PDA

View Full Version : Nats manager quits...

TommyGavinFloyd
06-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Wow, just watched them beat the Mariners and was worried about this hot team coming to Chicago, and now Riggleman quits. No links yet but Mike Rizzo was just on the radio and it's all over Twitter.

EDIT: Here's (http://twitter.com/AdamKilgoreWP/status/83989624044793856) a tweet from the Nats beat writer about it.

hawkjt
06-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Riggleman resigned after the game today...after the Nats won their 11th of 12 games,and the Nats head to Soxpark with a new manager at the helm. Riggs was upset that his contract option was not picked up. No one has been named to take over yet. GM Mike Rizzo is having a press conference on MLBNetwork right now. After the game Riggs resigned and they accepted. He had given them an ultimatum that if they did not pick up his option by today,he would not get on the bus after the game to go to the airport. They didn't ,so he quit.

I do not think that this will produce any kind of ''new manager bump'' as apparently he was fairly popular in the clubhouse.
Of course,he might just not have wanted to face the juggarnaut that is the Chicago White Sox....but I doubt it.

Hopefully, the clubhouse is in a bit of dissarray this weekend as they take on the Sox. They are hotter than heck.
I cannot name any players on their team outside of that closer Storen,and Willie Harris?

soltrain21
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Weird.

g0g0
06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Good be good for the Sox or bad. Depends if they are inspired by the new skipper or not. Some teams get hot with a new coach, which would be bad as these guys were already hot!

Crestani
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Riggleman resigned after the game today...after the Nats won their 11th of 12 games,and the Nats head to Soxpark with a new manager at the helm. Riggs was upset that his contract option was not picked up. No one has been named to take over yet.

Wow...Walk out on your team during a winning streak to make a point..??

dickallen15
06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Riggleman is the one not living up to his end of the contract. I thought he was a classy guy. I guess he's not.

soltrain21
06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Good be good for the Sox or bad. Depends if they are inspired by the new skipper or not. Some teams get hot with a new coach, which would be bad as these guys were already hot!

I don't see why this would inspire the Nats' players. They are probably more like, "What the ****?"

hawkjt
06-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Riggleman is the one not living up to his end of the contract. I thought he was a classy guy. I guess he's not.

I think he is kind of a quirky guy,no doubt.
I saw him walking off the field after last nites win,and he looked the same as back when he was managing the Cubs...very fit,and ready to go out and chase tail.:D:..kidding.

WhiteSox56
06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
How will this effect the Nats? I sure don't know the answer, just weird that he walked away with the team playing the way they are.

TommyGavinFloyd
06-23-2011, 03:26 PM
3 tweets from @SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)

"riggleman has indeed resigned. apparently nats told him they werent prepared to pick up his option"

"riggleman's agent burt rocks: "they should have picked up the option ... it wore on jim. jims a good baseball man. he will manage again.''

"riggleman is a tremendous individual. he just wanted the option resolved. this is a blow to the nationals."

And people say Twitter is pointless...breaking news instantly!

Mohoney
06-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Strange on both sides.

Strange that Jim Riggleman would lay down an ultimatum like that and not finish out the season.

Strange that Mike Rizzo wouldn't pick the option up when this Washington team is looking like they're finally starting to make some real progress.

blandman
06-23-2011, 03:41 PM

Eh, he's got just as much right to quit as a team has to fire him. As long as he doesn't try to find a job while the contract would still be valid, he's well within his rights.

pythons007
06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Funny. This will be the second team the Sox face following a termination/resignation of a manager. A's now the Nats. We did will against the A's. Let's hope this hurts the Nats.

thomas35forever
06-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Strange that this happened when the Nats were hot. If the Marlins weren't playing so ****ty right now, I'd say the Nationals were primed to head back to where they were.

russ99
06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
That's pretty bizarre. I've heard of players doing something like that, but not a manager.

salty99
06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I cannot name any players on their team outside of that closer Storen,and Willie Harris?

Willie Harris is on the Mets. You've never heard of a guy by the name of Ivan Rodriguez? How about Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth or even Livan Hernandez? Jason Marquis, Matt Stairs, or Jerry Hariston?

Sox
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
This is strange news indeed. New manager or not here's hoping that the White Sox take advantage of this based not on a manager resigning but a White Sox team that got hot at the right time. :gosox:

DumpJerry
06-23-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/piniellanewsconf.jpg
Son, a man has to do what a man has to do.

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
3 tweets from @SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)

"riggleman has indeed resigned. apparently nats told him they werent prepared to pick up his option"

"riggleman's agent burt rocks: "they should have picked up the option ... it wore on jim. jims a good baseball man. he will manage again.''

"riggleman is a tremendous individual. he just wanted the option resolved. this is a blow to the nationals."

And people say Twitter is pointless...breaking news instantly!

I don't think that GMs around MLB will be pounding down any doors to grab Riggleman. Good baseball man or not, I would think that most GMs would be wary of someone who would leave your team in a lurch like this.

The problem with ultimatums is that you have to be ready to back them up.

SMO
:gulp:

TommyGavinFloyd
06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't think that GMs around MLB will be pounding down any doors to grab Riggleman. Good baseball man or not, I would think that most GMs would be wary of someone who would leave your team in a lurch like this.

The problem with ultimatums is that you have to be ready to back them up.

SMO
:gulp:

Yeah seems like both sides could have handled this better. Riggleman especially but come on they are riding this hot streak, it's a $600,000 option for next year. What better time to announce you are giving him next year. I just hope the White Sox can capitalize on the Nats turmoil. I would love for the summary of the Nats 2011 season to be "Well they really looked like they were building something until Riggleman quit and they got pounded in Chicago".

HomeFish
06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
I attended the Nationals game against the Mariners today and was shocked when I came home and heard the news. I don't think there had really been anything in the media about this. Riggleman wasn't acting any different; he went out and argued a controversial call. Weird that he managed the entire game knowing it would be his last.

Word is the third base coach will replace him.

sunofgold
06-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Riggleman agreed to the one year contract. Apparently, he has been signing on to one year deals.

I could understand that he wanted his option exercised and the full support of management. But, sometimes management sucks. lol!

Why not just finish out the season and then see where you stand. If you do a good managing job then maybe the N's will want you back. If not, you put it on your resume and try to find another manager's job.

He basically quit on his team. Makes him look like a "me-first" kind of guy. Doesn't he care about the players on his team? The fans?

Mohoney
06-23-2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/piniellanewsconf.jpg
Son, a man has to do what a man has to do.

The single largest fraud in managerial history.

The Immigrant
06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Willie Harris is on the Mets. You've never heard of a guy by the name of Ivan Rodriguez? How about Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth or even Livan Hernandez? Jason Marquis, Matt Stairs, or Jerry Hariston?

Take Zimmerman and Werth off that list and let's party like it's 1999.

HomeFish
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Mike Morse is their starting first baseman.

kravdog
06-23-2011, 07:29 PM
I think this is just another example of Rizzo being a clown. Don't forget, this is the same guy who may, or may not, have screwed Kenny last year with the Jackson for Dunn deal. Same dude who decided that jayson werth is worth that crazy contract... Just sayin.

g0g0
06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't see why this would inspire the Nats' players. They are probably more like, "What the ****?"

No doubt, but generally when players get a new coach they do a little better...at least for a short time. Weird situation though as they were already doing well.

delben91
06-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Take Zimmerman and Werth off that list and let's party like it's 1999.

I think I've heard about some guy named Strasburg on that team? :scratch:

DSpivack
06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I think I've heard about some guy named Strasburg on that team? :scratch:

Well, yeah, but not playing this season.

PalehosePlanet
06-24-2011, 01:24 AM
The Nats are due for big slump, since they've playing out of their ass for two weeks now. Let's hope this is the impetus.

Riggleman is wrong here. Every team has a hot streak like this every year, more or less. According to Riggleman's logic no manager should ever be fired or released at the end of their contract.

I wonder what he would have done had the team lost it's last 11 of 12 rather than the opposite. I'm betting he'd be in the dugout for tomorrow's game.

TomBradley72
06-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Riggleman is a complete idiot.

Ultimatums in June are never a good idea- but when you're a manager with a career winning percentage of .445, including 8 or your 12 seasons with 4th place or lower finishes- you should be thanking God someone will pay you $600K to manage a baseball team.

There's a reason he couldn't find a job managing from 1999-2008- I doubt he ever gets hired to manage a major league team again.

Good luck finding another paycheck like the one you just lost from your tantrum Mr. Riggleman.

forrestg
06-24-2011, 09:42 AM
one description said that he said he was resigning and the nats accepted his resignation. Bas:scratch:ically if you want to leave? Then leave. Rizzo wasn't going to cave in to Riggleman's demands. I would guess if Riggleman was well liked by his players one could expect a backlash. That maybe wishful thinking on my part but a possible outcome also.

salty99
06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Mike Morse is their starting first baseman.

Yes and he is having a great year so far.

johnny bench
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Twitter can give you some fast facts, but it takes a columnist to tell a story. I understand what happened and why (mostly) after reading this...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/jim-riggleman-proves-he-wasnt-the-man-to-manage-the-nationals/2011/06/23/AG7RYAiH_story.html

tstrike2000
06-24-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know all the details outside of the contract situation, but walk out on your team in the middle of the season? Looks extremely unprofessional IMO, but oh well.

MARTINMVP
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Riggleman agreed to the one year contract. Apparently, he has been signing on to one year deals.

I could understand that he wanted his option exercised and the full support of management. But, sometimes management sucks. lol!

Why not just finish out the season and then see where you stand. If you do a good managing job then maybe the N's will want you back. If not, you put it on your resume and try to find another manager's job.

He basically quit on his team. Makes him look like a "me-first" kind of guy. Doesn't he care about the players on his team? The fans?

This.

Finish the year, hopefully with a good record, and if you're not renewed, go and make your case to another team why they should hire you.

How does quitting on the team in the middle of the season while riding a huge winning streak help him if he goes another another managerial job?

Who knows. If the Cubs continue to suck this year and decide they want to can Quade, why not bring that Riggleman clown back to town...

And back to being serious, I sincerely hopes that the Nat's lost is our gain this weekend! Go White Sox!

PatK
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm kind of torn on this.

I can see why Riggleman left. If they said they weren't going to extend his option, why stick around if you know you're going to be gone? Did they flat out tell him he wouldn't be coming back? If so, I can see why he bolted.

On the other hand, you're the one that didn't sign a multi-year deal.