PDA

View Full Version : Peavy comments

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2011, 06:15 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20110701&content_id=21250604&notebook_id=21250606&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

I think he said this once before, it looks like the guys are taking heed.
PK leads by his play, I think Peavy can be the vocal leader.
I like what he says about Edmonds when he was with the Cardinals.

Zakath
07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
"pours" for "pores"? :scratch:

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2011, 06:20 PM
"pours" for "pores"? :scratch:

What do you want from a sportswriter?

Jpgr91
07-01-2011, 06:28 PM
It's tough to be a vocal leader when you are on the DL.

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
It's tough to be a vocal leader when you are on the DL.

Lets hope he stays healthy the rest of his time with the Sox.
When he is healthy as Ozzie said the guy is a bulldog.

TDog
07-01-2011, 07:06 PM

I have never considered a sports-related vocation as an excuse for poor communication skills.

SI1020
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I have never considered a sports-related vocation as an excuse for poor communication skills. No offense to JB, one of my favorite posters here, but the quality of print journalism has nosedived.

JB98
07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
No offense to JB, one of my favorite posters here, but the quality of print journalism has nosedived.

No offense taken. You're right. The quality has nosedived, and there are numerous reasons for it. However, that is a different thread.

TDog
07-01-2011, 07:39 PM
No offense to JB, one of my favorite posters here, but the quality of print journalism has nosedived.

And it's still light-years ahead of everything else. Although with sports, just showing the games makes the quality of reporting irrelevant.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Talk tough and maybe nobody will notice your 4.5 ERA over the last two years.

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2011, 08:01 PM

My comment was not directed to anyone on this board, more to the likes of people like Cowley.
If I offended anyone, I apologize.

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Talk tough and maybe nobody will notice your 4.5 ERA over the last two years.

He is 14-7 in a Sox uniform and in fairness to him especially last year we don't know how much that muscle detachment was bothering him before he completely blew it out.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
He is 14-7 in a Sox uniform and in fairness to him especially last year we don't know how much that muscle detachment was bothering him before he completely blew it out.

Oh boy 14 wins (and mid 4 ERA) from a guy acquired 7/31/09. He hardly has standing to imply his teammates want to win less than he does. Predictably, the writer eats up Peavy's hooting and hollering while he's beating crappy teams.

Chi Dye
07-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Oh boy 14 wins (and mid 4 ERA) from a guy acquired 7/31/09. He hardly has standing to imply his teammates want to win less than he does. Predictably, the writer eats up Peavy's hooting and hollering while he's beating crappy teams.

"We have to find a way to play with a little more fire, a little more desire to win. I'm not saying there aren't guys on this team who really want to win. But we need to get it in our blood. When we are at Wrigley Field, we have to flat out want to win more than the Cubs. It's oozing out your pours. It will take a team with the talent like we have over the top."

Seriously, just read this. :shrug: Jake is being the leader the White Sox don't have. Every time the Sox play the Twins, threads are filled with posts about how the players give up before the series even begins and that the Twins go for their throats. Is it so wrong for Peavy to want his teammates to go the extra mile and believe in themselves? So what if he's an MVP or about to be DFA'd? The point is that the players need to be motivated and Ozzie can't be the only one who speaks. It's time for the Sox to toughen up and not tip their caps. I could have sworn that was the consensus around here.

Oh, and a mid 4 ERA still equates to 6 innings, 3 ER. Also known as a quality start. It's not ace material when averaged out, but he hardly has no standing to speak.

ChiSoxGal85
07-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I think it's great that Peavy's trying to inject some intensity into the team, and I like how he's done it.

It's not like Peavy just joined the team and came barging in the next day declaring that the Sox needed to get fired up. He's been with the team for a year and a half now (albeit a good portion on the DL). But he's been back most of this season. By now, the players must know how he is -- he's an intense competitor and he wants to win.

And Peavy didn't personally call out anyone for slacking off or not being intense enough.

I love Paulie, but he's admittedly a quiet leader. I think there's a hole there that Peavy can fill, that of the guy that can get them fired up when they need it. And it seems to me that Jake is trying to do that without stepping on Paul's (or any of the other veteran's) toes.

Daver
07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh, and a mid 4 ERA still equates to 6 innings, 3 ER. Also known as a quality start. It's not ace material when averaged out, but he hardly has no standing to speak.

Quality start is almost at the very top of useless stats.

Chi Dye
07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Quality start is almost at the very top of useless stats.

Then mention that in the next post-game thread where people whine about how many quality start games the Sox have lost.

MetroPD
07-01-2011, 10:43 PM
quality starts are great if your team actually produces behind you. Look at Danks, he recieves little to no support and yet he is a quality pitcher.

Chi Dye
07-01-2011, 10:59 PM
True, my only point is that a 4.50 ERA for a starting pitcher isn't as terrible as it looks. Peavy's game against Detroit a few weeks ago (4 innings, 6 ER) that he left early and landed him on the DL did his stats no favor. Given more innings, I think he'll bring it down and show us the Jake Peavy the Sox traded for.

Now beyond the stats and terms, I really just like that Peavy wants to win. I think it sends a great message and it's what every fan on this board wants. An above .500 team that will finally stop giving away games to the central. :gulp:

kufram
07-02-2011, 04:21 AM
What Peavy said is exactly correct. I read it as an encouragement as opposed to a criticism.

MikeKreevich
07-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I really thought this thread would evolve into a discussion containing readers opinions as to which Sox players needed a mental makeover. Here is a Peavey quote from the Daryl Van Schowen story in the July 1, Chicago Sun Times:
“It” would be all things baseball-dirty, mean and nasty, Peavy said. Leave nothing for granted for nine innings every night. The Sox’
$127 million worth of talent won’t be enough to get the job done. It’s time to be Team Mean.
So who is too nice? Who needs a makeover?

DrCrawdad
07-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I really thought this thread would evolve into a discussion containing readers opinions as to which Sox players needed a mental makeover. Here is a Peavy quote from the Daryl Van Schowen story in the July 1, Chicago Sun Times:

“It” would be all things baseball-dirty, mean and nasty, Peavy said. Leave nothing for granted for nine innings every night. The Sox’
$127 million worth of talent won’t be enough to get the job done. It’s time to be Team Mean.

So who is too nice? Who needs a makeover?

I agree.

Let's start from the top. PK is our best player. He's great but I'd have to say he's probably a very nice guy. Does PK need a make over? I don't know if I'd want to suggest any changes that might risk making him less effective.

Outside of PK though, what I want is to see are more wins. Win this series with the Cubs. Then go ahead and kick some AL Central butt. That's what I'm talking about! And I do think playing with a bit more edge will help. And if Adam Dunn is barreling down the line with a Twins defender nearby, I want to see Dunn use that (former) football body and flatten a Twin or two.

#1swisher
07-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Peavys' style of motivation. :cool:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110701&content_id=21250604&notebook_id=21250606&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

October26
07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Peavys' style of motivation. :cool:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110701&content_id=21250604&notebook_id=21250606&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

:thumbsup:

I love Jake Peavy + "Dirtbags" = White sox winners! GO SOX!