PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Rooftops Fail Health Inspection

GoSox2K3
06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-wrigley-rooftops-violations-20110628,0,7580535.story

Moses_Scurry
06-29-2011, 07:42 PM
That's kind of gross. I hope we don't see a nasty E. coli outbreak.

Sox
06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Key point here....don't eat at any of the rooftop establishments. I wouldn't want to take that kind of risk. And besides, does this add to the mystic of the Wrigley experience if you find yourself strapped to the porcelain porch after dining on some fine toxic cuisine? Ugh!!!!!!

Chrisaway
06-30-2011, 03:49 AM
Considering the plankton that frequent the area, I am not surprised.

g0g0
06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
"...officials observed workers wearing the same gloves to handle food, touch garbage cans and wipe their faces."

:puking:

TheOldRoman
06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
"...officials observed workers wearing the same gloves to handle food, touch garbage cans and wipe their faces."

:puking:When I first read that I saw the last word as "feces". That would be a little worse (and wouldn't surprise me).

Hitmen77
06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Key point here....don't eat at any of the rooftop establishments. I wouldn't want to take that kind of risk. And besides, does this add to the mystic of the Wrigley experience if you find yourself strapped to the porcelain porch after dining on some fine toxic cuisine? Ugh!!!!!!

I always wondered why people were so attracted to those rooftop establishments. Especially if one is to not trust the food served there, what is the point of paying that much to go?

I can imagine that you don't get a very good view of the field from those locations. If anything, they're further way than (for comparison) the Fundamentals Deck view of the field at the Cell. That view is nice, but it is far from the action. It's not something I would pay a premium for.

eriqjaffe
06-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I always wondered why people were so attracted to those rooftop establishments. Especially if one is to not trust the food served there, what is the point of paying that much to go?

I can imagine that you don't get a very good view of the field from those locations. If anything, they're further way than (for comparison) the Fundamentals Deck view of the field at the Cell. That view is nice, but it is far from the action. It's not something I would pay a premium for.Yeah, no kidding.

There's just all sorts of faulty reasoning that leads to this:

Upper deck at U.S. Cellular: ZOMG I'M SO FAR AWAY AND I'M GONNA DIE!
Rooftop seats at Wrigley: THIS IS AWESOME!

FielderJones
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-wrigley-rooftops-violations-20110628,0,7580535.story

Three years ago, this rooftop story is replaced by

:giantsnail

kittle42
06-30-2011, 11:08 AM

I can imagine that you don't get a very good view of the field from those locations. If anything, they're further way than (for comparison) the Fundamentals Deck view of the field at the Cell. That view is nice, but it is far from the action. It's not something I would pay a premium for.

Because it's a fun experience, especially if you don't care about the game, and the all-inclusive food/beer/wine/soda more than makes up for the increased ticket cost. Also no bathroom lines, lovely indoor areas in the better ones with stadium seating to watch whatever games you like, etc. Many of the rooftop buildings are almost like club level amenities at the ballparks.

mrfourni
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, no kidding.

There's just all sorts of faulty reasoning that leads to this:

Upper deck at U.S. Cellular: ZOMG I'M SO FAR AWAY AND I'M GONNA DIE!
Rooftop seats at Wrigley: THIS IS AWESOME!

People like the rooftops for the same reason people like skyboxes. Its all you can eat/drink. My company does one of these rooftop parties for clients every year. Not many people are really watching the game.

FielderJones
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Many of the rooftop buildings are almost like club level amenities at the ballparks.

Which is funny if you remember what that neighborhood was like in the 1960s-70s. If you ever watch historical WGN footage from that era, like they had in the Santo tribute a while back, some of those buildings were clad in asphalt shingle like my grandparents' old building in Back of the Yards.

mzh
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Is it going to take a structural failure (or in this case disease outbreak) for them to actually do something about Wrigley other than pandering for money like Oliver ****ing Twist? If I was a Cub fan, I would feel pretty disrespected by the Ricketts for their apparent lack of concern.

doublem23
06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Is it going to take a structural failure (or in this case disease outbreak) for them to actually do something about Wrigley other than pandering for money like Oliver ****ing Twist? If I was a Cub fan, I would feel pretty disrespected by the Ricketts for their apparent lack of concern.

:scratch:

The Cubs don't own the rooftops.

kittle42
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Indeed. "Fail," as the kids say.

doublem23
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM

There was a bone in my jerk chicken with red beans and rice I got at the Taste yesterday. WHY RICKETTS, WHY???

kittle42
06-30-2011, 11:51 AM
There was a bone in my jerk chicken with red beans and rice I got at the Taste yesterday. WHY RICKETTS, WHY???

I think the mayor and the CPD are also to blame!!!

Hitmen77
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Because it's a fun experience, especially if you don't care about the game, and the all-inclusive food/beer/wine/soda more than makes up for the increased ticket cost. Also no bathroom lines, lovely indoor areas in the better ones with stadium seating to watch whatever games you like, etc. Many of the rooftop buildings are almost like club level amenities at the ballparks.

Well, there you go. That answers my question about the view being very far from the action. The all-inclusive food doesn't sound too attractive after reading this article.

They might have "club level amenities", but they're not nearly as close to the field as the Club Level.

kittle42
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, there you go. That answers my question about the view being very far from the action. The all-inclusive food doesn't sound too attractive after reading this article.

They might have "club level amenities", but they're not nearly as close to the field as the Club Level.

The view really isn't bad considering you are outside the stadium and across the street. I'm going to a rooftop game this Saturday and sold my bleachers because it's the better deal.

mrfourni
06-30-2011, 12:09 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100725/stadiumconcessions

I'm not convinced that the people behind the counter at USCF are going to be much better than the people serving food on the rooftops.

khan
06-30-2011, 12:09 PM
What's amazing to me is that a city inspection is ridiculously easy to pass, if you have any idea of what you're doing.

[Without getting too political] It is easy to know when an inspection is coming, and barring that, it remains relatively easy to drop a few bucks to have an inspector look the other way on some things.

That aside, given how high profile these places are amongst the sheeple that are scrubs game "attendees," one would think the owner/operators of these places should know better. Not having a food service manager present while food is being prepared/served is a big problem, IMO. Just the act of having a licensed person on-hand can take care of a lot of the issues reported.

Sox
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
What's amazing to me is that a city inspection is ridiculously easy to pass, if you have any idea of what you're doing.

[Without getting too political] It is easy to know when an inspection is coming, and barring that, it remains relatively easy to drop a few bucks to have an inspector look the other way on some things.

That aside, given how high profile these places are amongst the sheeple that are scrubs game "attendees," one would think the owner/operators of these places should know better. Not having a food service manager present while food is being prepared/served is a big problem, IMO. Just the act of having a licensed person on-hand can take care of a lot of the issues reported.

Could this be why it was so long between inspections? :scratch: I find some irony in the fact that there was such a lapse between the years of inspection. Of course I ask this without being too political mind you.

kittle42
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Could this be why it was so long between inspections? :scratch: I find some irony in the fact that there was such a lapse between the years of inspection. Of course I ask this without being too political mind you.

Someone should get Charlie "Serpico" Kelly on the case!

Hitmen77
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
The view really isn't bad considering you are outside the stadium and across the street. I'm going to a rooftop game this Saturday and sold my bleachers because it's the better deal.

I almost missed the fact that this is vs. the White Sox.

Off topic from this discussion, but I wonder what the mix of Cubs vs. Sox fans at a rooftop for a crosstown game. I'm not making a point about anything with this question. I'm just wondering. You'll have to let us know.

kittle42
06-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Off topic from this discussion, but I wonder what the mix of Cubs vs. Sox fans at a rooftop for a crosstown game. I'm not making a point about anything with this question. I'm just wondering. You'll have to let us know.

I did it before, maybe about 5 years ago. About the same as in the park - 75/25 Cubs, I'd say.

khan
06-30-2011, 01:28 PM

For a variety of reasons, the process has been bogged down in recent years. [Fewer inspectors, budgetary constraints, and other issues.]

Friends of mine that still work in the foodservice industry tell me that it is easy to know where the inspection teams are at in a given week, and where they plan to be. This gives places time to fix any issues.

But what is mindblowing to me is that there have been stories in the media about these places, and yet their owner/operators did little-to-nothing to fix the issues, apparently.

doublem23
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
But what is mindblowing to me is that there have been stories in the media about these places, and yet their owner/operators did little-to-nothing to fix the issues, apparently.

Yeah, it was front page news on the Tribune last week. How they failed these inspections is nothing short of mind-blowing.

DumpJerry
06-30-2011, 02:10 PM
The amount of alcohol consumed at the rooftops explains why there have been no illnesses. The bacteria does not stand a chance.

MARTINMVP
06-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm absolutely stunned that the Tribune actually went ahead and investigated such an issue, and then were so willing to out the rooftops.

kittle42
06-30-2011, 02:24 PM
The amount of alcohol consumed at the rooftops explains why there have been no illnesses. The bacteria does not stand a chance.

Amen to that! I hope to be so drunk Saturday that I don't notice the Sox haven't scored.

mzh
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM

:redface: Fail, indeed. I haven't payed enough attention to the Cubs in recent years to figure out that they don't own some of their seats apparently.

Meh. The whole ballpark is a mess. This isn't particularly surprising.

DumpJerry
06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm absolutely stunned that the Tribune actually went ahead and investigated such an issue, and then were so willing to out the rooftops.
Tribco tried to put the rooftops out of business a couple of years ago with the windscreens. They then agreed to take the screens down in return for a hefty (IIRC, over 15% of gross) royalty payment for use of their intellectual property by the rooftop owners.

kittle42
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM

The Trib has always fought with the rooftops.

Sox
06-30-2011, 08:33 PM
For a variety of reasons, the process has been bogged down in recent years. [Fewer inspectors, budgetary constraints, and other issues.]

Friends of mine that still work in the food service industry tell me that it is easy to know where the inspection teams are at in a given week, and where they plan to be. This gives places time to fix any issues.

Mind blowing indeed!!!!!! :shakehead:

DumpJerry
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Did you read the article? It does not seem like it.

khan
07-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Did you read the article? It does not seem like it.

I'm sorry. As I re-read my previous post, it could be confusing to the reader. :redface:

I did read the story cited in this thread, as well as the previous stories about food service inspections in the rooftop places and about food safety and sports fans. Let me re-write what I meant; I'd tried to be brief in that earlier post, omitting some words that may have been more clear to the reader:

But what is mindblowing to me is that there [PREVIOUSLY] have been stories in the media about these places [BEFORE the inspections], and yet their owner/operators did little-to-nothing to fix the issues [IN TIME for the inspections to occur], apparently.