PDA

View Full Version : Whining about the "L" flags...

DrCrawdad
06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
I see over at ChicagoSports.com WSCR host Dan McNeil has an article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0624-dan-mcneil--20110623,0,869105.column) about the recent Cub/Sox series. The online column has a picture of two guys waving "L" flags behind the visitors (Cubs) dugout (http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-06/62716477.jpg) shortly before the last out. These two guys were plainly visible on The "U" broadcast of the game as they whipped out the flags during Pena's AB. I suspect that the two guys holding the flags are also the folks selling the flags.

On McNeil's show there were complaints about Sox fans holding up the "L" flags.

Cubbie fans have been waving those "W" flags on Cubs road wins for years and they especially love rolling those "W" flags out at The Cell.

I don't own a "L" flag and won't buy one either but Cubbie fans have no room to complain about having "L" flags flying in their faces so long as they wave the "W" flags at The Cell and at other Cubs road games.

DSpivack
06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't really care about such a silly controversy.

But I do love that the Cubs W flag is white; that is, they wave a white flag even when they win.

DumpJerry
06-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Well....well....that is just horrible!

Mohoney
06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
It's akin to the level of obnoxiousness that Boston fans show. Now that they won the Stanley Cup, we will hear countless stories of long-suffering Bruins fans, and everybody in that city will put an undue sense of importance upon themselves.

Get over yourself. Nobody cares. In fact, it would have been better if Vancouver had won, just to prevent Boston fans from spreading their bull**** like a virus yet again.

PalehosePlanet
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
A whole bunch of the insufferable dorks wear the W flag t-shirts as well. How do you wear a shirt like that when you're one of the worst teams in baseball? Man is that obnoxious. A backlash is to be expected.

I'm not even a Cubs hater -- I really don't care what they do -- but their fans bring this **** on themselves.

Foulke You
06-23-2011, 11:31 PM
A whole bunch of the insufferable dorks wear the W flag t-shirts as well. How do you wear a shirt like that when you're one of the worst teams in baseball? Man is that obnoxious. A backlash is to be expected.

I'm not even a Cubs hater -- I really don't care what they do -- but their fans bring this **** on themselves.
They certainly do. I had the misfortune of being at Monday night's loss to them. All of their fans were parading those "W" flags all around our ballpark and waving them in the faces of Sox fans exiting the park on the concourses and by the exits. You want to do that "W" crap in a road team's park, be prepared to have it thrown back in your face when your team loses.

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2011, 11:56 PM
IOn McNeil's show there were complaints about Sox fans holding up the "L" flags.

Cubbie fans have been waving those "W" flags on Cubs road wins for years and they especially love rolling those "W" flags out at The Cell.

"People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Learn it.

Embrace it.

Live it.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-24-2011, 12:05 AM
I saw those guys lol who cares? Cub fans are always doing something like that. Plus, I have seen those "L" flags before past few years.

That white flag comment is too funny hahaha

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2011, 12:49 AM
If they don't want the taunts, how about stopping the stupid tradition?! Problem solved!

Ex-Chicagoan
06-24-2011, 04:19 AM
I like that, in the same picture, it says "Fly your own flag" on the dugout rail.
We did.

DrCrawdad
06-24-2011, 06:31 AM
I like that, in the same picture, it says "Fly your own flag" on the dugout rail.
We did.

I didn't notice the, "Fly your own flag." Now that is funny!

If they don't want the taunts, how about stopping the stupid tradition?! Problem solved!

"People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Learn it.

Embrace it.

Live it.

They certainly do. I had the misfortune of being at Monday night's loss to them. All of their fans were parading those "W" flags all around our ballpark and waving them in the faces of Sox fans exiting the park on the concourses and by the exits. You want to do that "W" crap in a road team's park, be prepared to have it thrown back in your face when your team loses.

Exactly. The funny thing is too that the one caller to McNeil's show mentioned the "L" flags and then proceeded to start the oft repeated, "Sox fans have this inferiority complex and always feel the need to taunt Cubs fans..." As was mentioned, your fans love taunting opposing fans in their ballparks with those "W" flags but let's be clear they especially love waving those in faces of Sox fans at The Cell. It's not like Sox fans are doing this in a vacuum.

C-Dawg
06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
In my mind, I'm picturing a bunch of Cub fans walking down the ramps after a Cub loss at USCF; their "W" flags rolled up and hidden out of sight. LOL

Suddenly I am reminded of a game we went to at Wrigley back in the late-70s. Being from Cincinnati originally, we rooted for the Reds, and my brother and I made a "Johnny Bench is Best" banner to display at the game. The people at the front gate took it away from us!

Hitmen77
06-24-2011, 07:58 AM
I see over at ChicagoSports.com WSCR host Dan McNeil has an article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0624-dan-mcneil--20110623,0,869105.column) about the recent Cub/Sox series. The online column has a picture of two guys waving "L" flags behind the visitors (Cubs) dugout (http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-06/62716477.jpg) shortly before the last out. These two guys were plainly visible on The "U" broadcast of the game as they whipped out the flags during Pena's AB. I suspect that the two guys holding the flags are also the folks selling the flags.

On McNeil's show there were complaints about Sox fans holding up the "L" flags.

I don't own a "L" flag and won't buy one either but Cubbie fans have no room to complain about having "L" flags flying in their faces so long as they wave the "W" flags at The Cell and at other Cubs road games.

Cubs fans whining about something? SHOCKING!
So, they don't like the "L" flags? Well, all I have to say is: :violin::whiner::violin::whiner:

Regarding that picture from the Cell: Isn't the official "L" flag supposed to have a blue background with a white "L" ?

I agree 100%.

Harry Potter
06-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Regarding that picture from the Cell: Isn't the official "L" flag supposed to have a blue background with a white "L" ?

Yes, there are some stores that sell the "correct" "L" flag so the ones on TV the other night were most likely homemade ones.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Awww....dish it out but can't take it?

Wasn't there some story a few years back that the Trib machine was gonna stop flying the L flag after a home loss but would proudly fly the W flag when they won? Yeah, no double standard there.

*******s. You deserve it.

And, while we're at it....I'm not a hockey fan but burn those ****ing W flags at the UC while we're at it. Why infest a great tradition with a pop culture "lovefest" generated to sell more beer?

g0g0
06-24-2011, 08:50 AM
People need to sack up, sheesh.

C-Dawg
06-24-2011, 08:52 AM
The well-equipped Cub fan should carry BOTH flags and be prepared to display the "L" one if its appropriate.

Sox
06-24-2011, 09:48 AM
As someone so eloquently put it about the L flags in another thread. It was a "real men of genius moment."

QueerGirrl
06-24-2011, 10:42 AM
And, while we're at it....I'm not a hockey fan but burn those ****ing W flags at the UC while we're at it. Why infest a great tradition with a pop culture "lovefest" generated to sell more beer?

+1
Seriously when I see those I want to :puking: please don't bring that Cub crap to our other sports. Jerks.

pdimas
06-24-2011, 10:53 AM

I don't know if those guys were told something this past year but I didn't see it that often this year at Hawks games maybe once or twice and I only missed four games. Last year almost every game someone was waving those stupid flags.

As far as the whole L flag thing about 3 or 4 years ago I bought a huge L flag just for fun because I have a lot of Cubs fan friends and we always kid each other about the rivalry.

We have bleacher tickets and i thought it would be fun to unfurl it during the series while being respectful of those around me watching (I would take it out between innings when we had the lead). Before I brought it out the first time I talked to all the Cub fans around me and assured them it was all in good fun. They actually thought it was pretty funny and weren't offended at all. Yahoo got a nice picture of it and posted it in their gallery. http://www.vesphoto.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Fans-L-Flag.jpg

tebman
06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
I think the best reading from that column is in the comment section. I can safely assume that the commenters are not big Danny Mac fans. :D:

#1swisher
06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Reminds me...where do I find a "W" flag for the White Sox? :cool::D::cool:

PatK
06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't know why, but this whole thread is reminding me about how Cubs fans whine that "Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs" before going on a rant about Sox fans, which quite honestly, is a little too detailed and long considering you're claiming you don't give a crap about Sox fans.

kittle42
06-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Reminds me...where do I find a "W" flag for the White Sox? :cool::D::cool:

As a famous Sith Lord once said, "Nooooooooooooooooo!"

spawn
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
I think the best reading from that column is in the comment section. I can safely assume that the commenters are not big Danny Mac fans. :D:

They're smart people obviously. :cool:

WSox597
06-25-2011, 07:23 AM
A good response would be "1908" flags.

Or maybe "2005" flags. That might shut them up, if anything could.

Of course, they would probably adopt the "1908" flags, and tell us to "get over 2005" it was six years ago.

The sad thing is, that stupid "tradition" has infested the UC during hockey season. I hated to see that.

Frontman
06-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I do love when Cubs fans drop the inferiority complex comment. There's no complex, its called trash talk. If you don't like the "L" flag, who is being the whiner? Obviously not Sox fans, as we don't whine over the "W" flag.

If you want to brag about being the more quote "popular" team, then you have to take the grief from those who follow the less popular team.

If you don't want to have it rubbed in your face, then don't brag when you win.

It would be like us complaining about fireworks being set off at the end of a road game when the Sox lose, even though we had the exploding scoreboard before anyone else.

Foulke You
06-25-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't know if those guys were told something this past year but I didn't see it that often this year at Hawks games maybe once or twice and I only missed four games. Last year almost every game someone was waving those stupid flags.

As far as the whole L flag thing about 3 or 4 years ago I bought a huge L flag just for fun because I have a lot of Cubs fan friends and we always kid each other about the rivalry.

We have bleacher tickets and i thought it would be fun to unfurl it during the series while being respectful of those around me watching (I would take it out between innings when we had the lead). Before I brought it out the first time I talked to all the Cub fans around me and assured them it was all in good fun. They actually thought it was pretty funny and weren't offended at all. Yahoo got a nice picture of it and posted it in their gallery. http://www.vesphoto.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Fans-L-Flag.jpg
I remember that pic. That was from Game 1 at The Cell in 2008 if memory serves. A Swisher grand slam off Dempster led to a Sox blowout win on our way to a revenge sweep.

StillMissOzzie
06-25-2011, 08:27 PM

I believe you are correct. When my son and I did a Red Line DH a few years ago, I got a picture of a white "L" on blue background flag on my cell phone.

Awww....dish it out but can't take it?

Wasn't there some story a few years back that the Trib machine was gonna stop flying the L flag after a home loss but would proudly fly the W flag when they won? Yeah, no double standard there.

This was the 1st phrase that popped into my head. Some Cub fans are so oblivious as to how obnoxious they really are, since "everyone loves the Cubs", but when they get the same **** thrown back at them, they piss and moan about the meanness and cruelty of it all.

As to the real "L" flag, the tribune figured they were spending WAY more money going through "L" flags exposed to the elements than "W" flags. Of course, if they really did follow through with this "great plan", doesn't NO flag mean the exact same thing as the "L"?

SMO
:scratch:

DrCrawdad
06-25-2011, 09:55 PM
I do love when Cubs fans drop the inferiority complex comment. There's no complex, its called trash talk. If you don't like the "L" flag, who is being the whiner? Obviously not Sox fans, as we don't whine over the "W" flag.

If you want to brag about being the more quote "popular" team, then you have to take the grief from those who follow the less popular team.

If you don't want to have it rubbed in your face, then don't brag when you win.

It would be like us complaining about fireworks being set off at the end of a road game when the Sox lose, even though we had the exploding scoreboard before anyone else.

I don't know why, but this whole thread is reminding me about how Cubs fans whine that "Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs" before going on a rant about Sox fans, which quite honestly, is a little too detailed and long considering you're claiming you don't give a crap about Sox fans.

I agree.

Some Cubs fans remind me of an alcoholic who's in denial. They'll boldly claim that they do not have a drinking problem. Then you find empty hooch bottles hidden away. When you ask them about it they disclaim any knowledge or responsibility then start to turn the tables on you. 'Why are you so suspicious? Is that all you have to do with you time is search around for garbage...'

I have a friendly relationship with the Al Yellon over at BleedCubbieBlue and even enjoyed a couple games with him. Yellon has told me that Cubbie fans are "fixated on the Cubs" and how Cubs fans don't care nor pay any attention to the Sox, "we don't care about the Sox..." But then in 2005 I remember how he blogged about how Cubbie fans in bleachers were following along with Sox and Indians games. Was this mere interest in baseball in general (as he and other claim) or was it that they were hoping to see the Sox "choke?"

Even this season, when the Sox were struggling mightily and had among the worst records in baseball Cubs fans at his blog were celebrating each Sox loss.

Point these things out to the blogger and posters at BCB and you'll get that "drunk in denial" type of response.

Sox
06-26-2011, 11:02 AM

You just gotta love a pic like this. :cool:

TaylorStSox
06-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I had people over for the last game of the series. The girls kept asking about the "L" flags. I just laughed.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Outside of the official "L" flag flying yesterday were any independent, fan based "L" flags in the stands yesterday?

PatK
07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a friendly relationship with the Al Yellon over at BleedCubbieBlue and even enjoyed a couple games with him. Yellon has told me that Cubbie fans are "fixated on the Cubs" and how Cubs fans don't care nor pay any attention to the Sox, "we don't care about the Sox..." But then in 2005 I remember how he blogged about how Cubbie fans in bleachers were following along with Sox and Indians games. Was this mere interest in baseball in general (as he and other claim) or was it that they were hoping to see the Sox "choke?"

If one of those times was in September, he must have been mistaking me as a Cubs fan