PDA

View Full Version : Past All-Star Games

pudge
07-10-2002, 01:27 AM
Gammons just talked about the 13-inning game when many pitchers went 4 innings... and Lee Smith as a closer went 3 innings to finish the game... the story is, the thrill of the All-Star game is long gone, nobody cares anymore, everyone's protecting themselves. It's just sad. I remember when the teams really wanted to win the game. Now it's just the Pro Bowl. Too bad.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Gammons just talked about the 13-inning game when many pitchers went 4 innings... and Lee Smith as a closer went 3 innings to finish the game... the story is, the thrill of the All-Star game is long gone, nobody cares anymore, everyone's protecting themselves. It's just sad. I remember when the teams really wanted to win the game. Now it's just the Pro Bowl. Too bad. Which means he pitched the 11th, 12th and 13th. Ergo, pitchers had been saved in case of extra innings.

Iwritecode
07-10-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Which means he pitched the 11th, 12th and 13th. Ergo, pitchers had been saved in case of extra innings.

Pitchers used to pitch on back to back days too. Times have changed.

raul12
07-10-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Pitchers used to pitch on back to back days too. Times have changed.

i've always been curious as to why the amount of pitching has gone down considerably over the ages--is it b/c pitchers today are throwing harder than ever before and therefore can't go back-to-back? or is it just that all pitchers have been conditioned on pitching every 5 days?

Iwritecode
07-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by raul12
i've always been curious as to why the amount of pitching has gone down considerably over the ages--is it b/c pitchers today are throwing harder than ever before and therefore can't go back-to-back? or is it just that all pitchers have been conditioned on pitching every 5 days?

I believe it's because of the way they are conditioned. I guess it would be possible for them to get back to pitching as much as they used to but it would take quite a while for them to do it. I know when I played fast-pitch softball I was THE pitcher on the team. Nobody else could or would. So that meant I pitched every game. There was usually one or two days off inbetween and we only went 7 innings but still... I never had any arm problems though. I even managed to go 14 full innings once. I don't remember how I did the game after that though.

KruseControl04
07-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by pudge
... the story is, the thrill of the All-Star game is long gone, nobody cares anymore, everyone's protecting themselves. It's just sad. I remember when the teams really wanted to win the game. Now it's just the Pro Bowl. Too bad.

I only watched some of the All-Star game last night. I get bored with it real fast. You're right, the players don't really care, they're only trying to keep themselves from getting injured. I'm just glad that Sham-ME got gunned trying to move into third on that hit to left field. What an idiot!