PDA

View Full Version : Sox Org ranked 30th

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 11:23 AM
someone earlier posted that they saw in BA, where the sox minor league is now ranked 30th. i am not disputing this, its just i can't find that article. did anybody else saw it, if so a little help pls.

Daver
07-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
someone earlier posted that they saw in BA, where the sox minor league is now ranked 30th. i am not disputing this, its just i can't find that article. did anybody else saw it, if so a little help pls.

It wasn't BA,it was a Baseball Weekly ranking.

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by daver

It wasn't BA,it was a Baseball Weekly ranking. thanks

duke of dorwood
07-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know what it was when Williams became GM?

RKMeibalane
07-10-2002, 11:44 AM
This isn't surprising. We have Reinsdorf, Williams, Manuel, and Nardi running things. I can't think of another organization in baseball that is as badly organized as the Sox. This is pathetic.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

It was 1 or 2 a few years ago.

But to blame Williams is bull****. The guys that made them number one are either here or with another team. Crede is still in the minors, guys like Stumm and Rauch got hurt.

Lucky_Boys143035
07-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Yes it was in baseball weekly...but they rate a teams farm system basicly on how well the players stats are...not the tallent and depth.

DrCrawdad
07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

From what I remember, BA ranked the Sox #1 or #2. I can't remember if that was 2001 or 2000. Although I'm pretty sure that it was last year and the Tribune ran an article about it.

I wonder what BA ranks the Sox system now.

I know that KW has dealt some of the Sox prospects, but I don't think that's the sole reason the Sox system has dropped. Wouldn't a contributing reason be that a number of the Sox prospects have now made it to the Sox or on another MLB team?

Here are the minor leaguers that I can at the moment that KW has dealt:

Josh Fogg
Matt Guirrer (sp?)
Chad Bradford

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Wouldn't a contributing reason be that a number of the Sox prospects have now made it to the Sox or on another MLB team?

Yes. They can't be the number one farm system in baseball if the guys that made them number one are in the majors.

Daver
07-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Lucky_Boys143035
Yes it was in baseball weekly...but they rate a teams farm system basicly on how well the players stats are...not the tallent and depth.

Baseball Weekly rankings are suspect at best.

CerberusWG
07-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Baseball America ranked us #9 last year.

duke of dorwood
07-10-2002, 01:16 PM
That 30th place is wrong. It would seem we have many top prospects that are headed for the majors in 2 or 3 years, some sooner. You'd think that the addition of Harris alone would make someone re-evaluate the ratings. Ratings dont sound too accurate to me.

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 02:46 PM
alot of our upper level talent is in the majors either with us or other teams. that is why we are ranked 9th in the BA and they mention that reasoning. i will post it when i get home.

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 04:23 PM
i just read the baseball weekly on the org power rating. that is the biggest load of crap that i have seen. c'mon now, col is ranked #1, even the {and it pains to to even mention this}, norhtsiders are ranked #16. i would ranked that article with anything that may be found in rag mags.

here is what BA had to say about the sox minor league org.

9. Chicago White Sox
2001 Rank: 1.
Strengths: Top prospects at the upper levels; pitching; power hitters.
Weaknesses: Catchers; infield depth.

Last year’s top-rated system continued to feed a young big league roster. Eight players from last year’s top 30 made it to Chicago, including Matt Ginter, Dan Wright and Aaron Rowand. The Sox also have included prospects in several trades, leaving the system thinned out but not bare. The next wave should be led by a healthy Jon Rauch, the 2000 Minor League Player of the Year returning from shoulder surgery, power-hitting outfielder Joe Borchard and hard-throwing lefthander Corwin Malone.

Foulke You
07-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Yes. They can't be the number one farm system in baseball if the guys that made them number one are in the majors.

True, but I think another big reason why our farm system is less thought of this year is that the AAA Charlotte Knights are having a HORRIBLE year. I think they are like 22 games under .500 even though they do have some good talent like Harris, Hummel, Josh Paul, etc. Of course they do have Jim Parque out on that hill every 5th day. That certainly can't improve your winning chances.

Soxheads
07-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

True, but I think another big reason why our farm system is less thought of this year is that the AAA Charlotte Knights are having a HORRIBLE year. I think they are like 22 games under .500 even though they do have some good talent like Harris, Hummel, Josh Paul, etc. Of course they do have Jim Parque out on that hill every 5th day. That certainly can't improve your winning chances.

Josh Paul? Did I miss something while I was gone?

CerberusWG
07-10-2002, 05:01 PM
He's been on a tear since he returned to Charlotte.

His BA went from .220 to .260 in a week or so.

Soxheads
07-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
He's been on a tear since he returned to Charlotte.

His BA went from .220 to .260 in a week or so.

Is he now the starter at Charlotte?

Daver
07-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Is he now the starter at Charlotte?

He splits time with Mark Dallesandro.

Chisoxfn
07-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Did Humberto Quintero get sent back down to AA? I know he was doing a lot of the catching when Paul was up here.

Remember people, if the Cubs are ranked 16th that thing is a sham and with us 30th its evne more of a sham. As much as some like ripping the cubs, they do have one of the top systems in the minors as do we. Ours isn't as good now, but thats because Maggs, Buerhle, Garland, Lee, Liefer, and MJ are with the big club. Plus Kip and Fogg are with other teams while Myette and Guerrier are in the minors for other teams(Texas and Pittsburgh) How you can possibly stay #1 when that many goes make it to the next level would be amazing.

Plus we still have Alex Fernandez, Joe Borchard, Tim Hummel, Josh Paul, Jason Stumm, Jon Rauch, Willie Harris, Corwin Malone, Kris Honel, Brian West, and others. Thats quite a good list of prospects right there plus we have other guys like Dennis Elucia or however you spell it, Gary Majewski, Almonte, and Co. Not many teams can boast that kind of depth so I wouldnt' worry too much.

soxtalker
07-10-2002, 06:30 PM
We can debate the validity of the ranking, but it is an indication that the talent we have in the pipeline has dwindled. And, yes, it is perfectly reasonable that the minor league system won't look as good if many of the recent prospects have made it to the majors. However, our major league club is in trouble, and we could sorely use a top minor league system. So, I think that the low ranking is a cause for great concernl; I'd really like to see it restocked -- and soon!

A couple of other points related to why our system has deteriorated: First, we've already harped on it a lot, but I am frustrated that KW has made such bad trades. It seems at times like he looked upon our minor league system as being an endless supply of talent. Second, we've had far too many injuries in the minors and, possibly, a low yield in general from those highly touted prospects. Does this say something about the coaching down there? Is the scouting suspect?

Daver
07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Did Humberto Quintero get sent back down to AA?

No he was sent back to class A Winston Salem.