PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the All-Star Game...(long)

HootieMcBoob
07-10-2002, 01:04 PM
I went to both the Home Run Derby, the FanFest, and the All-Star "Game". Here's my story, along with more options of how they could have ended the game (that were mentioned on the radio)...

Monday: Home Run Derby

Well first of all, on Monday's Home Run Derby, we got seats in the right field bleachers. As we climbed the stairs to that level, I ran into Tony Gwynn! I asked for an autograph, but he had suitcases in hand and needed to be on the air or something. In batting practice, I caught a Robin Ventura home run on the fly.

Our seats were in the last row of the 200 level, meaning we were up higher from the other seats, behind a rail, like where the handicapped seating is. The deck above us stuck out so we were kind of underneath it. My dad made the comment how it was almost impossible for a HR ball to land where we were sitting.

I called home and told my mom, "Hey, we're sitting in RF, I'm wearing a yellow shirt, look for me when Giambi, Berkman, and Bonds are up."

But ALAS I caught Giambi's 6th homer in the championship round (they showed homers #5 & 7 on SportsCenter replay). Everyone around me gave me high-fives and I got like 4 calls on the cell phone, "We saw you on TV! We saw you on TV!"

Tuesday: FanFest

Tuesday we got up early for FanFest in downtown Milwaukee. Cal and Billy Ripken were there teaching how to turn a double play. They had batting cages, every baseball video game, trivia booths, a guy demonstrating how a baseball was made, and some players were signing (Andre Dawson was there, and Bonds was there earlier). They also had stuff like SoxFest (old memorabilia, baseball cards, etc.

Tuesday: All-Star "Game"

Then we headed over to the park. Our seats were not actually behind the dugout, they were behind the camera well, which was right next to the dugout. I got a ton of sweet pictures and video of players walking in and out, and doing warm-ups. The pre-game ceremonies were awesome, with Aaron, Mays, Jackie Robinson's son. Then they had the 30 greatest moments, which was really well done too. It ended with 4 jets flying over the stadium.

The game was incredible...back and forth scoring, some great pitching, but mostly great hitting. Bonds's homer, Torri Hunter's catch, Konerko with a huge night. It was looking to be one of the best All-Star games ever played.

But no. Bud Selig and Major League Baseball had to screw things up AGAIN. Fans were chanting, "Let them play! Let them play!" If the pitchers couldn't pitch anymore, they had SO MANY other options other than having it END IN A TIE! Who wants to see that??

Callers were fuming mad on the radio. They suggested that position players pitch, that a batting practice coach pitch, or that each team puts a runner on 2nd to start the inning, and they see if they can score (softball leagues do this).

If they changed the rules, who would have cared?? Would the umpire say no to any of this? Of course not. People payed a lot of money to see this game and they payed to see the WHOLE GAME.

Plus, they just named the All-Star MVP trophy after Ted Williams, and THEY DIDN'T EVEN GIVE IT OUT!!! WTH?! Ted would NOT have wanted it this way.

Baseball and Selig are a joke

Baseball is right in the middle of strike negotiations, steroids talk, etc. - the LAST thing they needed was to screw things up like this. Bud Selig, you are a complete MORON, are you trying to ruin baseball? I was GLAD to see you boo'ed out of you own stadium. By the way, get a haircut - that's the stupidest looking thing I've ever seen on top of someone's head.

After the game, fans were so mad, they were cussing and threatening to kill Bud Selig. They were chanting "Refund! Refund!" and some planned to write nasty complaint letters to Bud. The worst part of it all was when fans started throwing debris on the field. Tony Gwynn said it well on ESPN, "It just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth."

There are so many things they need to fix in this sport. It needs to be like the NFL, where one year a team could be 4-12, and the next year be in the playoffs. Aren't you sick of the same teams winning year after year? They need a salary cap, revenue sharing, or something.

Alright, thanks for reading my book of a post.
- Hootie

KruseControl04
07-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Wow, that was long. I agree. Having the game end in a tie was stupid. But what else do you expect from major league baseball? And again, I agree that not naming an MVP was pretty stupid too. There are indeed a lot of things that need to be changed in major league baseball.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 04:15 PM
Say what you want, but risking the health of pitchers for an EXHIBITION GAME is pretty stupid, too.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If that were Mark Buehrle out there, I'd be fuming mad if they let him go 4-5 innings just for the All-Star Game.

HootieMcBoob
07-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Uh, didn't you even read what I said??

I didn't say burn the pitchers' arms out...

What I said was, "If the pitchers couldn't pitch anymore, they had SO MANY other options other than having it END IN A TIE! Who wants to see that??"

With all that MLB is going through, this was the WORST possible option. Selig blew it. Baseball is going in the toilet for sure.

It's the fans' game and a tie is definitely NOT what the wanted or paid to see!!!
Wouldn't it have been awesome if Nomar or Jose Hernandez or someone went out there and served up a couple homers??! The place would have gone crazy!!

But no - baseball is retarded and frickin Bud has half a brain.

Or even a spur-of-the-moment decision to change the rules would have been great to see. Allow re-entry of players, let a BP pitcher pitch, let WARREN SPAHN finish the game for godssakes!! (lol...if you didn't see it, he threw out the 1st pitch and it went about 4 feet)

It's an exhibition game and it's for FUN and for the FANS and NO ONE... NO ONE wanted to see it end like THAT. It just makes me sick.

KempersRS
07-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

What I said was, "If the pitchers couldn't pitch anymore, they had SO MANY other options other than having it END IN A TIE! Who wants to see that??"

With all that MLB is going through, this was the WORST possible option. Selig blew it. Baseball is going in the toilet for sure.

It's the fans' game and a tie is definitely NOT what the wanted or paid to see!!!
Wouldn't it have been awesome if Nomar or Jose Hernandez or someone went out there and served up a couple homers??! The place would have gone crazy!!

Or even a spur-of-the-moment decision to change the rules would have been great to see. Allow re-entry of players, let a BP pitcher pitch, let WARREN SPAHN finish the game for godssakes!! (lol...if you didn't see it, he threw out the 1st pitch and it went about 4 feet)

It's an exhibition game and it's for FUN and for the FANS and NO ONE... NO ONE wanted to see it end like THAT. It just makes me sick.

You are just risking injury sending position players out to pitch, it's a stupid idea. Remember Jose Canseco? Yeah...

Spiff
07-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

You are just risking injury sending position players out to pitch, it's a stupid idea. Remember Jose Canseco? Yeah...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=642

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 04:48 PM

Or even a spur-of-the-moment decision to change the rules would have been great to see. Allow re-entry of players, let a BP pitcher pitch, let WARREN SPAHN finish the game for godssakes!!

Last night I understood while they ended in a tie, yet wanted to see them do something. However, after sleeping on it, I have to say that I don't care.

Piss on those Milwaukee fans. Bud Selig didn't show up at the homes of these idiots with a gun and force them to pay big dollars for the tickets.

Remember when Jose Canseco pitched? He blew out his arm, that was full of excitement! What? BP pitcher? I'm not even going to waste my time with that kind of stupidity.

What makes me sick is the fans throwing **** on the field. They got two more innings then they paid for and got to see everyone get in the game.

I don't give a damn about what they wanted to see. It was a hell of a game either way, and if the fans can't handle a tie, if they can't handle dealing with reality, then stop watching baseball.

KempersRS
07-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Last night I understood while they ended in a tie, yet wanted to see them do something. However, after sleeping on it, I have to say that I don't care.

Piss on those Milwaukee fans. Bud Selig didn't show up at the homes of these idiots with a gun and force them to pay big dollars for the tickets.

Remember when Jose Canseco pitched? He blew out his arm, that was full of excitement! What? BP pitcher? I'm not even going to waste my time with that kind of stupidity.

What makes me sick is the fans throwing **** on the field. They got two more innings then they paid for and got to see everyone get in the game.

I don't give a damn about what they wanted to see. It was a hell of a game either way, and if the fans can't handle a tie, if they can't handle dealing with reality, then stop watching baseball.

Do I even need to say it? Ah what the hell...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=642

HootieMcBoob
07-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Risking injury my butt. They don't have to throw full speed. These are professional athletes. They can handle throwing a baseball, whether it's in the middle of the diamond or at shortstop.

Just more bad, lame excuses.

You would feel more strongly about the situation if you were there in person. One guy was cussing and just completely pissed off and was like, "I drove all the way from Phoenix for this, and then that mother f***er Bud Selig decides to piss on everyone's fun!!"

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 05:09 PM

You would feel more strongly about the situation if you were there in person. One guy was cussing and just completely pissed off and was like, "I drove all the way from Phoenix for this, and then that mother f***er Bud Selig decides to piss on everyone's fun!!"

No, it's just stupid fans who don't understand what's going on.

Sure, if I was there, I'd be upset. However, once you think about the situation it's easy to understand.

What? Piss on everyone's fun? So because the game ended in a tie, Hunters' catch didn't happen? Bonds blasting that homer didn't happen? Schilling throwing smoke past A-Rod didn't happen?

No, fans just need to stop being morons.

Maggliosfan09
07-10-2002, 05:16 PM
ok they didn't have 2 murder our anthem... but jerry, baseball doesn't end in ties like soccer does, it goes in extra innings to see who wins. that's part of going 2 a game if it's tied see who can break the tie. Zito could have pitched again 1 out was all he pitched.

HootieMcBoob
07-10-2002, 05:25 PM
maggliosfan, you beat me to it...

Baseball does NOT end in a tie. Someone made a sign that said, "This isn't Hockey or Soccer!"

Of course the game had great moments...Hunter/Bonds/Konerko...but it WILL NOT BE REMEMBERED FOR THIS!! It will not be remembered as a back-and-forth scoring game with great hitting and defense and awesome pre-game ceremonies.

It's all overshadowed by a poor decision to let it end in a tie. Fans are the ones who make baseball work. Fans pay players salaries. Fans are already annoyed w/ strike talk and steroid talk - this decision won't make fans like MLB more - it'll push them away from it.

Cut the fans slack and stop calling them morons, because they deserved to see a completed game, with a winning team.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Maggliosfan09
ok they didn't have 2 murder our anthem... but jerry, baseball doesn't end in ties like soccer does, it goes in extra innings to see who wins. that's part of going 2 a game if it's tied see who can break the tie. Zito could have pitched again 1 out was all he pitched.

He pitched on Sunday for the love of god!

Regular season and playoff games don't end in ties. Spring training games and this one did. Let it go, people.

HootieMcBoob
07-10-2002, 05:39 PM
This is known as the biggest event of the summer. It's not "just another" exhibition game. It was broadcasted all over the WORLD! Don't compare it to a spring training game! Duh!

Fans were let down, we have a right to complain. We are right when we complain, b/c baseball blew it.

Cheryl
07-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Okay, again, I didn't pay attention last night and didn't know about this until this morning, but I'm surprised at the vehemence I'm hearing/reading from people about this. I don't know how much of it is about it ending in a tie and how much it's about how badly Selig et al handled it. Had it been announced at the beginning of the inning it would be the last inning, had they had a rule in place saying the game would only go 9 innings, I don't think people would be as angry. I also think if everything else wasn't going on (contraction talk, strike/lockout talk, steriod talk) people wouldn't be as angry.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Okay, again, I didn't pay attention last night and didn't know about this until this morning, but I'm surprised at the vehemence I'm hearing/reading from people about this. I don't know how much of it is about it ending in a tie and how much it's about how badly Selig et al handled it. Had it been announced at the beginning of the inning it would be the last inning, had they had a rule in place saying the game would only go 9 innings, I don't think people would be as angry. I also think if everything else wasn't going on (contraction talk, strike/lockout talk, steriod talk) people wouldn't be as angry.

That's a good point, with all this labor crap going on people are looking for any reason to jump on Selig.

Announcing it when they did was a problem, calling the game off wasn't a problem.

34rancher
07-10-2002, 05:48 PM
I can live with a tie more than I can in not handing out an MVP. Hell, give an MVP to each league, but please Ted deserved better than to have an award named after him, and then not be given to anyone. That is classless. It is like if I could not decide what to eat, so I ate nothing, which leaves me with an empty feeling.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 05:49 PM
This is known as the biggest event of the summer. It's not "just another" exhibition game. It was broadcasted all over the WORLD! Don't compare it to a spring training game! Duh!

Fans were let down, we have a right to complain. We are right when we complain, b/c baseball blew it.

Let down my ass! The fans payed to see the games best stars showcase their talent and that's what they got.

Nobody gives a damn about who wins. This isn't the 60's or the 70's anymore.

pudge
07-10-2002, 05:57 PM

Let down my ass! The fans payed to see the games best stars showcase their talent and that's what they got.

Your narrow-minded thinking is really lame. This is the kind of attitude that allows baseball to stomp all over everyone. I think the rebellion of the fans in Milwaukee was historic and will always be remembered, much more than anything that happened on the field itself. Now if they had done something creative and ended the game in an interesting fashion, that would have been the historic story.

kermittheefrog
07-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Risking injury my butt. They don't have to throw full speed. These are professional athletes. They can handle throwing a baseball, whether it's in the middle of the diamond or at shortstop.

Totally dude I agree. It would have been much better if the pitchers played out the rest of the game halfassed and completely ruined the idea of All-Stars competing. That would have been better than a tie.

Spiff
07-10-2002, 06:39 PM

Well I agree with the first part. I still think they want to win though.

Originally posted by pudge
I think the rebellion of the fans in Milwaukee was historic and will always be remembered

Will be forgotten in a week.

HootieMcBoob
07-10-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Your narrow-minded thinking is really lame. This is the kind of attitude that allows baseball to stomp all over everyone. I think the rebellion of the fans in Milwaukee was historic and will always be remembered, much more than anything that happened on the field itself. Now if they had done something creative and ended the game in an interesting fashion, that would have been the historic story.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.

Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Totally dude I agree. It would have been much better if the pitchers played out the rest of the game halfassed and completely ruined the idea of All-Stars competing. That would have been better than a tie.

You must have misread this - I was talking about position players pitching, not Garcia/Padilla burning their arms out.

Foulke You
07-10-2002, 08:35 PM
I think the bottom line was that this was a lose/lose scenario. Bud Selig, Torre, and Brenly have valid points for ending it when they did and so do the fans who shelled out the dough and supported the game who wanted to see a real ending. The no-MVP thing blew my mind though.

One thing that was pointed out was that so many starters backed out for various reasons (Johnson, Pedro, etc.) and were replaced with 1 inning closers (Urbina, Smoltz etc.) I think they wouldn't have had this problem if they had a couple extra starters to go to down the stretch.

Maggliosfan09
07-10-2002, 11:26 PM
i can understand the reason they stopped the game after 11. It would be bad to tire out the pitchers b/c some are starting a game tomorrow or soon. But what i don't understand is the no MVP thing. Ted Williams would not have wanted it to be this way. There should have been a co mvp or something someone might have already said this. Miller/Konerko Bonds/Konerko or something one from each league b/c of tie. sorry if someone already said this

doublem23
07-10-2002, 11:35 PM

Sorry, Hootie. I meant that to be addressed to Kruse, but I was short on time and I didn't feel like wasting valuable seconds hitting back and then quote.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 11:49 PM
LOOK, EVERYONE...

The All-Star Game is....

AN EXHIBITION GAME!

It is NEVER worth doing anything that would risk the health of a player (outside of playing the game, of course) for a pointless, stupid game that doesn't mean jack ****.

I've probably said it a million times, and no one's responded to me yet (well, I haven't read all the forums, so maybe someone has), but if Mark Buehrle were out there, I would be incredibly pissed off if he was forced to throw like 6 or 7 innings just to extent "the All-Star Game," or if he had been forced to go out there again for another 2 innings (after an hour and half or so sitting) just because some fans wanted to see someone win.

REAL baseball starts tomorrow.

HootieMcBoob
07-11-2002, 04:30 AM
Wow. You just don't listen do you.

I never suggested burning a pitcher's arm out. Not once. Did you read what I wrote, or did you just think I said something else and felt like arguing?

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 05:11 AM
Wow. You just don't listen do you.

I never suggested burning a pitcher's arm out. Not once. Did you read what I wrote, or did you just think I said something else and felt like arguing? what happens if someone was out there, who is vital to your team, get hurt playing in an extra inning game of the all-star game, for this case lets say it was the 14 inning. how would you feel about that. i would be angry with the knowledge that the game could've been stopped earlier.

ISUSoxfan
07-11-2002, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the write up on the game Hootie. I am proud of all the fans who protested without throwing anything on the field. They had every right to be mad. I was mad in my livingroom. Torre and Brenly ruined the game by running out of pitchers. If a pitcher or two hadn't gotten in, fans could except that, even Burly. And they should have kept a hitter out too. If Sweeney hadn't replaced Konerko, he could have batted for Garcia with a man on second in the 11th, then the pitcher who had been saved could come in. Once the managers ran out of pitchers, it was on them to take the heat from the Phillies and Mariners. Garcia and Padilla weren't going to get hurt by pitching up to 5 more innings. They are professional athletes. What they would have to do is miss a start. That is an honorable thing to do for their league, and it should be up to the All-Star managers who made the mistake to explain it to the fans of their teams.

The baseball All-Star game was the only All-Star game that was not just an exhibition, but now it is the biggest joke of them all thanks to Torre, Brenly, and Selig. Next year they should just play Rock and Jock softball at Comiskey.

steff
07-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
LOOK, EVERYONE...

The All-Star Game is....

AN EXHIBITION GAME!

It is NEVER worth doing anything that would risk the health of a player (outside of playing the game, of course) for a pointless, stupid game that doesn't mean jack ****.

I've probably said it a million times, and no one's responded to me yet (well, I haven't read all the forums, so maybe someone has), but if Mark Buehrle were out there, I would be incredibly pissed off if he was forced to throw like 6 or 7 innings just to extent "the All-Star Game," or if he had been forced to go out there again for another 2 innings (after an hour and half or so sitting) just because some fans wanted to see someone win.

REAL baseball starts tomorrow.

OK.. fine. Then you let it go. For others, they want to talk about it. This and the "All Star Game Bitching" thread have been truly entertaining the past 2 days. It's interesting (to me) to hear others thoughts and opinions. Throw in there a couple guys with their boxers in a wad and people start yelling and using 80 pt font. Good grief.. if you don't like the conversation, and you don't want to hear about it anymore.. then stay out of the thread. Just my opinion...

Chisox353014
07-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I think you're on the right track here. What happened with the fans on Tuesday was the culmination of a lot of frustration and disgust towards MLB and Bud Selig IMO (plus they handled the "we're ending the game" announcement about as poorly as humanly possible). And I'm glad it happened frankly. Nothing will change unless the fans take some kind of stand and say they won't put up with it anymore. I'm also surprised at how clueless Torre, Brenly, Selig and everyone else involved was. They must really have their heads up their rear ends if they don't realize how much fan resentment is there bubbling just below the surface. All 3 of them seem genuinely puzzled by the intensity of the fans' reaction.

For what it's worth, I think they should have finished the game with position players pitching. It's not a great solution, but it does happen once in a while in a real game.

voodoochile
07-11-2002, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the write up on the game and the other events. Sounds like you had a blast, and you even caught some home runs. How coold is that?

I's sure it must have been frustrating to have it end that way, hopefully they will actually make some plans to prevent it in the future...

Iwritecode
07-11-2002, 10:44 AM
I'll try to hit all the points here.

1. No MVP was classless. I agree.

2. A position player pitching would have almost worked. But would you really want to see a pitcher playing first base? Or any base for that matter? Even if they bent the rules and allowed another position player back on the field, that pretty much automatically gives the other team the advantage by facing a non-pitcher. So much for playing to win right?

3. As I said in another thread, this is mostly the fault of Bob and Joe. Bud was just in the unfortunate position of having to bail them out. As far as the announcement goes, they could have handled that better too but again, how is that Bud's fault? He made the right decision in the time he had. The only thing to do now is plan for the future so it doesn't happen again.

steff
07-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I'll try to hit all the points here.

3. As I said in another thread, this is mostly the fault of Bob and Joe. Bud was just in the unfortunate position of having to bail them out. As far as the announcement goes, they could have handled that better too but again, how is that Bud's fault? He made the right decision in the time he had. The only thing to do now is plan for the future so it doesn't happen again.

I agree it's the manager's fault. They knew. Heck.. most of the park knew something was going to be a miss as soon as the 10th ended in a tie. IMO, they should not have had the on field meeting. It was obvious that Bud was freaking about what to do. Someone posted the pic of him with his hands up in the air.. personally I didn't see it as an "i'm an idiot" pose.. but a "*** do I tell all these people" look. In my opinion, I don't think they should have made any announcement. The 11th should have ended, everyone gathered on the mound where Bud, Bob, and Joe would have made the announcement and given an explination. Most folks seemed pissed at the way they were told. Heck, I admit I said "boo". I was disappointed. But what can they do? We are guaranteed that it wont happen again, though. Thank God!

BTW, did anyone see the replay of the HR Derby last night? I had heard about Shilling making the "baseball's been berry berry good to me" comment but didn't see it until last night. Looked like the 20 hairs Berman has left were going to jump off his head. Even better was Shilling covering his mouth and laughing. Classic. :D:

voodoochile
07-11-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

BTW, did anyone see the replay of the HR Derby last night? I had heard about Shilling making the "baseball's been berry berry good to me" comment but didn't see it until last night. Looked like the 20 hairs Berman has left were going to jump off his head. Even better was Shilling covering his mouth and laughing. Classic. :D:

It is nice to know that even the other players view ShamME as a clown...

Iwritecode
07-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It is nice to know that even the other players view ShamME as a clown...

It seems like Curt has a pretty good sense of humor. During the ESPY's last night he was on the stage accepting the award for best game (game 7 of the 2001 WS). He said something about how he was glad it didn't end in a tie. :D:

whitesoxwilkes
07-11-2002, 01:34 PM
I knew Schilling when he was playing for the O's AAA team in Rochester, NY and even then (12 yrs ago) he was an absolute riot. Very witty and baseball-savvy. He was about 25 lbs lighter then too.

HootieMcBoob
07-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Thanks for the write up on the game and the other events. Sounds like you had a blast, and you even caught some home runs. How coold is that?

I's sure it must have been frustrating to have it end that way, hopefully they will actually make some plans to prevent it in the future...

Yea it was really fun to catch that home run derby ball. I taped the replay of the derby and I am showing it off to all my friends!! I was on TV 3 times...

I can try and get a picture of me catching the ball on TV and I'll post it on here later.

Yea - at least Selig vowed a tie would never happen again. So at least one good thing came out of it.

And about the "Baseball bean biddy biddy goot to me" quote, I thought Piazza said it, but I could be wrong. It was funny as hell nonetheless...

steff
07-12-2002, 08:02 AM

And about the "Baseball bean biddy biddy goot to me" quote, I thought Piazza said it, but I could be wrong. It was funny as hell nonetheless...

It was Shilling and it was beyond funny. They had him on for a split second and you saw him laughing and covering his mouth. It was great! Actually.. Berman putting his finger to his mouth motioning to Shilling to "hush" was pretty damn funny, too.