PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers

Cheryl
07-10-2002, 11:00 AM
This is in Phil Rogers story in the Trib about the game last night:

Paul Konerko, the White Sox first baseman who has been critical of Frank Thomas' selfishness in recent days, also made his presence known...

Can someone explain to me what this has to do with PK's appearance in his first All Star Game? Does Rogers really hate the Sox so much he can't just let this rest for one lousy day?

duke of dorwood
07-10-2002, 11:43 AM
The Tribune is just toilet paper thats not on a roll. Rogers comment was unnecessary.

RKMeibalane
07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Rogers is just trying to "push Frank's buttons." He knows Thomas is a sensitive, moody indivdual, and he's doing his best to feed off all of the negative material about the Sox. As we all know, Frank has strerches when he be can a really nice guy, and he has stretches where he's a royal pain in the ass. The latter has held true for the past week. Rogers has seized the opportunity to start scribbling on paper again.

DrCrawdad
07-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

[B]Can someone explain to me what this has to do with PK's appearance in his first All Star Game? Does Rogers really hate the Sox so much he can't just let this rest for one lousy day?

I read on Monday that WGN SportsCentral host Dave Kaplan, who BTW is a HUGE Cub fan, criticized the Tribune rag for blasting Frank. Yesterday I heard the first 20 minutes of Kaplan's show and he again criticized the Trib for making a big deal of the situation with Frank yet letting Sammy off the hook.

As I mentioned, Kaplan loves the Cubs and usually either ignores the Sox or gets in digs against the Sox. So, I was really surprised that Kaplan saw the irony of the Trib's coverage of the Frank "controversy" and their apparent lack of interest in Sammy dodging 3 games.

- DrCrawdad.

kevingrt
07-10-2002, 12:23 PM

Paul Konerko, the White Sox first baseman who has been critical of Frank Thomas' selfishness in recent days, also made his presence known...

Can someone explain to me what this has to do with PK's appearance in his first All Star Game? Does Rogers really hate the Sox so much he can't just let this rest for one lousy day?

Everyone Chicago media person hates the WhiteSox

Cheryl
07-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Maybe JR should just ban all media from the park except the guys from the tv station and radio station that are broadcasting the games. I'm so completely fed up with coverage in this town.

RKMeibalane
07-10-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm sure they would complain about that, too. The White Sox won't get a "fair shake" with the media until one of two things happens: 1. Reinsdorf sells the team. 2. The Sox win a World Series.

Sadly, I don't think either one will happen this season. This year's team has featured alternating stretches of exciting and boring baseball. Perhaps when LTP and Crede arrive the Sox will have an exciting team on the field. Winning each year is a question mark, especially with Manuel and Nardi in that third-base dugout.

Cheryl
07-10-2002, 04:23 PM
At lest they'd have an actual reason to complain, instead of just making crap up as they go along.

DVG
07-11-2002, 02:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RKMeibalane
[B]I'm sure they would complain about that, too. The White Sox won't get a "fair shake" with the media until one of two things happens: 1. Reinsdorf sells the team. 2. The Sox win a World Series.

If Reinsdorf ever sold the team, they would wait for the first
negative thing the new owner says or does, then tear into
him. It would all be downhill from there. If someone like Stein-
brenner owned the team, the media would despise him.

Don't be too sure a World Series victory would get the media
off their backs. First, they would be angry that their beloved
Cubbies didn't win. So they'd dig for the negatives there, too.
Attendance. Money. Future propects. the horrific-
ally ugly monstrosity of a ballpark that they play in.
Reinsdorf. Etc.,etc.

Mike Royko once said that no self-respecting fish would consent
to be wrapped in a Rupert Murdoch newspaper. The same can
certainly be said about the Sun-Times and Tribune sports sec-
tions.

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I read on Monday that WGN SportsCentral host Dave Kaplan, who BTW is a HUGE Cub fan, criticized the Tribune rag for blasting Frank. Yesterday I heard the first 20 minutes of Kaplan's show and he again criticized the Trib for making a big deal of the situation with Frank yet letting Sammy off the hook.

As I mentioned, Kaplan loves the Cubs and usually either ignores the Sox or gets in digs against the Sox. So, I was really surprised that Kaplan saw the irony of the Trib's coverage of the Frank "controversy" and their apparent lack of interest in Sammy dodging 3 games.

- DrCrawdad. i wonder if the media can be shame into doing the right thing?

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 06:03 AM

Can someone explain to me what this has to do with PK's appearance in his first All Star Game? Does Rogers really hate the Sox so much he can't just let this rest for one lousy day? afte 1 day later and rereading it, i see what you are trying to say. its like they are keeping an wound open, and infected.