PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Humber > Garza 7/2 Postgame Thread

LongLiveFisk
07-02-2011, 06:51 PM
:bandance:

.500!

TheOldRoman
07-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Finally back to .500. Great game by Humber after struggling early. Thornton was awesome, too. Let's win tomorrow and never look back.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Excellent

WhiteSox5187
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
.500! Let's get over it tomorrow!

Red Barchetta
07-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Let's finish the sweep on the northside tomorrow!

...and then put .500 in the rear view mirror! :bandance:

PeteWard
I love our pen and our defense. Back to .500!

Meanwhile, if the "Adam Dunn Project" must continue to perform, can it be 8th or 9th in the order?

WhiteSoxOnly
Happy to be officially average.Even if it is July.DSNB.

ChiSoxGal85
Whew! Despite not having his best stuff, Humber hangs in there and the Sox squeeze 1 run from a pretty good Garza. It's just enough. And kudos to Matt for a couple of damn good innings of work.

Hellloooo .500!!!
:bliss:

Crooked Number
YES!!!! 4 in a row, .500 record.

First place pitching continues!!! At some point the offense has to come around, then this team can really get things going. I am impressed.

Pierre detractors have to give him some kudos this week. He has been a big time contributor this week.

Dunn....hmmm i feel like keeping it positive today. Go for the sweep tomorrow boys.

JB98
There was only one mistake made in this ballgame -- and Garza made it. He walked Beckham leading off the sixth. The Sox made him pay. That was the difference.

Really a GREAT win today, because Garza was dirty and Humber didn't have his best stuff. Phil gutted out the seven shutout innings, and then Thornton got it done on a day where Santos wasn't available.

Awesome job this afternoon. Great to see that L flag flying proudly above Wrigley!

harwar
absolutely outstanding .. job well done guys :)

kingpin_rcs
Back to .500 but more importantly the BP Cup stays on the south side!

kufram
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Garza was very good today. Humber was not at his best but the defense was good and Humber hung tough. Really good team win.

PalehosePlanet
Great job Humber and Thornton!!!

4 in a row and .500 BABY!!!!!

Also, I just can't say enough about Phil Humber and how much he's done for this team. Another former 1st round pick post-hype reclamation project by Coop. Keep it rolling Phiily, you should be in the All-Star game -- but will probably get ripped off and not make it.

TheOldRoman
Whatever. I thought my title was better.:D:

Great win, but Dunn continues to be horribly frustrating. In the inning we scored he should have been able to bring Pierre home from third. Garza threw him a few fat pitches over the inside corner which he decided to watch.

Soxfest
.500 FINALLY!.............Hang that loser flag Cubs...........Sweep on Sunday!:cool:

Mohoney
Phil Humber should be on the All Star team. What that guy has done is nothing short of phenomenal.

soxfan1965
Pierre had a good at bat for the game winning hit. He went with the pitch low and lifted it to left. His range up and low are great. Something Dunn lacks now.

soxnut1018
07-02-2011, 06:56 PM
We're average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bliss::bandance::bliss:

LongLiveFisk
07-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Whatever. I thought my title was better.:D:

Great win, but Dunn continues to be horribly frustrating. In the inning we scored he should have been able to bring Pierre home from third. Garza threw him a few fat pitches over the inside corner which he decided to watch.

I think they go by the one that was posted first? Beat ya! :tongue:

Winning ugly? :gulp:

QCIASOXFAN
07-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Don't stop now boyyyyyyyss!

guillensdisciple
07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Nice win. Keep it going. Goal should be clearing .500 by 3 or 4 games entering the All Star break and being back 2 games in the division at a minimum.

Railsplitter
07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Finally, .500.

Hope those of going to the Urinal tomorrow remember thier brooms!

SI1020
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm mighty glad to see Matt Thornton back on his game.

chisoxfanatic
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
The best thing was them getting runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out FOUR times and failing!

Suck it, Cubbies.

BoysMom3
07-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Love it!!

WhiteSoxOnly
There was only one mistake made in this ballgame -- and Garza made it. He walked Beckham leading off the sixth. The Sox made him pay. That was the difference.

Really a GREAT win today, because Garza was dirty and Humber didn't have his best stuff. Phil gutted out the seven shutout innings, and then Thornton got it done on a day where Santos wasn't available.

Awesome job this afternoon. Great to see that L flag flying proudly above Wrigley!

What "L" flag are you referencing ? :redneck

October26
YIPPEE!! I am so happy to see the White sox win the game today. :bandance: Outstanding pitching by our Sox again. :D:

Juan Pierre with the game winning hit; Sox record is 42-42 Finally!

PeteWard
07-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm mighty glad to see Matt Thornton back on his game.

He looked calm out there---in stark contrast to how he looked earlier in the year.

Foulke You
Humber should really be in Arizona for the All Star Game this year the way he has pitched. Our bullpen has been lights out and that hiccup in April seems like a distant memory now. 3 games back now and it isn't even the All Star Break. It is sitting right there for us to take it.

ZombieRob
500 :)

veeter
07-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Humber's an All-Star. Great win. The Sox might have Championship pitching. But definitely not championship offense...yet.

Daver
I think they go by the one that was posted first? Beat ya!

I can over ride the software if I choose to, but the forum software does default to the first posted when multiple threads are merged.

JB98
Looking forward to listening to the mediots whine about the umpiring today.

No matter how much Garza stamps his feet and cries, that pitch to Pierre was still inside.

Chi Dye
It certainly feels good to know that when the Sox have the lead and go to the bullpen, the game is in good hands. This bullpen is the opposite of 2007 to this point, no? I think I recalled it being phenomenal until the Cubs series in May of that year and then plummeting.

Procol Harum
.500--now I can finally change my profile pic on Facebook to something Sox-positive.... :cool:

Just Dunn's luck--gets a full game at Wrigley and runs into a lights-out Garza.

Good game, boys.

PeteWard
3 games back now and it isn't even the All Star Break. It is sitting right there for us to take it.

No thanks to the Cincinnati Reds. :angry:

Procol Harum
07-02-2011, 07:05 PM
And I won my annual Sox-Cubs bet: free breakfast! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
07-02-2011, 07:05 PM
The ONE thing I am wondering...Why the hell was Quentin not starting? This was supposed to be a no-Dunn week! I'm glad it didn't cost us, but still, hopefully he's sitting tomorrow.

LongLiveFisk
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I can over ride the software if I choose to, but the forum software does default to the first posted when multiple threads are merged.

Thanks for the clarification. :tiphat:

JB98
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
The ONE thing I am wondering...Why the hell was Quentin not starting? This was supposed to be a no-Dunn week! I'm glad it didn't cost us, but still, hopefully he's sitting tomorrow.

Quentin is hitting something like .157 over the last two weeks. And his outs are GIDPs. At least Dunn has the courtesy to whiff and make only one out at a time.

LongLiveFisk
07-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Quentin is hitting something like .157 over the last two weeks. And his outs are GIDPs. At least Dunn has the courtesy to whiff and make only one out at a time.

:lol:

TaylorStSox
07-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm sorry Juan Pierre.

I am still waiting for that call to personally drive you back to Mobile to help kick off your retirement.

TDog
07-02-2011, 07:09 PM
A Saturday afternoon, listening to the game on the radio (ESPN nationally), the White Sox winning the game 1-0 on a walk, a sacrifice by the in-the-lineup pitcher and the first Sox hit of the game, what's not to love. Humber goes seven, comes out for a pinch-hitter, one of the competent relievers pitches two scoreless to finish the game. What's not to love? Just like they did it in 1967, except that the game was played at Wrigley Field.

The ESPN radio announcers (the Yankees-Mets were on television out here, and there were Yankee interviews going on when Thornton was setting down the Cubs in the ninth) were mystified as to why Guillen went out to Humber with two outs and none on in the seventh, but Humber let the Diamondbacks game get away from him with two outs and none on when he had a 1-0 lead against the Diamondbacks.

Humber pitched great and kept it together, especially considering how many of the hits the Cubs got on the infield. Dunn didn't hurt the team defensively in right, although he didn't bring the second White Sox run in from third with one out in the sixth. Thornton gave no Sox fan reason to be nervous.

If you have great pitching you don't need much hitting. And, as was the case yesterday, if Pierre drives in the winning run and doesn't hurt the team defensively, I don't care if he sucks.

ChiSoxGal85
07-02-2011, 07:11 PM
well, yes and no...Before today, in one or more of the last few games he played, he hit into double plays twice. I noticed because he actually hit the ball.

Unfortunately I misread this as Dunn might be close to getting back in the groove...apparently not. :angry:

34rancher
07-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Juan has been great the past week. And Phil has been the pickup of the year. Great job boys. Now let's win this division and move into the playoffs with this staff. Great pitching.

PeteWard
07-02-2011, 07:12 PM
The ESPN radio announcers (the Yankees-Mets were on television out here, and there were Yankee interviews going on when Thornton was setting down the Cubs in the ninth) were mystified as to why Guillen went out to Humber with two outs and none on in the seventh, but Humber let the Diamondbacks game get away from him with two outs and none on when he had a 1-0 lead against the Diamondbacks.

It should have been obvious. He was at 105 or so pitches which is also a season high. Ozzie just making sure he felt ok. ESPN. :rolleyes:

34rancher
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
It should have been obvious. He was at 105 or so pitches which is also a season high. Ozzie just making sure he felt ok. ESPN. :rolleyes:

My only question on that was garza was up with 2 outs. It's all good though. Great job Ozzie. 19/20 nl series

JermaineDye05
07-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Love it.

I know I haven't seen eye to eye with a lot of you lately.

However, in the end we are all Sox fans are we not?

This is long overdue.

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Foulke You
07-02-2011, 07:32 PM

No matter how much Garza stamps his feet and cries, that pitch to Pierre was still inside.
It was definitely a ball inside. Soto tried to frame it but the ump wasn't fooled. Also, the ump gave Garza a strike 3 call about 5 inches off the plate earlier in the game. Former Cub Karros was pretty annoying to listen to during the broadcast. He was whining the whole game about that neighborhood play where Beckham's foot wasn't on the base.

Tragg
07-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Shouldn't Humber get an all-star look?

Patrick134
07-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Probably won't make it based on name value and he got robbed of a couple of W's.

voodoochile
07-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Well ever since Ozzie ranted on Monday and benched Rios the Sox haven't lost. I think something similar happened earlier this year in Toronto, but maybe I'm just confused. Our idiot manager keeps the team focused and moving forward when many teams would have cracked and given up in early May or at least after that fateful series in Toronto. Yes, I'm being slightly facetious and yes I'm trolling the **** out of all the people who have been crying for Ozzie's head for lo these many weeks/months/years, but the facts remain, Ozzie's teams don't quit and they continue to plod forward month after month. No they don't always succeed but they do care and they do try.

Very impressive outing by the pitchers and literally just enough offense to make it hold up. Personally I'd have given the PTC to Humber, but I don't have an elephant gun so thats as far as I'll go and Pierre did drive in the only run of the game and he has been taking a major beating from all the resident geniuses, so what the heck, good job, Juan, make it 5 tomorrow.

hmmmm how do I type this, 0 games under or 0 games over? Well Detroit is already losing and the Reds haven't lost yet, so 3 games back as I type, start the climb to the division title and beyond tomorrow...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

PeteWard
07-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Probably won't make it based on name value and he got robbed of a couple of W's.

I would like to see him get the honor but I would also like to see him rested and focused on what will be the biggest trip of the year to date immediately after the break.

PeteWard
07-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Very impressive outing by the pitchers and literally just enough offense to make it hold up. Personally I'd have given the PTC to Humber, but I don't have an elephant gun so thats as far as I'll go and Pierre did drive in the only run of the game and he has been taking a major beating from all the resident geniuses, so what the heck, good job, Juan, make it 5 tomorrow.

Elephant gun? I don't understand. By the way, Cincy continues to let us down while SF shines for us again (though with Zito on the mound I would like to see 10 before I get comfy.)

Chez
07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Well done! You know, tipping your cap to the opposing pitcher doesn't feel so bad when we win!

Domeshot17
07-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Well ever since Ozzie ranted on Monday and benched Rios the Sox haven't lost. I think something similar happened earlier this year in Toronto, but maybe I'm just confused. Our idiot manager keeps the team focused and moving forward when many teams would have cracked and given up in early May or at least after that fateful series in Toronto. Yes, I'm being slightly facetious and yes I'm trolling the **** out of all the people who have been crying for Ozzie's head for lo these many weeks/months/years, but the facts remain, Ozzie's teams don't quit and they continue to plod forward month after month. No they don't always succeed but they do care and they do try.

hmmmm how do I type this, 0 games under or 0 games over? Well Detroit is already losing and the Reds haven't lost yet, so 3 games back as I type, start the climb to the division title and beyond tomorrow...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Huge game by Humber, he pitched his ass off.

In terms of Ozzie, We will see. We did this last year, and then we sputtered out and didn't make the playoffs. I really hope to not have a similar fate, but this being 43-43 and 3 out of first right now is hardly a great accomplishment by Ozzie. The best bet is to just watch it play out. We all know we can beat the National League, its time to beat the AL Central.

PeteWard
07-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Here's hoping the bats bust out tomorrow and set the tone for lots and lots of AL Central ball.

Meanwhile SF 6 - Det 0

Giants with 1st & 2nd and nobody out in the 3rd...

...and the rains come! :angry:

slavko
07-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Can't the pitch location be looked up on MLB.com? I'm curious, but it looked well inside.

Well done! You know, tipping your cap to the opposing pitcher doesn't feel so bad when we win!

Garza tipped his cap in the postgame. Kaplan did too. Thornton threw one slider in 2 innings, to K Castro. Nice game for him.

happydude
07-02-2011, 08:12 PM
It was definitely a ball inside. Soto tried to frame it but the ump wasn't fooled. Also, the ump gave Garza a strike 3 call about 5 inches off the plate earlier in the game. Former Cub Karros was pretty annoying to listen to during the broadcast. He was whining the whole game about that neighborhood play where Beckham's foot wasn't on the base.

Man, tell me about it. You expect that stuff from Hawk and Brenly but I was looking forward to a reprieve from the normal homer-ism during a national broadcast.

PeteWard
07-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Can't the pitch location be looked up on MLB.com? I'm curious, but it looked well inside.

No need. It wasn't even close but the ump gave Garza a K on Juan on a similar pitch earlier and expected the same gift again, I guess.

voodoochile
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Huge game by Humber, he pitched his ass off.

In terms of Ozzie, We will see. We did this last year, and then we sputtered out and didn't make the playoffs. I really hope to not have a similar fate, but this being 43-43 and 3 out of first right now is hardly a great accomplishment by Ozzie. The best bet is to just watch it play out. We all know we can beat the National League, its time to beat the AL Central.

No, we didn't do this last year. We went on a huge run against mediocre/bad teams to turn a failed season into one with some hope. The Sox have been steadily climbing since they hit rock bottom in early May with some very impressive road wins against good teams including a sweep of the best and hottest team in the AL in their park near the end of May.

The way the Sox have climbed back into things, the quality of competition and the logistics of the schedule played while making said climb have been completely different than last year.

voodoochile
07-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Elephant gun? I don't understand. By the way, Cincy continues to let us down while SF shines for us again (though with Zito on the mound I would like to see 10 before I get comfy.)

It's a running WSI joke. Any disputes with the PTC judge will be settled by an elephant gun duel with Daver regarless of whether he is the PTC judge that day or not.

soxlady8
07-02-2011, 08:29 PM
nice win.
Pierre has been playing better as of late !
.500 feels good !

Let us get a sweep tomorrow !

ShooterMcGavin
07-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Is that 3 consecutive, game-winning RBI hits by Juan Pierre? Wow Juan, take a bow.

I said in last night's postgame thread that I hope Crain and Santos get today off, and they did thanks to Humber's 7IP and Thornton's 2IP of scoreless pitching. Great job by Thornton going 2 innings today.

I think Humber is an All-Star.

hawkjt
07-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Such a weird day. 94 degrees with strong winds to right field at gametime,and I am thinking 13-11 type final score. Then inexplicably,after a few innnings,the wind shifts from the north,but the temps stay warm. Bottom line,it went from a hitters paradise to a pitchers paradise in a heartbeat.
With Garza,it would not have mattered...he was dominant. Humber was Houdini the first 4 innnings or so, and then settled in. I cannot explain how Humber gets it done,exactly,but so glad he does.
Sox caught a big break on the first double play,a little break on the second double play, and took advantage. 1st two months...no break like that.
Juan got a horrible called third strike,but one thing...their is no way that the ump could call that one 8 inches off the outside corner,and then call the one 4 inches off the plate inside a strike also...so the ump was 1 of 2.
Juan has had the magic stick the last week,with the tying run rbi on Wed,winning rbis on thursday,friday and saturday. That about equals the number of clutch hits with runners in scoring position for the whole team the prior 3 weeks of june.

Defense continues to shine...Morel needs to work on that throw to second tho.Gordo is nails tough turning the dplays. Humber gave Dunn the day off out in right...thankfully.

Now, can we please break out vs Lopez tomorrow? The guy does not have Garza stuff.:D:

soxfanatlanta
07-02-2011, 08:49 PM
After a very, terribly long winter, the season finally starts.

Crooked Number
07-02-2011, 08:50 PM

The guys on the score were just talking about this. Some nuggets:

Quentin's homerless streak is up to 19 games (i think) and had 6 rbi in june. Dunn's last hr was June 12. He batted .135 in June.

The Sox bullpen in 16 1/3 innings against the cubs have yielded zero runs.

Someone said the Sox may have championship pitching. If it remains close to this I would agree. If somehow the offense can start hitting the ball it could be a really exciting second half. Im looking at you Rios, Quentin, Dunn, and to a lesser extent Gordon. Heck if just two of them start hitting it would do wonders.

hawkjt
07-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Quentin's homerless streak is up to 19 games (i think) and had 6 rbi in june. Dunn's last hr was June 12. He batted .135 in June.

The Sox bullpen in 16 1/3 innings against the cubs have yielded zero runs.

Someone said the Sox may have championship pitching. If it remains close to this I would agree. If somehow the offense can start hitting the ball it could be a really exciting second half. Im looking at you Rios, Quentin, Dunn, and to a lesser extent Gordon. Heck if just two of them start hitting it would do wonders.

I heard that also. Gordo was hitting .235 over that stretch also,but seems to be heating up a bit. Carlos has been ice cold,but at least he has built up some numbers so he can weather a slump for awhile,but he does need to pop out of it.

Thankfully,AJ,Juan,PK,and Alexei(kind of) and even Morel..have kept us afloat. Morel seems to have taken to the #2 slot...love his right field inside out swing in that spot.

sullythered
07-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Garza was very good today. Humber was not at his best but the defense was good and Humber hung tough. Really good team win.

It says a lot when you are not at your best and you give up no runs.

Daver
07-02-2011, 09:26 PM
It says a lot when you are not at your best and you give up no runs.

It says the seven guys behind him are doing their job.

Zakath
07-02-2011, 09:57 PM

17 games that he's appeared in, 20 total for the team. Last home run came in the 7-4 loss to Seattle on June 8. He had 13 RBI in June, but only 4 since June 8.

The stats on Dunn are correct.

Soxman219
07-02-2011, 10:44 PM
BP CROSSTOWN CUP CHAMPS!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

!:happybday:):bandance::bandance::bandance::gulp:: gulp::gulp:

It's time to take the AL Central crown. The Sox are the most talented team in the division, time to show it.

PeteWard
07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
It says the seven guys behind him are doing their job.

The defense has been great and the Sox are right near the top now in fielding pct.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Spent all afternoon cleaning out the shed, checked the scores about 5:30 MST and was very happy to see the win.

Very nice to get back to mediocrity isn't it? And that's not a sarcastic rip.

Considering they were 11 under in early May that's quite an accomplishment.

The question is can they keep it going or will they peter out again down the stretch like in 2010, 2009 (after Buehrle's perfect game) and in 2008 (where they blew a sizable lead the final week and had to get unexpected help from the Royals beating the Twins to put the Sox in position where they controlled their own destiny - which to their credit they did.) And they simply HAVE GOT TO start winning games in the division or they're dead-meat.

I think Floyd goes against some unknown Sunday. Considering Floyd hasn't pitched well the last month, it could be tough to get the sweep, but it sure would be nice.

And speaking of "sweep" history shows that when it comes to doing it against the Cubs it's very, very difficult (and frustrating.)

From the start of the interleague series between the two teams (1997) through this weekend, the Sox have now had 13 opportunities for a sweep. (In 11 cases they won the first two games of a three game set, one time they won the first game of a shortened two game set due to rain and we don't know yet what is going to happen Sunday.)

In the 12 previous opportunities for a sweep the Sox were only able to get it twice...one at Wrigley and once at U.S. Cellular Field.

The four game win streak matches the longest of the year and considering the offense overall is still in a funk (41 times in the 84 games they've scored three runs or less...) you have to be thankful they are at least back to .500 and within striking distance. IF, repeat IF the offense ever wakes up and gets it going it could be a fun second half.

Lip

MetroPD
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Great pitching by Humber today with good help in the field behind him. With that being said, something has to be done about Dunn. There is no excuse for his play and why he remains in the line up. I realize he has a big contract but he contributes nothing.

Zakath
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
The defense has been great and the Sox are right near the top now in fielding pct.

.987, basically tied for 2nd with 4 other teams behind the Phillies, 42 errors in 3192 total chances.

Unfortunately, the fielding stats also include the stolen base data, and we're 28th in MLB in throwing out runners (only the Angels and Astros are worse). The Nasty Nats lead the league, holding runners to a 57% success rate.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Metro:

Because the Sox are not the Yankees or Boston and can afford to "eat" a deal of that size particularly when it is in its first year. That's the reality of things...they have GOT to play him to try to get him out of this slump.

I would suspect next season Dunn will conduct himself differently in the off season to get himself ready and mentally he'll probably be better equiped to deal with the whole DH thing.

Until then, 'it is what it is...'

Lip

KenBerryGrab
07-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Juan mo' time!

FielderJones
07-02-2011, 11:57 PM
It's a running WSI joke. Any disputes with the PTC judge will be settled by an elephant gun duel with Daver regarless of whether he is the PTC judge that day or not.

The distance is 1000 yards, is it not? I think that gives you time to dodge the bullet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzRPJvusR9A) as long as Daver doesn't have a flash suppressor.

07-02-2011, 11:59 PM

But only by a little!

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=490063&game=gid_2011_07_02_chamlb_chnmlb_1&batterX=38&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

cards press box
07-02-2011, 11:59 PM

Yes, he absolutely should. Among AL pitchers, Phil Humber is 5th in WHIP, 5th in average against and 7th in ERA. That is outstanding.

And due to Humber's strong pitching, the Sox' strong defense and timely hitting once again from Juan Pierre,

:winner

Well ever since Ozzie ranted on Monday and benched Rios the Sox haven't lost. I think something similar happened earlier this year in Toronto, but maybe I'm just confused. Our idiot manager keeps the team focused and moving forward when many teams would have cracked and given up in early May or at least after that fateful series in Toronto.

Fair point. Earlier in the year, I wasn't sure if Ozzie had the pulse of his club. It is now clear to me that he does.

Ozzie always seems to know when his team needs a pat on the back or a kick in the behind. Whitey Herzog's great skill as a manager was giving his teams what they needed and not necessarily what they wanted. Ozzie seems to have those same practical people skills with his players.

HomeFish
07-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Remind me again of Konerko's contract status: he is an FA at the end of 2011 yes?

If so, perhaps Dunn can return to 1B next year.

Daver
07-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Remind me again of Konerko's contract status: he is an FA at the end of 2011 yes?

If so, perhaps Dunn can return to 1B next year.

Konerko is signed through 2012.

cards press box
07-03-2011, 12:12 AM
I thought that Konerko signed a three-year deal. That would take him through 2013.

Chi Dye
07-03-2011, 12:14 AM
2013, indeed.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

Noneck
07-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Paul is locked up through 2013.

11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$13.5M

thomas35forever
07-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Who needs offense when you've got Humber and Thornton?

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2011, 01:04 AM

If so, perhaps Dunn can return to 1B next year.Dunn at first would be a significant downgrade in every way possible.

ChiSoxGirl
07-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Hello, .500! :bliss: Let's hope yesterday was the last time we'll see the wrong side of that mark this season!

I was pleased to see Thornton pitch not one, but two shutout innings in relief. Sometimes he has a tendency to fall apart in that second inning, but not this afternoon.

As per usual, Humber was awesome. When he broke camp with the team, I had no idea who the guy was or where he came from. What he has done for the rotation has been nothing shy of spectacular. He has filled in for Peavy -- and now Danks -- in ways many of us didn't think were possible. That dude seriously deserves an All-Star nod, or at least serious consideration for it.

Daver
07-03-2011, 01:19 AM
The distance is 1000 yards, is it not? I think that gives you time to dodge the bullet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzRPJvusR9A) as long as Daver doesn't have a flash suppressor.

It's a thousand paces, which is roughly 2500 yards. I can hit a six inch target at that range.

HomeFish
07-03-2011, 01:32 AM
How did Cub fans react when the Sox hoisted the BP Cup at their stadium?

Nelfox02
07-03-2011, 01:50 AM
second game in a row where I caught about 90% of it on the radio....have to admit the Farmio/DJ cast is starting to grow on me a bit....I mean I like Stone but its getting to the point where I just cant Hawk. I think someone mentioned that Karros was on the game call for Fox today? Hurl, glad I did not have to listen to him trying to verbally will the Cubs onto a victory all game......

these 1 run games are agonizing....but a lot of fun drama at the same time, u are hanging on every pitch.

Humber another great game.....6 nice outs for Matt, thought the K on Castro was huge....a walk or base hit brings up Sox Killer A Ram with a chance to give the Flubs the lead......

again tho...what is with the inability to knock in a man from third with less than 2 out? uncanny. Dunn...I understand he has to play, but hitting third?

Sox always have difficulty with a sweep, and as Lip pointed out its rare to get one vs the Flubs...but with Lopez going tomorrow, might be one of the best chances we've ever had

nice W today.......keep it rolling

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2011, 01:52 AM
It's a thousand paces, which is roughly 2500 yards. I can hit a six inch target at that range.
You have a 2.5 yard pace? Holy crap, you're Paul Bunyan!

doublem23
07-03-2011, 01:57 AM
Dunn at first would be a significant downgrade in every way possible.

Yes, at least now he only brings this team down in 1 facet of the game. I can only imagine where some of Alexei's throws would end up with Dunn over there.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Yes, at least now he only brings this team down in 1 facet of the game. I can only imagine where some of Alexei's throws would end up with Dunn over there.Yep, Paulie's a three-tool player. He hits for average, hits for power, and plays defense. Dunn WAS a one-tool player, and now he's not even doing that.

Foulke You
07-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Spent all afternoon cleaning out the shed, checked the scores about 5:30 MST and was very happy to see the win.

Very nice to get back to mediocrity isn't it? And that's not a sarcastic rip.

Considering they were 11 under in early May that's quite an accomplishment.

The question is can they keep it going or will they peter out again down the stretch like in 2010, 2009 (after Buehrle's perfect game) and in 2008 (where they blew a sizable lead the final week and had to get unexpected help from the Royals beating the Twins to put the Sox in position where they controlled their own destiny - which to their credit they did.) And they simply HAVE GOT TO start winning games in the division or they're dead-meat.

I think Floyd goes against some unknown Sunday. Considering Floyd hasn't pitched well the last month, it could be tough to get the sweep, but it sure would be nice.

And speaking of "sweep" history shows that when it comes to doing it against the Cubs it's very, very difficult (and frustrating.)

From the start of the interleague series between the two teams (1997) through this weekend, the Sox have now had 13 opportunities for a sweep. (In 11 cases they won the first two games of a three game set, one time they won the first game of a shortened two game set due to rain and we don't know yet what is going to happen Sunday.)

In the 12 previous opportunities for a sweep the Sox were only able to get it twice...one at Wrigley and once at U.S. Cellular Field.

The four game win streak matches the longest of the year and considering the offense overall is still in a funk (41 times in the 84 games they've scored three runs or less...) you have to be thankful they are at least back to .500 and within striking distance. IF, repeat IF the offense ever wakes up and gets it going it could be a fun second half.

Lip
Beat me to the punch on some crosstown history there Lip. The only time the Sox swept the Cubs at Wrigley Field was indeed in 1999. I remember that game pretty well because there was a lengthy rain delay and 80% of the crowd left the ballpark only to not be admitted back in when the game unexpectedly got under way several hours later. (Many fans came out of the local bars with their ticket stubs in hopes of getting back in the ballpark) The remaining few thousand fans of each team huddled behind each of their respective dugouts for the end of the game while the rest of Wrigley was now completely empty including 95% of the bleacher seats. Slap hitting Sox SS Mike Caruso connected on a 2 run HR to RF off of Cubs closer Rick Aguilera in the top of the 8th that landed right in the basket. It was totally unexpected because Caruso had very little power to speak of but on a warm day at Wrigley and the wind blowing, just about anyone in baseball can get one out there. When you see highlights of that Caruso basket HR, there is almost nobody in the stands to go after the ball in the basket because of the long delay. It was a perfect ending to that series and sweet revenge for the sweep we suffered there in 1998. The Cubs were in first place at the time but went into a tailspin immediately following that series and never recovered on their way to a 95 loss season.

rcescato
07-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Great job Humber and Thornton!!!

4 in a row and .500 BABY!!!!!

Also, I just can't say enough about Phil Humber and how much he's done for this team. Another former 1st round pick post-hype reclamation project by Coop. Keep it rolling Phiily, you should be in the All-Star game -- but will probably get ripped off and not make it.

I dont know if any Sox players will make it. I know one will but that would piss off all Yankees and Red Sox fans because only those 2 teams deserve all-stars nobody else counts. :whiner:

kufram
07-03-2011, 03:56 AM

That is one incredibly small elephant!

gosox41
07-03-2011, 10:29 AM
konerko is signed through 2012.

soxfanreggie
07-03-2011, 10:33 AM
How did Cub fans react when the Sox hoisted the BP Cup at their stadium?

"Well, at least we don't have to find a closet for this ugly thing..."

SOXSINCE'70
07-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, at least now he only brings this team down in 1 facet of the game. I can only imagine where some of Alexei's throws would end up with Dunn over there.

Be prepared. Ozzie said Dunn might play 1st Sunday
to give Konerko a day off.:gah:Just remember to brush your foot against the first base bag when turning a double play, Adam.PLEASE!!:praying:

Brian26
07-03-2011, 12:08 PM

That is one incredibly small elephant!

Daver can hit a 6" elephant from roughly 1.4 miles away. He's "the most interesting man in the universe" (tm). :D: