PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle and Konerko's All-Star Performance

FanOf14
07-09-2002, 10:33 PM
I have to say that I am really impressed with both the Sox' representatives in today's game. It's too bad Sasaki couldn't get the third out without giving up the lead that Konerko got the AL with his 2 RBI double.

I am not sure who that was in center that missed the fly ball that was hit by Miller (I think) but I really thought that was catchable. Other than that Buehrle did decently.

PK went 2-2 with two doubles and two RBIs. AWESOME!!!!!!
:) :D: :)

Cheers to both our All-Stars: PK and Mark!!!!!!!!!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

doublem23
07-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Nah, that double off Buehrle is a hard play to make knowing you're running full speed into an immovable wall. I don't think people realize how much those things hurt until you crash into one. :)

CiscoCarlos
07-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Hard to tell from the various TV angles, but I think if Hunter was still in CF, it would have been caught.

Konerko seems to be peaking during all this controversy with Thomas--pressure seems to bring out the best in him.

RedPinStripes
07-09-2002, 11:29 PM
I had a softball game tonight. Watching now. Good thing i taped it. I'll watch the first 9 innings tomorrow.

CerberusWG
07-09-2002, 11:30 PM
The only way Konerko DOESN'T win The Ted Williams award (MVP) is fi Berkamn cranks a HR or gets another RBI.

nut_stock
07-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
The only way Konerko DOESN'T win The Ted Williams award (MVP) is fi Berkamn cranks a HR or gets another RBI.

My gut tells me 2 things: 1) Paul will have plenty of opportunities; 2) I'm hungry.

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2002, 12:31 AM
The Sox have had great success in the All Star game recently. Last year, Maggs hit that wonderful home run off of Cub pitching (Lieber); and the year before that, JB got the victory, while Maggs got the game-winning RBI...

As for this year, Buehrle looked great out there, and was the only non-starter to be left in for more than an inning! He did us proud. Paulie would've been the MVP if it didn't end in a tie, and did us even prouder! I think that Paulie's gonna go on an even more impressive tear in Detroit starting this Thursday!

WTG, PK and Burly!

Heather the Redbird

bc2k
07-10-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Nah, that double off Buehrle is a hard play to make knowing you're running full speed into an immovable wall. I don't think people realize how much those things hurt until you crash into one. :)

I could see being cautious in an All-Star game, but that CF didn't even put up his glove. He just ran to the spot and leaped to the fence. Or if he wanted to be cautious, play the ball of the damn wall.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

I could see being cautious in an All-Star game, but that CF didn't even put up his glove. He just ran to the spot and leaped to the fence. Or if he wanted to be cautious, play the ball of the damn wall.

From day one, you're taught not to put your glove out unless your sure you're going to make the catch (easy way to break arms) and it's pretty hard to stop in mid-air (Believe me, there have been times when I realized that too late). :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 12:38 AM
From day one, you're taught not to put your glove out unless your sure you're going to make the catch (easy way to break arms) and it's pretty hard to stop in mid-air (Believe me, there have been times when I realized that too late). :smile:

Damon is a little bitch, Erstad would've ran through that wall, he's nuts!

idseer
07-10-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

the original camera angle did make it appear he had a shot at it, but the last one they showed (looked like it was from leftfield sidelines) made it clear to me that no one could catch that ball.

kevingrt
07-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

The ESPN Radio coverage had Dave Campbell giving it out to Paulie and Damian Millar who I think also deserved it.

Clarkdog
07-10-2002, 11:39 AM
In spite of the All-Star tie-game debacle and the Ted Williams award not being handed out, ESPN has posted a survey as to who should have won the award if it were given out.

Konerko is leading Hunter and Bonds by a slight margin.

CubKilla
07-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

IMHO, Damon shouldn't have even been at the All-Star game. But what do I know. Maggs would have been the better choice..... not saying Maggs would have made that play, but Damon doesn't have the numbers that Maggs does. And I agree JM..... Damon is a BITCH! LOL.

CubKilla
07-10-2002, 03:35 PM
I forgot..... PK and Buehrle did White Sox fans proud. Way to go guys.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by idseer

the original camera angle did make it appear he had a shot at it, but the last one they showed (looked like it was from leftfield sidelines) made it clear to me that no one could catch that ball.

Yeah, IMO, if that play had been made, that would have been more spectacular that Hunter robbing Bonds.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
IMHO, Damon shouldn't have even been at the All-Star game. But what do I know. Maggs would have been the better choice..... not saying Maggs would have made that play, but Damon doesn't have the numbers that Maggs does. And I agree JM..... Damon is a BITCH! LOL.

We didn't need Randy Wynn or Robert Fick either. I'm just a big fan of Darrin Erstad, he's shows no concern for his body out there.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 04:21 PM
Yeah, IMO, if that play had been made, that would have been more spectacular that Hunter robbing Bonds.

Not really. Perhaps a Darrin Erstad plays the hitter different, and he's able to get to the ball. It's all if's anyway.