PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times' 50 Greatest White Sox Players

ZombieRob
06-25-2011, 05:20 AM
The Sun-Times version of the 50 greatest White Sox players. I agree with the Number 1 choice, but I can't put Buerhle infront of Horlen, Wilhelm and Pierce. Some guys on the list go to far back for me.

I looked and didn't see this ever posted if I missed it please remove or merge thanks

http://www.suntimes.com/photos/galleries/index.html?story=2465195

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2011, 06:27 AM
The Sun-Times version of the 50 greatest White Sox players. I agree with the Number 1 choice, but I can't put Buerhle infront of Horlen, Wilhelm and Pierce. Some guys on the list go to far back for me.

I looked and didn't see this ever posted if I missed it please remove or merge thanks

http://www.suntimes.com/photos/galleries/index.html?story=2465195

For sure not ahead of Pierce.

ZombieRob
06-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Nell I really wish I was around to watch that man pitch. My Gram said he and Whitey Ford would have the greatest pitching duels and the reason Whitey would come out on top was because The Yankees had much better offense.

Steelrod
06-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Nell I really wish I was around to watch that man pitch. My Gram said he and Whitey Ford would have the greatest pitching duels and the reason Whitey would come out on top was because The Yankees had much better offense.
He didn't. I am positive Billy had the upper hand when they duelled each other.

Zakath
06-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Really surprised that Thigpen was as low on the list as he was.

BigKlu59
06-25-2011, 10:15 AM

That was just it... The Sox and Yankee games were all classic pitching duels, but the Yankees always seemed to have that little extra on offence. It just seemed they had a way to beat ya..some way...some how

I still have flashbacks of Joe Pepitone leaning over that calf high 314 wall in right taking away a sure Sox homer.. And then coming up next inning and depositing one almost in the same place, only 4 ROWS DEEPER !!!!

Dont even mention the name Mantle around me.... I break out in hives...

Great to see all of my Faves noted same as Zombie... Those were some great pitchers on some great teams.. alittle more pop in the bat on offence and who knows..

BK59

manders_01
06-25-2011, 10:40 AM

MB isn't ahead of Pierce, close, but not ahead. MB is #20, Pierce is #19.

SephClone89
06-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I swear there was a thread on this a year and a half ago when this went up.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Pierce was 8-6 against Ford in head to head meetings and that includes the 1962 World Series game.

Lip

Noneck
06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice to see Dick Allen getting some love.

LongLiveFisk
06-25-2011, 11:52 AM

I'm not. If anything, I'm a little surprised he's even on the list at all, despite his achievement. But perhaps my opinion of the whole Thigpen save thing would not be very popular around here.

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Pierce was 8-6 against Ford in head to head meetings and that includes the 1962 World Series game.

Lip

All time against the Yankees Pierce was 25-37, too bad he didn't pitch against Ford all the time.
If Pierce pitched for the Yankees his record would have been much better and he would be in the Hall of Fame.
Those Friday night games at Comiskey with Ford against Pierce were a real event with 45,000 fans screaming their lungs out especially when Aparicio got on base and everyone yelling... GO-GO-GO-GO!

Hitmen77
06-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I swear there was a thread on this a year and a half ago when this went up.

March 2010:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118318&highlight=50+greatest

Since this list is a little old, there was no chance to add Alex Rios, Adam Dunn or Juan Pierre to that list.

wassagstdu
06-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Thome ahead of Ozzie? No way.

BleacherBandit
06-25-2011, 08:57 PM

I was going to say the same thing. They need to take into account playing time with the Sox as a deciding factor.

voodoochile
06-25-2011, 09:39 PM

And that Magglio was as high as he was. He was a great hitter but he shouldn't be listed above any player who is in the Hall.

I also don't like seeing the guys implicated in the Black Sox scandal listed as high as they are. Talent or not, that's a line in the sand I can't cross.

ZombieRob
06-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Why is Thome on the list? basically he just had a cup of coffee with the Sox?

ZombieRob
06-25-2011, 11:30 PM
That was just it... The Sox and Yankee games were all classic pitching duels, but the Yankees always seemed to have that little extra on offence. It just seemed they had a way to beat ya..some way...some how

I still have flashbacks of Joe Pepitone leaning over that calf high 314 wall in right taking away a sure Sox homer.. And then coming up next inning and depositing one almost in the same place, only 4 ROWS DEEPER !!!!

Great to see all of my Faves noted same as Zombie... Those were some great pitchers on some great teams.. alittle more pop in the bat on offence and who knows..

BK59
Klu I know Hawk tends to stretch it a bit. What kind of stuff and how hard did these guys throw? Horlen, Pierce Wynn Wilhelm Etc.

Falstaff
06-26-2011, 01:32 AM
I agree. Seems a lot of superficial picks that had "name recognition" going for them. Instead of Thome, how about some actual White Sox legends like
Carlos May, Bucky Dent, heck even Ken Henderson and Jorge Orta had a more meaningful and productive tenure thant some of the picks on this list.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-26-2011, 01:47 AM

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/blackout.jpg

He also played well when healthy, even though he was only on the team about 5 years.

ZombieRob
06-26-2011, 01:51 AM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/blackout.jpg

He also played well when healthy, even though he was only on the team about 5 years.
But top 50? I disagree. Some of the people he's ahead of is even more absurd.

ZombieRob
06-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Magg and Ventura ahead of Fisk? Ventura is close, Fisk accomplished a bit more as a White Sox and is HOF. IMO Fisk needs to be top 10. Ray Durham? If that;s the case where's Chet Lemon? Rich Dotson? Britt Burns?

kingpin_rcs
06-26-2011, 08:13 AM
If Jim Thome and Dick Allen are on the list the shouldn't Albert Belle be on it? Yes he only played 2 seasons but they were two pretty productive seasons.

LongLiveFisk
06-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Magg and Ventura ahead of Fisk? Ventura is close, Fisk accomplished a bit more as a White Sox and is HOF. IMO Fisk needs to be top 10. Ray Durham? If that;s the case where's Chet Lemon? Rich Dotson? Britt Burns?

Totally agree on Fisk, although I may be a bit biased. :wink:

I mean, if forced to choose which of those would be in front of him, I would take Ventura. Mags, no way.

soxinem1
06-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I was going to say the same thing. They need to take into account playing time with the Sox as a deciding factor.

If that is the case Dick Allen should be even lower than he is.

But I do agree about Guillen. If anything, Ozzie was in the lineup almost every day from April 1985 until the end of August 1997, sans his 1992 ACL injury.

And that Magglio was as high as he was. He was a great hitter but he shouldn't be listed above any player who is in the Hall.

I also don't like seeing the guys implicated in the Black Sox scandal listed as high as they are. Talent or not, that's a line in the sand I can't cross.

Magglio ranks among the best White Sox RF of All-Time. The HOF argument has basis, but remember, many of those players compiled their career numbers with other teams as well. Magglio's ranking is based on his numbers wearing a White Sox uniform.

I do agree with you about the banned players. They shouldn't even be mentioned.

Mingo
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I was surprised Lance Johnson and his 10 year tenure didn't make the top 50 - while Thome and his two years did. Goose Gossage perhaps should also be on it.

voodoochile
06-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I think if anything this list merely shows the lack of talent the team had for much of it's existence and how poor they've been at holding on to talent when they've had it.

MarySwiss
06-26-2011, 12:40 PM

BK59

Lip
Lip, it's funny how impressions stay with you. I was just a kid then, but to me, it seems like every time I went to a Sox/Yanks game, it was Ford against Pierce, and Ford always won. The score was usually something like 2-1 or 1-0. And Elston Howard always seemed to have something to do with it.

SephClone89
06-26-2011, 12:49 PM

I do agree with you about the banned players. They shouldn't even be mentioned.

Why not?

LongLiveFisk
06-26-2011, 01:09 PM
I think if anything this list merely shows the lack of talent the team had for much of it's existence and how poor they've been at holding on to talent when they've had it.

Bingo.

MetroPD
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Why not throw Rudy Law on that list as well.....

voodoochile
06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Why not?

Well for me it comes down to two thing. First their bans limited the length of time they were with the team and second because I don't like seeing cheaters get rewarded.

You throw a World Series you shouldn't be listed on the "greatest Sox players ever" list, no matter how talented you were.

You.threw.the.World.Series. :?:

FielderJones
06-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Well for me it comes down to two thing. First their bans limited the length of time they were with the team and second because I don't like seeing cheaters get rewarded.

You throw a World Series you shouldn't be listed on the "greatest Sox players ever" list, no matter how talented you were.

You.threw.the.World.Series. :?:

Meh. Two weeks out of one October vs a career. Joe Jackson is probably the best outfielder the Sox have ever had. His culpability in throwing the Series is still debatable. I put him in the top 10.

Hitmen77
06-26-2011, 02:16 PM

I was surprised Lance Johnson and his 10 year tenure didn't make the top 50 - while Thome and his two years did. Goose Gossage perhaps should also be on it.

Jim Thome played nearly 4 years and hit 134 HRs with the White Sox.

That's not a "cup of coffee" and I don't know where the two years comment even comes from.

I agree that he shouldn't be so high on the list, but let's get our facts straight.

Meh. Two weeks out of one October vs a career. Joe Jackson is probably the best outfielder the Sox have ever had. His culpability in throwing the Series is still debatable. I put him in the top 10.

Agreed. Buck Weaver hit .324 with no errors in the '19 Series. I'm not in favor of ignoring him for this list either.

BainesHOF
06-26-2011, 02:56 PM
This list is all over the place. Any such ranking should take into account only a player's time on the Sox.

BigKlu59
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Klu I know Hawk tends to stretch it a bit. What kind of stuff and how hard did these guys throw? Horlen, Pierce Wynn Wilhelm Etc.

All of these guys werent overpowering in the Koufax sense of heat.. They were as I would say "PITCHERS" pitchers.. all worked the plate and moved the ball around and used Comiskey's soggy turf to get opponents to mash the ball into the quagmire around the plate and thru the jungle of infield turf.. See the interview with Ken Berry on the home page.. He pretty much sums it up..

I only saw Horlen and Whilhelm perform their prestadigitation..I was a wee bit to young to comprehend Early and Billy.. But hung on every tale from the oldtimers when they were mentioned.

We got Hoyt from the Orioles if i recall and he was DR. Knuckleball. At one time we had two Butterfly tossers on the staff when Eddie Fisher plied the trade as well.. Hense with this magic and the Sub power Sox alot of one run tilts..

That 60's staff .... L Peters, R Horlen, L John, R Fisher, R Whilhelm, L Pizzaro almost got us to the promised land on a couple of occasions..ah, did I mention those "Damn Yankees"..

BK59

Lip Man 1
06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Pierce threw in the low 90's and as he said in his interview Williams and DiMaggio both said he threw very hard. Pizarro was lights out, could bring heat in the mid to upper 90's, Peters was sneaky fast his ball would be on you before you were ready and he broke a ton of bats.

John didn't throw hard at all but had a killer sinker, Horlen could throw hard when he needed it but his strenght was keeping the ball low in the zone.

Johnny Buzhardt had a very good sinker and Ray Herbert could throw hard.

Wilhelm was a knuckball pitcher and the best... ditto for Wilbur Wood. Bob Locker threw a killer sinker, Don Mossi threw hard as did Don McMahon.

Lip

SI1020
06-27-2011, 08:59 PM
All time against the Yankees Pierce was 25-37, too bad he didn't pitch against Ford all the time.
If Pierce pitched for the Yankees his record would have been much better and he would be in the Hall of Fame.
Those Friday night games at Comiskey with Ford against Pierce were a real event with 45,000 fans screaming their lungs out especially when Aparicio got on base and everyone yelling... GO-GO-GO-GO! He was 1-5 in 1951, and 2-5 in 1952, while pitching much better than his record indicated. They saved him for Cleveland and New York and it hurt his record. Billy Pierce got seriously disrespected by the HOF voters, and now he gets it again on this shall we say highly subjective list.

soxfan1965
06-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Pierce threw in the low 90's and as he said in his interview Williams and DiMaggio both said he threw very hard. Pizarro was lights out, could bring heat in the mid to upper 90's, Peters was sneaky fast his ball would be on you before you were ready and he broke a ton of bats.

John didn't throw hard at all but had a killer sinker, Horlen could throw hard when he needed it but his strenght was keeping the ball low in the zone.

Johnny Buzhardt had a very good sinker and Ray Herbert could throw hard.

Wilhelm was a knuckball pitcher and the best... ditto for Wilbur Wood. Bob Locker threw a killer sinker, Don Mossi threw hard as did Don McMahon.

Lip

Very good and interesting info here. I would add Eddie Fisher to this list (top pitchers of that era, not top 50). Dr. Wilhelm (as Bob Elson called him) should be higher on the top 50 list. When he was on, it was like seeing Gale Sayers doing his magic pre-1968, fans were awestruck at what his ball would do. I would have liked to see Ken Berry make the list because he defense was pretty solid. With a little more hitting, that awesome pitching staff could have been a dynasty team from 64-67.

Noneck
06-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Very good and interesting info here. I would add Eddie Fisher to this list (top pitchers of that era, not top 50). Dr. Wilhelm (as Bob Elson called him) should be higher on the top 50 list. When he was on, it was like seeing Gale Sayers doing his magic pre-1968, fans were awestruck at what his ball would do. I would have liked to see Ken Berry make the list because he defense was pretty solid. With a little more hitting, that awesome pitching staff could have been a dynasty team from 64-67.

Considering that his most and best years for a team was with the Sox and he is a HOFer, you are right he should be higher on the list. Also The Commander called him Doc Wilhelm and his amazing medicine show.

Procol Harum
06-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Agreed that Fisk should rank higher than Ordonez or Ventura, but top 10 a little too high, given that company (Fox, Aparicio, Thomas, Appling, Jackson, Collins, etc.). Also agree on Durham--IMHO the most-overrated player in the list.

With a little more hitting, that awesome pitching staff could have been a dynasty team from 64-67.

True dat. Yes, that pitching staff was that good--if we would've had any kind of hitting the Sox would have been in the World Series (consider the fact that the highest averages for regulars on the '67 team were logged by Berry and Buford at .241, and that Pete Ward led the team in homers with 18!) at least a couple of times. In a divisional set-up they would have been hellacious with Peters, Horlen, Buzhardt, John, Wilhelm, Fisher, Locker.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Noneck:

It was actually his "dancing (or) traveling medicine show..." Bob sometimes used both.

Lip

Noneck
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Noneck:

It was actually his "dancing (or) traveling medicine show..." Bob sometimes used both.

Lip

The human mind is amazing how it can remember such things after 45 years.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Or just weird! :D:

Lip

BigKlu59
06-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Or just weird! :D:

Lip

Funny how you can remember that stuff like it happened just yesterday...But cant find your keys for the car, or remember a name spoken to you just 2 mins earlier...:D:

Thats what kind of impression these guys made in our sandlot lives..Hell, I still remember a home plate collision in a close Sox/Yanks game that blew out Honey Romano's knee and he was never the same after that...

Wasnt J.C. Martin the designated catcher for both Doc and Eddie to corral their dancing beans? Seemed like "The Commander" used to make reference to this and his peach basket Catcher's mitt..

BK59

Lip Man 1
06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
True he was. Remember though MLB outlawed the knuckleball catcher's mit. Don't remember the year.

J.C. also caught Wilbur so he had his work cut out for him.

Romano hated catching the knuckleball, flat out hated it and one time when he had to because J.C. and McNertney were hurt, he started walking towards the Sox dugout throwing off his gear after missing the first two pitches from Hoyt. Stanky literally had to push him back out on to the field because the Sox had nobody else.

Lip

BigKlu59
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
True he was. Remember though MLB outlawed the knuckleball catcher's mit. Don't remember the year.

J.C. also caught Wilbur so he had his work cut out for him.

Romano hated catching the knuckleball, flat out hated it and one time when he had to because J.C. and McNertney were hurt, he started walking towards the Sox dugout throwing off his gear after missing the first two pitches from Hoyt. Stanky literally had to push him back out on to the field because the Sox had nobody else.

Lip

Sounds like a "Stanky" Sox moment... We had alot of those, didnt we..Ah, nostalgia... I can feel for Honey though.. When I plied the "tools of ignorance" as a lad caught a few guys that had some dancing beans that moved like something out of a "My Favorite Martian" script.. glove goes one way..ooops... ball goes to the back stop:D:

I'd like to see the stats for that game.. Whadhehave...6 PB's :D:

I wasnt aware they outlawed the peach basket.. Had to be somewhere in the mid 70's.

Yup, Wilbur was a workhorse. That guy could throw 50 innings and not break a sweat tossing the orb plateward.. Jerry McNertney, wow...Now thats a blast from the past... Hey, Smokey could have caught. Might not be able to come up out of the crouch, but hey..

BK59

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2011, 02:01 PM
All of these guys werent overpowering in the Koufax sense of heat.. They were as I would say "PITCHERS" pitchers.. all worked the plate and moved the ball around and used Comiskey's soggy turf to get opponents to mash the ball into the quagmire around the plate and thru the jungle of infield turf.. See the interview with Ken Berry on the home page.. He pretty much sums it up..

I only saw Horlen and Whilhelm perform their prestadigitation..I was a wee bit to young to comprehend Early and Billy.. But hung on every tale from the oldtimers when they were mentioned.

We got Hoyt from the Orioles if i recall and he was DR. Knuckleball. At one time we had two Butterfly tossers on the staff when Eddie Fisher plied the trade as well.. Hense with this magic and the Sub power Sox alot of one run tilts..

That 60's staff .... L Peters, R Horlen, L John, R Fisher, R Whilhelm, L Pizzaro almost got us to the promised land on a couple of occasions..ah, did I mention those "Damn Yankees"..

BK59
And the Twins in 65, and the BoSox along with the Twins and Tigers in 67. Actually in 67 we beat ourselves by losing the last 5 straight to the 2 worst teams in the league. That pitching staff in 67 was incredible.

BigKlu59
06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
And the Twins in 65, and the BoSox along with the Twins and Tigers in 67. Actually in 67 we beat ourselves by losing the last 5 straight to the 2 worst teams in the league. That pitching staff in 67 was incredible.

Ya... those pesky Twins.. I recall asking my Dad who the hell are these guys? Diddnt help that they had Kitty Kaat and Tony Olivo who always seemed to slap the damn ball someplace we couldnt flag down at the most inoppourtune time... 67 was a really ****ty year for me on sports fandom.. Watched my Hawks Locomotive run off of the tracks in April... and my Pale Hose fade away in Sept... :(:

The Tiggers? Kaline and the crew..Had our Buddy Norm Cash and a guy called Lolich we had once on the farm...

BK59

Lip Man 1
06-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Lolich was never Sox property Klu, you're thinking about Denny McLain.

Lip

BigKlu59
06-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Lip

I'm slippin....went back and forth between those two and came up snake eyes.. I knew one of em was ours at one time. Its all the same story though...We had em they go away and come back to vanquish us in the future...

Thanks for the slap in the bean, Professor. This stuff is noted on the website.. I should check my sources before winging it..

Who knew Denny would have suffered from the Hornung/Karras disease..

BK59

SI1020
06-28-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm slippin....went back and forth between those two and came up snake eyes.. I knew one of em was ours at one time. Its all the same story though...We had em they go away and come back to vanquish us in the future...

Thanks for the slap in the bean, Professor. This stuff is noted on the website.. I should check my sources before winging it..

Who knew Denny would have suffered from the Hornung/Karras disease..

BK59 The man had his demons that's for sure. Too bad, for a couple of years he was about as good as it gets.

Noneck
06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Too bad, for a couple of years he was about as good as it gets.

Last to win 30 in a year. I sure as hell will never see another pitcher get 30 wins in a season. I wonder if anyone will.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Here's the story behind why the Sox had to unload McLain who was from Chicago and played Catholic League baseball on the South Side in high school:

April 8, 1963 - One of the biggest ‘what if’s’ in franchise history takes place. As per the rules at the time, the White Sox had to choose between two pitchers signed to ‘bonus baby’ contracts. The rules stated that only one player signed to a deal for over a certain amount could remain in the organization. The other would have to be waived. With that in mind rookies Bruce Howard and Denny McLain squared off in an intra-squad game to see who was released and who got promoted to Double A. Howard won 2 - 1. McLain got his walking papers and was claimed by Detroit. He’d go on to win 131 big league games including 31 in 1968.

Milo Hamilton told me in his interview that he remembered McLain coming out to Comiskey, sitting in the first few rows of seats and generally acting like an ass towards the players when he was still in high school.

Lip

SI1020
06-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Here's the story behind why the Sox had to unload McLain who was from Chicago and played Catholic League baseball on the South Side in high school:

April 8, 1963 - One of the biggest ‘what if’s’ in franchise history takes place. As per the rules at the time, the White Sox had to choose between two pitchers signed to ‘bonus baby’ contracts. The rules stated that only one player signed to a deal for over a certain amount could remain in the organization. The other would have to be waived. With that in mind rookies Bruce Howard and Denny McLain squared off in an intra-squad game to see who was released and who got promoted to Double A. Howard won 2 - 1. McLain got his walking papers and was claimed by Detroit. He’d go on to win 131 big league games including 31 in 1968.

Milo Hamilton told me in his interview that he remembered McLain coming out to Comiskey, sitting in the first few rows of seats and generally acting like an ass towards the players when he was still in high school.

Lip McClain went to Mt. Carmel where he played shortstop and pitcher.

ode to veeck
06-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Bobby Jenks ahead of AJ and Crede, no way

SI1020
06-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Bobby Jenks ahead of AJ and Crede, no way To say it's a lousy list would be charitable.

ode to veeck
06-29-2011, 01:21 AM
To say it's a lousy list would be charitable.

the top ten are pretty impressive though

Nellie_Fox
06-29-2011, 01:33 AM

LipIIRC, it came down to McClain and Bruce Howard for the last slot on the Sox' pitching staff. Howard got it. The rest is history.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Actually Nellie (see my earlier post) it was for a spot in double A Lynchberg.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
06-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Actully Nellie (see my earlier post) it was for a spot in double A Lynchberg.

LipThanks Lip. The first time in a long time that I posted in a thread that I hadn't read much of, and I step in it.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2011, 02:12 AM
No worries...it happens.

Lip

BigKlu59
06-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Boy Howdy.....:D:

BK59

Soxfest
07-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Chet Lemon way before Bobby Jenks.

Alexei4president
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
dick allen that high....cmon

SI1020
07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
dick allen that high....cmon Overall the most talented Sox player in my lifetime.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Dick was one of the best I've ever seen with the Sox that's for sure.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2011, 01:05 AM
dick allen that high....cmonYou never saw him play.

PalehosePlanet
07-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Dick was one of the best I've ever seen with the Sox that's for sure.

Lip

Yep, and the reason, as a kid, I became a die hard Sox fan.

BTW, Lip I love when guys like you, Klu, SI, NoNeck, Nellie and the rest talk about the '50's & '60's teams that I've only read about. That's always my favorite reading on WSI.

Thanks for dropping some knowledge on us fellas!

SI1020
07-02-2011, 10:13 AM
You never saw him play. Dick Allen did so many things that didn't show up in a box score, in addition to being a feared hitter. I still remember a buzz in the old ball park just because Dick Allen was in the on deck circle.

Golden Sox
07-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Some of the Black Sox should be on the list. None of them were found guilty in the court of law. As a matter of fact all eight of them were found not guilty. The Commisioner of Baseball banned them for life simply because he was just another stupid Cubs fan who wanted to destroy the White Sox franchise. I always wondered why the eight Black Sox didn't sue baseball after they were banned after being found not guilty in court. As a matter of fact Mr. Landis was enraged when the good guys from the South Side of Chicago beat the bad guys in the 1906 World Series. He might have congratulated the White Sox on there 1917 World Series win, but his heart was always with the bad guys from the Northside of Chicago.

TommyJohn
07-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Some of the Black Sox should be on the list. None of them were found guilty in the court of law. As a matter of fact all eight of them were found not guilty. The Commisioner of Baseball banned them for life simply because he was just another stupid Cubs fan who wanted to destroy the White Sox franchise. I always wondered why the eight Black Sox didn't sue baseball after they were banned after being found not guilty in court.

Whew. Not much to say about this one...

Lip Man 1
07-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Golden:

Actually historically Landis was a Sox fan. Even sent the team a congratulatory telegram after the club finished the Giants in the 1917 World Series.

He was a federal judge out of Chicago before he was named commissioner.

Lip

Alexei4president
07-02-2011, 09:48 PM
You never saw him play.

no i never did but a man that played for a team for 3 years does not deserve to be on the top 50 of all time......its just stupid

Lip Man 1
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Even though said man won the MVP award once, led the league in home runs twice, had the largest number of votes for the All Star Game and nearly single handidly "saved" (in the words of both Roland Hemond and Chuck Tanner) a franchise that had one foot out of town?

Lip

Daver
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
no i never did but a man that played for a team for 3 years does not deserve to be on the top 50 of all time......its just stupid

Much like the refusal to use the shift key or punctuation.

Noneck
07-03-2011, 12:26 AM

Read what Lip said and you should realize he should be in the top 10 of Greatest White Sox Players even though he wasnt here long.

Daver
07-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Here is a little perspective to the Dick Allen discussion, had the line drive that hit John Danks in the head been hit by Dick, John would be very lucky not to be dead. I have never seen anyone that could hit a ball harder than Dick Allen could, no one.

Noneck
07-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Here is a little perspective to the Dick Allen discussion, had the line drive that hit John Danks in the head been hit by Dick, John would be very lucky not to be dead. I have never seen anyone that could hit a ball harder than Dick Allen could, no one.

Just imaging that gave me the heebeegeebees.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Here is a little perspective to the Dick Allen discussion, had the line drive that hit John Danks in the head been hit by Dick, John would be very lucky not to be dead. I have never seen anyone that could hit a ball harder than Dick Allen could, no one.And he was not a classic pull hitter. He generally hit screaming line drives back up the middle.

Falstaff
07-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Dick Allen did so many things that didn't show up in a box score, in addition to being a feared hitter. I still remember a buzz in the old ball park just because Dick Allen was in the on deck circle.
Ya I agree, Dick Allen energized the south side and made me a life long Sox fan in 1972. "Things that didn't show up in box score" brings to mind his talent for running across the street to get a burrito and pinch hitting with sauce on his shirt. As well as working the hit and run.

HomeFish
07-03-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that nobody has suggested that Aaron Rowand should be on this list. A few years ago this would not have been the case.

Alexei4president
07-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Much like the refusal to use the shift key or punctuation.

**** u *******

Mod Edit: Bad idea, not that you probably care. Have a nice life.

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Dick Allen did so many things that didn't show up in a box score, in addition to being a feared hitter. I still remember a buzz in the old ball park just because Dick Allen was in the on deck circle.

It is sad that he only spent 3 years with the Sox, he just about owned the city and the fans loved him. If he would have spent say 10 years with us he might be #1 on the list. The man had all the talent in the world and was probably the best all around player we ever had.