PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Cuban Missile Crisis Costs Sox the Game 6/24 Postgame

Domeshot17
06-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Stupid plays like that keep Alexei from being an elite infielder. His range is incredible but his throws are so inconsistent.

Pretty bad bullpen management too. Give the offense credit, they fought as much as they could. But the Bullpen looked like they were trying to lose. Hell of a game by Edwin too. Nice to see Dunn coming around.

This is one that should have been won and wasn't.

Hitmen77
06-25-2011, 01:10 AM
1-9 w/ RISP
2011 Chicago White Sox:angry:

80 wins here we come!!!!

hi im skot
Lots of blame to go around tonight, but Alexei is certainly the goat.

sox1970
Quality team loss.

ChiSoxGal85
06-25-2011, 01:11 AM
That game was a freakin' roller coaster ride. I'm spent. It's frustrating that they couldn't pull it out, but at least they showed some fight.

Of all things, Mark Teahen is the hero hitter who ties up the game in the 9th. So many other opportunities to score were wasted though. Then the usually reliable Sergio Santos gives up a HR in the 10th. Damn it.

I'm going to tomorrow's game and wanted it to be the game that the Sox hit .500, plus everybody else lost and the Sox could've made up ground...oh well...so much for that.

Zakath
Stupid plays like that keep Alexei from being an elite infielder. His range is incredible but his throws is so inconsistent.

Pretty bad bullpen management too. Give the offense credit, they fought as much as they could. But the Bullpen looked like they were trying to lose. Hell of a game by Edwin too.

Should have been won a number of times and wasn't.

Can't really blame Teahen that much on the throw by Alexei.

I know the Nats aren't used to winning that much, but they need to act like they've actually won a game before. Jesus, Morse acted like they'd just won Game 7 of the Series.

LongLiveFisk
Just can't reach the .500 mark.

It's pretty sad when you can't even get to "average."

WhiteSox5187
First off, the game should not have gotten this far because the Nationals and Coffee were TRYING to give us the game in the 10th. But at this point it is almost foolish to expect for the Sox to actually get a run across with runners in scoring position and less than two outs.

Secondly, as has been said what keeps Alexei from being the best short stop in the AL is that he is just ****ing stupid and lazy. He should be benched tomorrow.

soltrain21
Lots of blame to go around tonight, but Alexei is certainly the goat.

Hardly the greatest of all time. That honor belongs to Chris Sabo.

Hitmen77
Stupid plays like that keep Alexei from being an elite infielder. His range is incredible but his throws are so inconsistent.

Pretty bad bullpen management too. Give the offense credit, they fought as much as they could. But the Bullpen looked like they were trying to lose. Hell of a game by Edwin too. Nice to see Dunn coming around.

He does seem to make these kinds of plays at the most inopportune times.

Tragg
06-25-2011, 01:12 AM
Serious error by the dugout to use the garbage-time reliever to get out of a jam in a tie game in the 8th.

russ99
06-25-2011, 01:12 AM
Our clutch hitting and bullpen let us down tonight. Alexei's misplay didn't help, but we had many opportunities to win yet again.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-25-2011, 01:13 AM
Thorton was throwing well before the error by Alexei and then you could just see his concentration fall apart. So 2011-y.

cws05champ
06-25-2011, 01:14 AM
It's hard to be too upset after they came back 3 times to tie. After pathetic offense for 8.1 innings, they finally got some things going. After that error by Alexei, they just looked like a basketball team that was down 20 the whole game only to push at the end and expend all of their energy to get even...they had nothing left.

Lip Man 1
Let's see Detroit lost...Minnesota lost...Cleveland lost. A GOLDEN opportunity and the Sox urinated it down the toilet.

4-7 in extra inning games this year and they've lost the last four extras in a row.

Now have two 14 inning losses and two 12 inning ones on the season.

Can't get the clutch hit, Ramirez with another stupid game costing play. 2011 White Sox, inconsistent at best.

Oh and they've now lost the first game of the last four straight series.

Should be a fun afternoon game tomorrow with probably a dead tired team.

Lip

BringHomeDaBacon
When you start out with Pierre and Morel at the top of your lineup, use Brian Bruney in the 8th and 9th inning and then remove the hottest hitter on the planet for a 44 year old pinch runner you don't deserve to win.

ChicagoG19
We win that game if Dayan is in the lineup instead of Pierre. 0 for 6. Enough said.

DickAllen72
06-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Nice game by AJ.

I disagreed with Ozzie calling for the intentional walk to Werth in the 14th.

Tough loss.

I wonder if Teahen earned a start over Pierre in Ozzie's eyes.....I doubt it. I would platoon Lillibridge with Teahen in LF until Viciedo is called up next month.

TheOldRoman
06-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Bull****. Playing a not-very-good team, given countless chances and they still couldn't win it. The offense should have up runs before the 9th inning. Horrible play by Alexei, and then the floodgates open, as they often do.

As horrible as Pierre was tonight (and he was as bad as he has ever been), my goat of the game is Lillibridge. If he DOESN'T JUMP OUT OF THE ****ing WAY, or even turns his back to the pitch and gets hit in the 10th inning, the Sox win the game and save 5 innings of bullpen work. At that point in the game, with the bases loaded, that is inexcusable. You have to let yourself get hit. He cost the Sox the game as much as anybody.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Serious error by the dugout to use the garbage-time reliever to get out of a jam in a tie game in the 8th.

I actually understand that. Even though we had an off day yesterday, that bullpen got used a lot in the Cubs series and I think the hope was Bruney could get you out of it and you could save the bulk of your pen. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

russ99
06-25-2011, 01:17 AM
We win that game if Dayan is in the lineup instead of Pierre. 0 for 6. Enough said.

Doubtful. Dayan would swing for the fences like everyone else and wouldn't be able to drive runs in either.

I'm still waiting for a Sox hitter to shorten their swing and go the other way in a RISP situation. Looks like I'm going to wait all year, maybe longer if Walker doesn't get the axe.

You could even say Lillibridge with his ridiculous homer swings in extras cost us this one.

JermaineDye05
06-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Tie it twice only to lose.

That's White Sox baseball for you.

Zero confidence in this team unless Humber is starting.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Bull****. Playing a not-very-good team, given countless chances and they still couldn't win it. The offense should have up runs before the 9th inning. Horrible play by Alexei, and then the floodgates open, as they often do.

As horrible as Pierre was tonight (and he was as bad as he has ever been), my goat of the game is Lillibridge. If he DOESN'T JUMP OUT OF THE ****ing WAY, or even turns his back to the pitch in the 10th inning, the Sox win the game and save 5 innings of bullpen work. At that point in the game, with the bases loaded, that is inexcusable. He cost the Sox the game as much as anybody.

I don't know if I blame Lillibridge for not getting hit, he did have a bad AB and was WAY too aggressive with a guy who just couldn't buy a strike.

I also think walking Werth was a big mistake.

Tragg
06-25-2011, 01:18 AM
I wonder if Teahen earned a start over Pierre in Ozzie's eyes.....I doubt it. I would platoon Lillibridge with Teahen in LF until Viciedo is called up next month.
Over Pierre? Not a chance. His ego won't allow it. Over Morel or Lilibridge, sure.
Do you think he'd have pinch hit Teahen for Pierre? Again, not a chance.

Foulke You
06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
I'll try to stay positive here. We didn't lose ground tonight. We fought hard against a red hot team and came up short. Adam Dunn looked "hitterish" up there tonight. Should have had a 2 run HR if not for an amazing play and he also had a double and a single.

06-25-2011, 01:20 AM
This game truly had it all:

Terrible bullpen management by Ozzie letting Bruney pitch to Morse in a high leverage situation when apparently Crain was available

Awful pitchcalling by AJ calling that changeup on the HR to Nix when on the previous pitch, Santos made him look like an absolute fool on a curve

Getting ****ed in the 14th by: a slow hit roller, a bad call, an 0-2 pitch called a ball just off the corner that could have gone either way, Alexei making an error on an easy routine play, and then a flukey seeing-eye single to open the game up

Brutal again with RISP: 1-10
- Related to that, was the ****ing miserable at-bat by Lillibridge where not only did he miss the ****ing hanging breaking ball of all hanging breaking balls at the goddamn belt, but later in the at-bat turning away from a fastball that was headed for his ribs that would've ended the game and ultimately striking out on a pitch out of the zone.

And of course, ending the game on a GIDP

But, big time props to both Teahen and AJ with those clutch HRs. Those were something we haven't seen since 2006.

Patrick134
06-25-2011, 01:20 AM

As horrible as Pierre was tonight (and he was as bad as he has ever been), my goat of the game is Lillibridge. If he DOESN'T JUMP OUT OF THE ****ing WAY, or even turns his back to the pitch and gets hit in the 10th inning, the Sox win the game and save 5 innings of bullpen work. At that point in the game, with the bases loaded, that is inexcusable. You have to let yourself get hit. He cost the Sox the game as much as anybody.

Worst of all, at some point in that AB, he took a completely unnecessary home run cut and whiffed on it.

sox1970
06-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Go 12-3 to the break, and I'll forget this game ever happened.

Tough one.

canOcorn
06-25-2011, 01:21 AM
It makes me sick that the White Sox let Ozzie let crap all over himself.

It's one thing to wave for a pitcher who's not ready, but it's another to call multiple times for a pitcher who sucks.

Please fire Ozzie he makes it worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

voodoochile
06-25-2011, 01:22 AM
As I said in the game thread this was one of those nights where I really see the validity of the BABIP stat. The Sox just killed balls all night long and had very little to show for it. Heck in the first inning they sent to rockets that were just hit right at the defense. Then Dunn did his thing then someone else just missed winning and then of course Alex in the 14th just missing another 3 run bomb. Woulda coulda shoulda and I'm sure there will be people who will rant and rave about my post, but this was a game the Sox very easily could have won with a little wind blown luck and I mean a very little bit of wind blown luck...

WhiteSox5187
Worst of all, at some point in that AB, he took a completely unnecessary home run cut and whiffed on it.

I believe that was on a 1-0 pitch too. He had a bad AB.

Foulke You
I also think walking Werth was a big mistake.
Agreed. Werth looked awful at the plate tonight. No reason to IBB him.

Tragg
06-25-2011, 01:24 AM
I actually understand that. Even though we had an off day yesterday, that bullpen got used a lot in the Cubs series and I think the hope was Bruney could get you out of it and you could save the bulk of your pen. Unfortunately that didn't happen.
Not with runners on base, when we hadn't scored a run. No way.
An empty inning, I could go with it.
We also have a starter we could use.

Noneck
06-25-2011, 01:24 AM

Yea I sure didnt get that move, I thought Crain was hurt or something and then they ride him. Bad move in an important situation.

Jollyroger2
06-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Should have been won a number of times and wasn't.

Can't really blame Teahen that much on the throw by Alexei.

I know the Nats aren't used to winning that much, but they need to act like they've actually won a game before. Jesus, Morse acted like they'd just won Game 7 of the Series.

I look at the flip side. First the Sox got an extra out in the 8th. Yeah I know I'll get flamed but I've never seen an ump reverse a call like that. It would have been a bad call, but the call shouldnt have been reversed. So the Sox got an extra out and didn't do anything with it.

Then the Nats blew it in the 9th. Sox had two hits that somehow made it past the infield...then their closer who's been excellent gives up a bomb to a guy hitting .197. How often does that happen? I mean the Sox did absolutely nothing for 8 innings then got literally a miracle. Did they really deserve to win?

I don't mind the Nats celebrating. I'm here in the DC area and would love to see the Sox show the emotion those guys do, even if they aren't a playoff team yet. They're hot right now. So why not celebrate a crazy win?

This is just another example of the Sox not coming through when they need to. How many times this year have the Indians, etc lost and the Sox could have gained? It sucks but it's getting predictable.

JermaineDye05
06-25-2011, 01:26 AM
You can ignore it all you want, but the fact is that the White Sox aren't making the postseason as long as Juan Pierre is starting in their lineup.

Foulke You
06-25-2011, 01:26 AM
As I said in the game thread this was one of those nights where I really see the validity of the BABIP stat. The Sox just killed balls all night long and had very little to show for it. Heck in the first inning they sent to rockets that were just hit right at the defense. Then Dunn did his thing then someone else just missed winning and then of course Alex in the 14th just missing another 3 run bomb. Woulda coulda shoulda and I'm sure there will be people who will rant and rave about my post, but this was a game the Sox very easily could have won with a little wind blown luck and I mean a very little bit of wind blown luck...
The Nats also had a lot go their way too. A blown call at 1B, some seeing eye grounders in the hole, etc. It's just been that type of season for the Sox unfortunately.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Yea I sure didnt get that move, I thought Crain was hurt or something and then they ride him. Bad move in an important situation.

Crane has been used a LOT. I completely understand not using him. Yes, I know that he had an off day yesterday but maybe one day wasn't enough.

DickAllen72
06-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Over Pierre? Not a chance. His ego won't allow it. Over Morel or Lilibridge, sure.
Do you think he'd have pinch hit Teahen for Pierre? Again, not a chance.
Sadly, I believe you are correct on all your points.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2011, 01:29 AM
You can ignore it all you want, but the fact is that the White Sox aren't making the postseason as long as Juan Pierre is starting in their lineup.

Juan Pierre is NOT what is keeping this team from the playoffs. Rios, Dunn and Beckham are hurting this team far more than Pierre is.

captain54
Woulda coulda shoulda and I'm sure there will be people who will rant and rave about my post, but this was a game the Sox very easily could have won with a little wind blown luck and I mean a very little bit of wind blown luck...

who gives a rats rump about luck...this is a bad fundamental team with a horrible offensive approach... the ability to drive a runner home with less than two outs is what good fundamental baseball teams and division winners do.. the game should have been over long before the 14th....

Domeshot17
One thing a friend of mine from Atlanta noticed when watching the MLBN feed, When AJ hit that homer to tie it, there was zero emotion from the Sox dugout. Big hit like that, guys should be up on the edge of the fence, and they aren't. This is pretty common with us. I don't know if its a bad reflection on Ozzie or the club house leaders like PK and Burls and AJ, but having played a great deal of baseball, that is mostly an issue of being bought into the team and team chemistry.

I do agree with others that this was just another case of Ozzie getting in the teams way. You don't pull Chris Sale to pitch Bruney, ever.

Pierre 0-6, Alexei with the huge error, I bet he benches Gordon again.

JermaineDye05
06-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Juan Pierre is NOT what is keeping this team from the playoffs. Rios, Dunn and Beckham are hurting this team far more than Pierre is.

You can bet your ass he isn't helping. Considering his contract is up after this year, it's beyond stupid to keep playing him.

Domeshot17
who gives a rats rump about luck...this is a bad fundamental team with a horrible offensive approach... the ability to drive a runner home with less than two outs is what good fundamental baseball teams and division winners do.. the game should have been over long before the 14th....

Easier to blame bad luck then admit this is a flawed team with an expired manager.

WhiteSox5187
One thing a friend of mine from Atlanta noticed when watching the MLBN feed, When AJ hit that homer to tie it, there was zero emotion from the Sox dugout. Big hit like that, guys should be up on the edge of the fence, and they aren't. This is pretty common with us. I don't know if its a bad reflection on Ozzie or the club house leaders like PK and Burls and AJ, but having played a great deal of baseball, that is mostly an issue of being bought into the team and team chemistry.

I do agree with others that this was just another case of Ozzie getting in the teams way. You don't pull Chris Sale to pitch Bruney, ever.

Pierre 0-6, Alexei with the huge error, I bet he benches Gordon again.

There was another game earlier this year where Konerko hit a game tying home run late in the game and only AJ was excited. That is a very unnerving.

06-25-2011, 01:32 AM

C'mon man, just give him some more time. He'll break out of his slump!

Tragg
06-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Sadly, I believe you are correct on all your points.

What scares me is that since Viciedo doesn't fit Guillen's profile, Williams will trade some of our scarce young players (Viciedo or Sale) for a younger PIerre, like Michael Bourne.

Williams just needs to DFA Pierre and call up Viciedo.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Dome:

Serious question...what team leaders?

Buehrle, Konerko, A.J. all now quiet, lead by example, that's not their style. Sox got rid of all the emotional guys they had years ago, Ozzie said he's the leader of the team in the clubhouse.

This team is in deep **** if that's the case. No teal.

Lip

DickAllen72
06-25-2011, 01:35 AM
As horrible as Pierre was tonight (and he was as bad as he has ever been), my goat of the game is Lillibridge. If he DOESN'T JUMP OUT OF THE ****ing WAY, or even turns his back to the pitch and gets hit in the 10th inning, the Sox win the game and save 5 innings of bullpen work. At that point in the game, with the bases loaded, that is inexcusable. You have to let yourself get hit.
I agree that he should have "taken one for the team" there, but I'll cut him a little slack as I think it was just a reflex to jump out of the way. I'll bet he realized his mistake as soon as that pitch went by. But I must admit I was thinking the same thing when he jumped out of the way.

Oh, and of course I also agree with your first point about Pierre.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2011, 01:36 AM
You can bet your ass he isn't helping. Considering his contract is up after this year, it's beyond stupid to keep playing him.

He's not helping but to imply that Pierre is what is hindering this team is foolish. Allow me to say this unequivocally, Juan Pierre sucks. His best asset as a player was his speed and now that is gone, but he is not what is going to keep the Sox from making the playoffs. Our DH is hitting under .200 and has as many home runs as Brent Lillibridge, Rios is hitting better but is still hitting under .250 and Gordon Beckham has developed a very long swing and no one on this team can get so much as a fly ball with a runner on third and less than two outs.

Domeshot17
06-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Dome:

Buehrle, Konerko, A.J. all now quiet, lead by example, that's not their style. Sox got rid of all the emotional guys they had years ago, Ozzie said he's the leader of the team in the clubhouse.

Lip

I have felt the same way for a while. The only one who leads with any kind of emotion might be Peavy,but its hard to establish leadership and earn respect when you can't stay healthy.

This team just feels like it is a behind the scenes mess. ****, in Ozzie's post game interview he had no idea who tomorrow's SP was. Just going through the motions.

JermaineDye05
06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
He's not helping but to imply that Pierre is what is hindering this team is foolish. Allow me to say this unequivocally, Juan Pierre sucks. His best asset as a player was his speed and now that is gone, but he is not what is going to keep the Sox from making the playoffs. Our DH is hitting under .200 and has as many home runs as Brent Lillibridge, Rios is hitting better but is still hitting under .250 and Gordon Beckham has developed a very long swing and no one on this team can get so much as a fly ball with a runner on third and less than two outs.

You're stuck with Dunn and Rios. Pierre is gone after this year. It's stupid to keep playing him.

DickAllen72
06-25-2011, 01:41 AM
What scares me is that since Viciedo doesn't fit Guillen's profile, Williams will trade some of our scarce young players (Viciedo or Sale) for a younger PIerre, like Michael Bourne.

Williams just needs to DFA Pierre and call up Viciedo.
If Williams traded Viciedo or Sale for Bourne, Guillen would stay up nights trying to think of creative ways to keep both Pierre and Bourne in the lineup. :cool:

You're right, Williams needs to DFA Pierre and bring up Viciedo. I'm hoping he's planning on doing just that in another 10 days or so when the date passes which gives the Sox an extra year before Viciedo can become a free agent.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Exactly. Like it or not, the ship will be going down with Rios, Dunn and Beckham for a few more years - barring trade, it is foolish to expect differently. As Erstad, Kotsay etc were blips on the radar so is Pierre. The bad and long contracts of Rios and Dunn should not mean that they have to grant the same leash to every other player.

BainesHOF
06-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Great home runs by Teahen and Pierzynski.

Unfortunately, Teahen was as mobile as the Tin Man on Vizquel's throwing error and he didn't come close to picking Ramirez's throwing error. Pierzynski made two horrible pitch calls on Washington's two home runs. It's to the point that he's flat out having a bad year with his pitch calling, which used to be his huge strength. I'm not sure how you can even debate those two pitch calls tonight.

Another total mishandling of the pitchers, starting with the removal of Jackson.

It's a bad joke that Pierre remains in the lineup at this point. Shame on Guillen and shame on Williams for allowing it to continue.

Any team that allows the opposition to steal bases at will is not a good team. Washington went 4-for-4 in stolen-base attempts tonight, including one in the 14th inning where we just blatantly allowed the Nationals to steal second. It's easy to see why we're 4-7 in extra-inning games. What other team just concedes second base in a tied game? It's so Little League.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2011, 02:06 AM

Unfortunately, Teahen was as mobile as the Tin Man on Vizquel's throwing error and he didn't come close to picking Ramirez's throwing error. Pierzynski made two horrible pitch calls on Washington's two home runs. It's to the point that he's flat out having a bad year with his pitch calling, which used to be his huge strength. I'm not sure how you can even debate those two pitch calls tonight.

Another total mishandling of the pitchers, starting with the removal of Jackson.

It's a bad joke that Pierre remains in the lineup at this point. Shame on Guillen and shame on Williams for allowing it to continue.

Any team that allows the opposition to steal bases at will is not a good team. Washington went 4-for-4 in stolen-base attempts tonight, including one in the 14th inning where we just blatantly allowed the Nationals to steal second. It's easy to see why we're 4-7 in extra-inning games. What other team just gives up second base in a tied game? It's so Little League.

At the end of the night the pitcher has the final say about the pitch, if he doesn't like it he can shake it off. Something I have noticed about Santos is he is in love with his slider. He loves throwing it and when it breaks it is devastating. The problem is it tends to hang a bit and that's what happened tonight.

MetroPD
06-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Dome:

Lip
need some help?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/195/392/55855536_crop_358x243.jpg?1303825444

Jollyroger2
06-25-2011, 02:23 AM

Any team that allows the opposition to steal bases at will is not a good team. Washington went 4-for-4 in stolen-base attempts tonight, including one in the 14th inning where we just blatantly allowed the Nationals to steal second. It's easy to see why we're 4-7 in extra-inning games. What other team just concedes second base in a tied game? It's so Little League.

Washington is a very good base stealing team. They were like 62 for 80 coming into tonight. Combine that with a Sox team that can't throw out guys worth snot and they were going to feast. Probably will see more of that the rest of the weekend.

Crooked Number
06-25-2011, 02:34 AM
Just got home from this one. Wow.

What a baseball game. I can honestly say this was most likely the wildest, craziest, most exciting regular season game I've ever attended.

I didn't read through the thread, but i'm sure the key points have been touched on:

Zero to Zero in the eighth inning, what pitcher am I going to go with? If you guessed Brian Bruney, then congratulations you must also be trying to lose a major league baseball game. Fireable managing. Right there folks. Hyperbole aside, that was the worst bullpen call of the season. I was not surprised one bit when that ball sailed out.

When Teahen came onto the on deck circle, I said to the group "Teahen is going to hit a three run bomb to tie this up." Boom. Magic.

When AJ had two strikes on him I said "AJ is going to hit this one over the best buy bullpen ad in right" Boom. Magic.

When we had the bases loaded with 1 out just needing a fly ball to win, I did not feel any magic. It was crazy. :?:

There were so many weird and wacky things that happened, it truly was a game that had everything. A good pitchers duel until the very late innings. Some high, high drama to tie up the game three different times. Three blown saves in one game by a team. Wow? Phil Humber was warming up in the 14th.

I saw some amazing jerseys. Waldo, and Waldo Jr in authentic Sox jerseys, a woman with an ESPN number 1 jersey (***?), a guy with an authentic number 18 Simmonds 2005 world series home jersey (lol?)...all in section 120 tonight. Oh yeah i saw Contreras number 87. Yup.

Lots and lots of fun at the park tonight, only thing that wasn't fun was the final score. This is why you never leave a game early, talking to you thousands of people who left right after the Bruney hr.

Take the next two guys. Continue that trend!

doublem23
06-25-2011, 02:46 AM
This silly love affair some people have with Carl Everett is really starting to get embarrassing.

Nelfox02
06-25-2011, 02:57 AM
what an exciting game......one of my biggest overall critiques of the team all year is that they are pretty dull.....they go down a run or 2 and usually that is it....especially from the 6th on.....but tonight.....wow......

then it all came crashing down again. we beat ourselves again.....

what a great win this could have been, should have been. I still cant believe that Lillibeast had such an awful at bat with the bags loaded....I have not had too many moments of optimism for this team this season, but there was one.....I was so sure he would end it there.....

yet another gut wrenching (but typical) loss, trying to find a way to recover from

see if they can win the series here I guess

DirtySox
06-25-2011, 02:57 AM
This silly love affair some people have with Carl Everett is really starting to get embarrassing.

Hopefully Kenny is scouring the trade market for vocal leaders. If he gets one the sky is the limit.

ShooterMcGavin
06-25-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm still waiting for a Sox hitter to shorten their swing and go the other way in a RISP situation. Looks like I'm going to wait all year, maybe longer if Walker doesn't get the axe.

Not to be grammar police, but the bolded should be his, not their.

Just a common mistake I've seen on the boards.

doublem23
06-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Hopefully Kenny is scouring the trade market for vocal leaders. If he gets one the sky is the limit.

I'd prefer better baseball players

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2011, 03:29 AM
They're really taunting us, and now they're angering us. I thought after that AJ homer we would win, but instead Crain and Thorny are left out to dry (even though there's not much else to do in the 14th inning). Yes, I am aware that Crain was in before the AJ home run. Let's just hope that Johnny can go deep into tomorrow's game.

Foulke You
06-25-2011, 03:47 AM
what a great win this could have been, should have been. I still cant believe that Lillibeast had such an awful at bat with the bags loaded....I have not had too many moments of optimism for this team this season, but there was one.....I was so sure he would end it there.....
I felt he was going to win in there too and yes, it was a bad AB. One can't help but wonder if Brent was a bit over anxious because he knows he needs to be spectacular just to crack Ozzie's lineup. If he wins the game there, he might play again tomorrow. Meanwhile, Juan goes 0 for 6 and will definitely be in the lineup tomorrow.

soxinem1
06-25-2011, 08:07 AM

I watched that too, and wondered why he didn't try to do a 'Joe Crede' on that.

But I wouldn't call him a goat. There was plenty of that to go around.

slavko
06-25-2011, 08:12 AM

As long as you're not saying he's not hurting us, OK. He is hurting us. That makes half the lineup.

I felt he was going to win in there too and yes, it was a bad AB. One can't help but wonder if Brent was a bit over anxious because he knows he needs to be spectacular just to crack Ozzie's lineup. If he wins the game there, he might play again tomorrow. Meanwhile, Juan goes 0 for 6 and will definitely be in the lineup tomorrow.

Lillibridge has become a halo guy, hasn't he? Could he have caught the fly ball over his head?

Morse had a just miss fly ball on the AB before his HR. Hot hitter. Did the better bullpen win?

BringHomeDaBacon
06-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Somebody needs to explain to the idiot manager that you gain very little by pinch running someone like Vizquel (or Teahen) for your best player. Yes, he's "faster" but not "faster" enough to make it worth it. Someone like Lillibridge - maybe.

Last night was a perfect example of why:

1) the obvious removing his bat and glove in case of extra innings and

2) (as we saw) neither player is scoring from first on a double anyway!

In years past, I was always in favor of running for Konerko. But now (and especially lately) he is too damn good to remove from a game for only a runner that is not fast. (Vizquel is not remotely fast anymore)

As someone said, the Sox are 4-7 in extras and Paulie is often gone by the 10th inning. Just leave him in the damn game.

wassagstdu
06-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Not to blame Teahen, but Konerko would have had that throw and ended the inning. Running for him cost more than the loss of Konerko's bat.

Zakath
06-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Not to blame Teahen, but Konerko would have had that throw and ended the inning. Running for him cost more than the loss of Konerko's bat.

No, I don't think he would have. The wonders of DVR showed that that ball took a wicked hop that gave Teahen no chance to field it, and Paulie wouldn't have done any better.

That one's on Alexei, plain and simple.

hawkjt
06-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Objectively, a pretty amazing game...what a thud way to finish it,tho.
I questioned Bruney's insertion over Crain in the 8th.
I questioned Serigo's insertion into a tie game in the tenth. Sergio has not done well all year if not coming in with a lead. Why the heck did Ozzie mess with him like that? Dumb,dumb,dumb.

Lilly had to take that fastball on the ribs to end this game. I know it is a reaction deal,but he has to be thinking on inside pitches,look to take it.

The sad thing is if they pull this out,we are talking about the heroes,but now it is all about the goats,like Alexei. Cannot fathom why he made that kind of throw...a little off balance,but he makes that play 99% of the time.:whiner:

Dunn looked better,tho,so that is good.
Sox have lost the 1st game of the last 4 series,and won 3 of them.
Come back and win this series,Sox.
But no doubt,when a team is 13 of 14,they always believe,and are tough to kill.

Chez
06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
After having no electricity since Tuesday night's storm, it came back on at around 9:00 pm -- AND THEN WENT OUT AGAIN in the top of the 14th. Kind of glad I missed the end. Anybody need any spoiled chicken or ground beef? I've got plenty.

Win today -- I'll be there.

LongLiveFisk
06-25-2011, 10:51 AM
In years past, I was always in favor of running for Konerko. But now (and especially lately) he is too damn good to remove from a game for only a runner that is not fast. (Vizquel is not remotely fast anymore)

As someone said, the Sox are 4-7 in extras and Paulie is often gone by the 10th inning. Just leave him in the damn game.

I mentioned it in the thread last night but I think PK needs to stay in the damn game from now on. I don't give a crap how slow he is on the basepaths. You take your best hitter out of the game during a stretch when you can't really rely on anyone else's bat, plus the guy is such an advantage defensively over at first. Simply put, he is the best overall player on the team right now so he needs to be out there. Stop assuming the game will be over in the 9th because when it's not, you see what can happen with no PK.

(And I know he needs a day off sometimes, I'm just saying that when he's in the starting lineup he needs to stay in the game.)

BigKlu59
06-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Ya I'd say this was a tough one... Washington accomplishes in a 1/2 inning with 2 out what we couldnt with sacks packed and 1 out.. with the ball not even leaving the infield... I chalk this one up to which team was going to have a brainfart as the tilt wore on .. We did...We lost..

That was the AB from hell for the Beast.. In hindsight we can see that his plate management needs a little tweaking... I see the reference to him pullin a Ron Hunt.. Point well taken.. Lean in there laddie.. Thats what they have ice packs for!!!

Would have been nice if he could have pushed one down the 1st base line as well.. Dunn may have been out by a mile, but he could have done his best Bronko Nagurski immitation and dislodged the pea from the backstopper...

Good sign though..They didnt roll over and die down 3..

Bad sign,,,Nother one that got away..

BK59

FielderJones
06-25-2011, 11:05 AM
But I wouldn't call him a goat. There was plenty of that to go around.

Lillibridge has become a halo guy, hasn't he?

I went to sleep before the game ended, but I figured in the morning I'd find most of WSI give a pass to their golden boy Lillibridge, and lay the blame elsewhere. Sorry, but bases loaded, one out, you have to either put a ball in play or take one for the team, end of story. Everything else is commentary.

DickAllen72
06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
need some help?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/195/392/55855536_crop_358x243.jpg?1303825444
Carl was the man! :thumbsup:

Tragg
06-25-2011, 11:55 AM
We made 3 comebacks in our last at bat last night. Have we had 3 all year before then?

WhiffleBall
06-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Was at the game with some friends. Tough loss. I won't call out anyone becuase we had bases loaded with one out and needed just one run to win it. Not getting it done there cost us the game IMHO. The post game fireworks did not start until after midnight. Tough to enjoy them after such a draining game. They sang "Take me out to the Ballgame" again in the middle of the 14th inning which was fun but by then we were doomed and everyone knew it. The post game metra train actually left after the latest scheduled metra train. Metra handled it right. They made the post game train an express train to the suburbs and used the regularly scheduled train for the local stops.

LongLiveFisk
06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
The post game metra train actually left after the latest scheduled metra train. Metra handled it right. They made the post game train an express train to the suburbs and used the regularly scheduled train for the local stops.

You know, that reminds me of why I worry about taking a shuttle bus to the game. If you want to leave early, then what? I guess you have to get a ride some other way or you're stuck at the park.

roylestillman
06-25-2011, 01:12 PM
You know, that reminds me of why I worry about taking a shuttle bus to the game. If you want to leave early, then what? I guess you have to get a ride some other way or you're stuck at the park.

Kind of agree. Took Metra to the game, but we had a five year old with us, and when my friends wife volunteered to pick us up around 10:30 we jumped because we weren't sure how Metra would work it. The kid wanted to stay and take the train.... Did they go ahead with post game fireworks?

For my two cents this loss begins with the Bruney decision. After an off day, I couldn't figure out why Ozzie would go for this guy vs anybody else. Did he give any reason for this? That and our usual performance with RISP doomed us long before Alexi's play.

Foulke You
06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I went to sleep before the game ended, but I figured in the morning I'd find most of WSI give a pass to their golden boy Lillibridge, and lay the blame elsewhere. Sorry, but bases loaded, one out, you have to either put a ball in play or take one for the team, end of story. Everything else is commentary.
Think for a minute how many games Lillibridge has helped us win this year versus the one game last night where he was a big part of the loss. The ratio is tilted in one direction don't you think? Is it also reasonable to conclude that this is why people aren't quick to throw Brent under the bus for the loss? Lillibridge gets more slack this year because he has been helping us win games. It has nothing to do with a so called "halo" on his head.

JB98
06-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Think for a minute how many games Lillibridge has helped us win this year versus the one game last night where he was a big part of the loss. The ratio is tilted in one direction don't you think? Is it also reasonable to conclude that this is why people aren't quick to throw Brent under the bus for the loss? Lillibridge gets more slack this year because he has been helping us win games. It has nothing to do with a so called "halo" on his head.

Agreed. I was actually surprised when Lillibridge failed, because he's been pretty good for the Sox this year.

That 14th inning was so typical:
1. Get the first two outs easy.
2. Fail to make a play on a weakly hit grounder to third.
3. Ignore the baserunner and let him steal second uncontested. :angry:
4. Throw a routine grounder away, letting a run score.
5. Idiot manager orders intentional walk of .234 hitter who had K'd four times already in the game.
6. Tiring relief pitcher forced to throw way too many pitches, melts down and allows two run-scoring, two-out hits.

It's a good thing Ozzie did his lefty-righty bull**** with Sale and Bruney in that eighth inning, leaving us thin in the bullpen for extra innings.

This club cannot get out of its own way, between the physical and mental mistakes on the field and the curious (at best) decisions coming out of the dugout.

Sometimes, a lefty with good stuff has a better chance to get out a right-handed hitter than a mediocre righty. I wish our manager would look at how guys are throwing and look at how guys are swinging the bats, as opposed to just going with the lefty-righty nonsense at all times.

Oh, and Pierre sucks. 0-for-6. At least he walked in the first!

forrestg
06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
why is it that so many bad things happen to the sox when they have 2 outs with the game on the line?

BigKlu59
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
why is it that so many bad things happen to the sox when they have 2 outs with the game on the line?

You figure that one out and you have solved the South Side Conundrum...

BK59

WhiffleBall
06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Kind of agree. Took Metra to the game, but we had a five year old with us, and when my friends wife volunteered to pick us up around 10:30 we jumped because we weren't sure how Metra would work it. The kid wanted to stay and take the train.... Did they go ahead with post game fireworks?.

They did have the complete fireworks show. You were smart to take that ride home. Your next metra option would have been the regularly scheduled 11:21. The next trains after that were the regularly scheduled 12:37am and the post game train which left around 12:45am. I was surprised home many young kids stuck around for the post midnight fireworks.