PDA

View Full Version : Why Manuel's Possible Firing May Be Bad

RKMeibalane
07-10-2002, 11:17 AM
A number of people here have been calling for Jerry Manuel's head since the middle of May. I was thinking about this the other day, and I have reached the following, unsettling conclusion:

Manuel's departure may not be a good thing, not right now anyway.

If Manuel goes, I doubt the Sox will be able to find anyone to replace him from outside the organization. That means it is entirely possible that Kenny Williams or even Nardi would manage for the remainder of the season. Scary, isn't it?

Spiff
07-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
A number of people here have been calling for Jerry Manuel's head since the middle of May. I was thinking about this the other day, and I have reached the following, unsettling conclusion:

If Manuel goes, I doubt the Sox will be able to find anyone to replace from outside the organization. That means it is entirely possible that Kenny Williams or even Nardi would manage for the remainder of the season. Scary, isn't it?

I highly doubt that. It would prolly be Nossek.

Daver
07-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

If Manuel goes, I doubt the Sox will be able to find anyone to replace him from outside the organization. That means it is entirely possible that Kenny Williams or even Nardi would manage for the remainder of the season. Scary, isn't it?

Nick Leyya would most likely get named interim manager,but JM isn't going anywhere.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by daver
Nick Leyya would most likely get named interim manager,but JM isn't going anywhere.

Correct.

Speaking of Nick, why was he moved down in the system? I know he was the manager of the Knights, and now he's not. Does he have some heat with Williams?

Daver
07-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Correct.

Speaking of Nick, why was he moved down in the system? I know he was the manager of the Knights, and now he's not. Does he have some heat with Williams?

No he was moved to Winston Salem to better use his ability to develop players,a talent that was not being used to its fullest in Charlotte.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 12:01 PM
No he was moved to Winston Salem to better use his ability to develop players,a talent that was not being used to its fullest in Charlotte.

Ok, good.

raul12
07-10-2002, 12:49 PM

hey, isn't JM good at that, supposedly? how about we move him to rookie ball?

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Various sources such as The Score and ESPN Radio 1000 have clearly stated that KW has no intentions on firing JM, so I don't think we have anything to worry about regarding this matter. Personally I don't think KW has the balls to fire anybody.

Heather the Redbird

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 03:12 PM

No he was moved to Winston Salem to better use his ability to develop players,a talent that was not being used to its fullest in Charlotte. then why not promote him and have him replace nardi?

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
then why not promote him and have him replace nardi?

I don't think Nick is a pitching coach so that wouldn't make sense.

Daver
07-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
then why not promote him and have him replace nardi?

If anyone were to be promoted to replace Nardi it would be Kirk Champion,director of minor league pitching.

RKMeibalane
07-10-2002, 03:18 PM

I don't think Nick is a pitching coach so that wouldn't make sense.

Nardi isn't a pitching coach either. :D:

Chisoxfn
07-10-2002, 05:10 PM
The Sox would definately do similar to what the cubs would do and that would be to hire Nick Levya. I'd also go out on a limb and say that if JM goes so would Nardi and Champion would most likely replace him temporarily.

Still don't look for JM to go anywhere. KW doesn't seem like a guy that will fire JM right away cause I think he knows that a lot of the problems are his and it also has to do with his personel. You can't win when you have 2 pitchers in Ritchie and Glover that put us in a horrible position to win(Glover is getting better but he doesn't have the stamina while Ritchie has been the worse pitcher in the bigs) plus in Wright you have a guy that is either horrible or great so 3 out of 5 times you are looking at a great possibility at a loss.

Foulke You
07-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Spiff

I highly doubt that. It would prolly be Nossek.

Actually, I've read an interview with Nossek and he said he has no desire whatsoever to manage. He enjoys being bench coach and he says he couldn't handle the stress and the media.

Daver
07-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Actually, I've read an interview with Nossek and he said he has no desire whatsoever to manage. He enjoys being bench coach and he says he couldn't handle the stress and the media.

You are correct,and he has also been with the Sox through three managers.

wassagstdu
07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Jerry Manuel is a class act and a fine manager, the best the Sox have had since Torborg. and maybe since Paul Richards, in my humble opinion. I don't understand why so many Sox fans demand human sacrifice. The long term strategy looks to me like a good one, given the payroll limitations the Sox have (because so many fans would rather pout than support the team). Why not pull for the team and cheer when they play well and share in their eventual success, rather than whining and moaning about every mistake and every loss? This is just my reaction to the impression I have got scanning this board in the last few days.

bc2k
07-11-2002, 01:52 AM
If Jerry Manuel gets fired his staff is going with him. There is no way Ken Williams would keep nardi.

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 05:21 AM

I don't think Nick is a pitching coach so that wouldn't make sense. i figure that he not a pit coach, but he still must be better than nardi.