PDA

View Full Version : Denver/Coors Field Advice (and roll call)

OregonSoxFan
06-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I am flying in for the Rockies series. Has anyone been to Coors? Any recommendations for places to hang out in the city? I am hoping their will be some other Sox fans in attendance....watching us get to .500?????

manders_01
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I am flying in for the Rockies series. Has anyone been to Coors? Any recommendations for places to hang out in the city? I am hoping their will be some other Sox fans in attendance....watching us get to .500?????

Yay! There will be lots of Sox representation, I'm positive of that. I've seen plenty at the park when they're not playing and around town. I'll be in attendance all three games. Can't wait!!! :bandance:

I have been many, many times. It a great ballpark. In fact, I prefer it to The Cell. :redface: Lots of good food choices, prices aren't too terrible and room to roam. If you are staying downtown, you have no reason to even think about parking prices, just walk over.

Places to hang out: The Downtown Tavern is caddy-corner from the ballpark, has a great rooftop deck and is typically packed before a game. Really, anywhere in the neighborhood is good. Lot's of bars and restaurants around. Amato's Ale House is in the Highlands neighborhood (west of the ballpark) and it also has a great rooftop deck and lots of local beers on tap.

If you want to shoot me a PM about any specific questions you may have, feel free.

Medford Bobby
06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
I actually like sitting in the rock pile seats....Coor's overall is a great place to see a game.

It's been almost 10 years since I have been around the ball park, so I'm sure even finer restaurants and sports bar still exist today.

skobabe8
06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I actually like sitting in the rock pile seats....Coor's overall is a great place to see a game.

It's been almost 10 years since I have been around the ball park, so I'm sure even finer restaurants and sports bar still exist today.

I loved the Rockpile seats when I visited.

Coors is my favorite ballpark. Great concourse. Great neighborhood.

DSpivack
06-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Coors isn't my favorite park in terms of actual ballpark design--it seems more or less the same as Turner Field--but in terms of setting and neighborhood, it might be my favorite.

OregonSoxFan
06-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Thank you for the responses. I am excited to see it for myself. Hope to see a lot of Sox fans at the game and drinking pints before:gulp:

johnny bench
06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
We have liked Falling Rock Tap House, which is less than a block from the ballpark on Blake Street. Super beer selection and good food as well.
http://www.fallingrocktaphouse.com/

manders_01
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM

My tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday's games are in the Rockpile. Thursday we are on the home plate side of the Sox dugout, not too far up. Gonna be awesome! :cool:

rookie
06-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Do the ballpark tour as well. Very nice people in Denver.

skobabe8
06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Coors isn't my favorite park in terms of actual ballpark design--it seems more or less the same as Turner Field--but in terms of setting and neighborhood, it might be my favorite.

I thought the architecture and the details of the brick on the outside of CF were excellent. I also love the massive right field stands for some reason. I'll be visiting Turner next month so I'll have to see if it reminds me of Coors.

My tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday's games are in the Rockpile. Thursday we are on the home plate side of the Sox dugout, not too far up. Gonna be awesome! :cool:

I visited in 2005 and it seemed like Rockpile seats were like $6. Is this still the case?

Do the ballpark tour as well. Very nice people in Denver.

That was another reason it blew me away. The usher I chatted with was unbelievably nice and friendly. He told me about the park, offered to snap a picture....just great.

manders_01
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I visited in 2005 and it seemed like Rockpile seats were like $6. Is this still the case?

Uh-oh, you got ripped off! :o: They're $4. :wink: Quite a value for a night at the ballpark.

skobabe8
06-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Uh-oh, you got ripped off! :o: They're $4. :wink: Quite a value for a night at the ballpark.

Ya know, I thought they were under $5, but I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly. :D:

$4 to sit in center field at a MLB baseball game... That's astounding. So they are still $4??

manders_01
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Ya know, I thought they were under $5, but I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly. :D:

$4 to sit in center field at a MLB baseball game... That's astounding. So they are still $4??

I know, right? Hell of a deal!

Yep, still 4 bucks (though since I bought online with the fees it was like $5.25).

doublem23
06-23-2011, 01:58 PM
So, I'll bite... What's wrong with the Rockpile seats that keeps them at $4? Can't see the whole field? No nearby food/drink/washroom options? They randomly choose a fan per game and publicly stone them to send good vibes to the Rockies a la The Lottery?

manders_01
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
So, I'll bite... What's wrong with the Rockpile seats that keeps them at $4? Can't see the whole field? No nearby food/drink/washroom options? They randomly choose a fan per game and publicly stone them to send good vibes to the Rockies a la The Lottery?

Absolutely nothing wrong with them. IIRC, and I don't recall where or when I heard this, but the low ticket price and seating was related to being able to build the ballpark. Rockpile tickets give access to any other non-club level ticket so essentially all the food in the ballpark is available. Excellent views of not only the field but downtown and the mountains. I would relate them to the party patio at The Cell though farther back and higher.

Click on Section 401, 402 and 403 to get an idea of the view. (http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/col/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp)

OregonSoxFan
06-23-2011, 05:44 PM
If I purchase Rock Pile seats, do I have access to other parts of the stadium? Basically, can I buy a Rock Pile seat and go find a better seat? :cool:

johnnyg83
06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
bring sunglasses, especially if you're sitting on 1B side or RF ... the sun sets just behind the scoreboard in LF and it can be a long few hours till sundown if you don't bring glasses.

manders_01
06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
If I purchase Rock Pile seats, do I have access to other parts of the stadium? Basically, can I buy a Rock Pile seat and go find a better seat? :cool:

Yes and no. Yes, you have access to the entire stadium except club level. No, you more than likely will not be able to get a better seat. The ushers are sticklers about checking tickets. But there is plenty of open standing space above the bullpen (right field) or at the pavilion (left field).

skobabe8
06-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Yes and no. Yes, you have access to the entire stadium except club level. No, you more than likely will not be able to get a better seat. The ushers are sticklers about checking tickets. But there is plenty of open standing space above the bullpen (right field) or at the pavilion (left field).

Has that changed? I sat almost everywhere for an inning.

ChicagoRushFan
06-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I was just there a few weeks ago. I saw LA play and Detroit a week later. I kinda feel differently than some of the posters on here. I found the actual physical stadium to be a bit disappointing. It was built in the mid 90s, and I thought it showed. Don't get me wrong it is a nice play to see a game, and I'd probably take it over the Cell. But I like PNC, Washington and a few other places better. I kinda liked Phoenix better too (in some respects).

My advice is to not buy tickets ahead of time. There are TONS of scalpers outside with most under face value.

Parking is super cheap at Coors too. I spent the entire day downtown and I parked all day for five bucks. It's awesome.

AZChiSoxFan
06-23-2011, 10:00 PM

You crack me up doub. You so love the Sox charging $60, $70, $80 a game for average seats that apparantly you can't believe that other teams actually have the gaul to charge < $10 a game to get in. The horror!!

skobabe8
06-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Bleachers with no seatbacks. Thats it.

Mots09
06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Check out the Flying Dog brewery its right down the street.

DSpivack
06-23-2011, 10:42 PM

They moved to Maryland a few years ago.

EDIT: Nevermind, they still have the tap room in Denver, though all of their beers are now made in Frederick, MD. Though on their website it says they are only open Thu-Fri from 4-6pm.

OregonSoxFan
06-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Great, i look forward to seeing Coors and finding some Sox fans to drink beer with. PM me if anyone is in the area and wants to pregame.

manders_01
06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Has that changed? I sat almost everywhere for an inning.

It mostly depends on when you try to move and where you try to move to. But I've almost always found that even if I know where I'm going, the usher is checking my ticket. Heck, even when I go with my friends who have season tickets and the ushers know them by name, they still check their tickets.

They moved to Maryland a few years ago.

EDIT: Nevermind, they still have the tap room in Denver, though all of their beers are now made in Frederick, MD. Though on their website it says they are only open Thu-Fri from 4-6pm.

It is no longer right down the street though the address listed is not far from the ballpark (2330 Broadway). The thing is, I know that building and I am not aware of Flying Dog being there.

manders_01
06-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Hey Mods, don't know if this is possible but would you mind adding "and roll call" to the thread title so myself and OregonSoxFan can see who's coming? Didn't want to start a new thread cause I don't think that's probably warranted. Thank you!

Medford Bobby
06-24-2011, 05:48 PM

I like the view...seems closer to the action than those upper deck seats.

Wow, I thought the seats were 5 dollars back ten years ago last time I went. Never got hassled for ushers asking for tickets during last weekend game to see the Sox play at Chase Field.:cool:

BarbG
06-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Hey Mods, don't know if this is possible but would you mind adding "and roll call" to the thread title so myself and OregonSoxFan can see who's coming? Didn't want to start a new thread cause I don't think that's probably warranted. Thank you!

Hey Manders,

I'M COMING!!!!!! :smile:

manders_01
06-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey Manders,

I'M COMING!!!!!! :smile:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk:

Harry Potter
06-26-2011, 07:15 PM
*Roll Call*

I will be there with a fellow Sox season-ticket holder for all 3 of the games. Hoping to see a good amount of Sox fans out there!

manders_01
06-26-2011, 07:46 PM
I pretty much have plans for before the games but if any WSIers are interested in meeting up during or after the Tuesday or Wednesday games, I'd love to do so!

chisox59
06-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I'll be taking off work on Wednesday evening and going with my oldest son and daughter. Per the Denver Post Buehrle is pitching on Wednesday. The last Sox game I saw in person Mark also pitched. It was July 23, 2009 and as I recall he did pretty well. I don't expect him to be perfect on Wednesday but I'll take a "W" any way we can get it.

SaltyPretzel
06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I'll be there all 3 games. :gulp:

doublem23
06-28-2011, 08:32 AM
You crack me up doub. You so love the Sox charging $60, $70, $80 a game for average seats that apparantly you can't believe that other teams actually have the gaul to charge < $10 a game to get in. The horror!!

:scratch:

What the **** are you talking about? I've never been to Denver, I've never sat in those seats, but for $4 I figured there had to be something wrong with them, like some of the cheaper seats at the new Cowboys Stadium or new Yankees Stadium. There are deals to be had there, too, as long as you don't mind not being able to see over 1/2 the field.

Anyways, it sounds like those seats are only $4 because of a deal struck to finance the stadium (which, BTW, is awesome), but I'm certain if the Rockies had their way, they'd be a bit pricier.

steviestayfresh
06-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Go to Lodo's downtown. Good bar food and drink specials!

Just as a heads up, you will be mobbed by a barrage of vendors before you get into the ballpark selling anything under the sun. Water, pop, t-shirts, foam fingers, burritos, churros, you name it.

manders_01
06-28-2011, 01:45 PM
6 HOURS TILL FIRST PITCH!!! :bandance: :bliss: :bandance:

Can you tell I'm slightly bouncing off the walls?!? :wired: It's just been WAY too long since I've seen my Sox live! :D:

hawkjt
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
6 HOURS TILL FIRST PITCH!!! :bandance: :bliss: :bandance:

Can you tell I'm slightly bouncing off the walls?!? :wired: It's just been WAY too long since I've seen my Sox live! :D:

Just make sure you get us a win,ok?:D:

manders_01
06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Just make sure you get us a win,ok?:D:

That's definitely the plan! :thumbsup:

skobabe8
06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
That's definitely the plan! :thumbsup:

Try a different plan!!

:redneck

manders_01
06-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Try a different plan!!

I know! Certainly not the outcome, or even the game, I was hoping for. :mad:

manders_01
06-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Try a different plan!!

I know! Certainly not the outcome, or even the game, I was hoping for. :mad:

Did my job! :D:

:winner

SaltyPretzel
06-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm at the airport at Denver right now. Nice to see the Sox take 2 of 3. Coor Field is nice. I thought Denver and the people there were pretty bland though.

all*star quentin
06-30-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm at the airport at Denver right now. Nice to see the Sox take 2 of 3. Coor Field is nice. I thought Denver and the people there were pretty bland though.

You did a great job in Denver! The cheers for the White Sox surely had an impact.:cool:
Have a safe flight.

October26
07-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Did my job! :D:

:winner

HIGH FIVE, Manders - you sure did!

I saw the replay of the game last night on Comcast and Sox fans were wildly cheering & clapping especially during the 8th inning and on. Were you in that bunch?

manders_01
07-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Sorry to hear that though you clearly weren't talking to the right people. :D:

HIGH FIVE, Manders - you sure did!

I saw the replay of the game last night on Comcast and Sox fans were wildly cheering & clapping especially during the 8th inning and on. Were you in that bunch?

Not sure. Many "Paulie" chants going on which was pretty cool. And funny when they did the Coors Light request radio and had Thunderstruck as an option. Yeah, lots of Sox fans in the ballpark and that's one of our songs. :cool:

But I don't if I managed to make it on TV or not. I plan on watching the game when I get back home though cause where I was sitting, and where one of my friends were sitting, we both had great opportunities to be on TV. I know I'm a complete dork but I think it'd be totally cool if I made it on TV! :redface:

Harry Potter
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I had a blast at all 3 games. Great to see a good number of Sox fans make the trip. Amanda - thanks for your suggestions, especially Tavern. Spent much of my time at Tavern, Wynkoop, and Great Divide before and after the games.

Denver and Boulder were great towns and met some pretty cool people in both cities. Hopefully the Sox make a return trip up there soon!

manders_01
07-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I had a blast at all 3 games. Great to see a good number of Sox fans make the trip. Amanda - thanks for your suggestions, especially Tavern. Spent much of my time at Tavern, Wynkoop, and Great Divide before and after the games.

Denver and Boulder were great towns and met some pretty cool people in both cities. Hopefully the Sox make a return trip up there soon!

My pleasure! Glad you had an enjoyable visit! :thumbsup: