PDA

View Full Version : My favorite part of home games

Chez
06-27-2011, 10:30 AM
After reading yesterday post-game thread in it's entirety (I should know better by now), I think we need a diversion from all the negativity. I love the part of each home game when a service man or woman is recognized as the "Hero of the Game." Sox fans should be proud of the heartfelt standing ovation the service man/woman receives. It's a great moment and I have seen Greg Walker, Ozzie Guillen, Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Juan Pierre all join in the recognition. :smile:

aryzner
06-27-2011, 10:32 AM
They are and should be appreciated. Indeed I am proud.

skobabe8
06-27-2011, 10:34 AM
My brother-in-law did this last year. He was overwhelmed by the experience and didn't buy a drink all night.

He turned from a Cub fan to a Sox fan shortly thereafter and is now "All In". :D::D::D:

ChiSoxGal85
06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I love the montage intro they play with the Pirates of the Carribean song. Every time I watch it, I notice something different. WGN shows it sometimes too, before their televised games. I emailed WGN once and asked if I could get it on itunes, but they said it's owned by the Sox and not available for purchase. Hey, it was worth a shot.

doublem23
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Just love that smell of brats and Polish cooking as you enter the concourse. Never gets old.

GoGoCrede
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I love the Hero of the Game as well and am happy that most fans immediately rise to their feet when they see him or her.

QueerGirrl
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Just love that smell of brats and Polish cooking as you enter the concourse. Never gets old.

+1 If they could just bottle that smell it would be my new perfume. But to the OP I agree, it's a very cool thing they do for our service men and women.

manders_01
06-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I can't name a favorite thing, I love the entire experience. When I'm actually able to get to my "home" park (The Cell), the most important thing for me to do is soak up every little aspect since I don't get there much. But honestly, the sights, the sounds, the smells...all of it. Love my time spent at any ballpark.

soxlady8
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
I too love the Hero of the Game.
I too love the opening montage.
I too love the smell of beer and brats (even though I don't eat brats or drink beer ).
I love at the end of the game (on occasion) when the Sox DO win and go across the field and high five their teammates.
I love the McDonald snippets when the guys talk about their favorite things (movies , food , activities etc. )
I love that before the game the guys warm up on the field and sometimes some of them stop for autographs !

I love the Cell !!

BigKlu59
06-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Ya and throw in the smell of some Swisher Sweets and a good Dutch Masters and I'm back at 35th & Shields (35@Shields).

Agree with Manders.. Soaking up the experience...Once you have that Billy Crystal moment as a kid, its engrained in your soul forever... As a kid, The Stadium, Comiskey, Wrigley/Soldier Field (Bears) had their own unique aura, visual and olfactory sense response... Program... Get your Programs here!!!

BK59

voodoochile
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Like it says in my profile: Fireworks during the game...

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Nothing beats a win by the White Sox.
I have never gone to a game for the food, or exploding scoreboards or goofy races or to see Southpaw. I have gone most of the years when I lived in Chicago with expectations of a White Sox win.
I will admit I enjoyed the great organ music by Nancy, she should be in the Hall of Fame.

GlassSox
06-27-2011, 04:23 PM
The Hero of the Game is very special. I believe that all veterans appreciate it.

Love the fireworks. Most of all I just enjoy being there and interfacing with the people, the children are special.

BigKlu59
06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Nothing beats a win by the White Sox.
I have never gone to a game for the food, or exploding scoreboards or goofy races or to see Southpaw. I have gone most of the years when I lived in Chicago with expectations of a White Sox win.
I will admit I enjoyed the great organ music by Nancy, she should be in the Hall of Fame.

Awe come on now Nell... you didnt get an extra tingle when Gary Peters threw a gem, knocked one out for his own cause (nobody else did that day)..and heard that Behemoth Scoreboard go into "Kanypshun Fits" with the P-51 strafing and rockets red glare?..... And put the dot on that exclamation pont of "Hell Yes !!!"

BK59

HomeFish
06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
The entire introduction sequence, from the Pirates video to Thunderstruck to the players running onto the field as their name is called.

The Washington Nationals come out to "Thunderstruck" too, but to a much shorter version. The sound editing is very, very poor - you can hear they cut out chunks of the song.

Does the new organist still do Na Na Hey Hey? That's another thing I enjoy.

beasly213
06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I love the dance contest on top of the dug out.

I love the Home Run Challenge.

I love the opening montage.

I love the fire works.

I love the exploding score board.

I love the smell of the ball park.

I love the sounds of the vendors.

I love the hot dogs with grilled onions.

I love just being inside the stadium watching my favorite team in the world play my favorite sport in the world.

ChiSoxGal85
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
ooooh, how could I not mention that...I even commented about that heavenly scent at the game last weekend to my kids. :D:

Lip Man 1
06-27-2011, 06:19 PM
With all due respect to the other answers (all completely good in my opinion), I love the smell of winning when the fireworks go off right after the game ends.

That's what it's all about.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
06-27-2011, 06:26 PM

I concur!! Just the scent of Brats,Hot Dogs and grilled onions symbolizes why my visits to Comiskey Park are always memorable.:thumbsup::yup:

I also enjoy the "Hero Of The Game" and the opening montage
before the Sox take the field.

doublem23
06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
With all due respect to the other answers (all completely good in my opinion), I love the smell of winning when the fireworks go off right after the game ends.

That's what it's all about.

Lip

You picked a great team to be a fan of then.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Awe come on now Nell... you didnt get an extra tingle when Gary Peters threw a gem, knocked one out for his own cause (nobody else did that day)..and heard that Behemoth Scoreboard go into "Kanypshun Fits" with the P-51 strafing and rockets red glare?..... And put the dot on that exclamation pont of "Hell Yes !!!"

BK59

Of course I did but that was part of winning White Sox baseball, the scoreboard was quite a thing back in the early 60s but the thrill wore off after awhile. But like I said I'm a Sox fan first and nothing else mattered, if the Sox won I went home happy, if they lost I was misrerable and nothing has changed. I will be up in July and will see my team on the 27th and if they win I will be happy and if they lose I will still be miserable.
Someone mentioned on another thread about the experience at the ballpark not being the same this year, for me the best experience is a to see a White Sox win and with the Sox at 19-20 at home I can see why the experience has not been the same this year.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Double:

Depends on your definition of "winning." If it's World Series titles you have a point, but over the course of my life (51 seasons now as a fan) the Sox have had more winning seasons then they've lost, have made the post season at least a few times and did win a title.

It could be a hell of a lot worse, try that organization on the North Side for example.

I've never had any second-guessing about becoming a fan, although part of that was where I was born and the fact that my dad was a Sox fan.

Lip

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I love the "Who's ready for some happy juice?!" margarita vendor.

PaleHoser
06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
One I haven't seen mentioned yet:

"Sweet Home Chicago" after a White Sox win. :gulp:

GoGoCrede
06-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I love the "Who's ready for some happy juice?!" margarita vendor.

Yeah I like that guy too. I feel bad for him on cold days when it's clear no one will want a margarita.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
one i haven't seen mentioned yet:

"sweet home chicago" after a white sox win. :gulp:
+ 1

October26
06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Great topic and wonderful posts so far!

I really love to see the White sox win; I also enjoy:

1) Standing at home plate of Old Comiskey Park, closing my eyes and remembering a very special place where I spent many Sunday afternoons growing up.

2) The Opening Montage is fantastic!

3) The World Series Banners - they were worth the wait & hopefully we will see the Sox win several more World Series Championships in our lifetime.

soxfanreggie
06-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Give me a White Sox winner and a great time with friends!

soxnut1018
06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Churros, happy juice, brats, fireworks, Thunderstruck, and Sweet Home Chicago.

soxgirl617
06-28-2011, 08:13 AM
After reading yesterday post-game thread in it's entirety (I should know better by now), I think we need a diversion from all the negativity. I love the part of each home game when a service man or woman is recognized as the "Hero of the Game." Sox fans should be proud of the heartfelt standing ovation the service man/woman receives. It's a great moment and I have seen Greg Walker, Ozzie Guillen, Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Juan Pierre all join in the recognition. :smile:

I love just about all the things mentioned on this thread (although personally I don't like the dance contest on the dugout), but the relatively recent addition of the Hero of the Game is outstanding. I'm proud of the Sox for their long-time support of the military. I can remember seeing a new class of Navy recruits sworn in on the field many years ago, and I believe they continue to do that. Adding the Hero of the Game is not only a great way to recognize the individual, but it reminds us all just how much we may take for granted, and how important our service members are. And I love that Jeff Cox always tips his cap and goes over to shake the Hero's hand, in that very animated way Cox has.

At the last game I went to (last weekend) some idiot in my section didn't stand up for the Hero---although everyone else around him was standing---and I wanted to reach over and kick him. Of course that would've been inappropriate. :gah:

Most of all, overall, I just love being at The Cell (or whatever you choose to call it), watching the White Sox play baseball.