstad, Macko and Swish. Why not Pierre?

JB98
07-05-2011, 11:46 PM

Lip

Paulino was 1-9 last season. His only win in 2010 came June 4 against the Cubs.

Obviously, tonight is his first win of 2011.

It's been a good long while since Mr. Paulino has beaten a legitimate MLB lineup.

WhiteSox5187
07-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Did anyone think TCQ was "dogging it" in right field tonight? I don't. I was at the game, and at least I didn't catch it. Callers brought it up to Ranger who promptly got really testy with them.

I don't think he was dogging it, I think it is more a case of Quentin being an atrocious right fielder. By the way, what the hell happened to that short and quick swing that Lillibridge had at the beginning of the season? It has gotten VERY long.

Also Quentin has looked absolutely lost at the plate again. Just a horrible approach at the plate tonight and for most of the season.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
2007, notwithstanding -- and due mostly to injuries -- this has to be the worst Sox offensive team since 1989.
This team's offense is definitely much worse than even the previous two seasons. This team is on pace to score a grand total of 654 runs this season! That's about 15-20% LESS runs than the past couple seasons! :o:

southsideirish71
07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Well Guillen is already tweeting after the game. He must listen to the post game show because he is telling Rongey he is doing a good job.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Not one remark about the great Jake Peavy as his ERA climbs to 4.83. Apparently, as long as you hoot and holler nobody cares how you pitch.

soltrain21
07-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Well Guillen is already tweeting after the game. He must listen to the post game show because he is telling Rongey he is doing a good job.

Of course he listens. Ozzie very much cares what people think of him. He always goes on dumb tirades to defend his actions.

Nelfox02
07-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Not one remark about the great Jake Peavy as his ERA climbs to 4.83. Apparently, as long as you hoot and holler nobody cares how you pitch.

Isnt he about due to go back on the DL?

guillensdisciple
07-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Well, we're 1-1 in these 19 games.

Tragg
07-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Fire 'em all. Or don't.
Agree, but I lean to the former.

Another fine performance by the "elite" pitcher we have as well.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Lopez and Paulino COMBINED might win four games this season. Both have handcuffed the Sox.

Incredible.

Lip

guillensdisciple
07-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Don't forget those pesky Twins my friend, don't forget them.

JB98
07-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Don't forget those pesky Twins my friend, don't forget them.

The Twins are 38-46. They are not pesky. They are horse****.

I've had it up to here with the Twins ass-kissing fest. If this regime cannot beat that sorry Minnesota outfit this season, they all should be fired.

It's a continuing embarrassment that the Sox cannot beat that team. Every team in baseball beats them, except the Sox.

GoSox2K3
07-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Why the hell can't this team get above break-even? Why do we struggle with RISP so badly? Why does this team routinely make scrubs look like Cy Young candidates? These trends are maddening!

I guess the pitcher with the lifetime 7-27 record made pitches when he had to, while the former Cy Young award winner did not.

Just another night in an underachieving, disappointing season.

I've been told by some WSI posters that the idea that the Sox do poorly against lousy pitchers is a myth. So, I guess we can add tonight's game to the list games that didn't happen.

Where is that poster that used to keep a running list of crappy pitchers that looked like Cy Young candidates vs. the White Sox?

tstrike2000
07-06-2011, 12:14 AM

Scherzer's ERA is really high despite being 9-4. If he lowers that in the second half, could be a good 1-2 punch for Detroit.

guillensdisciple
07-06-2011, 12:16 AM

I've had it up to here with the Twins ass-kissing fest. If this regime cannot beat that sorry Minnesota outfit this season, they all should be fired.

It's a continuing embarrassment that the Sox cannot beat that team. Every team in baseball beats them, except the Sox.

I agree with you 23232 percent, but we have been saying this for years now.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-06-2011, 12:27 AM

Correct,really correct,and absolutely correct.Tell it like it is JB.

HaroMaster87
07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
The reason this team continues to underachieve is all of the big money guys minus Konerko are WAY under career norms. Peavy, Dunn, Rios...thats too many.

Oh my god the Peavy/Rios thing looks BAD...and there are too many years left on their deals...we are soo screwed. I dont know why but I think Dunn will be fine but Rios is not a MLB player right now - hasnt been at all this year. Peavy looks to be out of whack...even when he pitches well, he doesnt dominate like he should with that contract. Those two are a great, big, steaming pile of yuck...

HaroMaster87
07-06-2011, 12:32 AM

I totally agree with this post...and you can pretty much guarantee we get swept...

HaroMaster87
07-06-2011, 12:41 AM

Thats actually why I came on here tonight...

I hope that idiot keeps his mouth shut now...he goes on a rant the other day about the team needing more intensity and he shows up today and pitches like this??? Keep your ****ing mouth shut buddy, unless you can back it up. That bull**** may fly in San Diego, but it doesnt fly in Chicago...

guillensdisciple
07-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Thats actually why I came on here tonight...

I hope that idiot keeps his mouth shut now...he goes on a rant the other day about the team needing more intensity and he shows up today and pitches like this??? Keep your ****ing mouth shut buddy, unless you can back it up. That bull**** may fly in San Diego, but it doesnt fly in Chicago...

But bro, he's a bulldog.

oh, and bro. he's a dirtbag and dirtbags win championships bro

captain54
07-06-2011, 12:50 AM

Lip

Not to worry.. The statisticians tell us that the Sox are about in the middle of the pack, no worse or no better than the rest of MLB offensively speaking. Those of us that rant and rave about the offense should just calm down, because it's really an illusion. The Sox offense is fine

johnnyg83
07-06-2011, 12:59 AM
cool wet grass ... heal and grow ... serenity now ... 2 of 3 ... Dunn can't slump all season ... Rios has had some good BP sessions ... placid country lake ... heal and grow

JermaineDye05
07-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Jake didn't do his job, but once again the most glaring problem was the offense.

Walkerball at its finest.

Got a bat that's just feasting in the minors, waiting for a chance.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2011, 01:24 AM
And so another blind squirrel finds an acorn, I guess.

TDog
07-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Sox lose another game to a meatball pitcher that everyone else has crushed. 13 hits and 3 runs this team must love being under .500!:angry:

The Sox crushed him, too. Paulino allowed nine hits, including a home run, and 12 baserunners in six innings, and according to Gameday, he was still in the upper 90s in the sixth. Unfortunately, he had no problem blowing away Dunn and Lillibridge with men on base on multiple occasions.

This game wasn't lost by the Sox offense. It was lost by Peavy. He gave up three runs in the second because he allowed a two-out triple after walking two and hitting one. After the Sox came back and tied it, he allowed a two-strike, two-out single to give back the lead.

The Sox came back to tie the game on two-out hits the second time though the order. As it turned out, Dunn's at bat in the fourth, with runners on second and third and two outs facing Paulino, was the same situation as Treanor faced with Peavy on the mound in the sixth. But with Treanor got a hit and Dunn struck out.

The Sox had other op portunites. They went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position, the two hits coming from Konerko and Quentin with two outs in the third. But the Royals failed to score a runner from third with less than two outs and ended up going 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position. The bullpen did what it needed to do again, but Peavy didn't do his job tonight.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2011, 01:37 AM
The Sox crushed him, too. Paulino allowed nine hits, including a home run, and 12 baserunners in six innings, and according to Gameday, he was still in the upper 90s in the sixth. Unfortunately, he had no problem blowing away Dunn and Lillibridge with men on base on multiple occasions.

This game wasn't lost by the Sox offense. It was lost by Peavy. He gave up three runs in the second because he allowed a two-out triple after walking two and hitting one. After the Sox came back and tied it, he allowed a two-strike, two-out single to give back the lead.

The Sox came back to tie the game on two-out hits the second time though the order. As it turned out, Dunn's at bat in the fourth, with runners on second and third and two outs facing Paulino, was the same situation as Treanor faced with Peavy on the mound in the sixth. But with Treanor got a hit and Dunn struck out.

The Sox had other op portunites. They went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position, the two hits coming from Konerko and Quentin with two outs in the third. But the Royals failed to score a runner from third with less than two outs and ended up going 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position. The bullpen did what it needed to do again, but Peavy didn't do his job tonight.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

I'm tired of pitchers being the scapegoat for this horrendous offense.

You can't have a game where you left 13 men on base and were 2-12 with RISP be solely on the pitcher.

Jake didn't do his job, yes. However, this offense needs to learn to hit the ****ing baseball with men on.

captain54
07-06-2011, 01:46 AM
This game wasn't lost by the Sox offense. It was lost by Peavy. He gave up three runs in the second because he allowed a two-out triple after walking two and hitting one. .

Either way, the Sox couldn't get it done offensively against a pitcher who is career 6-27. Our pitchers give up 4-5 runs a game and it seems like game over with this offense.

Foulke You
07-06-2011, 02:11 AM

You can't have a game where you left 13 men on base and were 2-12 with RISP be solely on the pitcher.

Jake didn't do his job, yes. However, this offense needs to learn to hit the ****ing baseball with men on.
Agreed. We are so spoiled by this pitching staff that when one of our starters has the audacity to have a below average start (but still eat up 6 innings and keep you in the ballgame) some of us are pointing the finger at the pitcher. Peavy wasn't great but he didn't get lit up like a Christmas tree either. The problem remains the offense. Lip's stat shows 50% of our games at 3 runs or less. This is a sobering number for team that was supposed to have a murderer's row of power in the middle. 13 runners stranded tonight against a terrible pitching staff. These stats all speak for themselves.

TDog
07-06-2011, 03:13 AM

The Sox had a .333 team batting average against Paulino tonight. They had an on-base percentage of .400 against him. When he came into the game, opponents were hitting .292 against him. He came into the game with an ERA of 4.29, and for tonight's game, he had an ERA of 4.50. Peavy came into the game with an ERA of 4.47, and for the night, he had an ERA of 7.50. And the Royals didn't have any more hits with men on base than the White Sox had.

Peavy lost this game. He put three runners on base in the second, gave up one run because of productive outs and two more on a two-out triple that would have scored the run anyway. He gave up a two-run, two-out single to the weakest hitter in the Royals lineup.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2011, 03:22 AM
The Sox had a .333 team batting average against Paulino tonight. They had an on-base percentage of .400 against him. When he came into the game, opponents were hitting .292 against him. He came into the game with an ERA of 4.29, and for tonight's game, he had an ERA of 4.50. Peavy came into the game with an ERA of 4.47, and for the night, he had an ERA of 7.50. And the Royals didn't have any more hits with men on base than the White Sox had.

Peavy lost this game. He put three runners on base in the second, gave up one run because of productive outs and two more on a two-out triple that would have scored the run anyway. He gave up a two-run, two-out single to the weakest hitter in the Royals lineup.

Sox did a fantastic job getting men on.

They did a horrible job after that.

Offense can't hit with risp.

captain54
07-06-2011, 03:25 AM
The Sox had a .333 team batting average against Paulino tonight. They had an on-base percentage of .400 against him. When he came into the game, opponents were hitting .292 against him. And the Royals didn't have any more hits with men on base than the White Sox had.

a team is awarded a "W" in baseball because they accumulate more runs than the other team, not hits.

Dan H
07-06-2011, 04:12 AM
I am glad I didn't see this game. All season long I've watched and waited for a key hit with men on base. And most times I wonder what their mindset is when they are at the plate in these situations. We are 90 games into the season and I just don't see this changing. This team is playing with us by being so close, but really they aren't close to winning anything.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2011, 06:35 AM
By the way, what the hell happened to that short and quick swing that Lillibridge had at the beginning of the season? It has gotten VERY long.

His work with Walker is paying off!

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Scherzer's ERA is really high despite being 9-4. If he lowers that in the second half, could be a good 1-2 punch for Detroit.

Of course he'll lower his ERA. He gets to pitch against the Sox.

Zakath
07-06-2011, 07:12 AM

The problem for us is when the hits come. Average doesn't tell you everything. Teams win games by stringing hits together. We only did that in one inning on Tuesday: the third, where we had 4. Otherwise, it was 1-2 hits an inning, usually separated by an out (or two). We only went down in order once (the first inning). KC went out in order three times (first, third, eighth), but made the most of mistakes in the second (two BB, HBP) and the sixth (WP).

"Keep the line moving" is not just a saying; it's a motto this team should live by.

He made mistakes, but we had 4 innings to make up 2 runs after he left. In those four innings, we had 4 hits (one in the 7th, one in the 8th, 2 in the 9th), a BB, 4 K's, Beckham popped up twice, and a whole host of lineouts.

It wasn't a great outing from Jake, but this team against that pitching staff (ERA 4.60) should have been able to muster 2 runs+ in 4 innings.

Zakath
07-06-2011, 07:15 AM

He was 0-4 with 4 K's.

His approach the whole night was atrocious. Fastball hitter who lays off fastballs only to get behind in the count and then has to swing at off-speed garbage out of the zone.

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2011, 07:33 AM
He was 0-4 with 4 K's.

His approach the whole night was atrocious. Fastball hitter who lays off fastballs only to get behind in the count and then has to swing at off-speed garbage out of the zone.

Another dumb hitter on a team loaded with dumb hitters.

Viva Medias B's
07-06-2011, 07:50 AM
One thing I wondered about Ozzie last night was why he had no one warming up when Peavy was knocking on the door of 100 pitches.

TomBradley72
07-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Another dumb hitter on a team loaded with dumb hitters.

I have to hold KW accountable for this- a roster built almost entirely around "free swinging hackers"- Rios, Quentin, Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn.

Plus overpaying for guys like Rios and Peavy- where we are now boxed in for a few years with bloated contracts- with Dunn now part of that mix.

The creative GM became a checkbook GM- overpaying for high priced veterans like Peavy, Rios, Teahen and Dunn- ~$50M/year for very little in return.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I have to hold KW accountable for this- a roster built almost entirely around "free swinging hackers"- Rios, Quentin, Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn.

Plus overpaying for guys like Rios and Peavy- where we are now boxed in for a few years with bloated contracts- with Dunn now part of that mix.

The creative GM became a checkbook GM- overpaying for high priced veterans like Peavy, Rios, Teahen and Dunn- ~$50M/year for very little in return.

This is why you're one of my favorite posters. You make sense with concise posts.

slavko
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Jake didn't do his job, but once again the most glaring problem was the offense.

Walkerball at its finest.

Got a bat that's just feasting in the minors, waiting for a chance.

I have a feeling either he or a current regular will be traded soon. Quentin? After an ASG appearance makes sense. For what? I hope it's not another right-hander for the bullpen and prospects. But it might be.

Solves the problem of who gets sent down.

Procol Harum
07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
To add to the annoyance of the routinely inept offense and the Sox' penchant for being utterly befuddled by bad pitchers (and that makes you wonder if the Sox' habits at the plate aren't particularly easy to execute a pitching game plan against, doesn't it?), is the fact that here as we are just beginning to round into the possibility of moving north of .500 we are heading into a long stretch of games against the teams in our own division. And we all know that's been a problem for several years. With Minnesota coming into town for 4 we really, REALLY need to get the game against KC this afternoon.

russ99
07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a feeling either he or a current regular will be traded soon. Quentin? After an ASG appearance makes sense. For what? I hope it's not another right-hander for the bullpen and prospects. But it might be.

Solves the problem of who gets sent down.

There was a rumor on that site about Quentin possibly being moved, and a player or two on the Braves pitching staff was the supposed targeted return.

Which makes sense with Jackson and Buehrle hitting FA this offseason, but only if the Sox are out of it.

I don't want to see another "white flag" deal this year when we seem to have the talent to win it. That talent performing up to normal levels is the issue...

Besides, if Rios can get it together by July 31st and the Sox are in sell mode, I'd move him out of town before anyone else.

asindc
07-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I've been told by some WSI posters that the idea that the Sox do poorly against lousy pitchers is a myth. So, I guess we can add tonight's game to the list games that didn't happen.

Where is that poster that used to keep a running list of crappy pitchers that looked like Cy Young candidates vs. the White Sox?

To be accurate, what you have been told is that the Sox are no worse against lousy pitchers than other contending teams. This game did happen, just as it sometimes happens against NYY, Boston, Texas, Detroit, Minny...

soltrain21
07-06-2011, 09:43 AM
There was a rumor on that site about Quentin possibly being moved, and a player or two on the Braves pitching staff was the supposed targeted return.

Which makes sense with Jackson and Buehrle hitting FA this offseason, but only if the Sox are out of it.

I don't want to see another "white flag" deal this year when we seem to have the talent to win it. That talent performing up to normal levels is the issue...

Besides, if Rios can get it together by July 31st and the Sox are in sell mode, I'd move him out of town before anyone else.

Yeah, right. What idiot team would take a bum who seems to be dogging it for that amount of money?

asindc
07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Not to worry.. The statisticians tell us that the Sox are about in the middle of the pack, no worse or no better than the rest of MLB offensively speaking. Those of us that rant and rave about the offense should just calm down, because it's really an illusion. The Sox offense is fine

No one has told you that and you know it. You were challenged yesterday for being inaccurate in your ranting. It's as if I said, "if only Pauly would come through in the clutch every once in awhile" as a rant against the offense, and then claimed others were ignoring how mediocre the offense has been this season when they call me on that statement. Being upset about the offense is no justification for making wildly inaccurate statements.

doublem23
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
A .500 team playing .500 baseball.

I don't get why people still let this team rile them up so much.

sox1970
07-06-2011, 10:12 AM
A .500 team playing .500 baseball.

I don't get why people still let this team rile them up so much.

Mediocre teams in the division.

$125 million payroll with expectations.

Dunn and Rios being garbage players this year.

Peavy isn't an ace and can't stay healthy, but he makes ace money.

There's a lot not to be happy about with this team, but they have 75 games left to hopefully go 45-30. If they don't, they probably will go home and we'll see if Kenny does the right thing and steps down as GM.

doublem23
07-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Mediocre teams in the division.

$125 million payroll with expectations.

Dunn and Rios being garbage players this year.

Peavy isn't an ace and can't stay healthy, but he makes ace money.

There's a lot not to be happy about with this team, but they have 75 games left to hopefully go 45-30. If they don't, they probably will go home and we'll see if Kenny does the right thing and steps down as GM.

I'm not happy the Sox are a .500-ish team that can't capitalize on how completely ****ty this division is, but I know who they are by now. They don't deserve my anger. I was happy Monday when they won a good game, I had a great time at the park. I'm not at all surprised they played poorly on Tuesday and lost to another pitcher who is absolute crap.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah, right. What idiot team would take a bum who seems to be dogging it for that amount of money?

Unfortunately the answer to that question is the White Sox.

tstrike2000
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Of course he'll lower his ERA. He gets to pitch against the Sox.

Plus seeing Dunn and Lillibridge a combined 0-9 with 7 strikeouts last night doesn't exactly dispel that possibility.

If that's any indication of what we're going to see tomorrow through Sunday against the Twins, WSI will be, in the words of Hawk Harrelson, a "Hum Dinger."

FielderJones
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm tired of hitters being the scapegoat for horrendous pitching.

You can't have a game where crappy hitters are being put on base without even getting a bat on the ball be solely on the offense.

Dunn, Lilli, and Beckham didn't do their jobs when we needed them to, yes. But the 'ace' of the staff has to throw strikes and stop nibbling around the plate.

You know why Humber is doing so well? Because he throws ****ing strikes.

kufram
07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
The trouble with expectations is that they lead to trouble... especially high expectations. It is of no use to EXPECT the team to win any game no matter what team they are playing or who is pitching. Any team or pitcher can beat any other team on any given night. I hoped we'd win last night, but I didn't expect to win. Since it was a night game I don't have to watch it. I will be watching tonight's (today's) game live so it's more fun for me if they win tonight (err, today).

What we need to do is win more games than we lose, which we have been doing for a while now. If we can win tonight then 2 out of 3 is ok against anybody. We have kept our head at water's level up until now but we need to win series over the coming weeks and not think that the season is lost after each loss.

I want to stay in the race. Of course I would rather we just win all of our games and be a frontrunner... but we are not in that position. I do accept that we are where we are and we have who we have. So my plan is to enjoy anything I can and hope for the best.

doublem23
07-06-2011, 11:07 AM

You can't have a game where crappy hitters are being put on base without even getting a bat on the ball be solely on the offense.

Dunn, Lilli, and Beckham didn't do their jobs when we needed them to, yes. But the 'ace' of the staff has to throw strikes and stop nibbling around the plate.

3 runs against Felipe Paulino, he of the career 5.48 ERA, is not "scapegoating," it's just bad offense.

07-06-2011, 11:07 AM

As far as the second inning is concerned, you're right. But in the 6th when Kansas City scored their two runs, they got both of them off of 3 garbage hits: a bloop and two seeing eye singles. Peavy induced weak contact and they found holes. Nothing you can do about that.

tstrike2000
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM

There's really no right or wrong answer. You're right, Peavy's been maddening for sure and didn't pitch a good game last night. However, it's also the second time in three games the offense was held in check by a **** pitcher. First, Rodrigo Lopez and last night, Felipe Paulino, who has a career 5.48 ERA and struck out 9 guys in 6 innings.

kittle42
07-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm not happy the Sox are a .500-ish team that can't capitalize on how completely ****ty this division is, but I know who they are by now.

Right. There is little reason to think they can "snap out of it" or "right the ship." This is the same team it has been since day 1 (or, really, day 2). I was at the game last night and didn't get upset at all. Even after Lillibridge and/or Dunn's Ks. Hard to get mad when you know what the ending is already.

hawkjt
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
What gets to me is that even a ''garbage'' pitcher like Paulino does throw 96mph with some good breaking stuff. Pitching is pretty insane in this league this year,imo. This guy must have had a good nite,but he seemed fairly tough and the Sox still got 9 hits off of him.

Jollyroger2
07-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Right. There is little reason to think they can "snap out of it" or "right the ship." This is the same team it has been since day 1 (or, really, day 2). I was at the game last night and didn't get upset at all. Even after Lillibridge and/or Dunn's Ks. Hard to get mad when you know what the ending is already.

Yep. Agree completely. This organization, from the ownership, management, etc to us in the fan base have accepted and settled for mediocrity and underachievement.

kufram
07-06-2011, 01:21 PM
As long as we stay in the race then anything can happen. Like PK said, every team has a run in it during a season, a period where things fall into place for a while and you win games. Teams worse than us do it and I see no reason why we can't.

I'm not saying it will happen but I think we can all agree that it certainly hasn't happened yet. I don't accept that this is as good as this offense can be or will be. If I'm wrong then so what? We need to win the series tonight and get at least a split from Minn.

Win tonight is my only goal right now.

kittle42
07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
What gets to me is that even a ''garbage'' pitcher like Paulino does throw 96mph with some good breaking stuff. Pitching is pretty insane in this league this year,imo. This guy must have had a good nite,but he seemed fairly tough and the Sox still got 9 hits off of him.

He didn't have a good night. He gave up a ton of hits, walked guys, and threw like 100 pitches by the 6th. He was on the ropes and was allowed to stay there by poor Sox execution.

captain54
07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
No one has told you that and you know it. You were challenged yesterday for being inaccurate in your ranting. It's as if I said, "if only Pauly would come through in the clutch every once in awhile" as a rant against the offense, and then claimed others were ignoring how mediocre the offense has been this season when they call me on that statement. Being upset about the offense is no justification for making wildly inaccurate statements.

Very bad analogy with the Pauly thing.

If you think I made wildly inaccurate statements, so be it. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to beat a dead horse and rehash the whole thing. But for the record, I said that had the Sox been able to score the guy from third with less than two at a slightly better percentage, it may have made the difference in a number of Wins vs Losses, thus translating to a better division standing at this point in the season.

I'm not upset, or angry, or ranting or pissed or anything of the sort. My life goes on rather smoothly regardless of whether the Sox offense sucks or it doesn't. And I don't believe in my heart that the players or the organization aren't trying to win. If you or anyone else choose to continue to reach for that silver lining, go for it.

The reality is, as Sox fans we've been following some pretty mediocre baseball overall since 05'. Given the fact that there are resources for one of the higher payrolls in MLB, and we're in a major market, there's no excuse for the Sox not being one of the elite teams in MLB, a team that strikes fear in the hearts of the opposition. I hardly think thats the case at this point.

tstrike2000
07-06-2011, 01:56 PM
He didn't have a good night. He gave up a ton of hits, walked guys, and threw like 100 pitches by the 6th. He was on the ropes and was allowed to stay there by poor Sox execution.

Exactly. Paulino could be like a million guys with 20-win stuff, but 10-win control. Reminded me a little of how Edwin Jackson can be. Jackson has a nice live fastball, filthy breaking stuff but falls behind in counts and hangs pitches leading to throwing a lot of pitches early.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
As long as we stay in the race then anything can happen. Like PK said, every team has a run in it during a season, a period where things fall into place for a while and you win games. Teams worse than us do it and I see no reason why we can't.

I'm not saying it will happen but I think we can all agree that it certainly hasn't happened yet. I don't accept that this is as good as this offense can be or will be. If I'm wrong then so what? We need to win the series tonight and get at least a split from Minn.

Win tonight is my only goal right now.

That's the kind of sentiment that's going to leave this team mediocre.

A. Cavatica
07-06-2011, 10:28 PM
"free swinging hackers"- Rios, Quentin, Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn

Quentin is not a free-swinging hacker, he walks a ton and his strikeouts are in proportion to his power. And Rios and Beckham were not always free-swinging hackers.

A. Cavatica
07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
3 runs against Felipe Paulino, he of the career 5.48 ERA, is not "scapegoating," it's just bad offense.

And Bruce ****ing Chen.