PDA

View Full Version : 7.5

voodoochile
08-07-2001, 07:57 AM
Games back...

Like I said... all we have to do is hang around... the ALC leaders will come to us...

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Games back...

Like I said... all we have to do is hang around... the ALC leaders will come to us...

:reinsy
Yeah we can catch Minnesota and the Tribe!

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 08:20 AM
ya never know........

Bucktown
08-07-2001, 08:46 AM
7.5 games won't even take a miracle. I am sticking with this team until the end. Besides what else is there to do?

Hopefully the change in scenery will give Carlos a little Hawthorne Effect. I am predicting a 3 for 4 night with a dinger.

The thing I like about this time of the season is every loss floods the board with posts like "stick a fork in it." And every win brings renewed optimism. Its human nature I am riding up and down with the entire board.

Lets get these Angels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I won't say 'done' until it is mathematically so."

danman31
08-07-2001, 05:09 PM
7.5 games won't even take a miracle. I am sticking with this team until the end. Besides what else is there to do?

I agree. You could root against the Cubs.

Mathew
08-07-2001, 05:13 PM
I already jumped off the bandwagon as of Sunday, so any magical playoff run made now will be greatfully honored, without my endorsement.

voodoochile
08-07-2001, 08:37 PM
Cleveland is stomping Minnesota, so when the Sox beat Annaheim, they will probably be 6.5 out...

I know I know... we're at the dreaded .500 mark... maybe if I say please...

"Pretty, pretty, pretty pleeeeeeeze... uhhhh... with brown sugar on top? And Ice cream too..."

voodoochile
08-07-2001, 08:40 PM
I already jumped off the bandwagon as of Sunday, so any magical playoff run made now will be greatfully honored, without my endorsement.

Well, boy did you post this on the wrong site...

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, scrubs fan...

On second thought go ahead, a little pain in the ass will remind you of all the fun you are missing... Don't come crawling back next year either...

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

Matthew, i hope i am misunderstanding this post, becaude i was under the impression you were a real sox fan??

Tragg
08-07-2001, 08:43 PM
They may come back, but they'll leave us again if we don't beat them when we play them.

Mathew
08-08-2001, 11:01 AM
Hold on there! I had a thread Sunday called time ti shoot ol' yeller in which I said that we were done this year, therefore I can't claim to believe we have a chance or I'd be a hypocrite. I'm still watching even though I think we're done this year that's like Sox fans every year. I was trying to say that if they come back it's cause they didn't listen to me, hence the I didn't endorce any magical comeback thing.

delben91
08-08-2001, 12:35 PM
Hold on there! I had a thread Sunday called time ti shoot ol' yeller in which I said that we were done this year, therefore I can't claim to believe we have a chance or I'd be a hypocrite. I'm still watching even though I think we're done this year that's like Sox fans every year. I was trying to say that if they come back it's cause they didn't listen to me, hence the I didn't endorce any magical comeback thing.

Good to hear we didn't lose you there Mathew, I think everyone just misunderstood the context of your post. Most of us try to have short memories and can't even remember posts from an hour ago

:)

Mathew
08-08-2001, 12:41 PM
Guy throws down 160 posts, then gets called a scrubs fan. Yikes!

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 12:48 PM
Guy throws down 160 posts, then gets called a scrubs fan. Yikes!

your post was misleading and i cant blame voodoo for his comments...

Mathew
08-08-2001, 01:28 PM
Well I do! Me and this scrubs fan challenge him to a cage match!
:canseco

After that we want Holyfield!!!

voodoochile
08-08-2001, 01:45 PM
The expression, "Jump off the Bandwagon" got me upset. I was trtying to make a point... If you jump off of this bandwagon, it implies you jumped ON the bandwagon. If you then jump off it, then you are free to jump on another one... of which there is only one other in town, and it is rolling along (unfortunately).

I apologize for refering to you as a Scrubs fan...

Jose, you, me, cage? Not gonna' happen... I'm allergic to really large well musceled men and confined spaces...

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 01:46 PM
This is what really pi$$e$ me off about this organization. It did not take a genius two weeks ago to see that Minnesota was collapsing and Cleveland would have put Herb Score back out there if they thought he could get them into the fourth inning....and what do we do? We trade away Baldwin for absolutely nothing - Hell we would have gotten a compensation pick if he flew the coup at the end of the year via free agency.

If Kenny Williams would have made even some minor moves to improve this club (or done nothing), we would be closer than 7 1/2 out. Take Baldwin's two good outings for LA and give them to the White Sox.....Are we then 5 1/2 out? And if we are then who would count us out? There is almost two months left - we can still take this division considering the two teams we're chasing.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
This is what really pi$$e$ me off about this organization. It did not take a genius two weeks ago to see that Minnesota was collapsing and Cleveland would have put Herb Score back out there if they thought he could get them into the fourth inning....and what do we do? We trade away Baldwin for absolutely nothing - Hell we would have gotten a compensation pick if he flew the coup at the end of the year via free agency.

If Kenny Williams would have made even some minor moves to improve this club (or done nothing), we would be closer than 7 1/2 out. Take Baldwin's two good outings for LA and give them to the White Sox.....Are we then 5 1/2 out? And if we are then who would count us out? There is almost two months left - we can still take this division considering the two teams we're chasing.

ummmmmmmmm Dan Wright replaced Baldwin and is 2-0. THink before you write...

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 01:52 PM
So let's say we actually do something proactive and replace Kip Wells (who has looked deader than a doornail for the past few starts) with Wright, and keep Baldwin.

As far as "thinking before I write"...I won't even dignify that with a response.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 01:54 PM
So let's say we actually do something proactive and replace Kip Wells (who has looked deader than a doornail for the past few starts) with Wright, and keep Baldwin.

As far as "thinking before I write"...I won't even dignify that with a response.

dude have you seen baldwin pitch? he sucks. He wouldnt have helped us one bit.....

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 02:00 PM
Yes I've seen Baldwin pitch and although he's not a Steve Carlton, I would certainly rather have him in the rotation than I would Wells, Baldwin, Lowe or Wright. Are we trying to chase down teams or dreams these days? Baldwin has been a clutch performer for the White Sox down the stretch the past few years - don't discount that experience come crunch time.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 02:09 PM
Yes I've seen Baldwin pitch and although he's not a Steve Carlton, I would certainly rather have him in the rotation than I would Wells, Baldwin, Lowe or Wright. Are we trying to chase down teams or dreams these days? Baldwin has been a clutch performer for the White Sox down the stretch the past few years - don't discount that experience come crunch time.

ummmmm in case you hadnt noticed, the sox are an AVERAGE team right now. They arent making the playoffs, with of without Baldwin. GEEZ

Mathew
08-08-2001, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The expression, "Jump off the Bandwagon" got me upset. I was trtying to make a point... If you jump off of this bandwagon, it implies you jumped ON the bandwagon. If you then jump off it, then you are free to jump on another one... of which there is only one other in town, and it is rolling along (unfortunately).

I apologize for refering to you as a Scrubs fan...

Jose, you, me, cage? Not gonna' happen... I'm allergic to really large well musceled men and confined spaces...

I've never had any other team in my life, I mentioned bandwagon in reference to the we have a chance/don't have a chance bandwagon, it seems every time we win everyone posts that we have a chance and after every loss we all give up. I was optimistic untill Sunday when I dove into pessimism. But I don't think any of us really give up. If we put a streak together we'd all come crawling back even those who "gave up". I can't be a fussin' and a feudin', I love you guys. :)

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 02:30 PM
At what point Bmr31 is it okay to call it quits on a season? 7 1/2 out with two months to go?

Yes they are an average team, but nodoby is going to mistake the Indians and Twins for the 1927 Yankees either. If they had kept Baldwin and acquired Jason Schmidt (who went cheaply)- I guarantee you they would have made an incredibly serious run at these two teams.

I'll be the first one to admit that it will be tough to close this gap - but it can still be done. Having a couple of classy starters would make it that much easier.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 02:33 PM
At what point Bmr31 is it okay to call it quits on a season? 7 1/2 out with two months to go?

Yes they are an average team, but nodoby is going to mistake the Indians and Twins for the 1927 Yankees either. If they had kept Baldwin and acquired Jason Schmidt (who went cheaply)- I guarantee you they would have made an incredibly serious run at these two teams.

I'll be the first one to admit that it will be tough to close this gap - but it can still be done. Having a couple of classy starters would make it that much easier.

games out mean nothing. The sox have average talent at best, right now

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 02:41 PM
Other than Seattle and New York - I really don't see any other rosters in the major leagues that make my knees weak, especially in our division. Minnesota is too young and raw - they'll fold in a tough spot, and Cleveland celebrates the fact that a 42 year old Chuck Finley is making progress in a AA rehab start. Yes we are average, but our pitching could have been much better than those we're chasing - and we have two months to go.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 02:44 PM
Other than Seattle and New York - I really don't see any other rosters in the major leagues that make my knees weak, especially in our division. Minnesota is too young and raw - they'll fold in a tough spot, and Cleveland celebrates the fact that a 42 year old Chuck Finley is making progress in a AA rehab start. Yes we are average, but our pitching could have been much better than those we're chasing - and we have two months to go.

I do agree that minnesota and cleveland are not great teams. However, the sox are gonna finish around .500, with or without Baldwin. I think that has been my point. .500 isnt going to win any division.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2001, 02:58 PM
KingX, I think the time to call a team out of it for good is when they get to the .500 mark about a billion times and NEVER win the "big game" to push them over the hump.

The Sox may have sniffed 6.5 games back once or twice recently, but otherwise they've been plain mediocre. The only reason they're still "in it" is because the Tribe and Twins have sucked so bad lately.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
KingX, I think the time to call a team out of it for good is when they get to the .500 mark about a billion times and NEVER win the "big game" to push them over the hump.

The Sox may have sniffed 6.5 games back once or twice recently, but otherwise they've been plain mediocre. The only reason they're still "in it" is because the Tribe and Twins have sucked so bad lately.

Thanks cheeses, i couldnt have said it better.

delben91
08-08-2001, 03:07 PM
King, I admire your optimism sir, and you're right, we should've had the chance to overtake Cleveland and Minnesota. But, I have another fear, and after seeing the baldwin trade, it was magnified, I don't know that I'd trust Kenny to pull off a trade for a decent player. I mean, I wish he'd deal some of our pitching prospects, of which we have a plethora for a leadoff hitter, or a starting catcher, or if it's deemed necessary, a veteran starter. But he's been pretty hit (Eyre for Glover) or miss (most everything else) with his deals.

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 03:08 PM
I think we all understand what eachother is saying. I don't argue the fact that the White Sox have treated the .500 mark like an accomplishment unto itself, but if they don't win the division this season I will forever remember it as the year that management refused to give them the "bump" that all sucessful teams get in late July. I will always believe that a couple of relatively minor acquisitions could have made a huge difference for the last couple of months. They didn't do it, and we'll see how things go over the course of the rest of the season.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2001, 03:18 PM
Part of me concurs with that sentiment.

However, I think all of us know that with healthy players, this team is loaded for 2002, and WILL compete next year in the truest sense of the word.

2001 just wasn't the Sox's year.

Mathew
08-08-2001, 03:20 PM
I was gonna jump in earlier and say that you guys won't agree on this one. I think they are,were and have been one winning streak away from being in it. I think their problems are so deep it's not going to get corrected in time. ie. swinging for the fence, not showing the heart needed to get to the next level, medeority against good teams.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2001, 03:26 PM
There have been so many crucial series this year where, in retrospect, all the Sox had to do was at least compete (.500), and they'd still be just a handful of games out of it. But in EVERY series, they choked. Cleveland, Minnesota, Boston, and now Anaheim. Man. Depressing.

Let's hope that the coaching staff schools these boys in some fundamental baseball before next season starts -- more walks, more sac. bunts, more stolen bases, less swinging for the fences, more singles, etc. etc. If they keep that crap up next year, they'll finish 3rd again.

Joel Perez
08-08-2001, 04:55 PM
The Sox made a huge push in June to make up ground for the race, which made them go from 15 1/2 games back to 7.5 games back. No small task.

Now, they hover at .500.

A poll then should be, "Do the Sox have what it takes to make a run at the Wild Card?"

With 60+ games left, I say we do. We may do it, we may not.

But I do know one thing--and take this for what it's worth.

It's up to the Chicago White Sox to strap it on and take on all opponents as if they were the Cubs. They need to have that mentality. IMO--they don't show as much passion as a team when they battle the likes of Tampa, Anaheim, Boston, etal. Something happens that it appears IMO that they want things to come to them instead of being the "firestarters" and start a little somethin'. It's as if they don't have a killer instinct.

I didn't see that in the TB games, didn't see it in the Boston games, and I didn't see it last night. They can win at home, but on the road, it's a different story. It appears that they just want to get this game over with instead of becoming like a :manos and saying "let's kill them all".

Until they have a big winning streak, IMO the Sox have the lineup to make a run. But their character is similiar to the Blackhawks--all talent, no results.

And it's maddening.

ma-gaga
08-08-2001, 06:18 PM
51 games left. They need to do extremely well and hope that both Minny and Cleveland beat each other up.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2001, 06:49 PM
Hey, if you're a Sox Fan you stick with them right to the bitter end. However, you don't have to put your brain in "idle" and follow along like sheep. That's for Flubs fans to do!

Had we beaten Minnesota back in June/July and take care of business last month against Cleveland and Boston, we would be right in the middle of both the wild card and division championship races.

None of that happened. We can still pull this out by getting hot and lucky. Minnesota and Cleveland each have major holes in their game.

Speaking strictly from a practical standpoint, we're better off getting this team ready to compete in 2002. The next eight weeks offer a lot of time to give the kids an extended look.

Jerry_Manuel
08-08-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The next eight weeks offer a lot of time to give the kids an extended look.

:hitless
Are you calling me a kid?