PDA

View Full Version : Jose Reyes

sunofgold
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Heard on ESPN that Mets might be willing to trade him. How good would he look in a White Sox uniform? Move him or Alexei to second. However, Mets probably want top prospects which we don't really have. Could give them Beckham and ???? idk.

DSpivack
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Not happening.

They want 3 or 4 top prospects and we don't have one.

Plus, a team trading for him would be idiotic not to sign him to an extension as soon as the trade is done, and he'll command $20+ million per season.

No way is he coming here.

DumpJerry
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Heard on ESPN that Mets might be willing to trade him. How good would he look in a White Sox uniform? Move him or Alexei to second. However, Mets probably want top prospects which we don't really have. Could give them Beckham and ???? idk.
Seriously? Give up on a guy who has ONE ERROR at Second all season for a guy who still has brain farts at Short? Give up on a cheap player who is under our control for several more years and plenty of upside (Beckham)?

sunofgold
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
lol! Beckham might have potential but Jose Reyes has accomplishments. lol!

russ99
06-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Personally, I'd love to see Reyes come here, but the Sox don't have the prospects, aren't going to commit that kind of salary, and there's no place for him to play, unless the Sox give up on Beckham.

With Pierre probably not coming back next year, the Sox are going to either have to look for a potential leadoff man in the OF next year, or do without one.

Michael Bourn of the Astros could also be available, but he's a FA after 2012 and represented by Boras, so I don't think the Sox would deal the assets needed to acquire him to see him leave in FA a year later.

guillensdisciple
07-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Seriously? Give up on a guy who has ONE ERROR at Second all season for a guy who still has brain farts at Short? Give up on a cheap player who is under our control for several more years and plenty of upside (Beckham)?

You're kidding right? Beckham sucks ass offensively. The potential, whatever it was, is no longer there. You still can't be under this propaganda cloud with the guy. He's bad with a quality glove simple as it gets.

hi im skot
07-01-2011, 09:08 AM
You're kidding right? Beckham sucks ass offensively. The potential, whatever it was, is no longer there. You still can't be under this propaganda cloud with the guy. He's bad with a quality glove simple as it gets.

Hyperbole much?

Domeshot17
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Give up one guy who sucks for one guy who is awesome? If we could definately resign Reyes, I would do that in a HEARTBEAT.

doublem23
07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Give up one guy who sucks for one guy who is awesome? If we could definately resign Reyes, I would do that in a HEARTBEAT.

Not to mention Reyes also gives the Sox an actual lead-off hitter, allowing them to ship out Pierre, so it's really Reyes + Viciedo for Beckham + Pierre.

I pull that trigger 8 days a week.

Domeshot17
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Not to mention Reyes also allows the Sox to finally get rid of Pierre, so it's really Reyes + Viciedo for Beckham + Pierre.

I am picking up what you are laying down her doub!

doublem23
07-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I am picking up what you are laying down her doub!

I would throw the whole kitchen sink in that kind of deal. I'd even be willing to give the Mets Floyd (preferably), Sale (hesitantly), or Danks (begrudingly) to make that happen.

Vestigio
07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Not to mention Reyes also gives the Sox an actual lead-off hitter, allowing them to ship out Pierre, so it's really Reyes + Viciedo for Beckham + Pierre.

It wouldn't surprise me that we would have to throw Viciedo in for any glimmer of hope that the Mets would accept our below average prospects. No chance in any of this happening. Plus I wouldn't want the Sox to commit big dough for someone whose had an injury history like Reyes.

Zisk77
07-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I would throw the whole kitchen sink in that kind of deal. I'd even be willing to give the Mets Floyd (preferably), Sale (hesitantly), or Danks (begrudingly) to make that happen.

Great idea give up all our good young players for a guy who will spend more time on the DL than actually playing and command a huge salary.
Jose Reyes = iron pyrate = franchise killer.

This sounds eerily similar to the threads a few years ago suggesting we give up the farm to get Adam Dunn. How's that working right now?

sunofgold
07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
A lot of contracts coming up the books next year. However, it still would be a large commitment of money. Anyway that Rios or Dunn agrees to rip up their contract like Gil Meche style. It we didn't have the big contracts of Peavy, Dunn, and Rios we might be able to work out a contract with Reyes.

Could also consider the possibliity of just getting Reyes for this year (a rental). A costly one though.

Domeshot17
07-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Great idea give up all our good young players for a guy who will spend more time on the DL than actually playing and command a huge salary.
Jose Reyes = iron pyrate = franchise killer.

This sounds eerily similar to the threads a few years ago suggesting we give up the farm to get Adam Dunn. How's that working right now?

Do you have a clue what you are talking about? Jose Reyes has had 1 season since 2005 where has not given his team 560 or more At Bats. He is currently hitting .352.

Yup, The Mets are killed because of Jose Reyes and that .352 average and that 900+ OPS. Who needs that when we have Jaun Pierre, I mean, he did have that 1 big hit this year. And Gordon, He used to be a top spec, I'm sure last year and that .226 average this year are just bumps in the road.

kittle42
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Do you have a clue what you are talking about? Jose Reyes has had 1 season since 2005 where has not given his team 560 or more At Bats. He is currently hitting .352.

Yup, The Mets are killed because of Jose Reyes and that .352 average and that 900+ OPS. Who needs that when we have Jaun Pierre, I mean, he did have that 1 big hit this year. And Gordon, He used to be a top spec, I'm sure last year and that .226 average this year are just bumps in the road.

What he said.

Jose Reyes is an elite player and I'd give up Gordon Beckham for him 100 times out of 100.

doublem23
07-01-2011, 11:40 AM
It wouldn't surprise me that we would have to throw Viciedo in for any glimmer of hope that the Mets would accept our below average prospects. No chance in any of this happening. Plus I wouldn't want the Sox to commit big dough for someone whose had an injury history like Reyes.

If we're giving them a Major League caliber pitcher and a reclamation project in Gordon Beckham and they still want Viciedo I would tell them to go blow it out their ass.

Unless they want to repeat the Twins' Johan Santana fiasco where they tried to up the bidding so high that they eventually got stuck with nothing.

spawn
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM
A lot of contracts coming up the books next year. However, it still would be a large commitment of money.
And therein lies the problem. Where would the money come from? THe Sox already have some huge contracts on the books. And with the way Dunn is working out this season, along with Rios I doubt uncle Jerry would take that chance again.

Could also consider the possibliity of just getting Reyes for this year (a rental). A costly one though.
Considering there is no guarantee that even with Reyes and Viciedo in the lineup that this team would win the division, I wouldn't trade make this trade only for a half a season for him.

Vestigio
07-01-2011, 11:59 AM
If we're giving them a Major League caliber pitcher and a reclamation project in Gordon Beckham and they still want Viciedo I would tell them to go blow it out their ass.

Unless they want to repeat the Twins' Johan Santana fiasco where they tried to up the bidding so high that they eventually got stuck with nothing.

The Mets are financially stricken, so I dont think they'd want Floyd, who is owed $16.5 million over the next two years. Danks will be a FA this offseason, and will be highly sought after. Would the Mets want to trade Reyes for 12+ starts out of Danks when they arent in contention for the NL East? I dont think so.

Beckham and Sale could be chips, but we as fans tend to overvalue our young talent. We wouldnt know how the Mets would value them. In my opinion, Viciedo would have to be the foundation for any trade involving Reyes.

doublem23
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Considering there is no guarantee that even with Reyes and Viciedo in the lineup that this team would win the division, I wouldn't trade make this trade only for a half a season for him.

Even if Reyes bolts, he's a guaranteed Type A Free Agent, so he'll help us restock our sorely barren farm system.

spawn
07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Even if Reyes bolts, he's a guaranteed Type A Free Agent, so he'll help us restock our sorely barren farm system.
With the way the Sox have drafted, is that really a bouns?

Zisk77
07-01-2011, 08:51 PM

I wasn't refferring to Reyes killing the Mets franchise (that would be guys like Beltran). I was referring to him (with Peavey, Rios, & Dunn's contracts) being traded to us for Beckham, Viciedo, Sale and having to sign him, crippling us for a long time.

Also, I'm not referring to Reyes Injury status vs. his entire career, but his recent history struggles. Sure he could remain healthy but so Could Peavey who has been healthy for the bulk of his career. But I fear both for deffernt reasons will not remain healthy. Peavey because of mechanics. Reyes because he is starting to experience leg problems and I think they will continue because of the way he plays the game.

Now I would be in favor of the sox giving up maybe one real good prospect like Viciedo and then some "B" guys for Reyes. Then we could replace Juan in Left, Reyes would be a huge upgrade as a leadoff hitter. Then offer him arbritation at the end of the year which he'd decline. Then we could get some "A" draft propects in return. However the mets would probably need a better deal and we supposedly can't take on any more salary so the point is moot.

Its funny though, everyone seems to gripe about how we don't produce any good players and are farm sucks. Yet we want to trade any good chips we have for rentals that we'd have to overpay to keep...yet I'm clueless.

And for those that think Beckham will never amount to anything as a hitter because of his "slider speed bat", Here's a list off the top of my head of young players who couldn't hit a + high fastball for there first 2-3 years in the big league's:

Torii Hunter
David Ortiz
Tino Martinez
Omar Vizquel
Jacoby Ellsbury
Johnny Peralta

Some more strength, experience, and a little adjustment and I think Beckham will still be the doubles machine he was touted to be.

-getting off soap box now.

sunofgold
07-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Well he isn't playing right now. lol. So basically if the trade involved Viciedo and other prospects ( do we have any?) and maybe Beckham...it would still make our team better for this year b/c at least for now Reyes is better than Beckham.

You could then make Reyes the leadoff hitter and bat Pierre ninth. Pierre has been one of our best hitters with runners on base. He also would be protected by Reyes in the lineup. Pierre might wind up being more productive batting ninth instead of leadoff.

Seems like there would be some flexibility if we have Reyes. Could also bat Pierre second. Or use Viciedo if he isn't included in the trade.

Sorry just dreaming. lol! Even as a rental player, it wouldn't be the worst situation. You have to ask yourself if Reyes could be the guy to help get us to win the division.

kittle42
07-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Pierre has been one of our best hitters with runners on base.

No, unless you just mean the last two games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2011-batting.shtml

guillensdisciple
07-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Just so everyone remembers, Gordon Beckham has no trade value. He sucks.

This franchise has over valued him like crazy.

Tragg
07-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Welcome to White Sox world.
Where the sojourn for the "elite" (particularly rents) and the disdain for cheap young players never ends.

Reyes is a very good player, but not elite (career ops 40 points above Alexei); Hanley Ramirez is an elite player (although his current troubles are, well, troublesome).

sullythered
07-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Where the sojourn for the "elite" (particularly rents) and the disdain for cheap young players never ends.

Reyes is a very good player, but not elite (career ops 40 points above Alexei); Hanley Ramirez is an elite player (although his current troubles are, well, troublesome).

And Alexei is miles better defensively. I wouldn't trade Alexei for Reyes, straight up. Hanley, on the other hand...

kittle42
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Brian Anderson was an elite defender.

Hendu
07-02-2011, 03:24 PM
A lot of contracts coming up the books next year. However, it still would be a large commitment of money. Anyway that Rios or Dunn agrees to rip up their contract like Gil Meche style. It we didn't have the big contracts of Peavy, Dunn, and Rios we might be able to work out a contract with Reyes.

He's a very good player for sure but he's also having a career season in his walk year. Somebody is going to give him way too much money for way too many years and I'd rather it not be the Sox. The guy's 28 and his game is built around speed...major red flags since he's looking for a Carl Crawford contract.

As a rental only? Probably not worth it. It's not like the Sox are just a Jose Reyes away from winning the World Series.

TaylorStSox
07-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Who cares if Beckham is cheap and young? The kid can't hit. You need a couple of the "elite" guys to, you know, win baseball games. A team of cheap, young Beckham's wins about 50 games a year.

palehozenychicty
07-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Jose is actually the kind of dynamic player this team needs. Someone that the opposition has to worry about on a nightly basis. We don't have anyone of that caliber in this lineup. That being said, his history of hurts is slightly overblown. If they can figure out a package, I'd do it.

doublem23
07-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Who cares if Beckham is cheap and young? The kid can't hit. You need a couple of the "elite" guys to, you know, win baseball games. A team of cheap, young Beckham's wins about 50 games a year.

No, they'd be great because the starting rotation would be Hudson, Gio, Richard, and Ely. World Series or bust!!!

Zisk77
07-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Oh oh, Reyes has an MRI on tight hamstring. Might be heading to DL....I'm shocked.

DirtySox
07-03-2011, 08:28 PM
It's nice to want things.

Zisk77
07-04-2011, 01:49 AM
It's nice to want things.

?...I want a world championship and a fire engine!

Bob Roarman
07-04-2011, 08:49 AM
But if they got him "Where's he gunna play?!?"

doublem23
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Oh oh, Reyes has an MRI on tight hamstring. Might be heading to DL....I'm shocked.

:scratch:

He's rarely on the DL, over 700 PA for for 4 straight seasons

Zisk77
07-04-2011, 11:35 AM

See earlier post on recent history not versus his career. Peavey has been healthy over his entire career also, do you think that will remain so?

Tragg
07-04-2011, 11:41 AM

It's not like the Mets will trade us Reyes for Beckham straight up. Throw in Sale and Viciedo and you MAY have a deal....so we get to rent 40 more OPS points than Alexei delivers for 3 young players.
And based on the way Williams has cut deals, you can throw in 2 promising low minor players as well that we'll send.
No, they'd be great because the starting rotation would be Hudson, Gio, Richard, and Ely. World Series or bust!!!
Actually, it would be MB, Danks, Floyd, Hudson, Gio and Richard and Humber -that's 7, pick your best 5 or 6. Any way you slice it, a better rotation than we have right now. Hudson is a better pitcher than Jackson is, right now (not to mention several more years at minimum salary) - a truly awful trade. Gio is obvious; the only advantage to having Ely would be we don't have Pierre and, without saddling ourselves with Peavy and Jackson's contracts, would have plenty of money to have found a quality outfielder.

I know I've been against most of these trades and ideas, but, man, sending a bunch of young players for good-not-great veterans, generally on the decline, is costly.

Zisk77
07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/30429093

Wow, mets plan to keep him and he wants Carl Crawford money.

balke
07-04-2011, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't call him injury prone but he missed about 30 games last year and barely played in 2009 (36 games)

Also... why are people so quick to trade for/overpay a player who's main asset is speed? Seems like anytime a team gets a hitter who can steal - they tell him not to run so he doesn't injure himself.

I'd love to have a Reyes type come up through the farm system and lock him down long term. I don't like the idea of trading/buying guys like this. Even Podsednik had his runs of hamstring pulls where he couldn't steal bases for a month or more.

if the Mets pay him they are dumb. If someone trades for him that doesn't really NEED him - they are dumb. He's a great 4 year contract in the offseason. Locking him down seems like a mistake though. Also see: Soriano/Beltran/Crawford

PalehosePlanet
07-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't call him injury prone but he missed about 30 games last year and barely played in 2009 (36 games)

Also... why are people so quick to trade for/overpay a player who's main asset is speed? Seems like anytime a team gets a hitter who can steal - they tell him not to run so he doesn't injure himself.

I'd love to have a Reyes type come up through the farm system and lock him down long term. I don't like the idea of trading/buying guys like this. Even Podsednik had his runs of hamstring pulls where he couldn't steal bases for a month or more.

if the Mets pay him they are dumb. If someone trades for him that doesn't really NEED him - they are dumb. He's a great 4 year contract in the offseason. Locking him down seems like a mistake though. Also see: Soriano/Beltran/Crawford

I don't understand how you can lump Beltran in with these guys.

First of all: He's a switch hitting, prototypical #3 hitter with power from both sides of the plate, an RBI man, and an excellent CF'er (not LF'er) who's speed was a bonus but nowhere near the primary part of his game.

Also, despite some injuries, he's played very well during his big contract.

I do, however, agree with you on not overpaying Reyes. He's a hamstring pull away from being an average player.

balke
07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't understand how you can lump Beltran in with these guys.

First of all: He's a switch hitting, prototypical #3 hitter with power from both sides of the plate, an RBI man, and an excellent CF'er (not LF'er) who's speed was a bonus but nowhere near the primary part of his game.

Also, despite some injuries, he's played very well during his big contract.

I do, however, agree with you on not overpaying Reyes. He's a hamstring pull away from being an average player.

He was a 40-40-40 type guy for the Royals when the world was salivating over him. Then they paid him - he pulled his quad and they told him not to run anymore.

He's a great player - but part of the infatuation with Beltran to begin with was his speed coupled with his power and defense.

He got a larger contract than Pujols did one year before.

Zisk77
07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Rut row :o:

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/30501125

DL bound.

DSpivack
07-07-2011, 11:34 PM
He was a 40-40-40 type guy for the Royals when the world was salivating over him. Then they paid him - he pulled his quad and they told him not to run anymore.

He's a great player - but part of the infatuation with Beltran to begin with was his speed coupled with his power and defense.

He got a larger contract than Pujols did one year before.

Damon-Beltran-Dye. Not a bad outfield they had in Kansas City.