PDA

View Full Version : "Unnamed source" claims cubs after Hahn

Moses_Scurry
06-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Probably bull****, but I thought I'd put it here since I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/cubs-insider/2011/06/sources-say-expect-change-at-gm-for-cubs.html

doublem23
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
The usually wrong Phil Rodgers threw that **** on a wall a little while back. I guess it stuck at one blog.

khan
06-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

On the one hand, setting aside my fandom of the SOX/disdain for the scrubs, Jim Hendry is one incredibly incompetent clown. Independent of who is available to succeed him, he's needed to be fired for sucking at his job.

OTOH, Hahn is apparently well-regarded in MLB, and had been a candidate for jobs elsewhere. While even a blind, drunk monkey would be an improvement over Hendry, how much moreso would Hahn be an improvement over him?

Were I a scrubs fan, I'd be in favor of at least exploring the possibility of hiring a competent front office man like Hahn appears to be.

dickallen15
06-28-2011, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

On the one hand, setting aside my fandom of the SOX/disdain for the scrubs, Jim Hendry is one incredibly incompetent clown. Independent of who is available to succeed him, he's needed to be fired for sucking at his job.

OTOH, Hahn is apparently well-regarded in MLB, and had been a candidate for jobs elsewhere. While even a blind, drunk monkey would be an improvement over Hendry, how much moreso would Hahn be an improvement over him?

Were I a scrubs fan, I'd be in favor of at least exploring the possibility of hiring a competent front office man like Hahn appears to be.

Hendry graduated from college. Hahn has advanced degrees. Its a no brainer who the better GM would be.

kittle42
06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Hendry graduated from college. Hahn has advanced degrees. Its a no brainer who the better GM would be.

I think standardized testing is the route to go here.

Steelrod
06-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I think Hahn was a Cubs fan to begin with.

khan
06-28-2011, 02:13 PM

Without getting into that, Hendry simply has not done a good job, full-stop.

I wouldn't give that clown a McDonald's to manage, honestly.

DrCrawdad
06-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Cubbie Clowns often scoff at Kenny Williams history as Sox GM and say, "World Series in '05 (then often imply the Sox got lucky) but that was 6 years ago. What has Williams done since then?" Of course some Sox fans ask the same question (sans the "lucky '05 Sox" comments). Here are the things that have shielded Hendry:

1. Three first place finishes: 2003, 2007 & 2008
2. Trades for D. Lee & A. Ramirez.
3. Attendance/popularity of the Cubbies.

Point # 1
The '03 Cubbies were a very good team. Their success and failure though don't fall squarely on Hendry because he was only GM a short time before their success. And even if you give credit to him for '03 then he has to share a degree of the choke job.

Regarding '07 & '08: For both teams they can attribute their first place finishes to a lousy NL Central, the weakling division of the weakling league. Even with that the '07 team was barely over .500 at 85 wins. The '08 team whopped their inferior NL Central opponents, stomping the then AAA Pirates 14-4. Sure that's what you're supposed to do but the Cubbies were not the best team in baseball (as they were called that season) they were merely a good team that got a fat record on the backs of the AAA Pirates. And the Cubbies were exposed as frauds in the post-season. That wasn't a flop in the post-season, that was the team they actually were.

Point # 2
Hendry has lived for years on the trades for D. Lee and A. Ramirez. But all he did was swoop in on a team desperate to dump salaries and the Cubbies under his tenure have always been willing to take on salary. But if Hendry survives on the success of those trades, then what about all his flops?

Point #3
Now that Attendance/Popularity are evaporating Hendry has lost that seemingly impenetrable shield.

Brian26
06-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Probably bull****, but I thought I'd put it here since I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/cubs-insider/2011/06/sources-say-expect-change-at-gm-for-cubs.html

I wouldn't worry about it. They hand out Chicago Now blogs in bubblegum machines. It's easier to get a blog there than it is to sign up for Jewel Preferred card.

kaufsox
06-30-2011, 12:29 PM
I would imagine that multiple teams look into hiring Hahn, Cubs just another on the list.