PDA

View Full Version : To play or not?

danman31
07-10-2002, 12:46 AM
I say they should've stopped. Good move.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 12:54 AM
No.

The All-Star Game is pointless, and not worth extending the pitchers.

ISUSoxfan
07-10-2002, 02:09 AM
They should have finished the game. Torre made his bed and he should be forced to lay in it. Garcia was not going to get hurt by continuing. He would just have had to move his next start back. Torre would have some explaining to do to Lou Pinella, but that is due to his mismanagement of his pitching. He mismanaged his hitters too. The game might have ended in 11 if he had left Konerko in and let Sweeney pinch hit for Garcia in the 11th with the winning run on 2nd. If a player doesn't get in, his city gets mad. This has happened before, and the "well, we needed to save him incase it went extra innings" excuse works. When the game is called due to mismanagement by both managers, everyone gets mad, and there is no excuse.

Tavarin
07-10-2002, 02:11 AM
It wasn't just Torre, Padilla was going into his 3rd inning and Brenly had no more pitchers either.

ISUSoxfan
07-10-2002, 02:16 AM
Brenly was just as guilty as Torre for ruining the game, but I focused on Torre because he ruined it for the team I was cheering for. The last line of my previous post does blame both managers.

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
Brenly was just as guilty as Torre for ruining the game, but I focused on Torre because he ruined it for the team I was cheering for. The last line of my previous post does blame both managers. i think it was a good decision and a game that will be remembered b/c of it being a tie.

KingXerxes
07-10-2002, 10:37 AM
What a great microcosm of Major League Baseball last night.

1. Contrived Olympic-style opening ceremonies. What the hell was that all about? God forbid we ever have a game which is allowed to speak for itself without all the stupid-ass fanfare surrounding it.

2. Late starting time - made even later by the fact that they had these dumbass opening ceremonies. By the time the game was called it was something like one in the morning on the East Coast. I'm sure all the kids were staying up to watch the outcome.

3. I think it started with the 1986/1987 New York Football Giants winning the Super Bowl, but can we finally stop bringing out kids onto the field before, during and after the game? This game is for the fans - not the players - and I don't think too many fans give a rat's ass about Nomar Garciaparra's young second cousin or Curt Schilling's son. Keep your kids in the stands, and play baseball.

4. Start managing this game like a game, and not some sort of "Calvacade of Stars". Look at early All-Star Games, pitchers went the distance. Now I don't advocate that necessarily, but hell can't we go into the ninth with at least a few players available. No - Everybody has to play, not unlike a whiffle ball game managed by a bunch of mom's in a schoolyard.

5. When are the networks going to finally realize that the entire United States of America can't stand Tim McCarver. He is a very strange, and stupid broadcaster. When Torre, Brenley and Selig met in the middle of the 11th, McCarver having a fit up in the booth that this meeting isn't necessary until the after this half inning because the National League still has a chance to win. Is he an idiot? Yeah let's wait until the 11th is done, and then meet, and then all walk off the field without giving any notice whatsoever that the game is ending in a tie. Then McCarver starts questioning the fans for "not showing understanding" with the decision. I tell you what McCarver, maybe the fans are all out of understanding due to the fact that they've had eight work stoppages jammed up their asses in the past 25 years or so, and have yet another hanging over their head like The Sword of Damocles.

6. Hey Barry Bonds - how about just walking out to your position in the outfield rather than clowning around with Torii Hunter? Would it be too much to ask to have you even feign some sort of caring attitude? And this moment will be touted as "one of the great All-Star moments". Yeah right up there with Carl Hubbel striking out 5 in a row, and Ted Williams' home run off of Rip Sewell. Just pathetic.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 10:50 AM
1. Contrived Olympic-style opening ceremonies. What the hell was that all about?
I don't know, the minute I saw Ray Liotta's old broke ass out there I knew it was going to be bad.
2. Late starting time - made even later by the fact that they had these dumbass opening ceremonies.
I agree. Have FOX come on the air at 6:30 CST then.
3. Can we finally stop bringing out kids onto the field before, during and after the game? Keep your kids in the stands, and play baseball.
I was saying the same thing last night. Get the kids off the field and play the damn game.
5. When are the networks going to finally realize that the entire United States of America can't stand Tim McCarver. He is a very strange, and stupid broadcaster.
My favorite part was when I think it was Giambi started talking about hitting minus the cages. McCarver being the wealth of knowledge that he is says "I can only assume he means the batting cages, Joe". No, I thought he meant the animal cages at the zoo.

Get Bill Walton and Tim McCarver off my tv now.

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

No, I thought he meant the animal cages at the zoo.

now that is funny. :gulp: