PDA

View Full Version : A Nationals Game is a strange experience

HomeFish
07-02-2011, 11:56 PM
A bunch of people wearing red and white gear, yet talking about random AL games

In my section tonight: a Baltimore fan constantly bemoaning how bad his team is doing, an Oakland fan surprised to see Matt Stairs still in the majors, a Tigers fan loudly complaining that Jim Leyland is a "senile idiot", a fellow White Sox fan chuckling every time the out-of-town scoreboard showed the Cubs hitting into a double play, and me frequently breaking out into "yeah Milwaukee!" when they scored a run

all of these people (myself included) were wearing at least a Nationals hat, if not a hat and jersey shirt

HomeFish
07-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh, and a Yankees fan who seemed offended that Pirates third baseman Brandon Wood would wear #2 (which is apparently reserved for Jeter and Jeter only)

Boondock Saint
07-02-2011, 11:58 PM
A bunch of people wearing red and white gear, yet talking about random AL games

In my section tonight: a Baltimore fan constantly bemoaning how bad his team is doing, an Oakland fan surprised to see Matt Stairs still in the majors, a Tigers fan loudly complaining that Jim Leyland is a "senile idiot", a fellow White Sox fan chuckling every time the out-of-town scoreboard showed the Cubs hitting into a double play, and me frequently breaking out into "yeah Milwaukee!" when they scored a run

all of these people (myself included) were wearing at least a Nationals hat, if not a hat and jersey shirt

In all fairness to him, aren't you also surprised by that? Isn't everybody?

HomeFish
07-03-2011, 12:00 AM
In all fairness to him, aren't you also surprised by that? Isn't everybody?

The Nationals roster is full of people that I am shocked to see still playing in MLB

Matt Stairs
Mike Morse
Laynce Nix
Livan Hernandez

Boondock Saint
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
The Nationals roster is full of people that I am shocked to see still playing in MLB

Matt Stairs
Mike Morse
Laynce Nix
Livan Hernandez

Rubber-armed pitchers generally last forever. Guys like Hernandez, Wakefield, Moyer, Wilhelm, Niekro, and Hough can all attest to that.

DSpivack
07-03-2011, 12:35 AM
A bunch of transplants who still care more about their home town team than the team in DC? Sounds like DC to me!

DumpJerry
07-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Matt Stairs
Mike Morse
Laynce Nix
Livan Hernandez
Yeah, a week or so ago, we were speechless to see Hernandez.

NDSox12
07-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Matt Stairs
Mike Morse
Laynce Nix
Livan Hernandez

Morse and Nix are pretty solid players (especially Morse), but yeah... I can't figure out why a team would waste a roster spot on Stairs. Although he did have a walk-off single off the wall on Friday night.

TomBradley72
07-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Washington is an AL city- it will never happen- but I like to the Nats swap with the Rays.

tstrike2000
07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Oh, and a Yankees fan who seemed offended that Pirates third baseman Brandon Wood would wear #2 (which is apparently reserved for Jeter and Jeter only)

It's not retired already? I thought once he hits 3,000, Jeter's #2 will be retired by MLB only to be worn by everyone on the anniversary of his 3k hit.

Red Barchetta
07-03-2011, 11:50 AM
A bunch of transplants who still care more about their home town team than the team in DC? Sounds like DC to me!

Sounds similar to what I experience when going to Tampa Bay Rays games. It's like we have adopted the Rays as our second team, however loyalties still run deep with all the transplants for the teams we grew up watching and rooting for.

Zakath
07-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Washington is an AL city- it will never happen- but I like to the Nats swap with the Rays.

Washington's an NFL city. It's all about the Redskins.

Madscout
07-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Which, considering the Redskins, is too bad for them...don't count out the caps.

Jurr
07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I was there yesterday for the Pirates slaughter.
Decent stadium- kinda sterile. They are about to build tons of new attractions around the area, so the future looks bright.

The home fans sincerely could not have cared less about the game.

asindc
07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Exactly. The only sports team, pro or college, in the DC area that doesn't experience the same crowd dynamic is the ___skins. Speaking of which...

I was there yesterday for the Pirates slaughter.
Decent stadium- kinda sterile. They are about to build tons of new attractions around the area, so the future looks bright.

The home fans sincerely could not have cared less about the game.

You have an entire generation of fans who grew up without a baseball team, so whatever tradition/legacy there was for the Nats/Senators is virtually gone. They are building a fanbase from scratch. Many of the season ticket holders are fans of other teams and have adopted the Nats as their 2nd team or NL team. The only thing that will turn things around is consistent winning. They have no tradition to fall back on.