PDA

View Full Version : This will make you ****ing hurl

doublem23
07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
WTTW will be airing a new documentary this month entitled Chicago Cubs: The Heart and Soul of Chicago.

:chunks

thomas35forever
07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Yawn. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Viva Medias B's
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I wonder if WTTW will have a number of Sox fans not renew their memberships in the wake of this,

spawn
07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
What a joke.

SI1020
07-01-2011, 01:19 PM
So are they saying Chicago has no heart and a tainted soul?

Hitmen77
07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Yawn. Nothing to see here. Move along.

What a joke.

Seriously.

:rolling:

spawn
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
:thumbsup:

Frontman
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Meh. This should surprise no one.

MARTINMVP
07-01-2011, 01:51 PM
It all likely boils down to economics. The Cubs have the larger fan base (what that fan base consists of is a separate debate), while the team is surrounded by a bunch of bad luck and controversy. Also helping is that the 100 year drought is a story that is easy to tell and interesting (that championship drought had to be good for something...). While airing the documentary they will probably ask for donations throughout - in return for X amount of dollars, you'll get the documentary on DVD, a Cubs book, a Cubs grill cover, a Cubs golf towel, and maybe a Cubs flask.

spawn
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
It all likely boils down to economics. The Cubs have the larger fan base (what that fan base consists of is a separate debate), while the team is surrounded by a bunch of bad luck and controversy. Also helping is that the 100 year drought is a story that is easy to tell and interesting (that championship drought had to be good for something...). While airing the documentary they will probably ask for donations throughout - in return for X amount of dollars, you'll get the documentary on DVD, a Cubs book, a Cubs towel, and some other misc. Cubbie item.
As far as the baseball teams go, you're probably right. But if there is a team in this city that is its heart and soul, it would be the Bears.

doublem23
07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
As far as the baseball teams go, you're probably right. but if there is a team in this city that is its heart and soul, it would be the Bears.

Absolutely. The Sox, Cubs, Hawks, and Bulls all have their little niches, but there is one team in Chicago that is universally revered and that's the Bears.

It all likely boils down to economics. The Cubs have the larger fan base (what that fan base consists of is a separate debate), while the team is surrounded by a bunch of bad luck and controversy. Also helping is that the 100 year drought is a story that is easy to tell and interesting (that championship drought had to be good for something...). While airing the documentary they will probably ask for donations throughout - in return for X amount of dollars, you'll get the documentary on DVD, a Cubs book, a Cubs grill cover, a Cubs golf towel, and maybe a Cubs flask.

That is true, and I don't care that they're pandering to the crowd with the documentary, it's just the title is stupid and, as a Chicagoan, kind of insulting.

PaleHoser
07-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Yet another reminder that WTTW is short for "Winnetka Talking To Wilmette".

The sad thing is that it was probably funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which means my hard-earned tax dollars paid for this. :whiner:

MarySwiss
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
That is true, and I don't care that they're pandering to the crowd with the documentary, it's just the title is stupid and, as a Chicagoan, kind of insulting.

I'm not sure how PBS works, but I'm hoping this is limited to Chicago because it just feeds that "then you must be a Cubs fan" crap that Sox fans in other parts of the country often get when strangers learn they're from Chicago.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-01-2011, 02:38 PM
So, my heart is based on beating the monkey**** out of a Gatorade machine when I don't get my way and my soul is blaming a fan for my inability to not secure the last 5 outs of a playoff game or win the next one?

Great - setting the DVR now.

DSpivack
07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure how PBS works, but I'm hoping this is limited to Chicago because it just feeds that "then you must be a Cubs fan" crap that Sox fans in other parts of the country often get when strangers learn they're from Chicago.

It's gotta be just a Chicago thing, wouldn't make sense to broadcast to other places.

MarySwiss
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
It's gotta be just a Chicago thing, wouldn't make sense to broadcast to other places.
I hope you're right, but don't forget Mesa is "Wrigley Field West." (barf) And during Spring Training, you'd swear the Cubs were the second Arizona team!

Ex-Chicagoan
07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
The sad thing is that it was probably funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which means my hard-earned tax dollars paid for this. :whiner:

It probably wasn't. This smacks of underwriters picking up the tab for a documentary they'd enjoy.

SI1020
07-01-2011, 04:22 PM
As far as the baseball teams go, you're probably right. But if there is a team in this city that is its heart and soul, it would be the Bears. Very true, and it has been that way ever since I can remember.

KenBerryGrab
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM

No. Most likely independently produced and picked up by WTTW.

SI1020
07-01-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure how PBS works, but I'm hoping this is limited to Chicago because it just feeds that "then you must be a Cubs fan" crap that Sox fans in other parts of the country often get when strangers learn they're from Chicago. I make sure I let them know explicitly that not all of us feel that way. Followed by a history lesson accompanied by a look of amazement. Isn't everybody from Chicago a Cubs fan?

WSox597
07-01-2011, 06:48 PM

You'll like my story then. I was on a job in St. Louis. When the locals found out I was from the Chicago area, they asked me in guarded tones if I was a Cubs fan.

When I said I'd rather be a Cardinals fan, it was very well received. LOL

High fives all around.

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2011, 12:28 AM
...there is one team in Chicago that is universally revered and that's the Bears.Not so. A lot of Cardinals fans would NEVER switch over to the Bears, and became Packers fans. They raised their offspring to be Packers fans. There are a lot of Green and Gold bars in the Chicago area.

doublem23
07-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Not so. A lot of Cardinals fans would NEVER switch over to the Bears, and became Packers fans. They raised their offspring to be Packers fans. There are a lot of Green and Gold bars in the Chicago area.

That's true, but I feel that influence is waning considerably. I don't see much green and gold out and about, and they just won the Super Bowl.

TDog
07-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Not so. A lot of Cardinals fans would NEVER switch over to the Bears, and became Packers fans. They raised their offspring to be Packers fans. There are a lot of Green and Gold bars in the Chicago area.

When I was growing up outside of Chicago, I knew a lot of Packers fans. The kids I went to school with were reflecting their fathers' support, and I thought it was because the Packers were winning and many people don't have the character to follow a losing team. Since I left the area, I have met a lot of (aging) former Chicago Cardinals fans who refuse to root for the Bears. I never put those things together.

Zisk77
07-02-2011, 08:57 AM

God I hate that. It usually illicits this response from me, " No, I don't watch minor league baseball, I'm a white sox fan". At least thats my response when I'm being polite.:wink: Sometimes there is a lot of @#$%^ and &^%# being interjected between brain dead morons (morans -inside junk for II message board followers) comments.:angry:

SI1020
07-02-2011, 10:35 AM
The Chicago Cardinals have been a subject of interest from time to time on this site. I became a Bears fan the year after I chose the Sox. Geographically I was in sync football wise, but not in baseball. I paid very little attention to the Cardinals, my strongest memories are that they weren't very good, and they traded their star Ollie Matson for 9 Rams. It still didn't help much. There seemed to be a yawn of indifference when they left town. I don't want to reopen any old wounds here, but as an adult I pretty much confirmed my childhood suspicions, especially when I discussed the matter with two old time south sider friends of mine. The Chicago Cardinals had their brief time in the sun in 1947/48, and they used to beat the Bears in games that really hurt them, but by 1960 Chicagoland mostly shrugged when they left for the greener pastures of St. Louis. The south side lost the railroads, stock yards, steel mills and much more. It's almost a miracle that the White Sox are still hanging in there.

jdm2662
07-02-2011, 11:00 AM

And what's even more funny is that when I grew up in the 80s, I knew exactly of zero Packers fans. My grandfather became a Packer fan in the 60s, but it would've fooled me. I only knew of this years after he passed on. I guess since there were four daughters in the family, it didn't exactly get passed on. They all married huge Bears fans anyway.

I didn't see an influx of Packer fans until the mid-90s. Maybe it had to do with the fact I went away to college, but it seemed to convenient to root for the cool team at the time. Personally, I don't care. You are entitled to root for who you please. I just found it amusing.

jdm2662
07-02-2011, 11:08 AM
That's true, but I feel that influence is waning considerably. I don't see much green and gold out and about, and they just won the Super Bowl.

I've noticed that as well. The Bears did come off an NFC Championship appearance, and been relatively competitive in the Lovie era. The gap between two teams isn't that far apart, unlike during the Wanny and Jauron eras.

The Cardinals moved over 50 years ago. And, outside of two seasons where Kurt Warner took them to the playoffs/Super Bowl, they've been a complete joke of a franchise. I have no clue why anyone under 60 would even care. There are plenty of Cubs fans that are also Bulls and Hawks fans. I don't see why this is such a big fuss for some.

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, the "Cardinals effect" can surely be expected to wane over time, as some kids start to root for the team they can watch all the time, sort of like how the Sox lost a lot of southside kids and northwest Indiana kids when they could only watch the Cubs on TV.

bridgeportcopper
07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
So, after Friday's game I had a chance encounter with Cubbie prez/douchebag Crane Kenney. He was walking around that "block party" which was sparsely attended and pretty lame, basically a band, beer vendors and a bunch of BP booths. As he walked around it was evident he was there merely to get a headcount and really looked irritated to be there. I approached him and asked if I could have a photo taken with him, he said ok and I then engaged him in a handshake and gave him this little parting shot "Hey man things are really lookin' up for your Cubbies, don't worry It's gotta happen in the next hundred years!". He didn't seem pleased. I rule!

SI1020
07-03-2011, 10:29 AM
So, after Friday's game I had a chance encounter with Cubbie prez/douchebag Crane Kenney. He was walking around that "block party" which was sparsely attended and pretty lame, basically a band, beer vendors and a bunch of BP booths. As he walked around it was evident he was there merely to get a headcount and really looked irritated to be there. I approached him and asked if I could have a photo taken with him, he said ok and I then engaged him in a handshake and gave him this little parting shot "Hey man things are really lookin' up for your Cubbies, don't worry It's gotta happen in the next hundred years!". He didn't seem pleased. I rule! Sorry I missed it. I would have liked to have seen the look on his face.

cards press box
07-03-2011, 11:53 AM
The Chicago Cardinals have been a subject of interest from time to time on this site. I became a Bears fan the year after I chose the Sox. Geographically I was in sync football wise, but not in baseball. I paid very little attention to the Cardinals, my strongest memories are that they weren't very good, and they traded their star Ollie Matson for 9 Rams. It still didn't help much. There seemed to be a yawn of indifference when they left town. I don't want to reopen any old wounds here, but as an adult I pretty much confirmed my childhood suspicions, especially when I discussed the matter with two old time south sider friends of mine. The Chicago Cardinals had their brief time in the sun in 1947/48, and they used to beat the Bears in games that really hurt them, but by 1960 Chicagoland mostly shrugged when they left for the greener pastures of St. Louis. The south side lost the railroads, stock yards, steel mills and much more. It's almost a miracle that the White Sox are still hanging in there.

Quite right -- it is almost miraculous that the Sox never moved. They almost did in 1969 and 1977. The Sox hung in there, though.

Too bad the football Cardinals never moved back.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/08/s/000/77/5f/6f75_2.JPG

rcescato
07-03-2011, 12:22 PM

What about cubs barf bags LOL:bandance:

tebman
07-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Yet another reminder that WTTW is short for "Winnetka Talking To Wilmette".

:yup:

That's the first thing I thought of when I read this. I'd seen that reference to the call letters before and thought how appropriate it is.

WTTW's base is the North Side/north shore. Always has been. That's why the programs are the way they are, and it's no surprise that they'd run some Cub program with a treacly title like that.

Chad and Trixie grow up to become fundraisers for Channel 11.

DSpivack
07-03-2011, 02:40 PM
:yup:

That's the first thing I thought of when I read this. I'd seen that reference to the call letters before and thought how appropriate it is.

WTTW's base is the North Side/north shore. Always has been. That's why the programs are the way they are, and it's no surprise that they'd run some Cub program with a treacly title like that.

Chad and Trixie grow up to become fundraisers for Channel 11.

They think there aren't Sox fans on the north side/suburbs. Harrumph.

Dan H
07-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't understand why this la-la land stuff about the Cubs hasn't gone away yet. More and more Cub fans aren't even buying it anymore. They have no faith in Rickets and the drought doesn't amuse them. This just proves the Cubbie propaganda hasn't stopped. It is just becoming more and more unbelievable.

WhiteSox5187
07-04-2011, 09:00 PM
You'll like my story then. I was on a job in St. Louis. When the locals found out I was from the Chicago area, they asked me in guarded tones if I was a Cubs fan.

When I said I'd rather be a Cardinals fan, it was very well received. LOL

High fives all around.

I got put on national television with my response to a similar sort of question.

PatK
07-05-2011, 11:27 AM

This.

Just about every time I'm out of town on business or have customers in from out of town, they just assume I'm a Cubs fan.

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure how PBS works, but I'm hoping this is limited to Chicago because it just feeds that "then you must be a Cubs fan" crap that Sox fans in other parts of the country often get when strangers learn they're from Chicago.I get it all the time, except from those who know me or have been in my office to see the White Sox shrine therein.

Foulke You
07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
This.

Just about every time I'm out of town on business or have customers in from out of town, they just assume I'm a Cubs fan.
Yep, same here. I often get a stunned expression when I tell them I could care less about that team and only cheer for the Sox. You really get an appreciation for how nationally ignored our team is. It's sad.

thomas35forever
07-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Another thing I'd like to add. This was made possible by a grant from whom?

MarySwiss
07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I get it all the time, except from those who know me or have been in my office to see the White Sox shrine therein.
I have one of those shrines also, and it includes a pic of me in my Konerko Road with the WS Patch. The cool thing is that every now and then, some out-of-town sales rep spots it and comments on it. It's almost as though we belong to some secret society! :D:

Daver
07-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I get tired of being accused of being a Bears fan because I live near Chicago.

sullythered
07-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I get tired of being accused of being a Bears fan because I live near Chicago.

I get tired of being accused of being a Packers fan because I'm fat.:D:

Daver
07-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I get tired of being accused of being a Packers fan because I'm fat.:D:

Eat less and exercise.

DSpivack
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Eat less and exercise.

Move to Minnesota. :tongue:

(Although then you'd be accused of being a Twins fan, no?)

Daver
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Move to Minnesota. :tongue:

(Although then you'd be accused of being a Twins fan, no?)

If there were any jobs up there I'd go. Being accused of being a Twins fan can't be worse than being accused of being a Bears fan.

white sox bill
07-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Eat less and exercise.
And wear a slice of swiss on your head

Hitmen77
07-08-2011, 10:24 AM
This.

I get it all the time, except from those who know me or have been in my office to see the White Sox shrine therein.

I hear this when I'm out of town too. I don't get this. Yeah, the Cubs are a more popular team, but come on! I find it hard to believe that these people I have run across have never heard of the Chicago White Sox (ahem, they did win the World Series a few years ago) and they're so clueless that they can't imagine for a second that a two-team town will have split loyalties.

If I meet someone from NY, I don't automatically assume they're a Yankees fan or (for football) a NY Giants fan.

white sox bill
07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm not at all shocked by the general public's narrow thinking. To most, the White Socks are something you keep in your top drawer....

Crooked Number
07-09-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm not at all shocked by the general public's narrow thinking. To most, the White Socks are something you keep in your top drawer....

Exactly.

Read through this thread tonight, because i needed to get my mind off the current series the Sox are playing...

I wear this (double standard?) like a badge of honor. I love the fact that my team isn't the flavor of the month, because of all the "cool" things associated with it besides the number one thing that matters: baseball.

I enjoy seeing the looks and grimaces that are thrown my way when I wear my Sox gear up here. Been doing it proudly since I moved up here from Beverly in '04. Does anyone really want it to be the other way?

I shudder to think what it must be like, what it must feel like, to root for a team that is the biggest joke in professional sports history. They have a bar on Clark street called "The Curse" with a picture of a baseball bouncing off a goat's head for chrissakes. I am totally fine with tourists and people in other parts of the country thinking i must be a cubbie fan when they hear im from Chicago. I give em a few lines of knowledge and then all is well. It shouldn't take any self respecting Sox fan more than 20 seconds to lay down the law, and let them know the deal.

Is it a bit irritating sometimes? Sure. Just remember you could be part of the cubbie sheeple flock. Yikes.

white sox bill
07-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Exactly.

Read through this thread tonight, because i needed to get my mind off the current series the Sox are playing...

I wear this (double standard?) like a badge of honor. I love the fact that my team isn't the flavor of the month, because of all the "cool" things associated with it besides the number one thing that matters: baseball.

I enjoy seeing the looks and grimaces that are thrown my way when I wear my Sox gear up here. Been doing it proudly since I moved up here from Beverly in '04. Does anyone really want it to be the other way?

I shudder to think what it must be like, what it must feel like, to root for a team that is the biggest joke in professional sports history. They have a bar on Clark street called "The Curse" with a picture of a baseball bouncing off a goat's head for chrissakes. I am totally fine with tourists and people in other parts of the country thinking i must be a cubbie fan when they hear im from Chicago. I give em a few lines of knowledge and then all is well. It shouldn't take any self respecting Sox fan more than 20 seconds to lay down the law, and let them know the deal.

Is it a bit irritating sometimes? Sure. Just remember you could be part of the cubbie sheeple flock. Yikes.
As I often remind a Cub fan, you are like Micheal Jackson, we are like Metalica. I'll take the underground, cult-like following anyday over the mega popular

bestkosher
07-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Exactly.

Very true. I have a story that relates to it. Back when I was a freshmen in college at Loyola, my first dorm mate was from Buffalo. His mom called my mom prior to us moving in to the dorms. Here is how the conversation went. His Mom, "Oh and good news my son is Cubs fan." My Mom, "You may as well tell my son he is an axe murderer". Needless to say we never hit off as room mates. He only lasted half a year as my room mate.

MARTINMVP
07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
WTTW is airing this now.

So much of this so far in the first 30 min. is fluff.

Chicago is such a great city of hard workers, oh my they love their baseball.

George Will, Bud Selig, Mayor Daley, the old actor from NYPD Blue, the fat agent from Curb Your Enthusiasm, the NCIS star and a few other actors I don't know are all regular contributors.

Also showing several Cub fans and how they go to the games no matter, what, that this year is the year. One of the celebrity contributors - I forget which - said that he values the experience more than winning. The Cubs give him that thrill of experience every year, win or lose. :?:

Steve Stone was in it for a moment, saying the Cubs are a way of life. Ron Santo also was in it. I have the feeling this was put together sometime in 2009 or 2010 - certainly no mentions of their current woes have been discussed so far.

This goes until 9:30 tonight. The wife went out shopping, so I could either watch this, the ESPYs, or soccer on ESPN 2.

EDIT:
I also just noticed that Game Four of the 2005 World Series is being replayed on CSN. I have a hunch that might be a better programming alternative.

gaelhound
07-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I can't think of a stronger argument for defunding public television.
Mod edit: Now you're skating into politics. Don't.