PDA

View Full Version : Should I pull the trigger or wait?

Moses_Scurry
06-29-2011, 10:55 AM
My wife and I have decided to take our 2 kids, plus 3 nephews, plus 2 grandparents, plus 1 family friend for a total of 10 people to the Saturday, August 20 game against Texas. There are a couple things about this game that I just found out. First, it is a fireworks night (I knew this already), and second, it is Mark Buehrle bobblehead day.

On stubhub, they have 10 tickets together, and it is looking like the best bet as far as value compared to seat quality is getting row 9 in section 147 (down the third base line) for $58 a pop.

Lets assume that the Sox play stays at the level that it is now. Is the Buehrle bobblehead day going to make it difficult to get a better set of 10 tickets down the line or do people not generally buy tickets because of a bobblehead promotion? Seat quality is more important to us than the price as my extended family is NOT going to want to sit in the upper deck.

So what do you think? Do I have a chance at getting better seats than sec 147/ row 9 by holding out awhile longer or should I thank my lucky stars that these seats are even available with 10 together? We have to go to this specific game because my wife has already arranged for a happy birthday message to our children on the scoreboard.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I would buy them now for sure. For reason actually... 10 tickets in the lower level is a hard find. Maybe outfield is easier to find but now that location.

voodoochile
06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Agreed, buy them. Not all bobbleheads are big draws but I imagine Buehrle's actually will be. This isn't batboy bobblehead day, it's Mark (freaking) Buehrle. :cool:

And yeah, I agree, 10 together in the LD is hard to find for any game more so on a Saturday night where even if the Sox tank between now and then the game will still be a decent draw because of the time of year and the fact it's a Saturday night game. If the price doesn't break you, I'd snag em.

gosox41
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
My wife and I have decided to take our 2 kids, plus 3 nephews, plus 2 grandparents, plus 1 family friend for a total of 10 people to the Saturday, August 20 game against Texas. There are a couple things about this game that I just found out. First, it is a fireworks night (I knew this already), and second, it is Mark Buehrle bobblehead day.

On stubhub, they have 10 tickets together, and it is looking like the best bet as far as value compared to seat quality is getting row 9 in section 147 (down the third base line) for $58 a pop.

Lets assume that the Sox play stays at the level that it is now. Is the Buehrle bobblehead day going to make it difficult to get a better set of 10 tickets down the line or do people not generally buy tickets because of a bobblehead promotion? Seat quality is more important to us than the price as my extended family is NOT going to want to sit in the upper deck.

So what do you think? Do I have a chance at getting better seats than sec 147/ row 9 by holding out awhile longer or should I thank my lucky stars that these seats are even available with 10 together? We have to go to this specific game because my wife has already arranged for a happy birthday message to our children on the scoreboard.

Unless the Sox go on a 1983 type run, I would wait. Plus, what if Buehrle is traded in the upcoming firesale (which is going to occur if the team keeps scoring 2 runs a game.)

Bob

DumpJerry
06-29-2011, 11:11 PM
If getting the family to that precise game is your goal, get the tickets. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

DumpJerry
06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Unless the Sox go on a 1983 type run, I would wait. Plus, what if Buehrle is traded in the upcoming firesale (which is going to occur if the team keeps scoring 2 runs a game.)

Bob
I know people who live out of town bought tickets back in February and March when it known that this was Buehrle bobblehead night. It will be like Big Frank's bobblehead game last year.

Buehrle is a 5/10 player. He's not going anywhere unless it is the Cardinals.

Lamp81
06-29-2011, 11:26 PM

Bob

I wouldn't worry. Buehrle is a White Sox legend, and his bobblehead will always be a White Sox treasure piece.

Even if he is traded, he should get the Baines treatment, and have his #56 retired.

MARTINMVP
06-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Maybe it's apples and oranges, but I was at the 2nd game this year where they gave away Frank Thomas bobbleheads. Not only were we not early, we got there just before game time and we got ours. We had actually planned to get there early for the bobbleheads until the one ass in our group couldn't get off of work early after he initially told us he could. Granted, the Sox were sucking big time during that time, but we were still shocked that the place was so empty that night (a Friday night).

doublem23
06-30-2011, 06:51 AM

Bob

If the Sox go on a 1983-style run then you're not going to find 10 tickets together. And so what if the Sox trade Buehrle? I still really like my Frank Thomas bobblehead that I got a few years after he retired.

DumpJerry
06-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Maybe it's apples and oranges, but I was at the 2nd game this year where they gave away Frank Thomas bobbleheads. Not only were we not early, we got there just before game time and we got ours. We had actually planned to get there early for the bobbleheads until the one ass in our group couldn't get off of work early after he initially told us he could. Granted, the Sox were sucking big time during that time, but we were still shocked that the place was so empty that night (a Friday night).
It was a weekday in April. When they did it last year, it was a beautiful weekend morning.

doublem23
06-30-2011, 09:01 AM

Was that the game against the Orioles? It was cold as hell that night, but you're right, I was a little surprised that our friends, who got to the park about 20 minutes before 1st pitch, each got a bobblehead.

Frank Thomas Day last year, against the Yankees, I was in line about 3 hours before game time and there were already about 20 people ahead of me at Gate 5. By the time they opened the gates, there were at least 300-400 people there.

Sox
06-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I would definitely get the tickets now because then you can be assured of ten seats together and you won't be kicking yourself later on for not snatching up those ten tickets when you had the opportunity to get them. AND you get a really cool bobble-head as a memento or keepsake of that evening. You get the whole enchilada or churro whatever the case may be and the experience of a fun family night at the ball park rooting on our beloved White Sox!!! It's a win-win all the way around.

kaufsox
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
I think I would wait. Even if you don't get all the seats together, but Aug 20 it won't matter and you'll all be able to sit together anyway.

gosox41
06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
If the Sox go on a 1983-style run then you're not going to find 10 tickets together. And so what if the Sox trade Buehrle? I still really like my Frank Thomas bobblehead that I got a few years after he retired.

I'm just saying if the Sox are out of it, tickets will be easy to get with or wihtout a Buehrle bobblehead.

And if the Sox were to trade Buehrle, then there's a good chance they would cancel the bobblehead day.

Personally, I hope (and think) the Sox will get it together by then, but watching this offense on a daily basis makes me want to change that thinking.

Also, I don't see Buehrle being traded for PR reasons, just saying it is a possibility albeit remote.

Bob

Brian26
06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
And if the Sox were to trade Buehrle, then there's a good chance they would cancel the bobblehead day.

Esteban Loaiza says hello (2004).

The bobblehead order is in. If Buehrle is traded, what are they going to do with 20,000 or 30,000 bobbleheads? Throw them in the river? Nah, they'd still hand them out as a tribute to 11 years of Buehrle in a Sox uniform.

DumpJerry
06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I wonder if the name is spelled correctly on the bobbleheads.