PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Summer solstice, Santos saves, Sox sack Soriano's suckers, 4-3

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Closer than it should have been.

Won't complain about winning a series after losing the first game.

hi im skot
06-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for winning me a free lunch, guys.

doublem23
http://www.cubssuckclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/soxbeatcubs.jpg

thomas35forever
Two of three from the Cubbies. I like.
http://www.flagpro.com/store/media/L_flag.gif

Soxfest
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
2 of 3 Sergio filthy again!:D:

doublem23
Nice to play a team whose offense is just as bad with RISP as we are.

whitesox4eva

Is it bad that the first thing I realize in this picture is that it is 4:20? :redface:

spawn
06-22-2011, 11:14 PM
This means I won't have to hear any **** from the Cubs fans at work. Works for me.

I love the thread title btw. :gulp:

all*star quentin
06-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Fly that flag!

ChiSoxGirl
06-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Santos was absolutely FILTHY tonight! :bandance: Dude has 14 saves, which is outstanding, considering he's finding himself in a new role.

AJ's clutch triple was a rarity, but much needed after the RISP drought we've experienced. The only bad thing is that both Detroit and Cleveland won today, so we don't gain any ground.

It sounds like the crowd was really into this game. I don't remember the last time I was at a Sox game with such an energetic crowd.

doublem23
Is it bad that the first thing I realize in this picture is that it is 4:20? :redface:

If you're older than 17, yes.

MeteorsSox4367

Where's the 'like' status for this picture?

Santos was filthy.

AJ with a two-run triple.

And the Cub fans at work can kindly shut the hell up.

WhiteSox56
AJ came through with a big hit tonight! And our bullpen was stellar!

Frater Perdurabo
It doesn't mean as much as it once did, but amid a medicore season characterized by Walkerball CorpseballŪ, it's nice to take another series from the Cubs.

Soxman219
Another series win against the Scrubs. Nice.:smile:

chisoxfanatic
Cubs outscore the Sox in the series, but Sox win 2 out of 3...Gotta love how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

But, seriously, it didn't have to be that nauseating...Could've scored more with RISP (especially with the bases juiced).

konerko 14
Santos has been amazing these past two games, 7 batters 5 K's

thomas35forever
Gotta love alliteration.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
OK, good game.

What was that in the dugout between AJ and Peavy after Peavy came out of the game? He seemed to be waiting for AJ in the dugout and then they headed down the tunnel.

doublem23
kM7C_yNlCLU

soxfan1965
Good move with Ozzie putting Thornton against Fukudome, a good patient contact hitter. Fukudome got the hit against Thornton before, but Thornton got the best of him. That was a close one. Great win!

FielderJones
06-22-2011, 11:17 PM
The boys keep the streak intact against the NL. Nicely done! Go Sergio!

balke
Santos... wow. Just caught the telecast at the end. What'd AJ say to Peavy ya think that set him off?

PalehosePlanet
Absolutely awesome work from the bullpen the entire series. Had Ozzie pulled Gavin in time in gm. 1 this would have been a sweep.

ChiSoxGal85
Yes! The bullpen has been sharp lately. Peavy fairly solid until the 7th inning - he was tiring. I'm curious as to what words he and AJ exchanged after that inning.

Still a lack of clutch hitting with RISP, in places. Fortunately there was enough to get the job done tonight. Rios 2/4 - he seems to be heating up - and Lillibeast 2/4. And AJ hit a TRIPLE!!!

Only downer - no home run for Paulie tonight, he ends his streak at 5. :(:

34rancher
06-22-2011, 11:18 PM
This means I won't have to hear any **** from the Cubs fans at work. Works for me.

Now do it again next week, so we don't have to hear anything for a year....

Good win, sorry Paulie, all good things come to an end, but let's start it up again. Any chance we can some how get to .500 and within 2 games by the next time we see the northsiders???

JB98
Great job relievers!

Even the game the Sox lost, they shut that Cubbie team down.

Zakath
Serge's sliders superb.

Saturday sees Sox so-so (.500)? :praying:

voodoochile
06-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Another series win the opponent matters less than the fact they pulled out the series after losing the first game. Nice to see Santos back on track again too.

AJ with a triple of all things and the Sox are...

2 games under, 4.5 back.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

WhiteSox56
great to see our bullpen "run on all cylinders" :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
As good as the Sox pitching has been, if they could only get a bit more RISP production and play crisper defense, this team could go on an extended streak. Maybe not 10 in a row, or a 26-5 sprint, but perhaps a 30-15 kind of run.

spawn
06-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I was happy about the Crain acquisition when that non-educated idiot KW signed him. Loving that signing even more as the season has progressed. Also, the bullpen, after an incredibly shaky start, seems to be rounding into form. Thornton has been nasty, and Sale seems to be progressing as well.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2011, 11:22 PM
I know the Nats are playing well, but the Sox really need to win that series. Let's get above .500 and never look back.

JB98
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
I was happy about the Crain acquisition when that non-educated idiot KW signed him. Loveing that signing even more as the season has progressed. Also, the bullpen, after an incredibly shaky start, seems to be rounding into form. Thornton has been nasty, and Sale seems to be progressing as well.

He has replaced Putz quite nicely. And signing him weakened a rival.

doublem23
06-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Kaplan praising AJ for the way he handled his argument with Jake. The universe must be imploding somewhere.

October26
06-22-2011, 11:28 PM
:bandance: Wonderful White sox winner! :bandance:

slavko
06-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Release point on Sergio's slider was all it took. He's going to get better, folks. Give him a year.

If the 'pen had been performing like this from the start, we're right up there, right now.

Cubbies have some nice bullpen arms themselves, even if they were up against weak hitting opposition tonight.

ShooterMcGavin
06-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Closer than it should have been.

Won't complain about winning a series after losing the first game.

Nice alliteration!

Guillen wanted to win this game as we could tell by his bullpen decisions. Guillen wants to beat the Cubs and he did 2 out of 3. Nice job with the bullpen personnel.

AJP with the huge 2 RBI triple.

Bullpen did the damn job tonight.

Moses_Scurry
Magic number for BP cup: 3

spawn
Kaplan praising AJ for the way he handled his argument with Jake. The universe must be imploding somewhere.
He did the mature thing and took him into the clubhouse instead of having Peavy throw a Zambrano-style rant in front of the cameras. I'm glad he handled it that way.

GoGoCrede
Got nothing negative to say. I'm glad we won. :smile:

Zakath
06-22-2011, 11:33 PM
17 straight interleague series wins (last series loss was sweep at Cubs three years ago to the day).

Now, if we could only do that against the AL Central.

JermaineDye05
06-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice to see this team come out with a win.

Judging by the box score, I'm guessing they were abysmal once again with RISP.

Zakath
06-22-2011, 11:36 PM

2-for-9.

palehozenychicty
06-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Good series win. Maybe we can get to .500 within this week. These ain't the same old nasty nats. They're playing much harder and have decent young talent.

doublem23
06-22-2011, 11:39 PM

2-for-9.

Before anyone has a patented freak out, that's actually not much worse than the league average w/ RISP of .253.

tstrike2000
06-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Cubs suck. Glad this first series with these losers are over.

JermaineDye05
06-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Before anyone has a patented freak out, that's actually not much worse than the league average w/ RISP of .253.

Actually it's about 30 points lower than the average if you do the math.

Crooked Number
06-22-2011, 11:42 PM
The bullpen with an incredible effort. Sale, Crain, Thornton, Santos all with gutsy big time efforts to finally get us over the 3 game under roadblock. AJ with a huge game tonight, with a triple? Wow, he usually plays a big role in these crosstowners.

Now for a little critique. I call this one "The Curious Case of Ozzie Guillen"

I love the suicide squeeze call. Ozzie only seems to break this out against the cubs. Why? How many times has Juan Pierre come up with a runner on third, seems like every other game. Instead of watching another agonizing infield or short left field pop up, why not try the squeeze with him? Oh, probably because he can't lay down a bunt either.

Lillibridge continues to spit in Ozzie's face, as if to say "dude, how can you not be starting me over Pierre and hitting me leadoff, look at how much i contribute every game. Plus i am good defensively!" Even an offensively cooled off Lillibridge can: bunt, steal a base, get rbi hbp, you know, contribute. Ozzie continues to defend Pierre in the media, and in true "**** you i run the team" fashion he stubbornly, defiantly, maddeningly trots "Zero Tool" out there.

Ozzie decides to leave Jake in, one hit, two hits, three hits how many in a row? 104 pitches into his first start off the DL and this buffoon leaves him in to just about cough up the game. This was Guillen personified. Asleep at the switch. My god Stone had to mention it on the air because even the old lady with the pins on her hat in section 138 knew Jake had hit the wall, and she is in her 90's. What in the hell could be going through Guillen's head there? Remember that it's his first start since being injured? My god man.

The Sox continue their horrid risp hitting, shutting down...again. They continue to thumb their noses at the law of averages. I mean i bet the Deacon Warren Newson would have had a hit by now if he were in the lineup. This just cannot continue, it has to even out, right? It would take a spectacular amount of bad luck for them to not start improving soon. Thank god AJ ripped that ball or we lose the game.

Sox are now 2 under .500, with three more at home vs the Nationals. The pitching matchups are favorable, we should be able to take two of these to get even. That is the goal. By monday i hope to see the record reflect it. How about a winning streak?

Finally, the two guys in the front row over the visitors dugout with the L flags each deserve high praise! That was ****ing hilarious! Thank you for brandishing those flags gentlemen, thats a real men of genius move right there :D:

doublem23
06-22-2011, 11:43 PM

If you can find a way to cut an at bat into 3 pieces, I would like to see it.

If you had 9 AB with RISP, and were only allowed to work with whole numbers (you know, at bats), the league average would be 2 hits, that is, again, unless you know of some way for a team to have 2 1/3 hits.

Zakath
06-22-2011, 11:44 PM

If you had 9 AB with RISP, and were only allowed to work with whole numbers (you know, at bats), the league average would be 2 hits.

Both of those hits came in the 4th: AJ's triple and Lillibeast's squeeze, which Davis held onto too long.

JermaineDye05
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM

If you had 9 AB with RISP, and were only allowed to work with whole numbers (you know, at bats), the league average would be 2 hits.

Regardless, the team still needs to do better.

I don't want this team to be content with ****ty production with RISP just because the rest of the league is doing so.

Zakath
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Finally, the two guys in the front row over the visitors dugout with the L flags each deserve high praise! That was ****ing hilarious! Thank you for brandishing those flags gentlemen, thats a real men of genius move right there :D:

Except had Pena hit one out, at which point they'd have looked like f'ing fools.

Need to save that crap until AFTER the final pitch.

The Immigrant
06-22-2011, 11:46 PM
2-for-9.

Does that include the squeeze bunt?

TDog
06-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Good move with Ozzie putting Thornton against Fukudome, a good patient contact hitter. Fukudome got the hit against Thornton before, but Thornton got the best of him. That was a close one. Great win!

This was the game, much as Santos getting the last out in the eighth inning was the game Tuesday night. And, as evidence to how much better things are in the Sox bullpen, Thornton, who was blowing every same opportunity he was thrust into in April, came into a game where even a passed ball would have given him another blown save. No problem.

Hitting with runners in scoring position is an abstract, though. Tonight the White Sox had two hits and four RBIs in nine at bats with runners in scoring position, and the Cubs had three hits and two RBIs in 10 at bats with runners in scoring position.

The difference in the game was the Cubs NOT scoring a runner from third base with less than two outs. The difference in the game, essentially, was Lillibridge being hit with a pitch with the bases loaded, or Lillibridge successfully executing a suicide squeeze, which turned out to be a hit because the Cubs pitcher inexplicably seemed to forget he had a play at first.

If Peavy had come out after five, this game probably wouldn't have been as close. Sale had to get two outs in the sixth, anyway. While Peavy really needs to go at least six, he had to work too hard tonight to get through six with the lead. I don't know if he wasn't sharp with his control or if the Cubs just did a good job of working him. Fortunately, the bullpen did its job.

After facing slow pitching of Doug Davis, who shut down the Yankees on three hits for 7.1 innings last week, the Cubs brought in a pitcher who was showing up on Gameday at 100 mph. Fortunately, by that time Pierzynski already hit a two-run triple and Lillibridge had already driven in two runs without swinging the bat.

The most interesting aspect is that the Sox didn't need Konerko tonight. The first time through the order, the Cubs didn't give him a chance. Thereafter, he just didn't hit.

The game might have been different if Morel had done his job in the first and hit to the right side to advance Pierre to third. But I have complaints with the way the game turned out.

BoysMom3
06-22-2011, 11:49 PM
That was such an exciting game! And I love A.J.

doublem23
06-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Regardless, the team still needs to do better.

I don't want this team to be content with ****ty production with RISP just because the rest of the league is doing so.

The Sox don't have "****ty" production with RISP, you obviously have appallingly unrealistic standards and apparently cannot interpret a stat sheet. The Sox are just under the AL average (.253) in BA with RISP (the Sox are hitting .248). The league leader, the Red Sox, are hitting .266. That means the Red Sox are only getting 1 extra hit per 50 at bats.

soxfan1965
06-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I know the Nats are playing well, but the Sox really need to win that series. Let's get above .500 and never look back.

We hear a lot in the media about the unfortunate news of the death of Jackass Star Ryan Dunn. Let's hope that our own Big Donkey star, Adam Dunn, will have a breakout series versus his former team Nats. He should know these pitchers. Just cut down on the K's, that's a good start. Plus he can DH in this series. A good situation, I hope!!

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Magic number for BP cup: 3

Actually, wouldn't it be 1? The Cubs would have to sweep us at Wrigley Field to gain the BP Cup outright. If we lose two of three, the season series ends in a 3-3 tie. Hence, as last year's winner, wouldn't we retain possession of the BP Cup? When I had the mythical Ostrich Kup for Tucson-Mesa spring training series against the Cubs (usually 2 games), the previous year's winner retained the trophy in the event of the 1-1 series tie. The Ostrich Kup got its name for the Ostrich farm alongside I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson and Irv Kupcinet.

doublem23
06-22-2011, 11:57 PM
We hear a lot in the media about the unfortunate news of the death of Jackass Star Ryan Dunn. Let's hope that our own Big Donkey star, Adam Dunn, will have a breakout series versus his former team Nats. He should know these pitchers. Just cut down on the K's, that's a good start. Plus he can DH in this series. A good situation, I hope!!

That is a confusing and inappropriate comparison. Seriously, I don't know what point you were trying to make. They have the same last name and.... ?

DumpJerry
06-22-2011, 11:57 PM

Einstein: maybe you should do the math. There's a 3% difference between .222 and .253. What would have said if all you knew the Sox were 3 for 9 RISP? Do the math before you post.

doublem23
06-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Actually, wouldn't it be 1? The Cubs would have to sweep us at Wrigley Field to gain the BP Cup outright. If we lose two of three, the season series ends in a 3-3 tie. Hence, as last year's winner, wouldn't we retain possession of the BP Cup? When I had the mythical Ostrich Kup for Tucson-Mesa spring training series against the Cubs (usually 2 games), the previous year's winner retained the trophy in the event of the 1-1 series tie. The Ostrich Kup got its name for the Ostrich farm alongside I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson and Irv Kupcinet.

In the event of a 3-3 tie, the BP Cup is awarded to the team who wins the final game, so if we only win 1 at Wrigley, it would have to be the final game on Sunday.

JermaineDye05
06-23-2011, 12:00 AM
The Sox don't have "****ty" production with RISP, you obviously have appallingly unrealistic standards and apparently cannot interpret a stat sheet. The Sox are just under the AL average (.253) in BA with RISP (the Sox are hitting .248). The league leader, the Red Sox, are hitting .266. That means the Red Sox are only getting 1 extra hit per 50 at bats.

Actually, Cleveland leads the AL with a .276 AVG

As for the Red Sox, they're first in the league in XBH (3rd in HR). Given some of the speed they have within their lineup, they don't need to worry so much about hitting with RISP.

FielderJones
06-23-2011, 12:03 AM

Except had Pena hit one out, at which point they'd have looked like f'ing fools.

Need to save that crap until AFTER the final pitch.

I think there was taunting involved with those flags, so the premature nature of brandishing them can be excused. However, the color scheme cannot be excused. Where did they get those knock-offs? As Doub showed upthread, there should be a white L on a blue field.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Regardless of how good, bad or mediocre a Sox season is, it's always nice to beat those clowns and their idiot fan base.

Biggest thing to me tonight was the squeeze...thing of beauty, almost fell out of the chair.

Would have been nice if somebody else important in the division lost tonight but it is what it is.

Hopefully they can keep it going with Washington.

The question was asked about Peavy and A.J. apparently Jake was upset over some of the pitches being called in certain spots. He pointed towards the mound where A.J. was standing and said a few things as he was leaving. When the Sox came up to hit, A.J. went into the tunnel away from the cameras and the two talked it out. Ozzie says it's no big deal.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Did anyone else hear AJ and Jake interviewed about their dugout altercation just a few minutes ago on Sports Night? Man, those 2 are stand-up comedians! :D:

AJ said that they were arguing over who was better: Sarah Kustok or the interviewer.

Jake said that they were arguing over who was the better hunter!

It's nice that they have brushed it aside and can be light about things!

ChiSoxGal85
06-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Heard both AJ and Jake respond to media questions about their "discussion" in the tunnel. AJ and Peavy both neatly sidestepped the issue by claiming they were arguing about things totally unrelated to the game - AJ said it was about the CSN reporter and Jake said it was about hunting. I love it.
:rolling:

Edit: Oops, I see chisoxfanatic beat me to it...sorry for the duplicate post!

DickAllen72
06-23-2011, 12:27 AM
The question was asked about Peavy and A.J. apparently Jake was upset over some of the pitches being called in certain spots. He pointed towards the mound where A.J. was standing and said a few things as he was leaving. When the Sox came up to hit, A.J. went into the tunnel away from the cameras and the two talked it out. Ozzie says it's no big deal.

Lip
On another Sox message board some are saying that AJ was trying to "show up" Peavy by gesturing to the dugout for Ozzie to pull Peavy from the game. Of course he should have been pulled a couple of batters sooner so AJ was correct.

Anyway, AJ won the game with his triple and may have saved the game if indeed he was the one who got Ozzie to finally pull Peavy before it was one batter too late.

DrCrawdad
06-23-2011, 12:28 AM
...The two guys in the front row over the visitors dugout with the L flags each deserve high praise! That was ****ing hilarious! Thank you for brandishing those flags gentlemen, thats a real men of genius move right there :D:

I think there was taunting involved with those flags, so the premature nature of brandishing them can be excused. However, the color scheme cannot be excused. Where did they get those knock-offs? As Doub showed upthread, there should be a white L on a blue field.

Probably should get the color scheme right on the "L" flags but still it is satisfying to see those flying in the faces of the same smug Cubbie fans who wave those "W" flags in their oppositions stadiums on the rare game that the Cubbies win.

Don't like the "L" flags Cubbie Clowns? Fine, then do not ever wave a "W" flag when the Cubbies are the visitors. Don't even bring it.

http://www.didthecubswin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cubs_lose.jpg
Wear It Proudly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unz-GmiE7vE)

MarkZ35
06-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Actually, wouldn't it be 1? The Cubs would have to sweep us at Wrigley Field to gain the BP Cup outright. If we lose two of three, the season series ends in a 3-3 tie. Hence, as last year's winner, wouldn't we retain possession of the BP Cup?
I thought I had heard that the first game of the season series is the tie breaker, so the cubs have the tie breaker this year. It's completely useless either way.

PeteWard
06-23-2011, 12:35 AM
In the event of a 3-3 tie, the BP Cup is awarded to the team who wins the final game, so if we only win 1 at Wrigley, it would have to be the final game on Sunday.

That is the dumbest "tie-breaker" I have ever heard of. It makes more sense just to have a tie in such a case, no? The whole cup thing is a stupid marketing ploy anyway,

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I don't know, I kind of like the white flags with a blue L. Those white flags look like surrender flags, which is what the Cubs are notorious for doing. It fits more.

Crooked Number
06-23-2011, 01:02 AM

Holy ****. Totally missed that. They were in the "win" flag color scheme. Someone used to have a huge one flying in left field in their signature. It was still funny anyway. Yes they would have looked like idiots if Pena went yard but **** it, and **** the cubs!

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2011, 01:04 AM
That is the dumbest "tie-breaker" I have ever heard of. It makes more sense just to have a tie in such a case, no? The whole cup thing is a stupid marketing ploy anyway,
Agreed. It's absurd for a team who was trailing 3-2 in the season series to be awarded the Crosstown Cup for winning that last game to even it up! The SMARTER "tie breaker" would be run differential.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2011, 01:51 AM
The SMARTER "tie breaker" would be run differential.Personally, I think it should be the team's zip code.

Sox
06-23-2011, 02:00 AM
The bullpen with an incredible effort. Sale, Crain, Thornton, Santos all with gutsy big time efforts to finally get us over the 3 game under roadblock. AJ with a huge game tonight, with a triple? Wow, he usually plays a big role in these crosstowners.

I love the suicide squeeze call. Ozzie only seems to break this out against the cubs. Why? How many times has Juan Pierre come up with a runner on third, seems like every other game. Instead of watching another agonizing infield or short left field pop up, why not try the squeeze with him? Oh, probably because he can't lay down a bunt either.

Lillibridge continues to spit in Ozzie's face, as if to say "dude, how can you not be starting me over Pierre and hitting me leadoff, look at how much i contribute every game. Plus i am good defensively!" Even an offensively cooled off Lillibridge can: bunt, steal a base, get rbi hbp, you know, contribute. Ozzie continues to defend Pierre in the media, and in true "**** you i run the team" fashion he stubbornly, defiantly, maddeningly trots "Zero Tool" out there.

Ozzie decides to leave Jake in, one hit, two hits, three hits how many in a row? 104 pitches into his first start off the DL and this buffoon leaves him in to just about cough up the game. This was Guillen personified. Asleep at the switch. My god Stone had to mention it on the air because even the old lady with the pins on her hat in section 138 knew Jake had hit the wall, and she is in her 90's. What in the hell could be going through Guillen's head there? Remember that it's his first start since being injured? My god man.

The Sox continue their horrid risp hitting, shutting down...again. They continue to thumb their noses at the law of averages. I mean i bet the Deacon Warren Newson would have had a hit by now if he were in the lineup. This just cannot continue, it has to even out, right? It would take a spectacular amount of bad luck for them to not start improving soon. Thank god AJ ripped that ball or we lose the game.

Sox are now 2 under .500, with three more at home vs the Nationals. The pitching matchups are favorable, we should be able to take two of these to get even. That is the goal. By monday i hope to see the record reflect it. How about a winning streak?

Great post!!! Valid points definitely. Especially your take on Jake throwing 104 pitches and Ozzie not using the suicide squeeze play more. I agree with the fact that Lillibridge has been building a solid case for more playing time definitely. Why Ozzie continues to put Pierre in the lineup is the 100 million dollar question for sure. I'm hoping that the Sox are at .500 ball before the 4th of July and it sounds like there is a great opportunity at home against the natty nats. Your last quote was the icing on the cake about the real men of genius and the blue L flag. :gosox:

soxfan1965
06-23-2011, 02:04 AM
That is a confusing and inappropriate comparison. Seriously, I don't know what point you were trying to make. They have the same last name and.... ?

Sorry about that and sorry to Dunn, don't really know much about that headline story other than the noticing the same name (and his similar nick name) when I read it. I do hope Dunn breaks out big against his former team. If not, I guess you win some and you lose some, but still hoping for the best while he's here.

central44
06-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Agreed. It's absurd for a team who was trailing 3-2 in the season series to be awarded the Crosstown Cup for winning that last game to even it up! The SMARTER "tie breaker" would be run differential.

That would be better, but that would open the possibility of a team losing the final game of the series and being awarded the cup afterward--which would be weird. (Weirder than the cup nonsense already is!)

Not that it matters. The only value to the BP Cup is how unintentionally funny it is :D: But I think it should belong to whoever has it until they lose it. If this series ends in a 3-3 tie, the Cubs didn't win the cup in any way, and the Sox didn't LOSE the cup, so shouldn't the Sox just keep it as defending cup champions?

Haha I don't care, that's how i'll think of it. In my mind the magic number is 1 :smile:

...Also, i've clearly put way too much thought into this.

BainesHOF
06-23-2011, 03:53 AM

Excellent post.

Lillibridge is indeed spitting in Ozzie's face. I love it. Unfortunately, I'm loving it only every third or fourth game. He's making a positive impact in most games he plays to the point of flat-out saving a handful of victories, but that's not enough for Ozzie to play him on a struggling team. Our manager is more concerned about sticking up for his pet Pierre than fielding a lineup gives the team the best chance to win.

Just as with Floyd in this series, Ozzie left Peavy in long after it was obvious he was done. Just two recent examples of Ozzie putting his desire to be well liked by his players over doing what's best for the team. He's gutless when it comes to handling veterans. By contrast, I just heard someone extolling the virtues of Jack McKeon, saying that any good manager doesn't care about being well liked. Ozzie does care, and that's a major reason why he's a bad manager.

On another subject, the Peavy-Pierzynski flair-up is no big deal. It happens in the heat of competition. However, I do think it's one indication that our catcher is uncharacterically struggling with his pitch calling. I've noticed a steady stream of highly debatable calls from him this season. Along with his body language on many occasions, I think it's a noticeable sign that he's checked out mentally at times behind the plate this year. He's been an outstanding caller of pitches during his time with us, but he's fallen short of his own standard this season. On the positive side, Pierzynski is hitting the ball with authority for the first time since 2009. That's been unexpected and certainly nice to see.

TDog
06-23-2011, 04:29 AM

I fail to see how a player who is inserted in the lineup at different positions, replacing different players is literally or figuratively spitting in the manager's face by often performing well when he does so. How does Lillibridge executing after being asked by the manager to lay down a suicide squeeze bunt imply he is disrespecting the manager?

Wednesday night, Lillibridge was replacing Dunn in the lineup and Quentin on defense. As Dunn's offensive replacement tonight, Lillibridge did pretty well. He was in the right place at the right time. He wouldn't have been in that place if he had been leading off and playing left. In Yankee Stadium earlier this year, he was in the right place in right field to make two game-saving ninth-inning catches. Against the A's on the previous homestand, he was in the right place in left field, saving a one-run lead. He was in the right place in center replacing Rios in a game in that homestand as well.

As a leadoff hitter, Lillibridge has 18 plate appearances and has only reached base four times. Pierre has done better. But as a supersub, Lillibridge is making Guillen look like a genius.

kufram
06-23-2011, 05:33 AM
I fail to see how a player who is inserted in the lineup at different positions, replacing different players is literally or figuratively spitting in the manager's face by often performing well when he does so. How does Lillibridge executing after being asked by the manager to lay down a suicide squeeze bunt imply he is disrespecting the manager?

Wednesday night, Lillibridge was replacing Dunn in the lineup and Quentin on defense. As Dunn's offensive replacement tonight, Lillibridge did pretty well. He was in the right place at the right time. He wouldn't have been in that place if he had been leading off and playing left. In Yankee Stadium earlier this year, he was in the right place in right field to make two game-saving ninth-inning catches. Against the A's on the previous homestand, he was in the right place in left field, saving a one-run lead. He was in the right place in center replacing Rios in a game in that homestand as well.

As a leadoff hitter, Lillibridge has 18 plate appearances and has only reached base four times. Pierre has done better. But as a supersub, Lillibridge is making Guillen look like a genius.

Lillibridge is having huge success and being used in exactly the right way to make him effective and Ozzie is still an idiot. Ozzie makes a lot of questionable field decisions, to be sure, but Lillibridge is an example of a player getting maximum return on limited resources. There is no evidence that he will succeed if used as an everyday player and lots of evidence that moving him around, plugging him in different spots (and I have no objection to Juan's spot being one of them) for different games is very effective. He's far more valuable in the supersub role than he has ever been as a starter. I would like to see him a little more but not at the expense of making him less effective.

We do not have a replacement for Pierre. THAT is the problem. Juan is adjusting to his loss of speed and is costing us fewer outs on the bases because of that. I think he lost all confidence after his terrible play earlier in the year but is adjusting and will be of value. He's gone at the end of the year possibly to retirement, but he will be one of the reason we improve in the second half. We need Rios and Dunn to heat up more than anything else.

I, and I think most managers, particularly like good leadoff hitters and there are precious few of them around. Let's not ruin Lillibridge or TCM moving them into a spot they are not built for.

doublem23
06-23-2011, 06:50 AM

The idea is it virtually always makes the last game "count for the Cup." This is what, 12 years the Sox and Cubs have played a home and home series now, right? I'd be willing to bet that at least 7-8 of those years, the series has been 3-2 entering the final game.

Chez
06-23-2011, 09:13 AM
For the series, Sox bullpen pitched 13.1 innings, allowed no runs and had 15 strikeouts!

October26
06-23-2011, 09:19 AM
That was such an exciting game! And I love A.J.

Yes and Yes!

The game was exciting but a little too close for comfort as far as I'm concerned. I hated to see all the RISP the Sox left on the bases last night/this series/this season. I loved the squeeze play and wish Ozzie & Sox will use it in future games. And kudos to the Sox bullpen for the fantastic job they did in last night's game.

Regarding AJ, Ozzie mentioned during the postgame interview that AJ loves to perform in front of big crowds. I wish AJ could throw runners out, but hey you can't have everything. I enjoy watching AJ play when he has that edge to him.

russ99
06-23-2011, 09:23 AM

That only works with 0 or 1 outs. Pierre's most often been coming up in RISP situations with 2 outs. Besides, every time Pierre comes up to bat, the 3B plays in, which would likely kill the squeeze. Nice nitpicking, though.

Juan's aggressive play into 3rd last night was good to see, he needs to do more of that. If they give him the green light to steal, he's got to stop going for the back of the bag and slide away from the tag.

Also, if Juan can stop elevating on those flyballs to left, and line it over the head of the 3B - who is usually playing in - he'd be a lot more successful in non-bunting situations.

SI1020
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Lillibridge is having huge success and being used in exactly the right way to make him effective and Ozzie is still an idiot. Ozzie makes a lot of questionable field decisions, to be sure, but Lillibridge is an example of a player getting maximum return on limited resources. There is no evidence that he will succeed if used as an everyday player and lots of evidence that moving him around, plugging him in different spots (and I have no objection to Juan's spot being one of them) for different games is very effective. He's far more valuable in the supersub role than he has ever been as a starter. I would like to see him a little more but not at the expense of making him less effective.

We do not have a replacement for Pierre. THAT is the problem. Juan is adjusting to his loss of speed and is costing us fewer outs on the bases because of that. I think he lost all confidence after his terrible play earlier in the year but is adjusting and will be of value. He's gone at the end of the year possibly to retirement, but he will be one of the reason we improve in the second half. We need Rios and Dunn to heat up more than anything else.

I, and I think most managers, particularly like good leadoff hitters and there are precious few of them around. Let's not ruin Lillibridge or TCM moving them into a spot they are not built for. Good post. I like Lillibridge a lot but agree that he and the club are best served using his considerable versatility in a substitute role. Ozzie is not always the best game day manager, but he's between a rock and a hard place with Pierre. I would also like to add that I really liked the squeeze play.

TomBradley72
06-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Excellent post.

Lillibridge is indeed spitting in Ozzie's face. I love it. Unfortunately, I'm loving it only every third or fourth game. He's making a positive impact in most games he plays to the point of flat-out saving a handful of victories, but that's not enough for Ozzie to play him on a struggling team. Our manager is more concerned about sticking up for his pet Pierre than fielding a lineup gives the team the best chance to win.

Just as with Floyd in this series, Ozzie left Peavy in long after it was obvious he was done. Just two recent examples of Ozzie putting his desire to be well liked by his players over doing what's best for the team. He's gutless when it comes to handling veterans. By contrast, I just heard someone extolling the virtues of Jack McKeon, saying that any good manager doesn't care about being well liked. Ozzie does care, and that's a major reason why he's a bad manager.

On another subject, the Peavy-Pierzynski flair-up is no big deal. It happens in the heat of competition. However, I do think it's one indication that our catcher is uncharacterically struggling with his pitch calling. I've noticed a steady stream of highly debatable calls from him this season. Along with his body language on many occasions, I think it's a noticeable sign that he's checked out mentally at times behind the plate this year. He's been an outstanding caller of pitches during his time with us, but he's fallen short of his own standard this season. On the positive side, Pierzynski is hitting the ball with authority for the first time since 2009. That's been unexpected and certainly nice to see.

I think leaving Peavy is in is more a reflection on Ozzie confidence in either Ohman or Bruney- as it was he need 2 innings from Sale + Crain + Thornton + Santos.

This 6 man rotation b.s. needs to go- especially with a week of games in NL ballparks where you need a deeper pen based on pulling pitchers for pinch hitters,etc. My vote is Jackson goes to the pen.

TomBradley72
06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Juan's aggressive play into 3rd last night was good to see, he needs to do more of that. If they give him the green light to steal, he's got to stop going for the back of the bag and slide away from the tag.

I actually thought that was pretty dumb play- taking a risk to get to 3rd with 2 outs is not the smartest move- he barely made it- if he had been thrown out- he took us out of a runner in scoring position with 2 outs.

Tragg
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM

We do not have a replacement for Pierre. THAT is the problem. Juan is adjusting to his loss of speed and is costing us fewer outs on the bases because of that. I think he lost all confidence after his terrible play earlier in the year but is adjusting and will be of value. He's gone at the end of the year possibly to retirement, but he will be one of the reason we improve in the second half. . There's no more evidence that Pierre will improve in the 2nd half than there is that Lilibridge couldn't outperform Pierre now.
Ozzie has a "thing" for players like Pierre, absolutely no matter how poorly they play. That's been obvious since 2007 with his irrational use of Erstad, Owens and Wise.
That said, I agree that Lilibridge is a utility level talent. And I certainly don't want Williams dumping one of the decent young players we have for some modest temporary upgrade.

hawkjt
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I think leaving Peavy is in is more a reflection on Ozzie confidence in either Ohman or Bruney- as it was he need 2 innings from Sale + Crain + Thornton + Santos.

This 6 man rotation b.s. needs to go- especially with a week of games in NL ballparks where you need a deeper pen based on pulling pitchers for pinch hitters,etc. My vote is Jackson goes to the pen.

I kind of like the fact that next week the Cubs will not see any of the same three starters that they saw this week. They will face Jackson,Danks and Humber next week...and be pretty unfamilar with 2 of three of them.

With days off this week and next,the bullpen should get enough rest,altho back to back less than 6 inning outings by MB(rain) and Peavy did put some stress on our pen. But, I think they needed the work,actually,to get into a groove..and it has worked.

FielderJones
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I actually thought that was pretty dumb play- taking a risk to get to 3rd with 2 outs is not the smartest move- he barely made it- if he had been thrown out- he took us out of a runner in scoring position with 2 outs.

Really? After seeing Reed Johnson's noodle arm Tuesday on Morel's sac fly, I thought that was a good percentage play. Runner on third with two out adds to the pitcher's workload, as there is more pressure not to bounce an off-speed pitch at the backup catcher.

Holy ****. Totally missed that. They were in the "win" flag color scheme.

After further review (freeze frame on the flag in the Pena strikeout video (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16195143&c_id=cws)), it turns out these knock-offs are from loserflag.com, where they claim (http://www.loserflag.com/F.A.html) the bad color scheme was done to annoy Cubs fans. :rolleyes: Yeah right. If I ever need an L flag, I will go with the original (http://www.flagpro.com/store/L-Flag-3x5%20ft.html) from FlagPro.

doublem23
06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I kind of like the fact that next week the Cubs will not see any of the same three starters that they saw this week. They will face Jackson,Danks and Humber next week...and be pretty unfamilar with 2 of three of them.

With days off this week and next,the bullpen should get enough rest,altho back to back less than 6 inning outings by MB(rain) and Peavy did put some stress on our pen. But, I think they needed the work,actually,to get into a groove..and it has worked.

Yeah, I feel the 6-man rotation has coincided with the best baseball this team has played during the season. Given the constant injury risk Peavy is, I would be less comfortable taking a guy like Jackson and bumping him between the rotation and bullpen everytime Jake gets too macho to tell doctors that he's hurting.

Ultimately you got to go with your 12 best pitchers and sort it out from there, who would you drop only to be replaced by someone like Tony Pena?

I also don't think it's coincidence we're seeing Mark Buehrle at his best in years since we've added a 6th arm to the rotation.

doublem23
06-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Really? After seeing Reed Johnson's noodle arm Tuesday on Morel's sac fly, I thought that was a good percentage play. Runner on third with two out adds to the pitcher's workload, as there is more pressure not to bounce an off-speed pitch at the backup catcher.

I have to agree, if there's a CF out there to run on, it's Reed Johnson.

SOXPHILE
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
After further review (freeze frame on the flag in the Pena strikeout video (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16195143&c_id=cws)), it turns out these knock-offs are from loserflag.com, where they claim (http://www.loserflag.com/F.A.html) the bad color scheme was done to annoy Cubs fans. :rolleyes: Yeah right. If I ever need an L flag, I will go with the original (http://www.flagpro.com/store/L-Flag-3x5%20ft.html) from FlagPro.

I saw those, and realized they should have been blue with a white L also. But, in the grand scheme of things, I still think it was absolutely hilarious/awesome. If they are done in white on purpose to annoy Cubs fans, that's great by me. I love it. I've always wanted to get and bring an L flag to a Sox-Cubs series, white or blue, it wouldn't matter. It's still funny.

(My dad grew lived around Wrigley in the 50's, and he swears up and down that they used to fly a white flag with blue L for losses and a blue flag with a white W for a win, but I don't know).

kufram
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
There's no more evidence that Pierre will improve in the 2nd half than there is that Lilibridge couldn't outperform Pierre now.
Ozzie has a "thing" for players like Pierre, absolutely no matter how poorly they play. That's been obvious since 2007 with his irrational use of Erstad, Owens and Wise.
That said, I agree that Lilibridge is a utility level talent. And I certainly don't want Williams dumping one of the decent young players we have for some modest temporary upgrade.

I think there is actual evidence of Pierre's second half improved play if only from last year. I'm not a stathead but I believe he is historically better post ASG. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure he got better last year. That doesn't mean it will happen this year but he's not stupid and I think he will find ways to contribute. More to the point.... he's the guy we have so we need to get the most out of him. I'd love to see someone come in and set the table like Pods did in '05 and I wouldn't hesitate replacing Pierre with that guy, but at present we do not have him.

TomBradley72
06-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Really? After seeing Reed Johnson's noodle arm Tuesday on Morel's sac fly, I thought that was a good percentage play. Runner on third with two out adds to the pitcher's workload, as there is more pressure not to bounce an off-speed pitch at the backup catcher..

Doesn't reflect well on Pierre's speed then- he barely beat the throw.

TomBradley72
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I think there is actual evidence of Pierre's second half improved play if only from last year. I'm not a stathead but I believe he is historically better post ASG. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure he got better last year. That doesn't mean it will happen this year but he's not stupid and I think he will find ways to contribute. More to the point.... he's the guy we have so we need to get the most out of him. I'd love to see someone come in and set the table like Pods did in '05 and I wouldn't hesitate replacing Pierre with that guy, but at present we do not have him.

His stolen bases are down 65% vs. a year ago- he's hitting .217 in June and has 5 stolen bases since May 1- even IF he's better in the 2nd half I don't see how he brings value. His pace for May/June = 18 stolen bases/year. 18! Bobby Molinaro was a better lead off man than the 2011 edition of Juan Pierre.

Everyone keeps saying we don't have another "true lead off hitter" if we don't have Pierre- since when are guys with a .300 OBP who can't steal bases "true lead off hitters"?

Speed doesn't slump- it just goes away- as it has with Juan.

It's like watching Fisk and Baines at the end of their careers- it's not a slump, or technique, or that they are "close"- it's age.

PeteWard
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Doesn't reflect well on Pierre's speed then- he barely beat the throw.

Johnson made a helluva throw. But it was one of those "No, no no no....Yes!" plays. With two out he should have held up at 2nd.

doublem23
06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Johnson made a helluva throw. But it was one of those "No, no no no....Yes!" plays. With two out he should have held up at 2nd.

Usually, yes, but when you're struggling to score runs sometimes you have to pick and choose your spots to push the envelop and running on Reed Johnson is one of those spots.

Crooked Number
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I saw those, and realized they should have been blue with a white L also. But, in the grand scheme of things, I still think it was absolutely hilarious/awesome. If they are done in white on purpose to annoy Cubs fans, that's great by me. I love it. I've always wanted to get and bring an L flag to a Sox-Cubs series, white or blue, it wouldn't matter. It's still funny.

(My dad grew lived around Wrigley in the 50's, and he swears up and down that they used to fly a white flag with blue L for losses and a blue flag with a white W for a win, but I don't know).

And apparently it has worked like a charm. Listening to wscr Mac show and they read a text from a cubbie guy "did you see those clowns with the L flags last night? if you own one of those you are a bigger loser than the cubs" or something whiney and hilarious- hahah sounds like some bitter grapes to me. I love it.

russ99
06-23-2011, 11:49 AM
His stolen bases are down 65% vs. a year ago- he's hitting .217 in June and has 5 stolen bases since May 1- even IF he's better in the 2nd half I don't see how he brings value. His pace for May/June = 18 stolen bases/year. 18! Bobby Molinaro was a better lead off man than the 2011 edition of Juan Pierre.

Everyone keeps saying we don't have another "true lead off hitter" if we don't have Pierre- since when are guys with a .300 OBP who can't steal bases "true lead off hitters"?

Speed doesn't slump- it just goes away- as it has with Juan.

It's like watching Fisk and Baines at the end of their careers- it's not a slump, or technique, or that they are "close"- it's age.

He looked pretty fast to me going to 3rd. Even if Johnson's arm is poor, it was a medium-deep fly, and the slide was key. When he was getting thrown out on steals, Pierre was going to a specific place on the base, and here he went to the point where he knew the tag could have been late.

IMO, it's all about aggressiveness. Juan down on himself performing a steal with a poor jump is certainly slower than Juan really hustling to the bag, as we saw last night.

Also, Pierre's 33. It's not like Fisk or Baines, who faded when they were much older.

Even if he's lost a step as some claim, he can help the team by getting on base and scoring runs, even if he's not stealing bases at the same clip.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Dick Allen:

Just FYI, Sun-Times reported today the best guess on the Peavy - A. J. incident was that it was over pitch selection.

Doesn't seem to be a big deal though, Phil Rogers wrote today he actually thinks it's a good thing.

Lip

BainesHOF
06-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Juan's aggressive play into 3rd last night was good to see, he needs to do more of that.

Wrong. You don't take a chance like that of making the third out at third base. It's all about risk vs. reward. Pierre was already in scoring position. It was a mental blunder.

spawn
06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Usually, yes, but when you're struggling to score runs sometimes you have to pick and choose your spots to push the envelop and running on Reed Johnson is one of those spots.

Exactly. This team has a hard enough time scoring with a runner on second and less than two outs. I have no problem with his aggressiveness on that play.

SOXPHILE
06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
And apparently it has worked like a charm. Listening to wscr Mac show and they read a text from a cubbie guy "did you see those clowns with the L flags last night? if you own one of those you are a bigger loser than the cubs" or something whiney and hilarious- hahah sounds like some bitter grapes to me. I love it.

Heard it too. Yeah, it's OK for all the annoying frat boys and tourists to unfurl the big W flags at Sox park if the Cubs win (as well as many other parks I've seen them)- and act all cocky and self assured, as if their team was the Yankees. But somebody throws it back in their face and puts up the L flag ? Waaaaaaaaa ! You're a douchebag ! You're a meanie Sox fan ! Sox fans care more about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning...Waaaaaaaaaa !!!!! I loved it. If your're gonna arrogantly wave around that W flag when they win, than you should also have that L flag out when they lose. This also goes for the idiots who have them hanging outside their house or attached to their cars all the time.

Nelfox02
06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
fun game....glad I went. Like several of the fans around me I was scratching my head with how Oz handled Peavy....why are the sox riding this guy so hard? 90 pitches, first game back off the DL, he had a 3 run lead, good enough for first game back....grab a seat. I wish this team would take a more kids glove approach to this guy, if they have an issue doing that with him then they should have not gotten him in the first place....as SD was already doing that before he had serious injuriy issues in 09

but all in all a very fun night at the park, great drama

nice series win

PeteWard
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
fun game....glad I went. Like several of the fans around me I was scratching my head with how Oz handled Peavy....why are the sox riding this guy so hard? 90 pitches, first game back off the DL, he had a 3 run lead, good enough for first game back....grab a seat. I wish this team would take a more kids glove approach to this guy, if they have an issue doing that with him then they should have not gotten him in the first place....as SD was already doing that before he had serious injuriy issues in 09

nice series win

Not sure unless he wanted to give Ohmann and Bruney their rest and try to get past the 6th. It was strange.

TheOldRoman
06-23-2011, 02:40 PM

nice series winNot true. His innings per start was 6.6 in 2007, 6.4 in 2008 and 6.4 in 2009. Unless the Padres' concerted effort to take him out earlier resulted in less than a difference of one out per game, that didn't happen.

DickAllen72
06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Dick Allen:

Just FYI, Sun-Times reported today the best guess on the Peavy - A. J. incident was that it was over pitch selection.

Doesn't seem to be a big deal though, Phil Rogers wrote today he actually thinks it's a good thing.

Lip
Yeah, it's really much ado about nothing at that other site.