PDA

View Full Version : TCQ an all-star but not Konerko

roylestillman
07-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Carlos is named to the AL All Star team.

No Pauly?

illini81887
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
that is BS

harwar
07-03-2011, 12:25 PM
yea, i kept waiting to see Paul Konerko .. very confused .. i'm glad i don't watch the all star game anymore ..

Soxman219
07-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Seriously, ***?

bluedemon45
07-03-2011, 12:31 PM
What a joke.

sox1970
07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
First, it's crap if PK didn't make it.

Second, I gotta think he'll be on the final player vote--and he'll deserve to win no matter who else got snubbed.

all*star quentin
07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate , All*Star Quentin!!!:cool::gulp:

:supernana:

:)http://www.csnchicago.com/07/03/11/White-Soxs-Quentin-selected-2011-AL-All-/landing.html?blockID=538995&feedID=661

balke
07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Speaking of... Didn't TCQ used to hit homeruns? It's nearly been a month.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
How incredibly LAME

Sockinchisox
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
First, it's crap if PK didn't make it.

Second, I gotta think he'll be on the final player vote--and he'll deserve to win no matter who else got snubbed.

He is on the Final Vote.

ChiSoxGal85
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm very happy for TCQ! :bandance:

But no Paulie? That's a travesty! BUT I heard he made the final ballot though. If so, we gotta get him on there!!

Soxman219
07-03-2011, 12:37 PM
:)

DirtySox
07-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I am not shocked.

Hopefully he gets there via the last player vote.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Who are the others on the "final ballot?" or to put it another way...how many Red Sox and Yankees??

Lip

soxfanreggie
07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
that is BS
Until starters are chosen on merit, that's crap.
Congrats to TCQ, but c'mon...Paulie is having another great season.

It should be requiredto be called the Popularity Contest, not an All-Star game.

bridgeportcopper
07-03-2011, 12:41 PM
He is on the Final Vote.
vs who? Youkilis? Sabathia? What a shame! We gotta do that "Pauliewood" thing again or this time "send Paulie home to his 16,000 square foot Arizona home for the all star game" for a guy who is legitimately a top 5 MVP candidate - DISGRACE!

Soxman219
There is no reason PK should not be at the AS game. Who else has done better than PK outside Adrian Gonzalez?

Noneck
Just so neither is in homerun derby. I dont care who is in.

DeadMoney
07-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Who are the others on the "final ballot?" or to put it another way...how many Red Sox and Yankees??

Lip

Alex Gordon
Adam Jones
Paul Konerko
Victor Martinez
Ben Zobrist

bridgeportcopper
07-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Alex Gordon
Adam Jones
Paul Konerko
Victor Martinez
Ben Zobrist

yeah, i just looked too, I guess he should win that, unless the almighty east coast gets behind Victor Martinez for his past contributions to Boston baseball.

balke
07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Would've liked to see Humber make it too. A good story going on there.

soxfanreggie
07-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Just so neither is in homerun derby. I dont care who is in.

Maybe the opposite would happen for Dunn if he got put in.

bridgeportcopper
07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Maybe we can form an alliance with the Rockies to get our old, veteran, goateed 1st basemen there together and we also share similar uni's.

Noneck
07-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Yea, maybe it would turn him into a slap hitter which would be ok with me at this stage.

Lip Man 1
No Red Sox / Yankees? Color me stunned. Hopefully Paulie can win the popularity contest.

Lip

bridgeportcopper
Dunn is in the new strikeout derby!

DeadMoney
07-03-2011, 12:49 PM
There is no reason PK should not be at the AS game. Who else has done better than PK outside Adrian Gonzalez.

5th in Avg (behind Gonzalez, Martinez, Mi Cabrera, Bautista)
8th in OBP (behind Bautista, Mi Cabrera, Gonzalez, Abreu, Butler, Youkilis, Pedroia)
4th in HRs (behind Bautista, Teixeira, Granderson)
3rd in RBIs (behind Gonzalez, Teixeira)
T7th in Hs (behind Gonzalez, Young, Gordon, Ellsbury, A Cabrera, Me Cabrera, Markakis)

This is a JOKE.

Buster_ESPN (http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN)
Buster Olney
"Not much debate over the biggest snub: Paul Konerko would be listed 1, 2 or 3 on most MVP ballots and he hasn't been picked. Wow."

EMachine10
07-03-2011, 12:50 PM
No Red Sox / Yankees? Color me stunned. Hopefully Paulie can win the popularity contest.

Lip
They're all on the team already.

sox1970
07-03-2011, 12:50 PM
And not to rain on Quentin's parade, but has anyone once thought this season that Quentin was having an all-star season?

A good season--no question. An All-Star season? Not...really.

Someway, somehow Paulie will get on the team before next Tuesday. I think that will happen.

all*star quentin
07-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Vote for Konerko for the final player :bandance:

Link http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2011/fv/ballot.jsp?tcid=hpMW-asgballot-FV-2011

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I haven't paid attention or bothered to watch a game in eons and things like this are the reason.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 01:09 PM
And not to rain on Quentin's parade, but has anyone once thought this season that Quentin was having an all-star season?

A good season--no question. An All-Star season? Not...really.

Someway, somehow Paulie will get on the team before next Tuesday. I think that will happen.

About a month ago I thought TCQ was an allstar.

Maybe he'll get on another hotstreak.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
VOTE (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2011/fv/ballot.jsp?tcid=hpMW-asgballot-FV-2011)

Biggest snub. Thankfully he's not against any Red Sox or Yankees, but he is against a former Red Sox in Victor Martinez.\

If you compare stats with the four he's up against, it's not even close.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Congrats to TCQ (although I'm still scratching my head as to how he made it), but Paulie not making it is exhibit A for why the voting should be taken out of the fans' hands.

spawn
07-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Congrats to TCQ (although I'm still scratching my head as to how he made it), but Paulie not making it is exhibit A for why the voting should be taken out of the fans' hands.
As much as it is a disservice that Paulie didn't make it, I disagree with this. It's for the fans, and they should get to vote for who they want to see in the game. The one thing they should get rid of is the stupid rule that every team needs to be represented.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 01:26 PM
As much as it is a disservice that Paulie didn't make it, I disagree with this. It's for the fans, and they should get to vote for who they want to see in the game. The one thing they should get rid of is the stupid rule that every team needs to be represented.

Yeah, but Red Sox and Yankee fans dominate the AL every year. I think it should be tweeked a bit. Maybe not the entire lineup. How about a handful of positions the fans can vote for?

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 01:27 PM

The issue is with what the weight of the win means, not with how players are selected. They need to go back to having a fun meaningless exhibition and not worry about the rest.

spawn
07-03-2011, 01:29 PM
The issue is with what the weight of the win means, not with how players are selected. They need to go back to having a fun meaningless exhibition and not worry about the rest.
This I agree with.

NDSox12
07-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Yeah, plus, it really wasn't the fans that screwed over Paulie. The fan vote went to Adrian Gonzalez, which is perfectly understandable. It is the player/manager choices that led to the Paulie snub.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Then it should be called the "Fan's Choice Game", not the All-Star Game.

kufram
07-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Absolutely right. The All Star Game should decide nothing whatsoever. I think they made it important because players were starting to skip it to take the break didn't they? That should have signaled something else.

spawn
07-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah, but Red Sox and Yankee fans dominate the AL every year. I think it should be tweeked a bit. Maybe not the entire lineup. How about a handful of positions the fans can vote for?

Yeah, plus, it really wasn't the fans that screwed over Paulie. The fan vote went to Adrian Gonzalez, which is perfectly understandable. It is the player/manager choices that led to the Paulie snub.
What NDSox said. Adrian Gonzalez deserved to get voted in. That was the right call. Paulie may have deserved the spot over Miguel Cabrera, but it's a close call there.

spawn
07-03-2011, 01:40 PM
It's been this way for a long time. Every year players get screwed. It's the nature of the beast. Do you actually think that Paulie would've been chosen over Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera even if fan voting was taken out of the equation? And because of fan voting, he STILL has a shot to get in. You want to take away that option too?

doublem23
07-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Have you not noticed that those are the only two teams in the AL that are any good?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-03-2011, 01:55 PM
It's been this way for a long time. Every year players get screwed. It's the nature of the beast. Do you actually think that Paulie would've been chosen over Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera even if fan voting was taken out of the equation? And because of fan voting, he STILL has a shot to get in. You want to take away that option too?

He could have been put at DH over David Ortiz.

I would be all for taking away that option if it meant the players were chosen by merit. Yeah, Gonzalez deserves to be the starter, I'm not even debating that. But Konerko's right there with Cabrera, and one of them could have been DH. But Ortiz (who has worse stats) gets voted in as a starter, while Konerko is fighting for his All-Star life.

Steelrod
07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Why are you reading this? Your time would be better spent voting for Konerko!

LongLiveFisk

Link http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2011/fv/ballot.jsp?tcid=hpMW-asgballot-FV-2011

With all due respect, I hate this ****. Seems like every year, Sox Army is supposed to sit non-stop at their computers trying to get a guy in that should already be in. And if there's a Yankee or Red Sox player on that final vote, you can pretty much forget it.

:bs:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Have you not noticed that those are the only two teams in the AL that are any good?

The Red Sox sure fooled us when we swept them at Fenway.

But you and I both know that the Red Sox and Yankees could both be under .500 and they'd still have half the starters.

hula
07-03-2011, 02:04 PM
How many times do they let you vote?? It keeps saying vote again no matter how many times I've voted for him!

Nelfox02
07-03-2011, 02:12 PM
wow.....what a snub....I mean he may still make it, but it comes to this?

IF PK does not make it---who is our all star? Santos or Humber?

I figured PK would be the lock this year....and was hoping for Humber.....

mark2olson
07-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Why are you reading this? Your time would be better spent voting for Konerko!

It was a great crime that Paulie was not selected. I heeded your advice and voted five times.

spongyfungy
07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
NL vote :

Andre Ethier .322 / .391 / .464 7 HR
Todd Helton .323 / .393 / .496 9 HR
Ian Kennedy 8-2 3.01 ERA
Michael Morse .299 / .349 / .538 15 HR
Shane Victorino .299 .371 .515 9 HR 13 SB

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2011, 02:17 PM
How many times do they let you vote?? It keeps saying vote again no matter how many times I've voted for him!

I just voted about 25 times and will vote some more later.

SI1020
07-03-2011, 02:18 PM
NL vote :

Andre Ethier .322 / .391 / .464 7 HR
Todd Helton .323 / .393 / .496 9 HR
Ian Kennedy 8-2 3.01 ERA
Michael Morse .299 / .349 / .538 15 HR
Shane Victorino .299 .371 .515 9 HR 13 SB That name sounds familiar.

hi im skot
07-03-2011, 02:21 PM
With all due respect, I hate this ****. Seems like every year, Sox Army is supposed to sit non-stop at their computers trying to get a guy in that should already be in. And if there's a Yankee or Red Sox player on that final vote, you can pretty much forget it.

:bs:

:cubune

spongyfungy
07-03-2011, 02:23 PM
That name sounds familiar.

he was drafted like a decade ago it seems. He was also caught for using PED's in '03

ChiSoxGal85
07-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I just voted about 25 times and will vote some more later.
I couldn't find a limit on the number of votes in the rules...and it keeps letting me vote too.

Even so, I'll vote as much as they let me and get my family & friends to vote too. Let's get him there!

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Depends on your definition of the word Star. It can mean people without as much talent but who people adore on a wide scale.

hi im skot
The Sox have formed an alliance of sorts with the Dodgers - we're supposed to vote for Konerko and Ethier.

So, yeah, do it.

russ99
What a joke. I expected Humber and Santos to get the shaft, but not Paul..

Did these guys even watch the Sox play??

Soxfest
07-03-2011, 02:44 PM
PK had some tough competition. Humber may make it later on with SP on Sunday before being inactive for the game. Vote PK in!:scratch:

LongLiveFisk
07-03-2011, 02:49 PM
:cubune

I thought about this after I posted, which you are right, it's true, but we all pretty much know Pods being voted in probably had a lot more to do with Red Sox fans voting for him in an effort to keep Jeter out.

So even though one of their players didn't get in, the Red Sox/Yankees factor still played a role in the final outcome.

Shocking.

kravdog
Ron Washington must be high...

MtGrnwdSoxFan
The Sox have formed an alliance of sorts with the Dodgers - we're supposed to vote for Konerko and Ethier.

So, yeah, do it.

Colorado's my NL team, so I'm going Konerko/Helton.

MeteorsSox4367
07-03-2011, 02:56 PM
On Facebook, Buehrle is wearing a gray "Paulstar" t-shirt for Konerko.

Cool shirt.

I love TCQ's heart and intensity, but I agree with Buster Olney's assessment that Konerko is atop the list of MVP candidates and it would be a bleeping shame if he didn't get in.

Konerko is an All-Star. Period.

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 03:13 PM
On Facebook, Buehrle is wearing a gray "Paulstar" t-shirt for Konerko.

Cool shirt.

I love TCQ's heart and intensity, but I agree with Buster Olney's assessment that Konerko is atop the list of MVP candidates and it would be a bleeping shame if he didn't get in.

Konerko is an All-Star. Period.

Yeah they were showing fans in the seats wearing them on the flubbie broadcast. They then used it to talk about voting in both PK and whoever the national league vote in player is from the flubbies.

Edit: Guess it was the Sox broadcast.

getonbckthr
07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
The bigger joke is they took 3 catchers including Martin and Wieters.

DSpivack
07-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah they were showing fans in the seats wearing them on the flubbie broadcast. They then used it to talk about voting in both PK and whoever the national league vote in player is from the flubbies.

The Cubs don't have a player among those 5: Helton, Ethier, Ian Kennedy, Mike Morse, and Victorino.

I voted for Helton.

hi im skot
07-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I thought about this after I posted, which you are right, it's true, but we all pretty much know Pods being voted in probably had a lot more to do with Red Sox fans voting for him in an effort to keep Jeter out.

You really think so? I'd like to think Red Sox fans had better things to do than refresh their browsers all day long. Meanwhile, the White Sox were the best team in baseball with a pretty popular player in the running for the last spot.

voodoochile
07-03-2011, 03:48 PM
The Cubs don't have a player among those 5: Helton, Ethier, Ian Kennedy, Mike Morse, and Victorino.

I voted for Helton.

I thought they showed Ethier, but also thought he was wearing flubbie pinstripes. So then I checked their roster as I was pretty sure Ethier wasn't on the flubbies. Then I assumed I just had a brain fart while looking at the TV and it must have been some other flubbie player.

In short it was a massive brain fart on my part, carry on...:tongue:

MeteorsSox4367
07-03-2011, 04:01 PM
It was Ethier. Some kind of Sox-Dodgers partnership.

Whatever. If it helps Konerko, I'm cool with that.

BainesHOF
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
The biggest All-Star snub in White Sox history?

Konerko not making the team is beyond ridiculous, especially considering Quentin made it. I don't think I'm going to be sucked into MLB's stupid voting contest. I sort of hope Konerko tears it up over the next few days and doesn't get voted in so MLB looks even worse. The bad part is Konerko has a legitimate chance to make the Hall of Fame, but he's going to need all the help he can get to get in. I think he's been an All-Star four times. That's not that impressive as far as Hall-of-Fame consideration is concerned. A fifth time would obviously look better. It's too bad something so stupid as every club needing a representative winds up costing Konerko in the career resume department. Even given that each club receives an All-Star, Konerko should have been a no-brainer selection. I don't see how you can justify the omission. This season, Konerko is the second best first baseman in the league and a Top 5 MVP candidate.

soltrain21
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
The biggest All-Star snub in White Sox history?

Konerko not making the team is beyond ridiculous, especially considering Quentin made it. I don't think I'm going to be sucked into MLB's stupid voting contest. I sort of hope Konerko tears it up over the next few days and doesn't get voted in so MLB looks even worse. The bad part is Konerko has a legitimate chance to make the Hall of Fame, but he's going to need all the help he can get to get in. I think he's been an All-Star four times. That's not that impressive as far as Hall-of-Fame consideration is concerned. A fifth time would obviously look better. It's too bad something so stupid as every club needing a representative winds up costing Konerko in the career resume department. Even given that each club receives an All-Star, Konerko should have been a no-brainer selection. I don't see how you can justify the omission. This season, Konerko is the second best first baseman in the league and a Top 5 MVP candidate.

No he doesn't.

sunofgold
07-03-2011, 04:51 PM
They even selected Quade as a coach for the All Star game. Why? Leading the Cubs to a 35-50 record. He must be friends with Bochy.

Why not take the managers with the best records this season to the All Star game?

PK should have made it. He is too good to have to go through ballot process. But hope he wins!

Tragg
07-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Valverde (who, if not allowed to save games, would be a non-descript middle reliever) instead of Santos is an abject disgrace.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2011, 05:20 PM
The voting process is a farce.

Each team's fan base should be allowed to vote in ONE position player to represent their team. That takes care of the fan voting part and the "all teams must be represented" part.

Then, position players in each league should get to vote in their position player peer to fill out the starting eight position players in the game.

Managers can fill out the roster by selecting needed reserves and pitchers.

These measures would end this stupid nonsense of marginal Yankees and Red Sox continuously being voted to start the game.

beasly213
07-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Instead of coming into this thread and bitching you should be voting for Paulie right now!

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
No he doesn't.

Hall of Very Good maybe.

VMSNS
07-03-2011, 05:35 PM
They even selected Quade as a coach for the All Star game. Why? Leading the Cubs to a 35-50 record. He must be friends with Bochy.

Why not take the managers with the best records this season to the All Star game?

PK should have made it. He is too good to have to go through ballot process. But hope he wins!

Actually, I heard Quade on the radio the other day saying that he doesn't even know Bochy, which makes his selection even more ridiculous.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Haven't watched the All Popularity Farce since the late 80's, don't intend to watch a pitch until the fan voting aspect is abolished or it's made one fan, one vote...period.

Lip

thomas35forever
07-03-2011, 05:51 PM
What to say except vote for Paulie?

sunofgold
07-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Actually, I heard Quade on the radio the other day saying that he doesn't even know Bochy, which makes his selection even more ridiculous.

Maybe it is b/c Quade is new. Bochy must not be on friendly terms with the other NL managers. How could he reward Quade? Ozzie seems to be on terms with the other managers. Shared profession, thus some respect.

Picking Quade over the other NL manager shows disrespect for the other NL managers if you ask me. Unless Bochy doesn't want to share some secret managerial skills with his top competitors? lol!

bluedemon45
07-03-2011, 06:00 PM
The year Chipper Jones won the MVP he wasn't selected to the All-Star Game.

sunofgold
07-03-2011, 06:18 PM
that Kirk Gibson wasn't an AllStar the year he won MVP with the Dodgers. The article says that he is the only MVP selection not selected to All Star game. But it looks like Chipper Jones also had that happen.

But Gibson was chosen by Bochy to be a coach. This makes more sense than Quade. Gibson seems like a decent manager and the All Star game is going to be in Arizona.

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Speaking of... Didn't TCQ used to hit homeruns? It's nearly been a month.

Thank you! Not only did PK get ****ed but CQ isn't even deserving.

sunofgold
07-03-2011, 07:39 PM
He got in 2008.

Humber deserved to get in to. Santos...maybe..only if he was able to keep up his great start of the season.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 07:41 PM
He got in 2008.

Humber deserved to get in to. Santos...maybe..only if he was able to keep up his great start of the season.

I'm actually happy he didn't make it. I think he could definitely use the rest. Same goes for Santos.

sox1970
07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm actually happy he didn't make it. I think he could definitely use the rest. Same goes for Santos.

Agreed with pitchers. I would feel good about them making it, but I'm happy they're shut down for four days in preparation for their final 70 games.

Daver
07-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Agreed with pitchers. I would feel good about them making it, but I'm happy they're shut down for four days in preparation for their final 70 games.

Humber was pitching on an extra day of rest up till Danks went on the DL, just like the rest of the starting staff, it's the bullpen that has been overused.

Viva Medias B's
07-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Vote early and often for the Konerko/Ethier ticket.

LongLiveFisk
07-03-2011, 09:34 PM
You really think so? I'd like to think Red Sox fans had better things to do than refresh their browsers all day long. Meanwhile, the White Sox were the best team in baseball with a pretty popular player in the running for the last spot.

Oh, you'd be surprised the things I was seeing...can't remember now if it was on their message boards or what but they absolutely did throw their support behind Podsednik in that contest.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2011, 09:41 PM

My votes are in! :D:

DonnieDarko
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Would've liked to see Humber make it too. A good story going on there.

Came in to say this. :scratch:

sullythered
07-03-2011, 10:37 PM
No he doesn't.
I didn't used to think so, but he is actually kinda moving into "maybe" territory. Especially as a clean player without any questions attached to his name. By comparison to all the guys who haven't been implicated by someone for using PEDs, he looks pretty darn good.
Everything has changed, as far as the HOF goes, and if Paul can keep it up a little longer, he has a shot.

This all star snub, btw, is the worst one I have ever seen.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Total bull****. Same thing every year. They really need to change the way an All-Star is selected. It should be strictly player voted, IMO. Konerko is above and beyond the best player on this year's White Sox team and he gets shafted.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Total bull****. Same thing every year. They really need to change the way an All-Star is selected. It should be strictly player voted, IMO. Konerko is above and beyond the best player on this year's White Sox team and he gets shafted.

Since he doesn't even register a blip on ESPN's radar, this is pretty much par for the course every year.

Brian26
07-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I think he's been an All-Star four times.

Yes. '02, '05, '06 and '10.

spongyfungy
07-04-2011, 12:36 AM
J. Hood on espn made a comment about how White Sox fans always say they are getting snubbed but if we really thought he deserved, we would have made a push to get him in. To a certain extent, I think he's right. I can honestly say we have not been voting him in to start the game at all. Yes Adrian Gonzalez has good stats but if Jeter can get in by name recognition alone I think we could have made a bigger push for PK. How about an awareness campaign of some sort instead of procrastinating or just taking for granted PK's selection. I have to admit I didn't vote at all until this final vote. Yes, we had no shot but the latest vote total before the count was pathetic.

final vote : (updated for latest count)

1, Adrian Gonzalez, Red Sox, 6,034,533.
2, Mark Teixeira, Yankees, 4,174,690.
3, Miguel Cabrera, Tigers, 3,473,849.
4, Mitch Moreland, Rangers, 1,680,462.
5, Paul Konerko, White Sox, 1,323,853.
6, Adam Lind, Blue Jays, 860,203.
7, Justin Morneau, Twins, 781,717.
8, Matt LaPorta, Indians, 750,953.

Falstaff
07-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Until starters are chosen on merit, that's crap.
Congrats to TCQ, but c'mon...Paulie is having another great season.

It should be requiredto be called the Popularity Contest, not an All-Star game.
I think they put in TCQ over Paul Konerko because Carlos has more telegenic hair style or something.

BigHurt3515
07-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Why Carlos Quentin?? I dont get it!! Don't get me wrong, I like TCQ but there are more deserving players on this team.
Konerko, Santos, Humber, AJ.

Martin and Wieters? Martin is batting .222 and batted .185 in June.. AJ is batting .290 and batted .351 in June and last I heard he was the 2nd toughest batter in the league to strikeout. Thats absurd that Martin got in over AJ.

3 catchers, 2 first basemen?? Leaving out who would probably be 3rd in MVP voting in Paul Konerko. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

MLB All Star game is a joke

petekat
07-04-2011, 03:49 AM
Thinking maybe we should approach the Phillies boards. Their fan base is a lot more active than the Dodger (yawn) fan base. Let's get them on board!:smile:

Procol Harum
07-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Well Sox fans, plan on spending some quality clicking time to get Konerko the spot he deserved. Honestly, given his under-the-radar persona and playing for the Sox I can't say I'm terribly surprised by his not making the team. What I'm really stunned about is Quentin's actually making the team--can't justify that.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Hurt:

A big part of the issue is that every team has to be represented in this farce.

Lip

balke
07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Hurt:

Lip

Lose that restriction and the Yankees and Red Sox will have bench players on the roster....

Red Barchetta
07-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Lose that restriction and the Yankees and Red Sox will have bench players on the roster....

I agree. They already have 6 of the 8 starting (non-pitcher) fielding positions locked.

tstrike2000
07-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I think Konerko will be voted in on the final vote. I hate using this term, but Miguel Cabrera and Adrian Gonzalez are the "sexier" picks in a lot of fans eyes, too in addition to having monster first halves like Konerko. Quentin making it is a bit of a head scratcher for me at this point.

balke
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I think Konerko will be voted in on the final vote. I hate using this term, but Miguel Cabrera and Adrian Gonzalez are the "sexier" picks in a lot of fans eyes, too in addition to having monster first halves like Konerko. Quentin making it is a bit of a head scratcher for me at this point.

I just want Konerko on the team so Russell Martin isn't. At least the 1Bman going are good. I'm just angry a guy like Konerko can't make the roster and Russell Martin can. Maybe just throw Konerko in at catcher to make everyone happy.

BigHurt3515
07-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Hurt:

Lip

Yeah I know. But every team has to have one, why is ours Quentin when there are more deserving players on this team..

tstrike2000
07-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I just want Konerko on the team so Russell Martin isn't. At least the 1Bman going are good. I'm just angry a guy like Konerko can't make the roster and Russell Martin can. Maybe just throw Konerko in at catcher to make everyone happy.

Russell won't be on an all-star unless somebody drops out I think. .222 hitting catchers have no business in the all-star game, but it's mainly a joke anyway. I keep thinking Konerko will get the final vote, but Victor Martinez is stiff competition.

Crooked Number
07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Why on earth would Q be picked over Konerko for the sole representative. Too many first basemen? Oh well, bfd. Carlos is having a good year, no doubt, but Konerko is having his best season ever, better than his previous all star years so far.

This is shameful.

Southsider101
07-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Burt Blyleven has been throwing a lot of love Pauly's way lately. During last night's and today's Twins broadcasts, he called Konerko's exclusion from the All Star team "a major injustice."

BainesHOF
07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
No he doesn't.

Sure, Konerko has a legitimate chance at the Hall of Fame. His odds are somewhere below 50 percent, but he does have a chance. What wouldn't you like about a clean guy hitting 500 home runs with some other good things on his resume, too?

fram40
07-04-2011, 05:43 PM
The players selected Q as a backup - that' why he was selected.

The players selected Cabrera as the backup to Gonzalez - that's why PK didn't make it. Not only did the fans snub PK, so did the players. (what do you expect form a group of people who vote Jeter the best defensive SS in the league?) I hope PK gets the four days off

Because the AL lineup is 2/3 BoSox and Yankees, and Fox / Joe Buck are broadcasting - I won't watch the game. Haven't for years.

DonnieDarko
07-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Sure, Konerko has a legitimate chance at the Hall of Fame. His odds are somewhere below 50 percent, but he does have a chance. What wouldn't you like about a clean guy hitting 500 home runs with some other good things on his resume, too?

Can you say that with 100% factual proof--or heck--even 90% proof? Now, don't get me wrong, I want him to be clean, too. But the fact remains that in this day and age of baseball, you have to ask the question if he did use PEDs during his MLB tenure.

I think that he's clean, regardless of what the possibilities may be. I can also certainly agree that from what I've seen, he certainly has the public perception of being clean.

sullythered
07-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Can you say that with 100% factual proof--or heck--even 90% proof? Now, don't get me wrong, I want him to be clean, too. But the fact remains that in this day and age of baseball, you have to ask the question if he did use PEDs during his MLB tenure.

I think that he's clean, regardless of what the possibilities may be. I can also certainly agree that from what I've seen, he certainly has the public perception of being clean.
OK, how about a guy who has never been implicated, hinted about, written about, or otherwise ever even mentioned in reference to using any PEDs in an era where almost every other power hitter was?

You can't say 100% that any player in the history of the game didn't take something. You can't say, 100%, that I'm not a vampire. There are no certainties outside of "I think, therefore I am."

I'll take the overwhelming and unmistakable lack of even one shred of evidence as enough proof to say he probably didn't use.

Daver
07-04-2011, 07:29 PM
You can't say 100% that any player in the history of the game didn't take something. You can't say, 100%, that I'm not a vampire.

How do you feel about garlic?

sullythered
07-04-2011, 07:41 PM
How do you feel about garlic?
You humans and your silly superstitions...

Brian26
07-04-2011, 07:51 PM

I don't know about that. It's a lazy generalization about this era's players. I know where you're coming from, but anyone with a shred of baseball acumen can look at the body of proof (no pun) with a guy like Konerko, and say he's been clean. Look at his steady career stats after he re-built his swing, look at his body that's been broken down since he came into the league, look at his character off the field. He's clean.

In retrospect, tell me if I'm wrong, but can't we go back and look at every jackass who has been busted or has admitted use and easily say, "yeah, no surprise."

A. Cavatica
07-04-2011, 09:48 PM
anyone with a shred of baseball acumen can look at the body of proof (no pun) with a guy like Konerko, and say he's been clean. Look at his steady career stats after he re-built his swing, look at his body that's been broken down since he came into the league, look at his character off the field. He's clean.

Or you can look at a player who had his career year at age 34, and seems to be on the same pace at 35, and wonder if he's found a little something extra. It's possible he's clean, and it's possible he's not.

Mohoney
07-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Is the DH rule being used in the game this year, even though it's in Arizona?

If the pitchers are batting, then why are there 2 DH All Star spots on the AL roster?

Seems like the AL unfairly loses flexibility there if the pitchers are batting.

Mohoney
07-04-2011, 10:19 PM
As for Paulie not making it, him losing out to Miguel Cabrera doesn't bother me that much. It's a loaded position this year with Gonzalez, Cabrera, Paulie, and Teixeira. All four deserve it, and you can only take two.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Who says you can only take two? Nothing limits a manager on positional picks that I know of, unless something has been added recently.

Lip

Brian26
07-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Or you can look at a player who had his career year at age 34, and seems to be on the same pace at 35, and wonder if he's found a little something extra. It's possible he's clean, and it's possible he's not.

Perhaps, but there is drug-testing in place, unless you're implying he's dabbling with HGH. But anyone who's really watched Konerko can see the adjustments he's made at the plate. He's taking pitches to rightfield like he never has before. He's grabbing bloop hits on balls he used to strike-out on. The homers are just a function of his discipline at the plate and playing in a bandbox.

tstrike2000
07-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Perhaps, but there is drug-testing in place, unless you're implying he's dabbling with HGH. But anyone who's really watched Konerko can see the adjustments he's made at the plate. He's taking pitches to rightfield like he never has before. He's grabbing bloop hits on balls he used to strike-out on. The homers are just a function of his discipline at the plate and playing in a bandbox.

Have to agree with Brian on this one. In the 12 years Paulie's been in a Sox uniform, he's really done a great job this year and last going with the pitch to right field and also using that inside out swing to take pitches the other way more than I've ever seen him before.

DSpivack
07-05-2011, 12:59 AM
As for Paulie not making it, him losing out to Miguel Cabrera doesn't bother me that much. It's a loaded position this year with Gonzalez, Cabrera, Paulie, and Teixeira. All four deserve it, and you can only take two.

The first two I agree with, but there is absolutely no way Teixeira deserves it more than Konerko.

SephClone89
07-05-2011, 01:36 AM
This morning I voted for Paulie about 50 times online and literally a few hundred times by text. The texting option is very quick and easy on iPhone.

Dirty30
07-05-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm in AZ for a month, and the last two days have been rainy, so in this time, I've voted 2,110 times. Text messaging is the way to go!

WhiteSox5187
07-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Have to agree with Brian on this one. In the 12 years Paulie's been in a Sox uniform, he's really done a great job this year and last going with the pitch to right field and also using that inside out swing to take pitches the other way more than I've ever seen him before.

Another plus for Konerko being clean is he was a big member of the 2002 White Sox that wanted to not be tested in the initial survey testing in order to impose harsher drug tests in the 2003 season.

hawkjt
07-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Heard PK being interviewed on Mike and Mike this morning. He strikes exactly the right tone in these interviews...humble,and almost apologetic.
He said he felt bad about some Sox front office employees having to come in on their day off yesterday to organize this drive...said that he hopes he wins so their efforts go unrewarded.
Clearly,he will not lose sleep,but would be nice to see him go in his hometown. Friends and family would love it,I am sure. Vote for PK!

Lip Man 1
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Ozzie said when all is said and done, the Sox will have three All Stars in the popularity contest game...TCQ, Paulie and Humber.

Lip

hi im skot
07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Ozzie said when all is said and done, the Sox will have three All Stars in the popularity contest game...TCQ, Paulie and Humber.

Lip

Humber's a great story, but I'm pretty sure other folks here have pointed out that there are a few pitchers with better numbers that were snubbed.

WhiteSox5187
07-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Humber's a great story, but I'm pretty sure other folks here have pointed out that there are a few pitchers with better numbers that were snubbed.

I think the reason Ozzie thinks Humber will make it is because a few pitchers (Verlander and Weaver for example) pitch on Sunday and will not be eligible to play in the All Star Game which would open a spot for a guy like Humber.

Mohoney
07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
The first two I agree with, but there is absolutely no way Teixeira deserves it more than Konerko.

I didn't say he did. All I said was that all 4 deserved to go.

sullythered
07-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Alexei has actually had a better year than TCQ, too.

hi im skot
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Alexei has actually had a better year than TCQ, too.

How so?

sullythered
07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
How so?

He's probably the best defensive player in his league at his position, and he ranks about the same spot, offensively, among SS's as TCQ ranks among RF's.

FielderJones
07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
He's probably the best defensive player in his league at his position, and he ranks about the same spot, offensively, among SS's as TCQ ranks among RF's.

Until Jeter retires Alexei will have a tough time.

hi im skot
07-05-2011, 04:55 PM

Ramirez has 11 errors, most of which are on relatively-simple plays. He makes some great plays, yes, but we've all seen him make plenty of bonehead plays, too.

sullythered
07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Ramirez has 11 errors, most of which are on relatively-simple plays. He makes some great plays, yes, but we've all seen him make plenty of bonehead plays, too.

11 errors aren't that many at SS, and he makes a ton of plays that nobody else will. I don't think there's anybody even really close to as good as him, defensively, in the AL.

FielderJones
07-05-2011, 05:23 PM
11 errors aren't that many at SS, and he makes a ton of plays that nobody else will. I don't think there's anybody even really close to as good as him, defensively, in the AL.

:thechoice :wink:

JermaineDye05
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I guess the Tigers have joined up with the Phillies to start their own campaign, entitled "Victor/Victorino."

hi im skot
07-05-2011, 05:32 PM

In 82 games he's in the middle of the pack.

If Alexei can keep his head in the game, then yes, he's one of the best in the league. Right now, I hesitate to put him that high.

Just my opinion, of course.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Skot:

I recently read where five of the selected A.L. pitchers are set to go on Sunday. That means they will have to be replaced since they will not be allowed to pitch Tuesday.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM

If Alexei can't keep his head in the game, then yes, he's one of the best in the league. Right now, I hesitate to put him that high.

I think you mean if he CAN keep his head in the game. I agree with you 100%, the problem with Alexei is all mental, sometimes he just isn't paying attention and then winds up making a mistake that usually proves to be costly. Last year Alexei was the best shortstop in the American League, this year he is in the middle of the pack. If he could focus on every play then he would be the best.

hi im skot
07-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Skot:

I recently read where five of the selected A.L. pitchers are set to go on Sunday. That means they will have to be replaced since they will not be allowed to pitch Tuesday.

Lip

That makes sense. If that's the case, I hope Humber finds a spot on the roster.

hi im skot
07-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I think you mean if he CAN keep his head in the game. I agree with you 100%, the problem with Alexei is all mental, sometimes he just isn't paying attention and then winds up making a mistake that usually proves to be costly. Last year Alexei was the best shortstop in the American League, this year he is in the middle of the pack. If he could focus on every play then he would be the best.

Yep...fixing that now.

Daver
07-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Until Jeter retires Alexei will have a tough time.

Jeter isn't even the best SS on his team.

DumpJerry
07-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Have not read the entire thread to see if this is mentioned, but I think this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX201105240.shtml) was on Washington's mind.

JermaineDye05
07-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Konerko still leading by a slim margin.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110705&content_id=21436376&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

Keep voting!

ghostface36
07-05-2011, 09:09 PM

If Alexei can keep his head in the game, then yes, he's one of the best in the league. Right now, I hesitate to put him that high.

go to fangraphs breh

Daver
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
go to fangraphs breh

What the hell is a breh? Is it some strange religious ritual I have never heard of?

sullythered
07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
What the hell is a breh? Is it some strange religious ritual I have never heard of?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=breh

Daver
07-05-2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=breh

I didn't bother with the link, the name told me all I needed to know.

I'll stick to English and leave the gibberish to others.

sullythered
07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I didn't bother with the link, the name told me all I needed to know.

I'll stick to English and leave the gibberish to others.

We all use slang, to some extent. Some is just a little sillier than others.