PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Trouble at USCF?

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
I do not know if this has been posted before, and I apologize if it has been. I did do a search under "iPhone" and did not find any thread titles definitively about this. This is not a complaint about U.S. Cellular Field or the White Sox but just a question.

Late last April, I took advantage of my local Apple store's iPhone 3GS deal and got myself one for $49.99. Along with that is a two-year contract with at&t. Whenever I take this iPhone to the ballpark, the 3GS network connectivity virtually disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

dwitt76
06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Yes as well as other iphone AT+T users I know. I also dont get service in the other sports stadiums in chicago.

Chez
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
It's not just iPhone's. I have a Blackberry Torch through AT&T and get sporadic service at the Cell.

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2011, 07:56 AM
What happens with at&t at the Cell? It is somehow jammed, or is it just the enviornment of the ballpark that interrupts at&t service?

Chez
06-23-2011, 08:05 AM
What happens with at&t at the Cell? It is somehow jammed, or is it just the enviornment of the ballpark that interrupts at&t service?

U.S. Cellular has installed signal jammers for all other carriers. Part of the naming rights deal.

russ99
06-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Well, the official line is that there aren't enough towers nearby to service a large crowd.

But the conspiracy theorist in me has to think it's something to do with US Cellular.

Case in point - at big events like Lollapalooza, they usually bring in extra trucks, and offer free Wifi.

However, if US Cellular ever had the iPhone, I'd go back to them. I was pretty happy with their service, but their phone are all second/third tier.

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Well, the official line is that there aren't enough towers nearby to service a large crowd.

But the conspiracy theorist in me has to think it's something to do with US Cellular.

Case in point - at big events like Lollapalooza, they usually bring in extra trucks, and offer free Wifi.

However, if US Cellular ever had the iPhone, I'd go back to them. I was pretty happy with their service, but their phone are all second/third tier.

I was a happy U.S. Cellular customer. But when my Motorola Razor needed to replaced, I wanted a smart phone. U.S. Cellular didn't offer anything satisfactory. They don't even have a Motorola Droid. Hence, I moved to the iPhone and at&t.

Jerko
06-23-2011, 08:34 AM
I have verizon and live near the park, and my service has sucked between 7-9 pm the past few nights. Could it be weather related? :scratch:

GlassSox
06-23-2011, 08:35 AM
U.S. Cellular has installed signal jammers for all other carriers. Part of the naming rights deal.

:rolling:

doublem23
06-23-2011, 08:39 AM
I have verizon and live near the park, and my service has sucked between 7-9 pm the past few nights. Could it be weather related? :scratch:

I think that's just what happens when 35,000 people get together in one place and try and use their smartphones.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-23-2011, 08:51 AM
I have an HTC Inspire through AT & T; had no coverage issue at the game I was at in May but to DJ's point it wasn't a 30K crowd. I always sit in the UD, so I wonder if that helps me at all....

Jerko
06-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I think that's just what happens when 35,000 people get together in one place and try and use their smartphones.

Possibly. I was at the opener though and it seemed to work fine then. LOL I remember the good old days of "only cub fans use cellphones"

kittle42
06-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I live three blocks from Wrigley and every single gameday, I get horrendous signal quality. Same thing in-game at the Cell or the United Center if the crowd is big enough.

The towers simply cannot yet accommodate the number of people using phones in a small area.

Alexei4president
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
its because there is so many phones in one spot...it saddens me when i cant send bragging pics to my friends :(:

rcescato
06-23-2011, 10:27 AM
I have an iphone 3g and I always get crappy coverage. Testerday it kept saying searching

nug0hs
06-23-2011, 10:28 AM
I've had AT&T forever and have had NO SERVICE or one bar at every game for several years. My friend and I are convinced that there is something in the agreement with US Cellular that jams AT&T service and gives full reception to US Cellular. It's not just an iPhone thing.

[/end conspiracy thoughts]

soxgirl617
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
It's also not just an AT&T problem, at least in my experience. I am a usually happy Sprint customer, but my coverage at U.S. Cellular is spotty at best. Sometimes it's fine, other games I only have one or two bars. It seems to vary with the size of the crowds, I think, so maybe that is indeed the explanation.

ilsox7
06-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Yup. It's also part of the reason service in the Loop for many carriers is so bad during the week. Too many people on the networks. However, AT&T is known for being, by far, the worst.

downstairs
06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Haven't been to a game since I got my Droid, but last time I was there my Windows Moble got almost no signal at times. Luckily no work calls.

DumpJerry
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
AT&T does not have any towers that effectively service 35th and Shields (the closest one points away from the park). All of my friends with AT&T have nightmare stories about the lack of service there. I have Verizon and have never had trouble at Comiskey, even when there are 40,000 in attendance. I guess Verizon does not have many Sox fans in their customer base.

salty99
06-23-2011, 04:54 PM
AT&T does not have any towers that effectively service 35th and Shields (the closest one points away from the park). All of my friends with AT&T have nightmare stories about the lack of service there. I have Verizon and have never had trouble at Comiskey, even when there are 40,000 in attendance. I guess Verizon does not have many Sox fans in their customer base.

During Tuesday's game I had a terrible time getting service with my Verizon IPHONE.

chisoxfan83
06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
For what its worth months ago we had AT&T in our building in the loop upgrading their equipment to go to 4G. Many buildings downtown have some sort of repeater or something to handle more cell phone usage...I asked him about the cell and he claimed the cell does have something in place to handle more phones being in one place similar to buildings in the loop. I just think too many people in one place (sports events, concerts etc) will always experience this until they find a better way in the years to come

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-23-2011, 08:37 PM
I have an iPhone with Verizon and I never have had any issues. I'll have to check my next game.

ChiSoxGirl
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
My service in general at the ballpark is pretty dreadful, but I have AT&T, so I'm really not all that surprised. I've had an iPhone for a little less than two years and, more often than not, watch the "pinwheel of death" go round-and-round on my phone whenever I try to use an app. There have been times I've used TWC app to look at the radar and the phone can't even pinpoint that I'm in the 60616 zip code; it places me elsewhere in the city.

For what it's worth, I had a Nokia flip phone back in 2008 when I was at the Blackout game. During the game, I hadn't heard a peep from friends of mine who were at the park or watching on TV, which I thought was extremely unusual. As I was walking to my car after the game, I was inundated with 17 texts and like six voicemails. People had been calling and texting me, but my damn AT&T phone wasn't ringing or alerting me of the texts. I was annoyed because most of the voicemails were from friends who were at the game and wanted to meet up.

Jurr
06-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't know of anyone that gets cell reception in stadiums ANYWHERE. I go to games all over the place, and I am sunk when it's game time.

Foulke You
06-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I have a regular "non-smart" AT&T cell phone and get one bar or no bars of signal strength at The Cell. Texting also doesn't work. Mrs. Foulke You has a T Mobile phone and the service works during some games and other games it doesn't.

Jpgr91
06-24-2011, 07:00 PM
In the last week it has gotten exceptionally worse. Prior to last week I was able to switch my network from 3G to 2G and I would encounter no issues texting or receiving calls. In the last week even when I have switched to 2G my calls / texts don't go through even though the phone indicates I have full service.

NDSox12
06-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I also had service problems with my at&t iPhone at the Cell for both games I attended a few weeks ago. This pretty much happens to me at every single sporting event I attend. The worst is at Notre Dame football games when my phone is about as useful as a brick, but even being in crowds of ~20K can be problematic. Sometimes I'm able to solve the problem by switching from 3G to 2G, but even that didn't help at the Cell.