PDA

View Full Version : The Empty, Empty Rogers Centre

Fenway
06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6721804/the-empty-empty-rogers-centre

Nobody can call Toronto a small market team.....but

PKalltheway
06-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Well-written piece. I would love to see the Jays return to their former glory. After seeing them play in Toronto in 2009, I got the feeling that if they returned to relevance, the fans will definitely come back in droves a la 1989-1993. 18 consecutive years without the postseason will test any fanbase's patience.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Winning cures all attendance woes(except in Atlanta). Once they start contending for the division again(no small feat i know), they will be back at the top.

Max Power
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I was in Toronto last month and I took in my first game at Skydome. I remember thinking when the stadium opened that it seemed so cool (retractable roof, hotel, etc.), but it has not aged well at all. It's very drab and dated now. It's doesn't help that it's a multi-purpose stadium so the seats down the lines curve away from the field.

The fans were good, in spite of the mind numbing environment. They certainly haven't been given much to cheer about since the early 90's. I definitely agree that they would fill that place up if the team got good.

Red Barchetta
07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I was in Toronto last month and I took in my first game at Skydome. I remember thinking when the stadium opened that it seemed so cool (retractable roof, hotel, etc.), but it has not aged well at all. It's very drab and dated now. It's doesn't help that it's a multi-purpose stadium so the seats down the lines curve away from the field.

The fans were good, in spite of the mind numbing environment. They certainly haven't been given much to cheer about since the early 90's. I definitely agree that they would fill that place up if the team got good.

I agree. As bad as it is for baseball, I actually saw a Toronto Raptors - LA Lakers game there before they opened the Air Canada Center. Very weird, open-air, awkwardly quiet feel to it. I still think it is a pretty cool ballpark, however it could use some renovations and perhaps an infield turf/design similar to the Rays in St. Pete.

Winning does fix a lot of ills, however I would start re-imaging the team by ditching their current black-trimmed uniforms and bring back their original Blue Jay look.

I remember the first expansion game when the SOX opened in Toronto. They shoveled the snow off the field before the game and the astroturf looked liked ice. :tongue: