PDA

View Full Version : Enough already

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
It's time to make our move, if we sweep the Nats we get to over .500 and will be ready to make a run for the division title.
Rios looks like he is starting to hit, we need to get Dunn going.
If those 2 don't help out PK, TCQ and Alexei then we aren't going anywhere except 3rd or 4th place.

DirtySox
06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Patiently waiting, but still not holding my breath.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Nell:

It'll be an interesting weekend series. Washington has won 10 of 11, is at the .500 mark.

Lip

ChiSoxGal85
06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Nell:

It'll be an interesting weekend series. Washington has won 10 of 11, is at the .500 mark.

Lip
My family and I will be there on Saturday, hoping to see that elusive .500 mark reached. Go Sox!!!

doublem23
06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Nell:

Lip

10 of 11 against National League or National League-caliber American League opponents

Sox
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Here's hoping that the Sox bats get hot and The White Sox are at least .500 baseball by the 4th of July. What a way to celebrate!! It'll be an interesting series for sure. Here's to a White Sox :sweep:gosox:

Quentin08
06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
It's gonna be a tough series this weekend... hopefully Edwin, Danks, and Humber have their good stuff and give us a chance. We swept em last year, let's do it again!

Just read Lillibridge's latest tweet: http://twitter.com/#!/BSLillibridge (http://twitter.com/#%21/BSLillibridge)
Promises to keep winning if we keep coming out.

ode to veeck
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
10 of 11 against National League or National League-caliber American League opponents

San Diego, STL, Balt, Seattle, one loss against Balt but they won the series

Chez
06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Nell:

Lip

True, but if memory serves, both AZ and Seattle were hot when the Sox played them and we won both series. If Jackson can grab a win in the opener, the Sox should be in good shape.

kufram
06-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Another series win will do for me.

Nelfox02
06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Another series win will do for me.

me too

but even a modest 5-6 game win streak can go a long way in getting this team really in the race

PeteWard
06-23-2011, 12:31 PM
These guys are no pushovers and their starters look solid--except for Gorzelanny. But they are due to lose a few and the Sox have to feel the need to make a sustained move. I won't say it's now or never but it is getting near the half way mark without having any sort of consistency. A sweep now could be a start.

doublem23
06-23-2011, 12:35 PM
These guys are no pushovers and their starters look solid--except for Gorzelanny. But they are due to lose a few and the Sox have to feel the need to make a sustained move. I won't say it's now or never but it is getting near the half way mark without having any sort of consistency. A sweep now could be a start.

I don't know, since bottoming out at 11-22, the Sox have gone 26-17, the 2nd best record in the American League. That's a .605 WP, if they keep it up the rest of the way, they are on pace to win 89 games.

PeteWard
06-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't know, since bottoming out at 11-22, the Sox have gone 26-17, the 2nd best record in the American League. That's a .605 WP, if they keep it up the rest of the way, they are on pace to win 89 games.

I know, but they just don't look like a playoff team to me.

Yet. :cool:

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Exactly, they are clicking on about 5 cylinders right now, sometimes 6.
Not too many games at 8.

JB98
06-23-2011, 01:07 PM
The Sox have to prove to me they can beat divisional opponents. Fifty-five of the remaining 86 games are against the AL Central.

The Sox are 38-51 against the division since Opening Day 2010. Obviously, that trend needs to be reversed.

tstrike2000
06-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Nats aren't great, but they're still a .500 team. I think the Sox will still take two of three.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
We shall see. I mean I am not going to get giddy over beating the Cubs and if anyone thinks that is why there is hope... I could care less how the Sox do vs. NL teams. I care about Sox vs. elite AL teams and teams within the division. We have beat the Indians this season so far. How about Detroit & the Twins? It's a long season and while we are better, we are still <.500 and 4.5 out while Detroit and the Indians are in better shape.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
The Sox have to prove to me they can beat divisional opponents. Fifty-five of the remaining 86 games are against the AL Central.

The Sox are 38-51 against the division since Opening Day 2010. Obviously, that trend needs to be reversed.

Exactly. The AL Central always seems to be which team beats up on the other(s).

PeteWard
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Man that seems like a lot. Is it me or are the schedules whacky this year? I know they always load up on inter-division games in Sept which is good, but this year just seems weirdly out of balance early.
Also, the Twins will play 20 more games on the road than at home during the 2nd half. I don't remember these strange imbalances occurring before. It all evens out, but still...

sox1970
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Man that seems like a lot. Is it me or are the schedules whacky this year? I know they always load up on inter-division games in Sept which is good, but this year just seems weirdly out of balance early.
Also, the Twins will play 20 more games on the road than at home during the 2nd half. I don't remember these strange imbalances occurring before. It all evens out, but still...

I have a theory about that...

I think they wanted to simulate what a balanced schedule would look like the first few months of the season to see how it would look if they went to no divisions if they expanded the playoffs next year.

Turns out, it would be great if they did that. But they probably won't.

BigKlu59
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Exactly, they are clicking on about 5 cylinders right now, sometimes 6.
Not too many games at 8.

Nice anology there Nell.... This 58 "Edsel" needs a change of plugs and wires and the points calibrated... After a nice wax job when you start it up and it sounds fine, but as soon as you take it out on the road and open it up it starts missing like a somnabitch... When 3 plugs are misfiring it sure makes for a herky jerky ride...

Hang tough...4.5 back and I'm sure they can turn this thing around.. as has been said earlier in reality they are playing at a .600 clip.. stay there and tweak it a bit and they will end up on top of the division.. We had our slide.. The Tribe and the Tiggers are overdue for theirs.. The Twins? Pray those 20 on the road and a Sox beat down put them out of their misery...

BK59

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM

This is almost exactly how I feel about the Sox. They fooled me last year, but when push came to shove they rolled over and died like dogs against the AL Central. I am not going to get too excited until the Sox start proving that they can consistently beat the likes of the Tigers and the Twins. And the Sox won't go anywhere until they do.

doublem23
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM

That is true, but neither do the other 4 teams in our division.

BigKlu59
06-23-2011, 01:59 PM

OUCH !!! Just think if they had been playin .500 ball in this schizophrenic division.. 13 games under .500 in a division they should be running away with each season is a tough nut to crack.. Gotta turn that ugly number around, big time..

BK59

sox1970
06-23-2011, 02:00 PM
That is true, but neither do the other 4 teams in our division.

Yet, the Tigers and Indians have two of the top 5 records in the AL. So under a divisionless format and top-5 making the playoffs, they would both be in right now.

It shows there aren't many great teams and it's wide open for a second half run.

russ99
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
We're currently 37-39.

3 at home vs. the Nats
3 on the road vs. the Rockies
3 at Wrigley vs. the Cubs
3 at home vs. KC

Win 2 out of 3 of each, we're 45-43 going into the big 4-game set at home vs. the damn Twins.
Then we have 3 in Detroit right after the break. Those are a big 7 games.

BigKlu59
06-23-2011, 02:27 PM
We're currently 37-39.

3 at home vs. the Nats
3 on the road vs. the Rockies
3 at Wrigley vs. the Cubs
3 at home vs. KC

Win 2 out of 3 of each, we're 45-43 going into the big 4-game set at home vs. the damn Twins.
Then we have 3 in Detroit right after the break. Those are a big 7 games.

Be positive.. we should be 49-39 going into that home stand vs the Twinks.. and run em out of town taking 4 straight and enjoy the break.

Come back and have an '83 run to finish out the season.. Damn this Kool Aid is good:gulp:

Go Sox !!!!

BK59

PeteWard
06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Nats just beat SEA 1-0. They are overdue for a big slide. At least three anyway.:gulp:

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Yet, the Tigers and Indians have two of the top 5 records in the AL. So under a divisionless format and top-5 making the playoffs, they would both be in right now.

It shows there aren't many great teams and it's wide open for a second half run.

Thank you! Just because the Tribe were supposed to suck and are not a Yankee or Red Sox doesn't mean they are ****. I mean we think we are the best in the ALC and we are not. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A WINNING RECORD! Just admit it, it's how you play, not how you can play. I think the Tigers are the best team.

doublem23
06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
The Indians suck

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Nats just beat SEA 1-0. They are overdue for a big slide. At least three anyway.:gulp:

Manager quit too

JermaineDye05
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
This past series with the Cubs didn't really do much to build my confidence.

They still have some glaring holes offensively that need to be addressed.

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Given our interleague record over the past few years in comparison to our overall record, couldn't one argue that we are a "National League-caliber American League team?"

MetroPD
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
They just lost their skipper. I have a feeling that Washington is going to fall on their face and Dunn is going to catch fire...... Ok well maybe the latter part was pure hope and flights of fancy. The Sox are gonna beat them though, mark my words!

Jollyroger2
06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
They just lost their skipper. I have a feeling that Washington is going to fall on their face and Dunn is going to catch fire...... Ok well maybe the latter part was pure hope and flights of fancy. The Sox are gonna beat them though, mark my words!

The Nationals are an odd team. Well below .500 for most of the season and yet they are playing some inspired baseball lately. If you look at their starters:

Lannan 5-5, 3.40
Livan H. 4-8, 3.97
Marquis 7-2, 3.53
Zimmerman 5-6, 3.08
Gorzelanny 2-5 4.53

There's nothing really awful here, most of it is pretty solid. Their bullpen is good too. Four of their five relievers with over 20 IP have a 2.35 ERA or less. Closer is 2.35 with only two blown saves in twenty chances.

Their hitting is a problem though. Morse and Nix are solid but other than there isn't much there. Zimmerman just got back from injury though. They're fast, 62 stolen bases with 18 caught stealings...given that AJ throws out potential base stealers about twice a year, they could run on us if they get on base.

Given that their pitching is solid, most of the Sox can't hit worth squat, and the fact that the one thing consistent about the Sox this season is that they aren't consistent, I can see Washington taking two of three. Sox have won four of five so they're due to drop another series or two like they have all year. Nationals are red-hot too. I don't think Riggleman's leaving will really affect them all that much but who knows.

doublem23
06-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Given our interleague record over the past few years in comparison to our overall record, couldn't one argue that we are a "National League-caliber American League team?"

Uh, no, since we dominate the National League, we're obviously much better than they are.

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Uh, no, since we dominate the National League, we're obviously much better than they are.

The Twins and Tigers beat us like we're an NL team.

doublem23
06-24-2011, 02:01 PM

OK, but those are American League teams.

Bad AL teams > Any NL teams except maybe Philadelphia, who is really an AL team guised in the NL East

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Bad AL teams > Any NL teams except maybe Philadelphia, who is really an AL team guised in the NL East

I agree with this. I just wish we also would play better against our division rivals.

Jollyroger2
06-24-2011, 02:20 PM

And given that the Sox just stumbled their way past the lowly NL Cubs, I wouldn't put it past them to struggle against anyone.