PDA

View Full Version : Remember the days ...

Moses_Scurry
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
when these series with the cubs actually meant something? I remember there being the entire home page of WSI dedicated to the series. Recaps of the spectacular sweep of '99 come to mind. There would be multiple articles previewing the series and discussing the pro's and con's of interleague play with the cubs. Some of them were quite venomous.

I also remember when Jerry Manuel set the rotation in advance specifically so the top three pitchers would be pitching the cub series (pretty stupid when you think about it, especially if there was a division rival series following the cub series).

I remember when Jerry Manuel also took great precautions to guarantee that there would be no Sosa hop in one of the series. I think in the same series, Jose Valentin hit a dinger and proceeded to do the Sammy finger tap and point to the sky upon crossing home plate.

People on here would be downright pissed if the Sox lost a game to the cubs, moreso than the twins or jndjans.

Will it ever be the same? I think it will be if both teams are in contention during the same season. You can't just blame 2005 for the declining interest. The 2006 series with AJ and Michael Barrett was the epitomy of the crosstown series.

For the record, I don't miss any of the bull**** of previous years. I wouldn't have a problem at all if these games were discontinued.

kittle42
06-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I can't even unload my tickets for tomorrow at face.

DrCrawdad
06-20-2011, 11:19 AM
when these series with the cubs actually meant something? I remember there being the entire home page of WSI dedicated to the series. Recaps of the spectacular sweep of '99 come to mind. There would be multiple articles previewing the series and discussing the pro's and con's of interleague play with the cubs. Some of them were quite venomous.

I also remember when Jerry Manuel set the rotation in advance specifically so the top three pitchers would be pitching the cub series (pretty stupid when you think about it, especially if there was a division rival series following the cub series).

I remember when Jerry Manuel also took great precautions to guarantee that there would be no Sosa hop in one of the series. I think in the same series, Jose Valentin hit a dinger and proceeded to do the Sammy finger tap and point to the sky upon crossing home plate.

People on here would be downright pissed if the Sox lost a game to the cubs, moreso than the twins or jndjans.

Will it ever be the same? I think it will be if both teams are in contention during the same season. You can't just blame 2005 for the declining interest. The 2006 series with AJ and Michael Barrett was the epitome of the crosstown series.

For the record, I don't miss any of the bull**** of previous years. I wouldn't have a problem at all if these games were discontinued.

I disagree. The Sox World Series Title made the '06 games even more intense for Cubbie Clowns. In fact, the Sox World Series Title and gains in popularity are what led to the Cubbies spending sprees and increasing anger & angst in their fanbase. The failures to equal or one up the Sox World Series Title then plays a part too in the drop in attendance at Wrigley.

hawkjt
06-20-2011, 11:19 AM
I want the Sox to win,like always,because they are trying to get back to .500. Sweep this series and they are 38-38. That would be big.

I still get an extra thrill at winning these games,but I might be the exception,I guess.
The Cubs are out of it,while the Sox need these games desperately.
Go get them,Sox.

rcescato
06-20-2011, 11:54 AM
I want the Sox to win,like always,because they are trying to get back to .500. Sweep this series and they are 38-38. That would be big.

I still get an extra thrill at winning these games,but I might be the exception,I guess.
The Cubs are out of it,while the Sox need these games desperately.
Go get them,Sox.

I agree its important we get to and above .500 now. Its the perfect homestand for it. 6-0 or 5-1 although the nationals have been playing good lately. Then we go to rockies and to the dump after that. We have to win alot of these games if we want to really get back in it. None of this matters though if we cant beat the Tigers and Twins.

DumpJerry
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I can't even unload my tickets for tomorrow at face.
I unloaded all three games for almost $100 over face ($130 for $48 tickets). One of the games sold about two weeks after Opening Day and the Cubs were already playing to an empty Urinal. The other two sold in March when the Cubs were five outs away from the World Series (as they seem to be every March).

Irishsox1
06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
For me, without Steroid Sosa and the Tribune to root against, I am totally ambivalent towards the Cubs.

kittle42
06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
I unloaded all three games for almost $100 over face ($130 for $48 tickets). One of the games sold about two weeks after Opening Day and the Cubs were already playing to an empty Urinal. The other two sold in March when the Cubs were five outs away from the World Series (as they seem to be every March).

I have tickets for tonight and tomorrow and was planning on going to both, but now have to travel for work tomorrow. Still going tonight, but by the time I knew I couldn't use Tuesday night's tickets, there was no market left.

Harry Potter
06-20-2011, 01:52 PM
What's really crazy is the fact that you can still go buy tickets online at Ticketmaster but with the whole dynamic pricing concept, the lower reserved tickets are currently $90 :scratch:

Risk
06-20-2011, 02:12 PM
For me, without Steroid Sosa and the Tribune to root against, I am totally ambivalent towards the Cubs.

That, plus 2005 did it for me.

Risk

FielderJones
06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Will Ohman hopes (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_06_20_chnmlb_chamlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_home&c_id=cws) that buffoonery is kept to a minimum. I approve of those sentiments.

34rancher
06-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Will Ohman hopes (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_06_20_chnmlb_chamlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_home&c_id=cws) that buffoonery is kept to a minimum. I approve of those sentiments.

Can we send him back to the cubs for the next week, so that our hitting goes up? I seriously despise having former cubs on the roster. And especially ones that SUCK.

TomBradley72
06-20-2011, 03:21 PM
My interest level has gone way down since 2005.

But I will say- the last few summers- I've gone into the series not really caring- but once the games are being played- they are very entertaining with a unique atmosphere vs. the typical regular season series.

And I still have a little dread of losing the series and enduring grief from Cubs fans.

Sox
06-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Here's hoping that the Sox sweep this series and as you pointed out so well that the "buffoonery is kept to a minimum."

kaufsox
06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
I watched the series premier of Fallen Skies last night and just kept up on the game via twitter. Two Sub .500 teams isn't exactly appointment television (I'm not sure if Fallen Skies will be either, :(: )

FielderJones
06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I seriously despise having former cubs on the roster.

Even ones that throw two perfect innings?

hawkjt
06-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I do not care who is on the field vs the Sox...the games are still interesting to me. And last nite was a tense taut game,that was compelling to the end. If you avoid watching the Sox this week,you are not a real baseball fan,imo.

sox1970
06-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I do not care who is on the field vs the Sox...the games are still interesting to me. And last nite was a tense taut game,that was compelling to the end. If you avoid watching the Sox this week,you are not a real baseball fan,imo.

Yep, it's your opinion.

I'm not avoiding the games, but I am avoiding (or trying) the coverage. It's stale. It's old. And at the end of the day, it's just three games between two under .500 teams.

Moses_Scurry
06-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Well I can't watch the games unless they are on WGN :angry: .

I did follow the game on my Ipad. While I'm pretty pissed that the Sox lost, I can say that unlike previous years, I am at a similar or lower level of "pissed" as when they lose to any other team. The fact that it is the cubs hasn't really entered my mind.

AnkleSox
06-21-2011, 02:40 PM
In the beginning years of interleague play, the Bulls, Hawks, and Bears were all pretty dreadful (with the exception of a few good years for the Bears) so this rivalry was a lot more pronounced.

The Sox winning in '05 may have taken a bit of a load off the shoulders of Sox fans, but there was still quite a bit of intensity in the years that followed. I think the Bulls return to relevancy, in addition to the Stanley Cup and what looks to be a perpetually competitive Hawks team have contributed to the recent apathy towards the crosstown series.

Bob Roarman
06-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Will it ever be the same? I think it will be if both teams are in contention during the same season. You can't just blame 2005 for the declining interest. The 2006 series with AJ and Michael Barrett was the epitomy of the crosstown series.

Well I think people have done some growing up when it comes to this series since seeing what really matters in 2005. I think some fans (on both sides)now see it as what it is: Six games on the schedule. Nothing more, nothing less. Important a series as any other series against a non-division team.

They can try to pump up the "importance" or excitement artificially by creating a bull**** award to compete for, but no, it's never going to be the same. And that's a good thing.

Moses_Scurry
06-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Well I think people have done some growing up when it comes to this series since seeing what really matters in 2005. I think some fans (on both sides)now see it as what it is: Six games on the schedule. Nothing more, nothing less. Important a series as any other series against a non-division team.

They can try to pump up the "importance" or excitement artificially by creating a bull**** award to compete for, but no, it's never going to be the same. And that's a good thing.

It's not just the fans. The team views the series differently. You don't see Ozzie setting the rotation for the series. You don't see the Sox players mocking the cubs and cub players starting fights. The media has even lightened up (of course, hacks like Mariotti and Couch disappearing helps that).

SOXPHILE
06-22-2011, 09:03 AM
You know, since the Sox won it all in 2005, I keep telling myself these games are just 6 more games on the roster. However, in 2006, flush with the new World Champion banners at U.S. Cellular, I just wanted the Sox to give the Cubs a beat down and their fans to be shut down and embarrassed by that year's "victory tour". I was into it even more than before I think.

In years since then, I still tell myself hey, the Sox ended the argument in '05, Cubs and their stupid fans don't matter, no need to get worked up. But every year, once the games start, I get that nervous feeling in my gut, and I'm living and dying with each and every pitch. I still see the Cubs fans walking around proudly and thinking they are ever so hip with their "white bear holding the bat" backwards hats, and odd assortments of shirts- ( like a new/old Ron Santo jersey, bright blue t-shirt with a huge "cute Cubby face" logo from the 70's uniforms sleeves, "Wrigley Field Bleachers" t-shirts, etc) - and I want to point and laugh in their face and tell them they are the dumbest fans in history cheering for the worst team in North American sports history.

This year, the games are on weeknights, and we're being told there is no buzz. I agreed, didn't worry too much. But, once again, when these games started, it all went out the window, and I went into full Meatball Mode. I was cheering every Sox hit and run, and getting pissed and swearing anytime the Cubs did something. Oh well. Go Sox. Beat the (damn) Cubs.

hawkjt
06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
You know, since the Sox won it all in 2005, I keep telling myself these games are just 6 more games on the roster. However, in 2006, flush with the new World Champion banners at U.S. Cellular, I just wanted the Sox to give the Cubs a beat down and their fans to be shut down and embarrassed by that year's "victory tour". I was into it even more than before I think.

In years since then, I still tell myself hey, the Sox ended the argument in '05, Cubs and their stupid fans don't matter, no need to get worked up. But every year, once the games start, I get that nervous feeling in my gut, and I'm living and dying with each and every pitch. I still see the Cubs fans walking around proudly and thinking they are ever so hip with their "white bear holding the bat" backwards hats, and odd assortments of shirts- ( like a new/old Ron Santo jersey, bright blue t-shirt with a huge "cute Cubby face" logo from the 70's uniforms sleeves, "Wrigley Field Bleachers" t-shirts, etc) - and I want to point and laugh in their face and tell them they are the dumbest fans in history cheering for the worst team in North American sports history.

This year, the games are on weeknights, and we're being told there is no buzz. I agreed, didn't worry too much. But, once again, when these games started, it all went out the window, and I went into full Meatball Mode. I was cheering every Sox hit and run, and getting pissed and swearing anytime the Cubs did something. Oh well. Go Sox. Beat the (damn) Cubs.

Agree. For me, these games are still special,and when they lose them,it ruins the day more than normal. I still go back to the relative ineptitude of both teams this year detracting from the buzz. If either team was in first,or close, more intensity. Most of the years in the last decade,both teams have been in the hunt.