PDA

View Full Version : As usual Bud shows no initiative

MattSharp
07-10-2002, 12:46 AM
Why not come up with something creative? Like each team picks 5 guys and sends them to the plate. Whichever team gets more HRs wins. Like the equivalent of an NHL shootout. At least it would have kept the fans interested. And no MVP either? Ridiculous. Bud Self has officially ruined baseball.

ISUSoxfan
07-10-2002, 01:17 AM
I like that idea. They should have set a limit # of innings before the game and go to the the HR shoot-out if it's tied after that limit. That would be exciting. Great idea.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
I like that idea. They should have set a limit # of innings before the game and go to the the HR shoot-out if it's tied after that limit. That would be exciting. Great idea.

I dunno. I'm somewhat of a purist, and I think that if the game is to be won or lost, it should be done the way the game has been played for one hundred plus years.

That said, the All-Star Game is nothing more than a pointless exhibition.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I dunno. I'm somewhat of a purist, and I think that if the game is to be won or lost, it should be done the way the game has been played for one hundred plus years.Yeah, like including pitching and defense in deciding the outcome of the game. The home run is not what the game is all about.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yeah, like including pitching and defense in deciding the outcome of the game. The home run is not what the game is all about.

The game is all about the home run now. I understand in the big picture of winning a title it's not, but to the fans that MLB is marketing to it is.

Spiff
07-10-2002, 01:50 AM
Yeah, like including pitching and defense in deciding the outcome of the game. The home run is not what the game is all about.

Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The game is all about the home run now. I understand in the big picture of winning a title it's not, but to the fans that MLB is marketing to it is.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2002, 01:55 AM
The game is all about the home run now. Maybe you're right. Maybe it has become a one-dimensional game devoid of thought or strategy. Nothing matters until a homer is jacked. Not the pitching, not the defense, not moving runners over.

Why bother with the first nine innings? Lets just get straight to the home contest, since that's what the fans want. We should probably forget about getting rid of the steroids too, since the fans want power, let's give them power.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 02:02 AM
Maybe you're right. Maybe it has become a one-dimensional game devoid of thought or strategy. Nothing matters until a homer is jacked. Not the pitching, not the defense, not moving runners over.

Why bother with the first nine innings? Lets just get straight to the home contest, since that's what the fans want. We should probably forget about getting rid of the steroids too, since the fans want power, let's give them power.

The game itself hasn't really changed. Right now most of the teams live by the Earl Weaver 3-run homer. As for defense, I love watching guys like Roberto Alomar and Omar Vizquel. Today's fans don't get excitied about defense unless its' something like Hunter did tonight.

The game is all about entertainment, so I say let them take steroids. If these guys want to be dead by their fifty then let'em.

KempersRS
07-10-2002, 02:04 AM

The game is all about entertainment, so I say let them take steroids. If these guys want to be dead by their fifty then let'em.

Let's not forget those man-breasts and shrunken testicles!

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Let's not forget those man-breasts and shrunken testicles!

Exactly. These guys know their taking years off their life by doing this, but, it's all about getting paid.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2002, 03:11 AM
Exactly. These guys know their taking years off their life by doing this, but, it's all about getting paid. So it doesn't bother you that guys on steroids are shattering the records set by guys who were clean?

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2002, 03:13 AM
The home run is not what the game is all about.

:shammy
What?!?! I am confused! Baseball been berry berry good to me because I hit home run!

Heather the Redbird

oldcomiskey
07-10-2002, 07:24 AM
I do agree there should have been an MVP--the tie game----the jury is still out on that one

Viva Magglio
07-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Regarless of whether he was right or wrong for calling the game, Bud Selig is going to get torched all day today. He has already been roasted in the papers, and we can only imagine what sports talk radio will do!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Maybe you're right. Maybe it has become a one-dimensional game devoid of thought or strategy. Nothing matters until a homer is jacked. Not the pitching, not the defense, not moving runners over.

I agree with Nellie. Growing old is a bitch.

:)

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 09:48 AM
So it doesn't bother you that guys on steroids are shattering the records set by guys who were clean?

I honestly don't care.

The game is so much different now then it was 40 or 50 years ago. The parks are smaller, the ball is different, and there is just bad pitchers out there. Just because Bonds or Sosa breaks a record set by Maris or Ruth, it doesn't mean that their better then them.