PDA

View Full Version : Glover to start vs. Seattle

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 01:12 AM
From the Trib:
Manuel said he's likely to go with a temporary six-man rotation beginning next weekend in Seattle, when he will insert Gary Glover into the rotation for one of the three games against the Mariners.

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 01:12 AM
sounds cool....

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 01:13 AM
my only question that you did not answer is.....why is he doing this?

doublem23
08-07-2001, 01:16 AM
So, if he's going with a 6-man rotation, does that mean we'll have a 12-man staff???

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
So, if he's going with a 6-man rotation, does that mean we'll have a 12-man staff???

He's not going with a 6 man staff:
Manuel said he's likely to go with a temporary six-man rotation.

To me that means one game, two tops that Glover starts. If Glover does well and Kip faulters in his next start, Kip goes to the pen and Glover takes his spot is what I imagine will shake down.

Mathew
08-07-2001, 01:53 AM
I booked my plane ticket and hotel room already so I get to see Glover start.

Mathew
08-07-2001, 01:57 AM
But I disagree with this move, although I understand it's logic, I hat to see such a patheticly depleated bullpen. It makes more sense to me to wait untill Kip either gets shelled or doesn't before announcing this move. Plus why the pressure to move Glove to the rotation when I think we need to maintain some decent pitchers in the bullpen now and in the future. Middle relief is thankless but it's getting more credit of late and I think Glove excells at it.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
But I disagree with this move, although I understand it's logic, I hat to see such a patheticly depleated bullpen. It makes more sense to me to wait untill Kip either gets shelled or doesn't before announcing this move. Plus why the pressure to move Glove to the rotation when I think we need to maintain some decent pitchers in the bullpen now and in the future. Middle relief is thankless but it's getting more credit of late and I think Glove excells at it.

I agree. I know that Gary Glover has pitched well, and I know that we've taken pitchers from the pen this season (Lowe, Garland), but this is getting ridiculous. In this temporary 6-man rotation, our pen now consists of:

Foulke, Howry, Biddle, Embree, Ginter.

That's not really encouraging. Only Foulke and Ginter don't make me a complete nervous wreck when they're brought in the game, and even then, I'm not on Relax Street, either.