PDA

View Full Version : Official Back below .500 7/3/11 postgame thread

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 04:47 PM
:angry:

guillensdisciple
Said from the beginning that this week will be my indicator.

Lets see.

Soxfest
2 runs in 2 days at Wrigley bad bad Ju Ju.:angry:

kittle42
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Looked like a lot of our games this season.

34rancher
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
2 runs in 2 days on runners involving 2 wild pitches on 2 days with Dunn hitting 3rd with 8 outs. Yup.

soltrain21
07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
2 runs in 2 days on runners involving 2 wild pitches on 2 days with Dunn hitting 3rd with 8 outs. Yup.

Adam Dunn's fault? Okay.

PeteWard
How hard is it to watch these guys, day after day?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
It's ok, guys, this Rodrigo Lopez is definitely a Cy Young candidate, judging by the way he pitched today.

Blueprint1
Everyone knows the hitting is an issue. If we hit we will win the division easily. Unfortunately, I don't think we are proactive enough to make that change. I may well cost us the playoffs. I feel bad for our pitchers. Another quality start down the drain.

34rancher
07-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Adam Dunn's fault? Okay.

Not entirely, I blame Ozzie for him hitting 3rd.

JermaineDye05
Juan Pierre didn't get a hit to spite me

hi im skot
How hard is it to watch these guys, day after day?

They're fun to watch when they're winning. When they lose, everyone is ready to off themselves.

PeteWard
07-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Adam Dunn's fault? Okay.

Batting him third makes no sense on any level.

Blueprint1

It's not just Adam Dunn it's the entire teams approach at the plate. I blame Greg Walker.

VMSNS
We just gotta tip our caps to Rodrigo "Cy" Lopez.

Nothing new to see here, folks. The Sox are baffled by another garbage pitcher, and our offense continues to be one giant god-awful ****ty mess.

That .500 record felt great while it lasted.

Tragg
Adam Dunn's fault? Okay.

It's not his fault, but he's one of the worst hitters on this team re production, so hitting him third is just clowning, something we get a lot of.
And honestly, if Oz could have "found at bats for Thome" we wouldn't have this contract. (or if the GM had told him to find him those at bats).

Nelfox02
well.....cant says I m surprised really......disgusted....dissapointed but not....ah you know what **** it----yes, I am surprised......Lopez????

really???????

well, its over.....fine..........we won the series.......with Cle dropping a game we did not lose ground (did give one back to the kitties tho)

we got some runs Friday....but these last 2 games......ugh. Does not lend much faith to our success for a 7 game set that features a bad KC team that always plays us tough and a Twins team that....well no need to say how we look against them

go 5-2 in this home stretch and go into the break with some fire

hi im skot
At least today was a meaningless game.

THE REAL GAMES START TOMORROW.

PeteWard
07-03-2011, 04:52 PM
They're fun to watch when they're winning. When they lose, everyone is ready to off themselves.

I would say that I love watching the pitching and D --even today-- but even in many wins the hitters have made watching painful.

PalehosePlanet
07-03-2011, 04:52 PM
1 run on 4 hits for a second consecutive game. Luckily we won one.

Yesterday, Garza pitched great, so it wasn't painful to watch, but today? Rodrigo Lopez? Player of the game? There are no words that can adequately express my frustration at the offense today.

For whatever reason, other than the time in '08, we can never complete sweeps vs. this team. Even when it's Lopez vs. Floyd for a seemingly easy W.

Had you told me Gavin would give up 3 runs in 7 innings today, I'd figured that would be a win.

SI1020
07-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Batting him third makes no sense on any level. At this point batting him anywhere makes no sense on any level. I don't care how much he is making. How low does his average have to go? Reaching the Mendoza line will be a major accomplishment.

Dick Allen
Once again, the Sox fail to complete a sweep of those clowns. Rodrigo Lopez is ******* awful. What an indictment of this pathetic offense. If Walker isn't launched now, I'm convinced he never will be.

MarySwiss
I would say that I love watching the pitching and D --even today-- but even in many wins the hitters have made watching painful.
This.

sunofgold
07-03-2011, 04:54 PM
All losses are tough. We had two chances. Pierre hit the ball hard (think it was third) but right at pitcher. Maybe a sign that it wasn't our day. Then Juan and Alexei couldn't do anything against MARshalls/MARmol.. their MARtians I guess.

Back to the drawing board.

Nelfox02
07-03-2011, 04:57 PM
1 run on 4 hits for a second consecutive game. Luckily we won one.

Yesterday, Garza pitched great, so it wasn't painful to watch, but today? Rodrigo Lopez? Player of the game? There are no words that can adequately express my frustration at the offense today.

For whatever reason, other than the time in '08, we can never complete sweeps vs. this team. Even when it's Lopez vs. Floyd for a seemingly easy W.

Had you told me Gavin would give up 3 runs in 7 innings today, I'd figured that would be a win.

agree---crystal ball says Gavin goes 7 with 3 ER, and Bruney and Ohman come in and hold....yeah, I would have said comfy W..........sigh

Gavin was Gavin today.....not great, not bad, I thought he looked a hell of a lot better than his first start with the Flubs.......

I though we might have a little magic left after that walk to PK and Mr Clutch Juan and TCM coming up, but Quade actually managed the game today and brought in Marshall to slam the door........

Soxman219
07-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Will the Sox ever sweep the Cubs at Wrigley? Anyway, time to show up against the AL Central.

Nelfox02
07-03-2011, 05:00 PM
At this point batting him anywhere makes no sense on any level. I don't care how much he is making. How low does his average have to go? Reaching the Mendoza line will be a major accomplishment.

if you want to play him and feel the need to justify the investment and recognize that you need to get him going to significantly help your chances of winning a division.....fine. but he should be no where near 3-4-5 in the line up......that is part that perplexes me....

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 05:04 PM
if you want to play him and feel the need to justify the investment and recognize that you need to get him going to significantly help your chances of winning a division.....fine. but he should be no where near 3-4-5 in the line up......that is part that perplexes me....

Ozzie's using him to take the heat off Pierre.

I'd use teal, but part of me believes it's true.

A. Cavatica
07-03-2011, 05:05 PM
You win sixty, you lose eighty, and those other 22 make the difference.

DickAllen72
07-03-2011, 05:05 PM
2 runs in 2 days at Wrigley bad bad Ju Ju.:angry:
What can anyone expect with Adam Dunn batting third? Ozzie better not keep batting Dunn third against division opponents. This is where the Sox have to make their move and they have to start taking these games a little more seriously than having a .170 hitter batting third. :mad:

bluedemon45
07-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Hitting sucks. The bats have the next 19 games to heat up otherwise we can pack it in for 2011.

spawn
07-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Adam Dunn's fault? Okay.
Didn't you know? When they lose, it's either his fault or Juan Pierre's fault. Forget the fact they only managed four hits as a team today.

Also, let's forget they've won 3 of the last 4 series they've played. A sweep would've been nice, but I'll take 2 out of 3, and 4 out of 6 from the Cubs overall. Hopefully they can continue this success against the Royals.

spawn
07-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Ozzie's using him to take the heat off Pierre.

I'd use teal, but part of me believes it's true.
Just couldn't help yourself, could you? :rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Knowing that the Sox are overextended on payroll, the other AL Central teams got together and told JR they would pay Greg Walker's salary.

johnnyg83
07-03-2011, 05:14 PM
With Dunn at DH or in the field, we're essentially a NL team playing against AL competition. One bat down.

Cubs pitching is the worst in the NL and 29 out of 30 and we scored 8 runs in three games. Pfft!

EDIT: Sorry 2nd worst in the NL and MLB after Houston

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Didn't you know? When they lose, it's either his fault or Juan Pierre's fault. Forget the fact they only managed four hits as a team today.

Also, let's forget they've won 3 of the last 4 series they've played. A sweep would've been nice, but I'll take 2 out of 3, and 4 out of 6 from the Cubs overall. Hopefully they can continue this success against the Royals.

I'll actually take a series loss to the Royals if it means we take the series from the Twins.

I haven't been optimistic lately (yes, really), but I feel the Sox will actually turn the season around if they take the series against the Twins.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I understand that he needs to be given time to get through his slump, but there is no reason - none - that Dunn should be hitting third. Ozzie is a ****ing clueless idiot in this regard.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Just couldn't help yourself, could you? :rolleyes:

He has stated on multiple occasions that Juan's not as bad as Dunn and Rios.

Woofer
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
What can anyone expect with Adam Dunn batting third? Ozzie better not keep batting Dunn third against division opponents. This is where the Sox have to make their move and they have to start taking these games a little more seriously than having a .170 hitter batting third. :mad:

He is into the .160's now.

kufram
07-03-2011, 05:19 PM

I'll take 2 out of 3 or 4 out of 6 for the rest of the season. When you lose a game like today I don't understand the need to personalize blame. The team lost. I guess we live in a blame culture but it gets silly here. Paul Konerko didn't hit a home run ... so it's his fault.

spawn
07-03-2011, 05:20 PM
He has stated on multiple occasions that Juan's not as bad as Dunn and Rios.
So what? He's not playing Dunn to take the heat off of Pierre. That's a ****ing ridiculous assumption.

As far as Pierre being better that Rios and Dunn...well, he's right.

spawn
07-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I'll take 2 out of 3 or 4 out of 6 for the rest of the season. When you lose a game like today I don't understand the need to personalize blame. The team lost. I guess we live in a blame culture but it gets silly here. Paul Konerko didn't hit a home run ... so it's his fault.
That's what we do at WSI. Even if the team is having a run of success, after a loss we're ready to jump off the ledge again.

Nelfox02
Hitting sucks. The bats have the next 19 games to heat up otherwise we can pack it in for 2011.

this.

just looking at the next 7---these are not good teams, at least I dont think so, and we are at home We make KC look solid and we make Minn look like an unstoppable force.....but its time to put up or shut up Sox. 5-2, put some runs up in these games, and there will actually be legit reason for some hope around here going into the all star break

really wanted this one today.......darn

LITTLE NELL
At least today was a meaningless game.

THE REAL GAMES START TOMORROW.

How can you call it a meaningless game, every game counts especially with the Tribe losing today. They play 162 games and the team with the most wins is the division winner. Besides that we dropped under .500 again, it would have been nice to open up the homestand at a game over .500.

Chez
07-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Man, looking at the pitching matchups coming into the series, you figured we'd get this one. Let's win 5 of 7 heading into the break.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 05:23 PM
That's what we do at WSI. Even if the team is having a run of success, after a loss we're ready to jump off the ledge again.

Better than Dunn? After the recent surge, yes.

Better than Rios? No.

Bottom line: All three of them blow and are a big reason why we've been so mediocre.

PeteWard
07-03-2011, 05:24 PM

I did not read ONE post that put the game entirely on Dunn. What people do want to know is why is he batting third? :angry: Is that so unreasonable?

34rancher
07-03-2011, 05:25 PM

I agree I hope we can continue success. It would be nice.
As for Dunn, he's sat a lot of the games in those series. His slugging is worse than just about every player in Chicago. It's time for an extended mental break.

With Dunn at DH or in the field, we're essentially a NL team playing against AL competition. One bat down.

Cubs pitching is the worst in the NL and 29 out of 30 and we scored 8 runs in three games. Pfft!

EDIT: Sorry 2nd worst in the NL and MLB after Houston

The cubs used to be the worst until the last 2 days in era.

captain54
07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
When you lose a game like today I don't understand the need to personalize blame. The team lost. I guess we live in a blame culture but it gets silly here. Paul Konerko didn't hit a home run ... so it's his fault.

We scored 2 runs in 18 innings against one of the worst pitching staffs in MLB... so I guess everything is hunky-dory, eh?

spawn
07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I did not read ONE post that put the game entirely on Dunn. What people do want to know is why is he batting third? :angry: Is that so unreasonable?
His batting third didn't lose the game, did it? It doesn't matter where he batted in the lineup today.The entire offense only managed four hits today. But let's continue to bitch about Dunn batting third in the lineup, becuase it obviously mattered today. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Just can't sweep these guys can they? :rolleyes:

12 losses now in games where an opponent scores three runs or less.

We'll see if they are teasing us again this upcoming week. They need to take 5 of 7, they are playing at home...should be no excuses.

Lip

spawn
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
We scored 2 runs in 18 innings against one of the worst pitching staffs in MLB... so I guess everything is hunky-dory, eh?
Matt Garza was dealing yesterday. The Sox should feel fortunate they were able to scrape something together to score. And Matt Garza, when he's on, is a pretty effective pitcher.

VMSNS
07-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Don't forget folks that the Sox, starting tomorrow, will now play 19 straight games against the AL Central going up to the trade deadline. It's now or never, boys.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
It'll be very interesting to see what happens with Dayan this next week. Whether he replaces Pierre remains to be seen.

Blueprint1
07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Baltimore, LAA, Seattle, Oakland, and Minnesota the only teams that have scored less runs than us in the AL. All these teams are garbage except for LAA who have given up the 3rd least runs in the AL.

PeteWard
07-03-2011, 05:43 PM
His batting third didn't lose the game, did it? It doesn't matter where he batted in the lineup today.The entire offense only managed four hits today. But let's continue to bitch about Dunn batting third in the lineup, becuase it obviously mattered today. :rolleyes:

So you would have no problem with a .160 to .170 hitter --who looks as lost as any hitter I have ever seen -- continuing to bat third?

palehozenychicty
07-03-2011, 05:47 PM
This team is what it is at the moment. Good one day, barely present the next.

Tragg
07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Rios and Dunn are certainly having worse years than Pierre. But Pierre rarely sits, never budges from the lead-off spot, and the manager, perpetually awed by slappers who try hard (see Erstad/Owens/Wise), thinks he's a quality player.
Guillen's ego frequently trumps baseball sense.
We're stuck with him - fine.
I just hope Williams doesn't compound the problem with some trade of our scarce young players for a slapper upgrade

captain54
07-03-2011, 05:49 PM
The Sox should feel fortunate they were able to scrape something together to score.

Yes, I would agree. We should feel fortunate given the fact that we are a weak offensive team.

thomas35forever
07-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Nothing to see here. Move along. Like others have said, nothing we haven't seen already this season that we saw today. At least we don't lose any ground on Cleveland. Forget it and move on to the Royals.

PeteWard
07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Don't forget folks that the Sox, starting tomorrow, will now play 19 straight games against the AL Central going up to the trade deadline. It's now or never, boys.

Now is the time to start to turn it on. Go Go, Sox. :D:

captain54
07-03-2011, 05:53 PM
So you would have no problem with a .160 to .170 hitter --who looks as lost as any hitter I have ever seen -- continuing to bat third?

I see Ozzie's dilemna. He's doing no good sitting on the bench.

At this point however, he's doing no good in the lineup. Putting him in the lineup on an everyday basis apparently is not helping him figure it out.

Viva Medias B's
07-03-2011, 05:54 PM
We made Rodrigo Lopez look like Justin Verlander.

PeteWard
07-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I see Ozzie's dilemna. He's doing no good sitting on the bench.

At this point however, he's doing no good in the lineup. Putting him in the lineup on an everyday basis apparently is not helping him figure it out.

I would have him sit more than he has. Maybe play 2-3 games a week till he figures it out.

ohiosoxfan
07-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Everyone says what a great teammate Dunn is . . . maybe he should be a great teammate and VOLUNTEER to go to Charlotte to get it worked out so he doesn't hurt our chances in the games that count. I know with his years of service, etc. he can't be sent down by the club, but he certainly could make the decision on his own and go down.

Daver
07-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Everyone says what a great teammate Dunn is . . . maybe he should be a great teammate and VOLUNTEER to go to Charlotte to get it worked out so he doesn't hurt our chances in the games that count. I know with his years of service, etc. he can't be sent down by the club, but he certainly could make the decision on his own and go down.

No, he can't, the MLBPA would file a grievance even if it was voluntary.

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 06:20 PM
How can you call it a meaningless game, every game counts especially with the Tribe losing today. They play 162 games and the team with the most wins is the division winner. Besides that we dropped under .500 again, it would have been nice to open up the homestand at a game over .500.

He's attempting to be witty and trolling my comments in the game thread while completely misrepresenting what I said. You know, acting like an ass in general, but WTH the Sox have lost one in a row so people need to vent their spleen...

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 06:21 PM

And won one of the games...

Daver
07-03-2011, 06:22 PM
He's attempting to be witty and trolling my comments in the game thread while completely misrepresenting what I said. You know, acting like an ass in general, but WTH the Sox have lost one in a row so people need to vent their spleen...

Why are you paying attention to a band wagon fan?

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Well he seems to be paying attention to me, so I thought it only fair to repay him in kind...

doublem23
07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Bleeeeeeeegh. I know, we won the series and that's great, but man, when you start off as ****ty as the Sox did this year, you just cannot afford to not take gifts from the opposing team... such as actually starting Rodrigo Lopez against you.

Oh well, 1 game under, 3.5 games out (thanks, Reds)

Go Sox

captain54
07-03-2011, 07:13 PM
And won one of the games...

True. Now all we need is the pitching staff to give up one or fewer runs every game and World Series, here we come.

hawkjt
07-03-2011, 07:16 PM
It'll be very interesting to see what happens with Dayan this next week. Whether he replaces Pierre remains to be seen.

This is the problem with not watching the actual games. Juan hit a line shot up the middle with men on 1st and 2nd that could have made a difference in the game,but Lopez made a nice play to flag it down and double up Gordo. If Lopez is not so quick,it is yet another Juan-led rally by the Sox. Rios,on the other hand, does not even hint of looking ''hitterish'' at the plate. He is swinging very meekly,just trying to make contact.
And Dunn is still pretty lost,virtually unable to make contact with any breaking ball,even from a mediocre righthander. If you watch the games,you would know what is going on with the team.

Now,that said, I wish that Ozzie would have pinch hit for Juan in the 8th with man on first and second,one out, when the Cubs brought in their ace lefty,Marshall. Ozzie should have given Lilly a shot there,as he is murder on lefties. That was frustrating to me. Then bring in Omar to bat for Alexei vs Marmol...who is murder on righties,especially Alexei,with his penchant for swinging at those low,outside sliders. Badly managed Ozz.

At this point,I would be open to sending Lilly down and bringing up Dayan to play some outfield,and DH. This is crunch time vs the AL Central,we need offense!!

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 07:23 PM
This is the problem with not watching the actual games. Juan hit a line shot up the middle with men on 1st and 2nd that could have made a difference in the game,but Lopez made a nice play to flag it down and double up Gordo. If Lopez is not so quick,it is yet another Juan-led rally by the Sox. Rios,on the other hand, does not even hint of looking ''hitterish'' at the plate. He is swinging very meekly,just trying to make contact.
And Dunn is still pretty lost,virtually unable to make contact with any breaking ball,even from a mediocre righthander. If you watch the games,you would know what is going on with the team.

I'm just thinking that something's gotta give eventually.

I don't know where he's playing, but with the way he's hitting in Charlotte, I have to believe Kenny will make the move and call him up.

No idea who's going though.

Maybe Hector whatever his name is will get sent back down and then Dayan will be put into some sort of rotation where he plays every day.

I imagine that given this huge stretch of games coming up, KW may make the move to bring Dayan up regardless of how Pierre is playing. Have to find some way to boost this offense. He may not DFA Pierre right now, but Dayan still may come up now that the deadline should be passing soon.

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Winning 2 of 3 is nice, but losing to Rodrigo Lopez would leave anyone with a bad taste in their mouth.
We need to clean up in these next division games, to get something going.

DumpJerry
07-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Now,that said, I wish that Ozzie would have pinch hit for Juan in the 8th with man on first and second,one out, when the Cubs brought in their ace lefty,Marshall. Ozzie should have given Lilly a shot there,as he is murder on lefties. That was frustrating to me. Then bring in Omar to bat for Alexei vs Marmol...who is murder on righties,especially Alexei,with his penchant for swinging at those low,outside sliders. Badly managed Ozz.

At this point,I would be open to sending Lilly down and bringing up Dayan to play some outfield,and DH. This is crunch time vs the AL Central,we need offense!!

I just thinking that somethings gotta give eventually.

I don't know where he's playing, but with the way he's hitting in Charlotte, I have to believe Kenny will make the move and call him up.

No idea who's going though.

Maybe Hector whatever his name is will get sent back down and then Dayan will be put into some sort of rotation where he plays every day.

I imagine that given this huge stretch of games coming up, KW may make the move to bring Dayan up regardless of how Pierre is playing. Have to find some way to boost this offense. He may not DFA Pierre right now, but Dayan still may come up now that the deadline should be passing soon.
Jermaine: maybe you should start watching the games before commenting on them. That way you won't look so foolish like someone who just reads the box score and makes assumptions about what happened.

You do know that "Hector whatever his name is" is a Pitcher and Dayan isn't, don't you?

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Jermaine: maybe you should start watching the games before commenting on them. That way you won't look so foolish like someone who just reads the box score and makes assumptions about what happened.

You do know that "Hector whatever his name is" is a Pitcher and Dayan isn't, don't you?

I do.

And I also know that he has yet to be used.

Seems like he's really just taking up a roster spot right now.

Also, you really do only need to look at the box score for this one. The Sox scored 1 run on a wild pitch in a game that had Rodrigo Lopez as the starter. Offense is bad. That's all you need to know.

You have to at least try something new.

Like someone who's tearing the cover off the ball in AAA.

Now, he doesn't need to replace Pierre, even though I feel that's what should be done. I do think he needs to be in this lineup. There's far too many automatic outs in it right now.

ChiSoxGal85
07-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Not too much to say about this one. They've been playing a bit better lately, including some key hitting, but this game was a fairly typical loss for the Sox - decent pitching and defense but no run support against a mediocre pitcher.

Oh, well...let's take it to KC this week.

Brian26
07-03-2011, 08:10 PM

This week? Are you serious? After the last week, Juan's cemented his job until at least the deadline, if not the rest of the season.

Brian26
07-03-2011, 08:23 PM

The other thing that is annoying about Dunn right now is that he is seemingly putting himself at a disadvantage by taking the first pitch for a strike in every at-bat, if not the first two pitches. I haven't seen every at-bat, but in the last two games I've seen him do this three times. It's hard to be dangerous when you're protecting at 0-2 constantly. The last left-handed Sox hitter I can remember making an adjustment with two strikes was Carl Everett.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm happy we took 4 out of 6

ShooterMcGavin
07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
This might not be the popular opinion, but I'm happy with taking both series against the Cubs.

hi im skot
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM

Well he seems to be paying attention to me, so I thought it only fair to repay him in kind...

:rolling:

I'm being an ass/trolling because I'm pointing out that your logic is flawed, and then got immediately defensive with nothing but eyerolls to back it up? That's great.

I don't even know where the "band wagon fan" comment comes from, and I'd be upset if it actually made any sense. Care to explain that one, or are you just lobbing grenades?

I'm sorry we disagree on the importance of games. It doesn't matter if we're playing the Cubs, Astros, Mariners or Royals - you want to win every game you play. Sure, games mean more if you're trailing them or are within striking distance in the division, but the Royals don't really represent much of a threat. Teams like the Indians, Tigers and Twins? Sure, important games. But to refer to a game like today as meaningless just doesn't make any sense.

That being said, I'm not upset the Sox lost today - they took two out of three, and winning the series is all you can ask for against any team. But I'd sure like to win as many games as possible regardless of who the opponent is.

Brian26
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry we disagree on the importance of games. It doesn't matter if we're playing the Cubs, Astros, Mariners or Royals - you want to win every game you play. Sure, games mean more if you're trailing them or are within striking distance in the division, but the Royals don't really represent much of a threat.

This is really splitting hairs, but one could even argue that a Royals game would be more important than a Cubs game or Mariners game because of the MLB tie-breaker rules for division championships. If the Sox and Tigers tie, and by some chance have the same record against each other, then the first tie-breaker, IIRC, is intra-division games. The next tie-breaker is intra-league (not inter-league), so I guess a Mariners game would be more important than a Cubs game.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 10:11 PM
This is really splitting hairs, but one could even argue that a Royals game would be more important than a Cubs game or Mariners game because of the MLB tie-breaker rules for division championships. If the Sox and Tigers tie, and by some chance have the same record against each other, then the first tie-breaker, IIRC, is intra-division games. The next tie-breaker is intra-league (not inter-league), so I guess a Mariners game would be more important than a Cubs game.

Still, losing to Rodrigo Lopez leaves a ****ty taste in your mouth, regardless if people feel that it's not as important as other games.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Still, losing to Rodrigo Lopez leaves a ****ty taste in your mouth, regardless if people feel that it's not as important as other games.

These things happen in the course of a 162 game season. And I know the Cub sheeple are celebrating today like they won a playoff game, but a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while, so let them have that. They may have won today's battle, but with the White Sox taking four out of six (two out of three at each park), it's safe to say we won the WAR.

sullythered
07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
There needs to be a sticky thread entitled: ADAM DUNN CAN'T GO TO THE MINORS.

Sox
07-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm not really surprised at all of the ranting, raving and venting here after a Sox loss. It's the standard Modus Operandi. I've even done it myself a few times. But the bottom line is we have to root for the cards we've been dealt with as far as talent level goes on this 2011 edition of the Chicago White Sox.

Realistically. are the Sox going to win every game? No!! Have they struggled mightily from an offensive perspective? Yes!! But to take 2 out of 3 from the Cubs is two out of three more wins had we lost this series or gotten swept.

The whole Adam Dunn issue is like beating a horse to death. It's old news. We all see his batting average. A mediocre .168 or something like that. Pardon the expression but it's over Dunn if you ask me.

Like it or not we don't get to make the line up card or get to be involved in the trades. So as fans all we can continue to do is root for the team and hope that upper management can make the right decisions as far as putting the right personnel in place or that the manager tries to make the right decisions when it comes to making out the line up card.

Surely KW or whoever is in charge cannot be that blind that they can't see that we have all of the right pitching in place; but that the team is struggling offensively. I don't know if financially the Sox are cap limited or trade limited because they haven't approached the trade deadline yet.

I don't understand all of the inner workings of running a baseball club. I just hope that the Sox can get it together and find that "Chicago Tough" attitude that KW spoke so much about and that Jake Peavy believes in.

DumpJerry
07-03-2011, 11:00 PM
That won't stop people for saying it should happen. I'm still waiting for people to insist we trade him for Cliff Lee. Straight up.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 11:21 PM
These things happen in the course of a 162 game season. And I know the Cub sheeple are celebrating today like they won a playoff game, but a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while, so let them have that. They may have won today's battle, but with the White Sox taking four out of six (two out of three at each park), it's safe to say we won the WAR.

Well then the White Sox lead the league in giving acorns to blind squirrels.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Well then the White Sox lead the league in giving acorns to blind squirrels.

:rolleyes: and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
:rolling:

I'm being an ass/trolling because I'm pointing out that your logic is flawed, and then got immediately defensive with nothing but eyerolls to back it up? That's great.

I don't even know where the "band wagon fan" comment comes from, and I'd be upset if it actually made any sense. Care to explain that one, or are you just lobbing grenades?

I'm sorry we disagree on the importance of games. It doesn't matter if we're playing the Cubs, Astros, Mariners or Royals - you want to win every game you play. Sure, games mean more if you're trailing them or are within striking distance in the division, but the Royals don't really represent much of a threat. Teams like the Indians, Tigers and Twins? Sure, important games. But to refer to a game like today as meaningless just doesn't make any sense.

That being said, I'm not upset the Sox lost today - they took two out of three, and winning the series is all you can ask for against any team. But I'd sure like to win as many games as possible regardless of who the opponent is.

No you're twisting my words. I never said today's game was meantingless. I merely said that starting tomorrow the games have MORE meaning because they are against division opponents.

I do agree that you want to win every game you play but I don't agree that means you play your top lineup every single game because that wears players down. Sometimes you make decisions based on what's happening next. I think that's what happened today when Konerko didn't play and Dunn did.

I will close by merely pointing out that I never said what you say I said and I defy you to find that post where I did.

But I'm done with this argument. Feel free to keep ranting at strawmen if it somehow makes you feel smarter or something...

HaroMaster87
07-03-2011, 11:46 PM

AGREED...and there also needs to be one titled "Firing Greg Walker is not going to suddenly make the entire line-up better at hitting"

kinda long, but you get my point...:wink:

doublem23
07-04-2011, 12:01 AM
\
But I'm done with this argument. Feel free to keep ranting at strawmen if it somehow makes you feel smarter or something...

He didn't

captain54
07-04-2011, 12:05 AM
AGREED...and there also needs to be one titled "Firing Greg Walker is not going to suddenly make the entire line-up better at hitting"

kinda long, but you get my point...:wink:

I agree...and how about a thread running right along side it "Firing Greg Walker is not going to suddenly make the entire line-up any worse at hitting"

Sunnydre
07-04-2011, 12:29 AM
i remember when .260 was actually a pretty respectable average for a lead off hitter.

JB98
07-04-2011, 01:00 AM

They aren't sending Lillibridge down, just as they aren't releasing Pierre.

Lillibridge is out of options, and his versatility is too valuable to this team. Someone would claim him if he were put on waivers.

I think they could part with the 12th pitcher and bring up Viciedo, but they won't do that either.

SI1020
07-04-2011, 09:26 AM
That won't stop people for saying it should happen. I'm still waiting for people to insist we trade him for Cliff Lee. Straight up. I'm all for that deal. Make it happen Kenny.

A. Cavatica
07-04-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm all for that deal. Make it happen Kenny.

And bring Roberto Alomar back to DH.

forrestg
07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Batting him third makes no sense on any level.
The third spot should belong to the best hitter on any team. Funny, I'm not sure if he would qualify as any mlb team's #3 the way he's embarassing himself and Kenny this year.

kevingrt
07-04-2011, 11:47 AM

I'd prefer Carl Everett. I mean he did win a ring.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Not much more to say is there?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6327781-419/cubs-rodrigo-lopez-marks-a-lo-point-for-fragile-white-sox-hitters.html

Walker offers his explanation.

Lip

Tragg
07-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I believe that we've only swept one series this year (Boston). Hard to make a real move without sweeps.
If the hitting picks up, we probably do win this division easily. But if the pitching takes a step back, we'll finish 4th. Which is more probable - Humber and Serg keeping it up and not taking a step back and getting a full 1/2 season production out of Peavy, or Dunn, Rios et al getting on track?

Guillen frequently moves players up and down the lineup based on production (except for his leadoff hitter)....yet Dunn moves up to 3rd (he's not really a 3 hole hitter when he's performing at his best). Guillen's stubbornness/ego has frequently gotten in the way of sound baseball decisions - is this one of those cases? Probably not, unless it persists.

balke
07-04-2011, 12:32 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6327781-419/cubs-rodrigo-lopez-marks-a-lo-point-for-fragile-white-sox-hitters.html

Lip

I guess he just needs to take his hitters out to Six Flags and have a team fun day so they can remember why they play baseball.

hawkjt
07-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Dunn says after yesterdays game that he feels like he found something in his mechanics that made him feel better. Walker seemed to agree.

So, do you start him today vs the lefty Francis from KC?
We all know his futility vs Lefties this year,and the certain booing from the home crowd if he fails again...so.....tough call.

DickAllen72
07-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Dunn says after yesterdays game that he feels like he found something in his mechanics that made him feel better. Walker seemed to agree.

We all know his futility vs Lefties this year,and the certain booing from the home crowd if he fails again...so.....tough call.
Bat him ninth.

Crestani
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM

Is Minnie Minoso out of options..??

JermaineDye05
07-04-2011, 01:14 PM

I don't even know what to do.

I thought he had figured it out a bit in the Oakland series last month.

Was I ever wrong.

captain54
07-04-2011, 01:32 PM

Lip

I, as a dumb fan, do not know what a hitting coach does and was hoping to read this blurb so I could be somewhat enlightened, but it seems now I am more confused than ever. Is Walker a therapist? a swing mechanic? a friendly Big Brother?

SI1020
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I, as a dumb fan, do not know what a hitting coach does and was hoping to read this blurb so I could be somewhat enlightened, but it seems now I am more confused than ever. Is Walker a therapist? a swing mechanic? a friendly Big Brother? Maybe all of the above. Just rest assured that he is working hard at whatever he does and the Sox will bust out of their hitting slump any day now.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Probably September 15th...

Lip

fram40
07-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Maybe all of the above. Just rest assured that he is working hard at whatever he does and the Sox will bust out of their hitting slump any day now.

This made me laugh out loud. I must be a masochist

slavko
07-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Did someone mention that they ran a simulated game for him against minor league pitching, to restore his confidence, because they did. The results are self-evident. .170 and sinking. Worst case of whatever I've ever seen.