PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Wibon covers the Crosstown Classic

Fenway
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/columns/story?columnist=wilbon_michael&id=6686834

g0g0
06-21-2011, 04:08 PM
"...and poor Adam Dunn, who swung the bat like Babe Ruth last summer in the NL but Dr. Ruth so far in the AL,"

:lol:

FielderJones
06-21-2011, 04:52 PM
"Every loss feels like three or four," Guillen said.

On WSI, every loss feels like ten.

DSpivack
06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Konerko isn't something less than an MVP candidate, he IS an MVP candidate.

34rancher
06-21-2011, 05:00 PM
"...and poor Adam Dunn, who swung the bat like Babe Ruth last summer in the NL but Dr. Ruth so far in the AL,"

:lol:

If I were Dr. Ruth, I'd be ticked off at the comparison. That old gal has swung a bat in her day way better than Dunn.

And I guarantee she didn't strikeout as much in her field.

DrCrawdad
06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
If I were Dr. Ruth, I'd be ticked off at the comparison. That old gal has swung a bat in her day way better than Dunn.

How about Dr Ruth to replace Walker A's hitting coach?

BigKlu59
06-21-2011, 05:30 PM
"Every loss feels like three or four," Guillen said.

On WSI, every loss feels like ten.

Thats a fact.... cause when they do lose they combine miscues and malaprops that make you feel like you've just watched them lose 10 in a row...

BK59

Foulke You
06-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Konerko isn't something less than an MVP candidate, he IS an MVP candidate.
I found that to be an odd comment too. Why exactly is Paulie "less than an MVP" this season? Is it the uniform he wears?

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I found that to be an odd comment too. Why exactly is Paulie "less than an MVP" this season? Is it the uniform he wears?

Pretty much, I don't like it when an MVP comes from a sub .500 team. If the Sox contend or make the playoffs, then he becomes an MVP candidate. But if this team is under .500 and/or more than eight games out of first, I don't think Konerko should be MVP.

cards press box
06-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Dr. Ruth, huh? I don't buy it. Hitters ultimately end up at or near their norm. No reason to think that Dunn won't ultimately move in that direction although his final numbers will almost certainly be down from last year.

Has Dunn played tight so far? No doubt about it. But he is far from through. He is having a longer adjustment to the AL and to DH'ing than most people expected but I still expect him to start hitting like he always has. If I may quote former Cub manager Lou Piniella, "I don't care if a guy is hitting .220 in April, May or June; if he is a .280 hitter, then by September, he'll be hitting .280." We'll see.

And Fenway, I have a question: what is a duck boat and why are New Englanders getting them ready?

all*star quentin
06-21-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm watching him now, the Michigan Ave bridge is in the background.:cool:

g0g0
06-22-2011, 10:16 AM

So true - she's been a heavyweight in her field.

How about Dr Ruth to replace Walker A's hitting coach?

I'd like to see this idea! Definitely would go with the "All In" slogan. :D:

Dr. Ruth, huh? I don't buy it. Hitters ultimately end up at or near their norm. No reason to think that Dunn won't ultimately move in that direction although his final numbers will almost certainly be down from last year.

Has Dunn played tight so far? No doubt about it. But he is far from through. He is having a longer adjustment to the AL and to DH'ing than most people expected but I still expect him to start hitting like he always has. If I may quote former Cub manager Lou Piniella, "I don't care if a guy is hitting .220 in April, May or June; if he is a .280 hitter, then by September, he'll be hitting .280." We'll see.

I don't think he was saying that he wouldn't, just that so far he's been a bust for the WS, which is pretty much what everyone else is saying at this point. I think Piniella is right about that, though I wouldn't want my hitter to just reach .280 at the end - I want him hitting .280+ throughout the season consistently.

34rancher
06-22-2011, 10:39 AM
I'd like to see this idea! Definitely would go with the "All In" slogan. :

:rolling:

That kind of light hearted sense of humor might just relax the entire team, including Ozzie who seems to need a few laughs lately.