PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Konerko?

JermaineDye05
06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
If the Sox manage to plummet in the standings by the trade deadline, would you trade Paulie?

I realize he's the face of the team right now, and I'm sure a lot of people would like him to finish his career here.

However, considering he's under control for the next two seasons and he's having another monster year, I think the Sox could certainly get a pretty good package for him.

kittle42
06-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Most everyone is going to say no, but this team really could use a nice influx of prospects.

KMcMahon817
06-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Didn't even read your post. Thread title=No.

FielderJones
06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
:bong:

DirtySox
06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
If it's rebuild time, absolutely.

mrfourni
06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
If the Sox manage to plummet in the standings by the trade deadline, would you trade Paulie?

I realize he's the face of the team right now, and I'm sure a lot of people would like him to finish his career here.

However, considering he's under control for the next two seasons and he's having another monster year, I think the Sox could certainly get a pretty good package for him.

His pesky no trade clause might get in the way.

#1swisher
06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
No

JermaineDye05
06-28-2011, 01:35 PM

We all know that there is mutual interest with the Diamondbacks and Paul.

Although Kenny only really has one good trade he's made with the D-Backs:

:TCQ:

the others have been pretty bad.

The Diamondbacks do have some nice young players though and could really use some protection for Justin Upton. I wonder how much they'd be willing to give up for PK.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-28-2011, 01:35 PM
So we'd trade the only offensive player who Sox fans would pay to see (aside from maybe Quentin).

We'd be lucky to outdraw the Marlins if that happened.

DirtySox
06-28-2011, 01:39 PM

If the Sox feel the need to blow it up, he might actually prefer a trade.

kobo
06-28-2011, 01:40 PM
This. Otherwise, no. Konerko is the only reason why I have a mild interest in watching this team right now.

thomas35forever
06-28-2011, 01:42 PM
No. If he goes, there's not much reason to follow the Sox anymore, especially if he's having an MVP-type season.

FielderJones
06-28-2011, 01:42 PM
We'd be lucky to outdraw the Marlins if that happened.

This. Ranking 30th in attendance at the end of the year is not something I'd want to see.

TDog
06-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Resign Paul Konerko to a big contract. During the first half of the season he is having another MVP-caliber season. Why not trade him?

The answer is no. Jerry Reinsdorf regrets trading Harold Baines, and the Baines trade brought over a pitching prospect who threw a no-hitter and an outfielder who twice hit 60 home runs -- not for the White Sox and not without its controversy, but the prospects were top of the line if you're talking about prospects. And Reinsdorf has said he regrets the trade for what it did to the Sox and what it did to Baines.

And the fact is that with all the problems the White Sox are having this year, triggered by going out and signing a designated hitter who actually hit the ball fair less than most hitters when he played in the National League, compounded by having a weak defensive outfield to support a very good pitching staff, the White Sox have a chance this year with Konerko anchoring the lineup and the infield.

Realistically, Konerko isn't going anywhere, so the question isn't worth worrying about.

Would I trade Paul Konerko in some fantasy world or parallel universe? If I wanted my team to be the Royals and have people talk about how good they are going to be in a couple of years, every year.

russ99
06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
We have Paul for 2 more years: 2012 at $12M (the same as this year) and 2013 at $13.5.

If by 2013 the Sox have gone the rebuilding route (doubtful with Jerry in charge), then I could see a chance of Paul being moved, but not before.

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Never, ever.

Tragg
06-28-2011, 01:59 PM
I possibly would, given a great offer.
But the Sox are going to be "in it" through July, so the chances are much easier that we trade one of the few young players we do have a for an ozzie-style veteran.

pythons007
06-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Only if we would get a leadoff hitter that plays stellar defense and has a cannon for an arm, 2 elite SP, a catching prospect, and a power hitting 1B prospect. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sox
06-28-2011, 02:07 PM
:threadsucks

I can't believe that were even discussing this in a thread. No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoxSpeed22
06-28-2011, 02:27 PM
The time might have to come to trade our captain. If we do not make the playoffs this year and lose many pieces, we will not have the talent or youth to compete for some time. Keeping Paulie might not be the best big picture move.
But if I trade Konerko, it would be in the offseason.

soxfanatlanta
06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
For prospects?

No.

For proven players?

Hmm.....

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Absolutely not.

kittle42
06-28-2011, 02:37 PM
I am in no way advocating trading Konerko or not, but would just like to point out the usual response to trading anyone good who would bring value - it's always met with a bunch of "no, absolutely not" responses.

You need to trade value to get value.

BigKlu59
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Walnuts traded for peanuts?... Nah.. Pass..

If we did it have to be a Von Hayes 5 fer 1 with atleast Pythons007 criteria... Proven Pitching, 1B Power #'s, and AJ's replacement as he still has 2 of the 3 Skill Sets, but his Bazooka Arm is starting to fade..

Pauly is going on the Wall in the outfield as a life long SOX...

BK59

DirtySox
06-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I am in no way advocating trading Konerko or not, but would just like to point out the usual response to trading anyone good who would bring value - it's always met with a bunch of "no, absolutely not" responses.

You need to trade value to get value.

Absolutely. Couple that with PK being a fan favorite and these responses are expected.

I wouldn't trade him unless a rebuild is in the cards. Makes no sense to keep him in that scenario. He probably wouldn't want to stick around for it either.

tstrike2000
06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
If they're going to go in full rebuild mode next season, then they might have to. Otherwise, the package in return would have to be good.

MeteorsSox4367
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Unless it brings Brian Anderson back to the Sox, then I'm going with no.

voodoochile
06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
This team is built to be competitive for the next several years (barring a huge loss of starting pitching talent). I don't see the point in trading Konerko under those circumstances.

JermaineDye05
06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
This team is built to be competitive for the next several years (barring a huge loss of starting pitching talent). I don't see the point in trading Konerko under those circumstances.

They may say they're built to be competitive, but looking at this team, I don't see a world series winner in them for the next couple of seasons.

Not unless our CF, DH, and 2B get their heads out of their asses.

They will continue to be average at best unless they can figure out how to fix this offense.

kittle42
06-28-2011, 03:48 PM
This team is built to be competitive for the next several years

I always love this organization's use of "competitive."

TDog
06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
The time might have to come to trade our captain. If we do not make the playoffs this year and lose many pieces, we will not have the talent or youth to compete for some time. Keeping Paulie might not be the best big picture move.
But if I trade Konerko, it would be in the offseason.

This team needs to lose some pieces. It will be better when they do. But Konerko isn't one of those pieces.

GlassSox
06-28-2011, 03:52 PM
No!

hawkjt
06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
No. This division is always up for grabs,and the Sox will still have the best starting pitching in the division over the length of PK' s deal.

veeter
06-28-2011, 05:05 PM
It makes sense on some levels but that might be a p.r. nightmare the Sox never recover from. Unless the guys they received back won a championship. But the current White Sox staff couldn't or wouldn't develop them. Plus it would hurt to get rid of the Class of our organization while so many dopes would remain.

veeter
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
No. This division is always up for grabs,and the Sox will still have the best starting pitching in the division over the length of PK' s deal.Probably the best reason to keep him.

Noneck
06-28-2011, 05:20 PM
As a fan when they blow the team up, I say yes but for young major league talent not prospects. Ownership will probably say no because when they blow it up they wont draw flies , Paul will at least bring some warm bodies to the park.

Tragg
06-28-2011, 06:21 PM
This team is built to be competitive for the next several years (barring a huge loss of starting pitching talent).. Which is highly possible if the Sox don't raise payroll. We could very well have Floyd, Humber (maybe not even him), Sale, _______, ____________.

October26
06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
no

+1

JB98
06-28-2011, 06:40 PM
There is a price for everything. Another team would have to make a great offer for me to trade Konerko though.

khan
06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
It makes sense on some levels but that might be a p.r. nightmare the Sox never recover from. Unless the guys they received back won a championship. But the current White Sox staff couldn't or wouldn't develop them. Plus it would hurt to get rid of the Class of our organization while so many dopes would remain.

I'd have to think that fans of an organization that has boobs in the management team telling us not to come to games could overcome such a trade. Not to mention, an owner that in the past did much to alienate the fans as well.

A hypothetical trade of Cap'n Konerko would cause a smaller short-term PR hit, but only to the johnny-come-latelies. The die-hard types wouldn't be affected as much, IMO.

Now, if the stupid GM trades away Konerko, and gets a [snicker] haul of the types that he got for Swisher or Vasquez, that's an entirely different matter. Any player is tradeable, for the right price. [Again, if Gretzky got traded, anyone can be traded.]

For my part, I got over my heroes being traded away when Chet Lemon was shipped out for Steve Kemp.

MetroPD
06-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Ridiculous, thats the only thing I can think of to describe the thought of trading Konerko. We have several other over paid players that should be shown the door. Paulie is the face of this franchise like it or not and we need him now.

TaylorStSox
06-28-2011, 07:22 PM
There's been one player in the history of sports who I wouldn't trade. Konerko is no Jordan.

TaylorStSox
06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

A franchise that's been around for over a hundred years can't overcome trading Paul Konerko? OMG that's irrational. Look, I'm glad Konerko's having another great year. We're talking about Paul Konerko though.

soxgirl617
06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Absolutely not. Make all the baseball arguments you want. My answer is still "absolutely not". Paulie is, IMHO, the heart and soul of this team, for many fans. At least we are enjoying watching his great season while we watch most of the rest of the team underachieve.

JermaineDye05
06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Ridiculous, thats the only thing I can think of to describe the thought of trading Konerko. We have several other over paid players that should be shown the door. Paulie is the face of this franchise like it or not and we need him now.

Yeah, but you'd be lucky to get a bag of balls for the way they're performing right now.

Paulie is having another MVP caliber season so far, and considering he's tied up for two more seasons after this, you could arguably get a pretty good bundle of prospects.

palehozenychicty
06-28-2011, 11:46 PM
They may say they're built to be competitive, but looking at this team, I don't see a world series winner in them for the next couple of seasons.

Not unless our CF, DH, and 2B get their heads out of their asses.

They will continue to be average at best unless they can figure out how to fix this offense.

Indeed. All these guys could play better and win the division. But that's a lot of hope just to make the playoffs.

BainesHOF
06-29-2011, 02:49 AM
For the right price, sure. If Babe Ruth and Wayne Gretzky can be traded so can Paul Konerko.

Zakath
06-29-2011, 07:51 AM
For the right price, sure. If Babe Ruth and Wayne Gretzky can be traded so can Paul Konerko.

Don't remember that first trade working out really well for the Red Sox. Then again, Jerry might sponsor a really bad Broadway play and need the cash.

To the original question, no. Hell no. Konerko needs to retire as a member of the White Sox. Period.

Procol Harum
06-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Oh, heck no!

But, if someone agreed to take Rios, Quentin, and Dunn too that might be an offer I couldn't refuse. Talk about your addition by subtraction.....

Tragg
06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
A hypothetical trade of Cap'n Konerko would cause a smaller short-term PR hit, but only to the johnny-come-latelies. The die-hard types wouldn't be affected as much, IMO.

I remember being livid when the Sox traded Bucky Dent for what I reasoned was just Oscar Gamble (hello LaMarr Hoyt).
Shopping Konerko is unlikely, but MB , Jackson, Quentin and Thornton are likely to be actively advertised for sale (and teams begging for Sale, Santos, and Crain and certainly interested in Beckham and Morel, whom the Sox likely under-value).
It's not easy getting good return in the best of circumstances, and with this gm, who is most responsible for this train-wreck, the circumstances are far from the best.

voodoochile
06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh, heck no!

But, if someone agreed to take Rios, Quentin, and Dunn too that might be an offer I couldn't refuse. Talk about your addition by subtraction.....

Quentin? Really? Why would you trade the only other decent hitter this team has this year? His OPS is still nearly .900 even if he's been in a down period recently.

soxfanreggie
06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
There is a price for everything. Another team would have to make a great offer for me to trade Konerko though.

That is pretty much the extent of it. I'm sure there are all players out there that we would trade anyone on the Sox for. Chances are though that those players won't be offered to us.

Moses_Scurry
06-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I'd have to think that fans of an organization that has boobs in the management team telling us not to come to games could overcome such a trade. Not to mention, an owner that in the past did much to alienate the fans as well.

Now, if the stupid GM trades away Konerko, and gets a [snicker] haul of the types that he got for Swisher or Vasquez, that's an entirely different matter. Any player is tradeable, for the right price. [Again, if Gretzky got traded, anyone can be traded.]

For my part, I got over my heroes being traded away when Chet Lemon was shipped out for Steve Kemp.

The Baines for Sosa/Alvarez trade did it for me. I was young enough to be really upset about it. I don't think I've been all that emotional about the Sox trading away anyone since then. I hated the Foulke for Koch trade, the 2nd Swisher trade and others, but not because of who we lost. I just didn't think they were good trades.

khan
06-29-2011, 01:12 PM
I remember being livid when the Sox traded Bucky Dent for what I reasoned was just Oscar Gamble (hello LaMarr Hoyt).
I vaguely remember that trade, given my youth at the time. As a youngster, I was shocked that Chet Lemon was shipped out. Then, an old-timer in the neighborhood overheard us talking about the trade, and told us:

"Boys, anytime you don't understand why something happens, it's usually about money."

Ever since then, I've come to understand that, and IMO, and player can be traded for the right price. Getting overly emotional and overly attached to any player is for the sentimental types and for children.

Shopping Konerko is unlikely, but MB , Jackson, Quentin and Thornton are likely to be actively advertised for sale (and teams begging for Sale, Santos, and Crain and certainly interested in Beckham and Morel, whom the Sox likely under-value).
It's not easy getting good return in the best of circumstances, and with this gm, who is most responsible for this train-wreck, the circumstances are far from the best.
Agreed. 100%.

The Baines for Sosa/Alvarez trade did it for me. I was young enough to be really upset about it. I don't think I've been all that emotional about the Sox trading away anyone since then. I hated the Foulke for Koch trade, the 2nd Swisher trade and others, but not because of who we lost. I just didn't think they were good trades.
I didn't like the Baines trade either, but by that point, I knew it was about money at some level.

I agree that there have been some real stinkers of trades, especially in more recent years.

getonbckthr
06-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Best way for me to answer this is with a question. Look at it from the point of view of the team trading for Konerko. What are you willing to give up? Truth is with Paulie sure he may be able to give your team a boost for this season but remember he still has 2 years left and is an aging veteran. If im the Sox im asking for a king's ransom. If im the other team I would be very hesitant in making a move for Paulie.

forrestg
06-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Sure if we aren't going to win it all being all in I'd say no one is more dear to sox fans than Konerko but if he could bring something in return and allow us to play Viciedo at first I'm for it besides he may bring us another position player.

KMcMahon817
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
If they're going to go in full rebuild mode next season, then they might have to. Otherwise, the package in return would have to be good.

Full rebuild mode with Dunn, Rios, Konerko, TCQ, TCM and AJ all under contract. Yeah, ain't gunna happen.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I love Paul Konerko. To me, he has become the historical face of this franchise, moreso than Ozzie or Frank when it comes to the WS title.
I want the White Sox to win every year, and be competitive.

I don't want to see Konerko age in pinstripes, it would be a sad decline.
I don't want to see Konerko stuck here with a disconnected team that can't click at the same points to be continually successful.

I am not smart enough to know how to balance all of that at the same time.

Sunnydre
06-29-2011, 07:23 PM

this.

if dunn was doing what he normally does, we would be in first place, imo. i don't get talk of rebuilding.

we really are one player away.

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
we really are one player away.

I agree. And if Rios and Dunn both were producing at their career norms, I think we'd have as good of a shot at the World Series as any other AL contender (BOS, NYY, TEX). Let's hope they both progress toward the mean.

Red Barchetta
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I think there are other options besides trading Konerko. Not only is Paulie the face of the franchise, if he finishes his career with the SOX, he will probably end up near the top in all offensive catagories with Frank. His picture will be on the OF wall and he will also get a statue.

He gave JR the WS game winning ball and signed twice to stay with the SOX. He's not going anywhere unless he wants out.

Plus, he could even move to DH when the time comes and extend his career with the SOX even longer.

Everyone else, with perhaps the exception for Alexi, is probably available.

Daver
06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Plus, he could even move to DH when the time comes and extend his career with the SOX even longer.

That's impossible, that spot is reserved for the second coming of Babe Ruth, Dayan Viciedo, since most here are convinced he will hit for well above the norm in both average and power, and NOT strike out at a 50+% clip.

JermaineDye05
06-29-2011, 08:42 PM
That's impossible, that spot is reserved for the second coming of Babe Ruth, Dayan Viciedo, since most here are convinced he will hit for well above the norm in both average and power, and NOT strike out at a 50+% clip.

And I thought I was a pessimist.

sullythered
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Really? Most of the posts I have read just imply he's better than Juan Pierre. Which he probably is.

JB98
06-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Really? Most of the posts I have read just imply he's better than Juan Pierre. Which he probably is.

Yeah. Forget about Ruth. If Viciedo hits .260 and displays some extra-base pop, that would be awesome.

Sox
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Wouldn't anyone with a higher OBP be better than JP at this point? :scratch:

A. Cavatica
06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Unless the management team changes, I would trade anyone and everyone. They're not going anywhere, might as well start rebuilding for 2013.

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2011, 10:42 PM

Not putting words in your mouth, just trying to clarify: Do you seriously think Viciedo would strike out in half of his at-bats?

gosox41
06-29-2011, 10:51 PM

I would for two reasons:
1. He has value
2. We'll be doing him a favor where he can try to end his career on a winner instead of dealing with a team full of head cases as well as leadership that I am coming more convinced by the day is getting paid by CBS to be an unscripted soap opera.

Bob