PDA

View Full Version : Selig nixes Dodger TV deal and divorce deal

Fenway
06-20-2011, 06:51 PM
http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&id=439442&postId=439442&postUserId=7&sessionToken=&catId=5217&curAbsIndex=0&resultsUrl=DID%3D1%26DFCL%3D1000%26DSB%3Drank%2523 desc%26DBFQ%3DuserId%253A7%26DL.w%3D%26DL.d%3D10%2 6DQ%3DsectionId%253A5217%26DPS%3D0%26DPL%3D3

This almost assures Frank will fail to meet payroll in 10 days

Lip Man 1
06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Which means if MLB interpets the rules the way they should EVERY Dodger automatically becomes a free agent.

Lip

downstairs
06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Quick side question: do baseball players (or any sports team athlete) get paid 52 weeks per year?

Like, you always hear that a player got suspended 1 game and therefore lost 1/162 of his pay that year. Not 1/365.

downstairs
06-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Which means if MLB interpets the rules the way they should EVERY Dodger automatically becomes a free agent.

Lip

Is that really a rule? Serious question.

Fenway
06-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Lip

I would assume MLB would cover payroll to prevent that from happening.

The legal chess game is a doozy - The McCourt's annouince a settlement knowing Bud would do this..this will get really ugly now.

Daver
06-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Only if a paycheck is actually missed, if payroll is made from sources outside the Dodgers then the players remain under contract, as there will have been no breach of contract.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
MLB would take over operations, as they did with the Montreal Expos. Right?

DSpivack
06-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I would assume MLB would cover payroll to prevent that from happening.

The legal chess game is a doozy - The McCourt's annouince a settlement knowing Bud would do this..this will get really ugly now.

If MLB has to make payroll, does that they can then take over the team from the McCourts?

Lamp81
06-20-2011, 10:18 PM

They also had to take over the Rangers last year. I think Nolan Ryan was left in charge, and then his group won the team in the bankruptcy fight.

soxfanreggie
06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
If MLB has to make payroll, does that they can then take over the team from the McCourts?

I think that would depend on what a judge says about what Selig ruled on this TV deal. If the judge would allow the deal, McCourt could argue that Selig only ruled the way he did to take over the team.

I think Selig just wants to get someone he likes in charge of the team, and I also think a court will end up making the final ruling.

Fenway
06-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Your head will spin after reading this

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2011/06/20/commissioner-selig-frank-mccourt-must-go-a-petition/

McCourt it appears never put up a dime of his own money to buy the Dodgers...

Railsplitter
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Quick side question: do baseball players (or any sports team athlete) get paid 52 weeks per year?

Like, you always hear that a player got suspended 1 game and therefore lost 1/162 of his pay that year. Not 1/365.
1/162 > 1/365

Is this ruling really in The Best Intrests of Baseball?

Daver
06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
1/162 > 1/365

I would say that keeping a team from disbanding in the middle of the season is in MLB's best interest.

06-21-2011, 01:30 PM
This is interesting

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BGczpgptZJk/S4A9z4XGAqI/AAAAAAAAAAY/LqreOf7X3lI/s640/Flowchart.jpg

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2011, 04:42 PM

I wonder if they will run the franchise so badly it will force the team to move, like MLB did with the Expos (though Loria helped immensely).

DSpivack
06-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I wonder if they will run the franchise so badly it will force the team to move, like MLB did with the Expos (though Loria helped immensely).

MLB had an agenda wanting the team to move.

Dodgers aren't going anywhere.

southside rocks
06-21-2011, 04:59 PM
There was some coverage of this in today's NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/sports/baseball/baseball-rejects-dodgers-tv-deal.html?_r=1&ref=sports

In the article it notes that a key component of the deal is a $385 million upfront loan to McCourt from Fox, of which $211.5 million would finance team operations. The rest would be used to repay franchise debt ($80M), and $23.5 million would repay most of a personal loan from Fox that McCourt used to meet payroll last month. Also, $10 million would pay the McCourts’ legal fees and $10 million "would be spent as they desire."

It also notes that Selig's objection to the proposed deal seems to be because of the $385M loan, and although I have never been accused of thinking like Bud Selig, I have to wonder why Frank McCourt should be handed $10M for his legal fees -- which I assume are related to his divorce proceedings and not to team matters -- and another $10M to spend on whatever he likes.

And a personal loan from Fox to meet team payroll last month? McCourt's finances are a royal mess, to say the least. :?:

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2011, 05:12 PM
MLB had an agenda wanting the team to move.

Dodgers aren't going anywhere.

Yea, I know. Selig just wants to get McCourt out of there anyway possible.

Hitmen77
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Your head will spin after reading this

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2011/06/20/commissioner-selig-frank-mccourt-must-go-a-petition/

McCourt it appears never put up a dime of his own money to buy the Dodgers...

:thud: Incredible.

No way. The Dodgers location is a gold mine. It's only the McCourts that are running them into the ground. Put the franchise under capable ownership and they could quickly become a powerhouse with the help of local TV revenue and the Dodgers history of strong ticket sales.

DSpivack
06-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Yea, I know. Selig just wants to get McCourt out of there anyway possible.

Fine by me.

downstairs
06-21-2011, 06:31 PM
1/162 > 1/365

Well my question was just curiosity because I'm curious how a suspension without pay affects a player if they're paid during the season or spread across 52 weeks?

Daver
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Well my question was just curiosity because I'm curious how a suspension without pay affects a player if they're paid during the season or spread across 52 weeks?

Salary is figured on a 162 game season, how it gets paid out is dependent on each players contract.

Lamp81
06-22-2011, 12:53 AM
So much of this could have been prevented by a pre-sale investigation of McCourt's finances. In the Bowie Kuhn era, the Sox were sold to Debartolo, but they investigated him, didn't like his gambling ties, and allowed the sale to the Reinsdorf group.

BTW, the Dodgers are the 2nd most iconic MLB team, behind the Yankees. There is no way that MLB is going to move them like the Expos. Where would they go? The Athletics and Rays will be moved before the Dodgers.

By current standards, Dodger Stadium is ancient. I don't know if they will eventually need a new stadium, maybe they can build a complex that would include an NFL stadium. But they surely will stay in the LA metro area.

Red Barchetta
06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
So much of this could have been prevented by a pre-sale investigation of McCourt's finances. In the Bowie Kuhn era, the Sox were sold to Debartolo, but they investigated him, didn't like his gambling ties, and allowed the sale to the Reinsdorf group.

BTW, the Dodgers are the 2nd most iconic MLB team, behind the Yankees. There is no way that MLB is going to move them like the Expos. Where would they go? The Athletics and Rays will be moved before the Dodgers.

By current standards, Dodger Stadium is ancient. I don't know if they will eventually need a new stadium, maybe they can build a complex that would include an NFL stadium. But they surely will stay in the LA metro area.

I believe the Dodgers just spent a bunch of $$$ on renovations and I think they have more planned once the current financial storm is over.

I also think the days of multi-purpose stadiums are over.

Fenway
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
I believe the Dodgers just spent a bunch of $$$ on renovations and I think they have more planned once the current financial storm is over.

McCourt renovated the high price seats but the upper deck is in horrible shape.

McCourt was all set to combine his Red Sox bid with the Dolan's and Selig went to Frank and said if you drop out, I will get you the next team that becomes available. Selig just wanted to make sure Dolan didn't get a club.

Frank would have built a new park on his parking lots that actually were on the harbor and sold the Fenway land for big money as land in the Fens is very valuable.

downstairs
06-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Salary is figured on a 162 game season, how it gets paid out is dependent on each players contract.

Ahhhhh.. OK. I figured there was a standard set by the CBA.

downstairs
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
McCourt renovated the high price seats but the upper deck is in horrible shape.

McCourt was all set to combine his Red Sox bid with the Dolan's and Selig went to Frank and said if you drop out, I will get you the next team that becomes available. Selig just wanted to make sure Dolan didn't get a club.

Frank would have built a new park on his parking lots that actually were on the harbor and sold the Fenway land for big money as land in the Fens is very valuable.

Why would the land that Fenway occupies be more valuable than the parking lot land? I've only been to Fenway once and don't recall the layout of everything. (May have been the fact that it was a trade show and the beer was free. :cool:)

Hitmen77
06-22-2011, 12:38 PM

Good point about MLB under Selig turning a blind eye to McCourt's finances when he bought the team.

As far as Dodger Stadium goes, it may be turning 50 next year, but I don't think it's going anywhere as long as Dodger ownership sinks money into renovating the rest of the facility.

I think Dodger Stadium is one of those iconic places that has built up a lot of history over the last 50 years. I don't see the Dodgers leaving Chavez Ravine in the foreseeable future.

Fenway
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Why would the land that Fenway occupies be more valuable than the parking lot land? I've only been to Fenway once and don't recall the layout of everything. (May have been the fact that it was a trade show and the beer was free. :cool:)

It sits right between the hospital complex and BU - and has become very trendy for condos

http://goo.gl/maps/4J6o

Lamp81
06-22-2011, 11:53 PM

I didn't think they would build a multi-purpose stadium with a NFL team. There are only 2 1/2 of those left, Miami/Oakland/Toronto, and they aren't the greatest for watching baseball.

I was trying to say they would do something like Kansas City, where there is a stadium complex, that share parking and other facilities.